Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Long2BThin,

I found your post really exciting to read and am so very happy for you. I've been stuck on the same weight for 2 weeks now and have been feeling down about it but I go for a 2nd fill on Tuesday so maybe that will kick it off again. Have a great cruise.

Can anybody tell me why one person can lose 40-50 lbs and go down 2-4 dress sizes and others are still wearing the same clothes she was wearing when the surgery took place? I have lost nearly 40 lbs, and I am still wearing the clothes I did back when. Yes, a little looser, but still wearable. What a bummer!!!!!!!Cant wait till I can go down a size. lol.

PJ: I haven't tried popcorn yet. I've been stuck on Proteins and it was not fun....guess I am afraid of popcorn, even though I loved it before the band.

Sunshine: The sizing thing must just be because all of our bodies are so very different. I carry most of my weight pretty much all over, so it takes a long time for it to show up on me. Then, when I lose more, I tend to keep it (ugh) in my legs and top, which makes the clothing issue difficult, since that is awkward for clothes to fit correctly.

I have a few dear friends who carry most of their weight in the middle and when they lose, their dress sizes drop instantly. Also, I see a huge difference in stores, manufacturers and types of clothing. For example: I weigh 281 pounds now. I wear size 20 pants, and 2x tops, but that can vary slightly depending on where I shop.

Men's clothing sizes are so much more uniform and understandable than women's sizes, aren't they?

Nancy

On the leftovers issue, I was meaning any kind of leftovers. For instance I will bake vegetables on a cookie sheet and I have leftovers to eat the next day. I don't think I could eat any leftover meat though unless it was something real soft. On the clothes issue, I am down a size in clothes but most of all, my undies are too big (tee hee). On the Vitamins, I have compared the Bariatric Advantage lap band vitamins to a good Multivitamin from Sams club. The bariatric one has the Calcium rolled into it. They are chewable and their are extra vitamins in it designed especially for lap band patients. I like it because it is one pill, plus I like the idea of the extra vitamins, however, I do believe any good multivitamin will work for us lapbanders. If you go to the Bariatric Advantage.com website, you can look at the ingrediants in their lap band Vitamin (Vitaband) versus your regular vitamin. Then, weigh out the prices per each bottle of vitamins and see what happens.:mad2:

Beckyo

Angelshere

Wow!Talk about differences in sizes - I weigh 281 also but I have to wear a size 24-26 And depending on make and/or quality they can be tight. I have a girl friend who weighs over 300 and swears she wears a size 20. Her clothes are always tight but I have always thought "yeah sure" Now maybe I better believe her. lol What gives with this???? Talk about no two snowflakes being alike looks like no two size vs weight ratio are the same either.:mad2:

Misty: I think a lot of the size variance depends on where we carry our weight. For dresses, I sometimes need a 24 or 22, to get the top to fit. I also like my clothes loose and my pants fairly baggy (I am a teacher and way conservative in my dress). A dear friend, who carries most of her weight in the middle, gave me some pants to wear that she had "undergrown".....I put them on and they fell off! So I put them in the closet, to give to someone else next time I clean out the clothes that are too big. I thanked her, but didn't tell her how big they were on me, as it was a kind gesture and I didn't want to offend her (it was a friend at work, not a close friend). My size 20 jeans practically fell off, and I am embarassed to wear them anymore. I refuse to buy pants until I can get a 1-digit size (ok, maybe when I can wear 10's I mgith buy a pair). The tops are the big problem for me. Eventually, I hope to have a breast reduction, along with all the other plastic surgery I will need (and at my weight and with 150 pounds to go, there will be a lot of needed p.s.). I can't imagine having a normal, evenly proportioned body. That seems almost an impossible dream. However, I am working on it....:thumbup: I may be 60-something before I get there....:Banane34:

Nancy

I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone here. I feel so at home. I got myself in a bit of trouble on my surgery month thread in a reply to a thread titled 'Anyone NOT exercising' (thread has since been moved to rants and raves). I took offense because I felt someone compared themselves to a 50 yr old in a negative way. This person had asked for advice and got very angry at what she got. I meant no ill will just said I was offended by the negative connotation to age. Someone else posted that some 10 yr olds are more mature than 50's, etc. I think I will stick with my fabulous 50 group! The thread got ugly and to think I had a part in it bothers me, though I still don't see how I was attacking or anything to anyone. :confused2::cake::thumbup::Banane34:

I am about to leave this evening for a retirement party for hubby's uncle. Social settings still make me nervous. I need to remember to either not eat, or be very mindful of what I am eating and how much I am chewing as I get distracted socializing. Also many of these folks haven't seen me since my weight loss. I am wearing my new size 20 jeans! :present:

PJ, I eat grilled meat all the time, that has been how we've been cooking mostly in the summer. I stay away from chicken breasts and eat thighs which seem to go down better. I've had steak, pork, just about anything, very small portions.

As far as sizes, I noticed for me it took a long while to go down my first size. One theory is maybe they were really too small to start with and pretty tight so it took longer. Also I think as we lose we need to lose less to have a bigger impact. Think of it in terms of percentage of body fat, if at 300 lbs I lose 10% it's 30 lbs but at 200 lbs it would be 20. Therefore a 200 lb person would have to lose less to have it be more noticeable. These are just my theories. Not proven. ha ha I am getting into 14/16 on top but 20's on bottom. Started at 22/24s on top and 26's on bottom. I just went to Lane Bryant's 40% off sale and decided not to give them any more money today. I'll wait til I need smaller things.

Long - I agree, this thread and Indio's mentor thread are the best. Although, I see that most of us toggle between several of the same threads!

At 248#, my starting weight I wore a 20 pant and a 22/24 shirt, now at 185 I wear at 14/16 shirt and 14/16 pant. I am so amazed at how didderenrt individual wear diffrent sizes when told their weights.

We discussed bra sizes once and I was wearing a42C, now a 40B, almost to a 38B..yippee, but then a friend told me she wore a38 and I had to control myself to keep my eyes from bugging out of my head. There was no way...Aas I have stated before I am enjoying the fact I can by pretty, sexy underclothes and enjoy wearing them..

I am just happy to see the scale move and even more greatful when my sizes go down..

congrats to all on their losses and successes, we are all in a journey to a better, healthier future

I agree with several others that this 50's group is the best. I do check out (and occasionally post) on other threads, but this one is my favorite and my primary support group. Thank you all for sharing. I love our acceptance of each other and our support and encouragement for everyone. It's ok to agree to disagree and everyone's opinion counts, but here we all have the same goal: good health. Our common goals and struggles unite us....

Yay 50's group!

Nancy

hello all I am a newbie to this, I have a surgery date of 9-15-08. I have been reading alot of your blogs and have learned alot . what exacly is a pb? I just turned 50 this year I am excited and nervous about my upcoming surgery. My biggest concern is the fills. I am having my surgery done in Mexico. Does anyone know of a doctor in N California who might do my fills? I live near Stockton or Sacramneto.

I eat left overs all the time. It would be a big problem for me if I couldn't eat them because I am always bringing food home. I would suppose it's because I always put some sort of sauce or ketchup on stuff to make it moist.

I have been eating very badly since my dad got here for my son's wedding. It makes me nervous that I am up 5 lbs. I will lose it when I come back from Arizona after I take my dad home. I have to remember that I can go back to following the rules and the weight will come off again.

Try dipping chicken breast in spinach dip. It was on another thread and it's really good!