Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi All! Just had to get on here and tell everyone that I went to my family dr today due to feeling light headed, dizzy and weak for the past few days. I'm jumping with joy!!!! She has cut my blood pressure meds in half and my Water pill in half also. I have been on those meds for years. I never thought I would see the day I would be coming off or decreasing them. I've only lost about 35 lbs, so by the time I reach my goal I'm going to have a fully piggy bank from prescription savings. lol.

Linda

Hey Lori, yesterday you were concerned about some blood work your PCP had done - you'd gotten a call and were not there to take it, waiting for Dr. office to call you back. Is everything okay? I hope they were calling you to tell you to get off one of your meds. That would be good news!

Thanks for asking Joann. So far everything is good. The reason they called is when she took the blood she used the wrong vial or cylinder for the 'vitamin B test' and I had to go back and have it redrawn at the lab at the hospital downstairs as she didn't have that tube. So off I go this morning, I had to register at admittance just for a blood draw. Get there, get it done, then as I am getting to my car, they are chasing me down in the parking lot, she said they used the wrong cylinder again, they used lavender and they should've used green, I needed to be redrawn AGAIN! I was fuming by now. BUt back I go, I get there and the other gal in there was on the phone with Quest labs. Turns out as long as they noted it they could do the test on the lavender topped cylinder. I asked why they couldn't just put a different color cap on or pour it in, but I guess those tubes have different additives to them. She said it was only the 2nd time she did this test. I know my surgeon is checking all my Vitamin and nutrient levels. So I am sure they won't have the results tomorrow when I go for my gall bladder post op so will keep my band 3 mos post op appt next week to go over all the labs. just means another trip. Oh and I have no more meds to get off of!! I got of my b/p one a week post op!!!!!!

Hi All! Just had to get on here and tell everyone that I went to my family dr today due to feeling light headed, dizzy and weak for the past few days. I'm jumping with joy!!!! She has cut my blood pressure meds in half and my Water pill in half also. I have been on those meds for years. I never thought I would see the day I would be coming off or decreasing them. I've only lost about 35 lbs, so by the time I reach my goal I'm going to have a fully piggy bank from prescription savings. lol.

Linda

Linda, same thing happend to me only 1 week post op. I thought something was seriously wrong from the surgery as I was so dizzy and weak. And it turned out to be the b/p meds as well. My b/p was 80/50 and my pulse was 42. They had me go off totally and it's been good or borderline since. That's $75 every 3 mos I was paying for those pills. I want a Coach purse so bad maybe I should bank those $75 payments and save towards it!

Thanks for answering. I do not have a lot of pre op instructions at this time, but I do know that I have to be on Clear Liquids for 12 hours before and two weeks after. I do not like Water or fruit juices and have a hard time with fruity taste. I have always been a diet coke or diet pepsi drinker. It is hard to drink a lot of liquids with my job. It looks like I am going to have to change a lot of things. I am just afraid of failure....

Lori, what a great idea! A non-food reward for goals attained (not that you have ever rewarded yourself with food of course, but many of us have). Big goals broken down into smaller goals (how 'bout that 50 pounds), and a non-food reward for each victory. At the end of it all you have a tangible record of all your success. hmmmm. You may just have something here...

Somehow I am not getting notice of posts so I thought I would post and see if that helps

Mistymoon - at the top of the page you will find a heading "thread tools". In that area you can subscribe to this thread. If you're having trouble getting notices just by posting and you haven't tried subscribing, give that a try.

BTW - WELCOME! These folks are very helpful and supportive.

Somehow I am not getting notice of posts so I thought I would post and see if that helps

A couple of times I have, for no apparent reason, stopped getting notices also. Both times I have found that they were going in to my "junk mail" folder. Then I have to click on "NOT JUNK MAIL" and they start coming again. Just a suggestion as to one thing you might check on.

12_5_5.gif

Thanks for answering. I do not have a lot of pre op instructions at this time, but I do know that I have to be on clear liquids for 12 hours before and two weeks after. I do not like Water or fruit juices and have a hard time with fruity taste. I have always been a diet coke or diet pepsi drinker. It is hard to drink a lot of liquids with my job. It looks like I am going to have to change a lot of things. I am just afraid of failure....

I feel your pain!!! Only thing I drank prior to surgery was coffee, wine and Diet Coke!! I quit the Diet Coke about two months before surgery. I bought myself a couple of water bottles... I never go anywhere without one now, AND, I started drinking Crytal Lite (or a cheaper imitation of same). Now I"m a Crystal Lite addict. All the major grocery stores have their own brand name... Albertson's, Wal-Mart, etc. And I find the store brands don't taste as sweet as Crystal Lite. I'm quite content drinking that instead of Diet Coke now. Try very hard to practice a new habit... always carrying with you something to drink that is heathy. You can do this!! I promise!!

12_4_5.gif

I am so glad that I found the "50 & over gang........I am 67 and am waiting for my date, which I thought would be in a wk or 2 but have been told it could be 2-3 months still. Well I would like to hear from some of the older women as to how they are doing. I am alittle scard because of my age, but am excited also. I had to get a letter from 2 of my doc. to have this done because I am over 65. Well i am looking for any info that will be helpful.

Thank you and can't wait to be banded and join all of you that have been.

Ma :thumbup:

I am so glad that I found the "50 & over gang........I am 67 and am waiting for my date, which I thought would be in a wk or 2 but have been told it could be 2-3 months still. Well I would like to hear from some of the older women as to how they are doing. I am a little scared because of my age, but am excited also. I had to get a letter from 2 of my doc. to have this done because I am over 65. Well i am looking for any info that will be helpful.

Thank you and can't wait to be banded and join all of you that have been. Ma :thumbup:

Hi, Rosie,

There are lots of us "Old Chicks" who are doing quite well

and enjoying a lot of success!

You will do fine!!

Do you have any specific questions??

We're here to help.

You might also check out the 60+ thread.

Another good place to hang out for support and encouragement.

WELCOME!!

23_3_36.gif

Just wanting to know if anyone has had their surgery in Idaho? I went to the New U and will have my surgery at the medical center in Idaho Falls, Idaho. would like to hear from anyone that has.

Thanks Ma :confused2:

.....I am still stumbling around here, so any help would greatly be appricate...I have tried to upload pic to my album but guess i am missing the boat also wondering how you get your pic for your post. I was able to get a pic for my profile, but after that I am lost.

Did you have to wait along time after you went to all your appt. and classes and mmet with you Doc.? They said they would call me for a date, which i thought would be pretty soon. Today I call to see about how long it would be befor i get a date...They said that first they needed the paper work back from the Psychological Eveluation and then the doc. would have to go over them and then he would contact the insurance co. and he would call me with a date. Then I guess I have to go on a liver diet, to shrink the liver, and then I don't know what else.....I started this in May....is this the norm

.....I am still stumbling around here, so any help would greatly be appricate...I have tried to upload pic to my album but guess i am missing the boat also wondering how you get your pic for your post. I was able to get a pic for my profile, but after that I am lost.

Did you have to wait along time after you went to all your appt. and classes and met with you Doc.? They said they would call me for a date, which i thought would be pretty soon. Today I call to see about how long it would be before i get a date...They said that first they needed the paper work back from the Psychological Evaluation and then the doc. would have to go over them and then he would contact the insurance co. and he would call me with a date. Then I guess I have to go on a liver diet, to shrink the liver, and then I don't know what else.....I started this in May....is this the norm

I started in May of last year and had my surgery 7/20/07. But I had to bug them and bug them and bug them every step of the way. If it's a very busy office, it may be a matter of the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"! I'd probably still be waiting if I hadn't been persistent!!

Once you've uploaded a picture for your profile, I think when you choose the "add avatar" option, that the picture will be there at the end of all their preloaded avatars. Then you just pick that picture that you uploaded and it should show up in your post. But, I have trouble figuring it out every time I try to change my picture.

Did you have to wait along time after you went to all your appt. and classes and mmet with you Doc.? They said they would call me for a date, which i thought would be pretty soon. Today I call to see about how long it would be befor i get a date...They said that first they needed the paper work back from the Psychological Eveluation and then the doc. would have to go over them and then he would contact the insurance co. and he would call me with a date. Then I guess I have to go on a liver diet, to shrink the liver, and then I don't know what else.....I started this in May....is this the norm

Don't know aobut uploading pictures...

But as far as how long - I think that varies widely on the program/office you are at, and your insurance company.

For me, it was from attending the seminar in Dec until April to actually have the surgery. Part of that was that they wanted a 3 month supervised diet before sending to insurance for approval. So it may go faster for you. Even once approved, you will probably need pre-op testing - such as blood work, chest x-ray, EKG, GI series and Gallbladder ultrasound. And probably a history and physicial to clear for anesthesia. And pre-op diet teaching so you know what to expect and plan for. And of course waiting for opening in doctor's office schedule and surgery schedule at the hospital.

I know it seems painfully long to wait for the surgery - I thought it was agonizing 'cuz I just wanted to get it done! But retrospectively, it was good because it truly made me understand what I was getting myself into and be fully committed to making this HUGE lifestyle change. If I had one complaint - it was that I felt they were really not upfront with how long it would take for the whole process...each step they only told me about the next step. I had these ideas that OK, after my next appointment, I would be ready to schedule. And then they'd come up with another hoop to jump through. I felt like I could never plan my life because I didn't know which month my surgery would be in...you know, travel plans, work schedule, etc. I skipped attending a conference for work in the hopes of having surgery in March, only to find that I couldn't get in till April anyhow...

BUT, it was all worth it!

The whole process was relatively quick for me, but I was self pay so had no delays waiting for insurance approvals. I attended my seminar on 4/26, had my initial consult with the surgeon on 5/14, had surgery on 6/5, and that probably could've been sooner but I went on an Alaskan cruise in there and then the surgeon attended a conference the next week. My only complaint is the same as a previous poster's. I'd think I'd have everything done and then find out I needed another screening. I had a psych., pulmonary and labs done thinking that was it. Then he wanted a cardiologist screening. I went for that and then he wanted to do a stress test. Each time had to wait for those appts. When I had all that done, it was getting ahold of the gal who schedules the surgeries. I had to get pretty persistent there. But all worth it in the end, and I fetl much safer going into surgery having had all those screenings. Luckily my insurance did pay for those. Ironically 2 mos later I needed gall bladder surgery and that process was super fast.

I had my post op for my g/b yesterday and all checked out well. He also gave me a fill of 1cc so think I am up to 8.5 in a 14 band or something like that. I was on liquids last night, mushies (eggs) for Breakfast and then solids by lunch. So far so good. And I lost another pound!! The dr wants me back in 6 weeks and to lose 6 lbs by then. That seems totally doable and now I only have 5 to go!

The whole process was relatively quick for me, but I was self pay so had no delays waiting for insurance approvals. I attended my seminar on 4/26, had my initial consult with the surgeon on 5/14, had surgery on 6/5, and that probably could've been sooner but I went on an Alaskan cruise in there and then the surgeon attended a conference the next week. My only complaint is the same as a previous poster's. I'd think I'd have everything done and then find out I needed another screening. I had a psych., pulmonary and labs done thinking that was it. Then he wanted a cardiologist screening. I went for that and then he wanted to do a stress test. Each time had to wait for those appts. When I had all that done, it was getting ahold of the gal who schedules the surgeries. I had to get pretty persistent there. But all worth it in the end, and I fetl much safer going into surgery having had all those screenings. Luckily my insurance did pay for those. Ironically 2 mos later I needed gall bladder surgery and that process was super fast.

I had my post op for my g/b yesterday and all checked out well. He also gave me a fill of 1cc so think I am up to 8.5 in a 14 band or something like that. I was on liquids last night, mushies (eggs) for breakfast and then solids by lunch. So far so good. And I lost another pound!! The dr wants me back in 6 weeks and to lose 6 lbs by then. That seems totally doable and now I only have 5 to go!

Lori, AWESOME WEIGHT LOSS! I go today for a fill. I hope things will pick up for me. I have no restriction. I even ate a piece of steak this week. I cooked for my daughter and I just had to eat. I even ate spaghetti and meat sauce, but I kept the portions very small. SO, I hope today will be the boost I need to move down to another level.