Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I have a question for y'all. My lapband has not kicked in yet (i haven't had a fill yet). So when I "diet" and get really hungry, my body gets weak and light headed. You know how ketosis feels when you stand up too quickly and your head swims? So if your lapband restricts how much you eat--don't you still get that ketosis feeling? Today at work I broke out in a cold sweat--it was uncontrollable and embarassing. I am through menopause. I felt so hungry. Don't you still get those feelings if you cut calories down to 1000/day?

I don't do high Protein only - I have a healthy mix of foods and have never had this problem - you may need to look at what you are eating - our bodies do need carbs just healthy ones.. When I get hungry I eat extra veggies - I don't find that for me that my band takes away all my hunger but do find if I eat hard Proteins and not slider foods that I do stay full longer..

JB FLORIDA,

What makes you think you're not "doing it yourself" by having the band. Don't YOU have to decide to do it and go through the process of doctors, tests and insurance? Don't YOU have to make the choice not to have high caloric drinks, and ice cream, etc that would screw up the band's usefulness? Isn't it YOU who decides to stop eating when you feel full rather than continue to stuff it down? And exercise?

You did it yourself and will continue to do it yourself.....this time successfully. IF you prefer, you can just not tell anyone you had a band and let them enjoy how beautiful you look on terms they can understand. If you don't think they'll get it, don't get into it. But if you can talk to them, tell them that the band was and is hard work, but a system that helps you to stay on the right path. But it's your path that you've created and follow and work at daily. The band's just your GPS to make the path a little easier to follow!

Have a great trip and take no prisoners!

Gwen - Well said - We are doing the work - the band is just a helper..

Yeah me! I sailed through with flying colors and am now on mushies. They said I had lost 20 lbs from my last visit on July 10. I can start "real food" next week. My dr has 4 food phases that can take 4 to 8 wks, but I was told I could skip "pureed" and go to mushies. What a wonderful 36th anniversary gift today held. I only have soreness and some pain at the port incision site, but the PA told me this was normal. I am cleared to start my Water aerobics again next week. I am so happy! :biggrin2:

BevDi - Congratulations !!!

Denise, are you continuing to lose? I noticed Indio is still losing (although at a slower rate). I am just curious about goal weight and what the doc recommends as you are at your goal. Do they ever remove a little of the fill, or just figure you will stop losing if they just leave well enough alone? OMW, I wish I could hurry up and get this band. I keep thinking up questions. DH always tells me I tend to analyze too much (drives him crazy sometimes...). Can I help it? come from a family of scientists/engineers!! hopeless.

JoannMarie - I set my original goal at 170 (going from 250) then moved it back to 160 when I got in the 180 - moved to to 150 then back to 160 cuz even when I was 170 I didn't think that I could get to 150 (haven't been there since my early 20's) I reached goal 11 months 1 week out for my goal of 160 and have continued my losing - 145 is my stopping point - I just want a healthy bmi - I look like i weigh 120 and I don't want to lose anymore weight and am happy where I am at.

I now have to learn to maintain which is a whole nother issue - I was rewarded each week from all my healthy eating and exercise by seeing the numbers on the scale go down - now I have to work on just keeping the same number all the time. I have to learn that I can add a few calories to my diet (what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare this is) This in it's self is scary adding more calories to my daily intake and worry that I will keep adding and then gain - I have given myself a 5 lbs limit - i will never again allow myself to gain more than 5 lbs without taking it off immediately - no more ok 5 lbs no biggie then 2 months later another 5 lbs - so on an so for then I will be back to 250...

Well, my big day is finally here! Wish me luck! I am anxious to here from the other August 6th banders who are going through this with me today.

Mary - Hugs Love & Prayers...

Just "waxing philosophically" this morning.

:thumbup:

about

SAGGIES -

I can live with them! - definitely better than bulgies.

Finding a waistline under all that unhealthy abdominal fat is two-fold pleasure - both external and internal.:cool2:

about

food -

Just my own observation but a pet-peeve after countless diets!

Why oh why must 99% of the discussion be about food?

I/we obsess about it enough without having to have our consciousness directed back to it continuously.

We're grownups -

we've read the books, followed the guidelines, educated ourselves ad nauseum -

most of us know what good food is and what we're supposed to eat for health and nutrition! :glare:

How about focusing some of our new-found mental and emotional energy toward other things - creative, social, humanitarian, educational - whatever . . .

Speaking for myself -

I eat less when I think less about food.

My inner-dinner bell rings often and loudly enough.

Just my early morning ramblings on a pre-breakfast empty stomach and a post-sleep active mind. :wink_smile:

Elayne - Love your ramblings... I talk about food alot myself even now, if you go to parties have family gathering etc - it all seems to revolve around food - it's on the bill boards - tv - radio etc.. It's a fact of life it in our face 24/7 - I notice now how pple eat (fast slow shovel) and what they eat (sugar - greasy) - I am still a food addict - and just for today I have control -

I do feel empowered by my exercise eithic - my healthy eating eithic and my whole new energy levels. But I still think about food.. I still miss pigging out at time.. I am a food addict ...

Good Morning,

I had my surgery Aug 4th. I am confused about something. Last night I drank some vegetable broth, and sipped my Water with Protein bullet in it. When I got up to go to bed, I got real sick to my stomach and started vomiting. I have no idea how much broth I should take at one time. Will some one help me. Tomorrow I can start eating Soup, and yogurt, & applesauce. How much should I eat of it. Also...since my surgery I haven't had a desire to eat. :tongue:

PJ - CALL YOUR DOCTOR - YOU SHOULD NOT BE THROWING UP....

Didn't they give you any guide lines to follow - I think I was full on 4 oz this soon out....

Call your doctor and tell them what happend - do it now...

Hi- I am 54 and new to the lap band as of 6 weeks ago--would love to chat with your group. I am still learning how to navigate this website however !! :)

Welcome - yes it takes awhile to learn :wink:

How many chews does it take to screw in a light bulb?

:thumbup:

More importantly -

How many chews before you swallow?

DH seems to have food in his mouth for a full sitcom before he finally swallows. :glare:

I'm on to the next bite before the first even hits the tongue.

I know this is potential trouble

so we practiced on grapes on our canoe trip Monday.

(I know - too much thinking again) :cool2:

I counted max of four chews before my grape went down the chute.

He was still grinding away. :wink_smile:

Am I going to be in trouble?

Should I take lessons from him? :tongue:

My surgeon's dietician says, chew to applesauce consistency. I think that is a helpful guideline.

Yes, you need to work on this. Four chews per bite ain't gonna do it. ;-)

I had my first postop appointment and am cleared for pureed foods. He said ti add one food at a time. I came home and had 1/4 cup of LF cottage cheese. It didn't taste good at all, and I love good cottage cheese, so that was a disappointment. I need to find a better brand. Speaking of eating too fast, I downed that quarter cup in five minutes flat, even eating with my baby spoon. I need to work on pausing between bites. And not getting so hungry!

Orea

orea15 -

that long - 5 minutes?

I'm in deep doo-doo. :wink_smile:

And applesauce consistency sounds just yucky.

I see many bowls of Soup in my future.

Pour an ounce

eat it

and leave the room

go back and repeat.

I was told about 30 chews per bite and put the fork down between bites. This is 30 chews on solid foods, probably not scrambled eggs. But to chew to liquid consistency. I still forget and take too big of bites and swallow too quickly then I get that stuck feeling and I am reminded quickly! :wink_smile:

If you choose (chews?!) the right foods, the additional chewing time can be a pleasure as you savor the flavor. Some of our old food friends will not pass the test. :wink_smile:

If you keep in mind that the opening in your pouch may eventually be about the diameter of a pencil, that might be a good motivation. Easy to plug that drain!

Orea

I assume that the nutritionist-pre-op part of the process will go into depth with this chewing business.

A pencil-width?

Hmmm

I guess I have to envision a funnel overflowing.

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to scrub out my juicer and play with my smoothie maker.

strawberry margaritas and pina coladas before it's too late :thumbup:

GP appointment tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.

Dr. McMacho hasn't been in favor of this surgery in the past.

Hopefully - he'll listen to my well-prepared speech and reconsider.

(and review my latest glucose readings!) :wink_smile:

I counted max of four chews before my grape went down the chute.

He was still grinding away. :wink_smile:

Am I going to be in trouble?

Should I take lessons from him? :thumbup:

Yes, Elayne. You could potentially have a problem! But not if you remember to chew, chew, chew and only start with bites the size of m & m's (according to my Dr.). A few pb's and you'll remember (most of the time) that you need to think about your bites: starting small and pulverizing them before you swallow. Sometimes I still forget--especially when I'm with friends or in a social situation or really hungry--but, believe me, the band WILL remind you once you have some restriction. Good luck in your process!

Hi to everyone else. I read the posts every day but haven't taken the time to write. I'm doing okay--such a slow loser. But I do have better restriction now and am thinking I'm close to or at my sweet spot. How do you ever know? I'm still hungry a lot and much of the time it's REAL stomach hunger.

I definitely am glad I got the band, even with my slow loss. This year since banding has been such a difficult one. I thought the stress would slow down after my father passed away in September of cancer and we were settled into our new home, etc. but then January came and I started a full time job, my dear mother-in-law died in February, and my mother was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Anyway, I know I would have gained, gained, gained if it weren't for the band. So although I haven't been nearly as successful as others, I'm thrilled for this tool that has helped me stay in control.

Good job everyone--I'm so impressed by your success and so proud of all of you. Keep it up--you are my inspiration!

I was eating cottage cheese daily as Breakfast. No more! It just bothers me now and Breakfast is pretty much liquid anyway. But I do miss cottage cheese. I love it fat free with a little splenda.

As to chewing it- it's one those foods that just slide on down. Most you can do is squish them around your teeth, but the problem is that it's easy to eat too much because it goes down so easily.

Hi Ladies (and gents:)

I went on an Alaskan cruise the mid of July, gained 3 lbs and am no ready to get really serious about the rest of my weight loss. As I said in my posting a few weeks ago when I first signed on to this wonderful website: I had my surgery November 2005 - Wow! I can't believe it has been almost three years. My highest weight ever was almost 300 lbs (I'm not sure because I started to lose before I would weigh myself. I lost about 120 lbs and started to gain again - up to about 240 and decided to get banded. I lost 20 almost immediately and then it was real slow. I got down into the 170 and then started to gain weight. I am now 194 - I thought I would never see 190 again but here I am. I haven't been to my md in about a year. I moved out of state and haven't looked for a new md.

I have to say I go through these times where I can't keep anything down and other times when I can eat almost anything. I wonder if my band has slipped and moves around. I know, I know I need to see a doctor. But even during these times of not being able to keep anything down, I don't lose weight. I don't understand it. Anyone experience any of my woes of above. I promise not be be a complainer. I get so excited when I read about any of you succeeding along. Obtaining a goal weight (160) would be sooooo cool.

:thumbup:MY SURGERY WAS GREAT! I had my banding TODAY and I am sitting here AT HOME feeling good with just a little cramping, better than PMS. My surgeon in Asheville, NC is awesome. I have one small puncture and one 2 1/2 inch incision for the port. THAT IS ALL! This is some thing new, I think. I came home 7 hours after arriving at St. Joseph's Hospital, and then had a 2 hour ride which I spent napping. (My husband was driving!) I am looking forward to a speedy recovery and a whole new life!

Wow! You sound great for having surgery today!! Only 2 incisions? I have 5 tiny ones. Must be a new technique.

Hope you continue to do well.

Congratulations and welcome to BandLand! :-)

I had my surgery Monday the 4th. I am having so much trouble getting my 50 grams of Protein a day. I mix the protein bullets with crystal light but I can't gulp them like I use to. Any ideas anyone? Tomorrow I can start eating Soup, slim fast low carb, v8 juice, yogurt. I have not been hungry at all since surgery.

Momlambert,

How do you put 4.2 cc in a 4 cc band? Also, if you have had 15 fills--is that like a quarter cc each time? Is that worth it to you and the doctor to do so little at a time? My doctor said to do 1 cc the1st time and then .5 each time after that.