Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi everyone

My name is Martie, I'm 51 and I have decided to have the lap band surgery. I must admit that I am somewhat nerveous but I need to do this. I do have a few questions that perhaps you, my comtemporaries, might be able to answer.

How long is this surgery? Is it a long hospital stay? How soon before you go back to "normal" activities (work, errands.)

This question is for anyone who has had this surgery and can answer about the condition of your skin: If you had lost considerable weight, did or dose your skin sag? I really want to avoid that if that is at all possible.

This is the last of my questions (for now.)

I live in NYC and is there anyone out there who can tell me if your HMO paid for your surgery? I have HIP.

Also (I know I said the one before this was last but), can someone recommend a surgeon?

I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.

Martie

Hi, Martie!

I'm also 51 and was banded May 12 08.

My surgery lasted about 45 minutes. I was in the hospital most of the day, then went home in the evening.

I had surgery on a Monday and returned to work Tuesday the following week, just took it easy on heavy lifting. The area where the port is sewed in was sore for about 10 days.

My HMO did not pay for the surgery because my husband's employer excludes bariatric surgery. I paid for it myself with a loan from my 401K--an investment in myself and my health.

As far as skin goes, so far my skin has been able to keep up with the 55 pounds I've lost. That's one advantage of lap band--that you lose a little more slowly so your skin has a chance to keep up with the weight loss. I doubt I will be so lucky not to have anything sagging. Not sure I would have plastic surgery, unless it's really saggy, but they can do wonders. My local support group had a plastic surgeon come to speak and he showed slides with lots of graphic pictures. They can certainly do wonders. They also have a special package price (like they do for lap band) since most are self-pay. His price was $11K for surgery, hospital, anesthesia for full lower body lift. That isn't too bad, less than I paid for lap band. I would rather sag than have all that extra weight.

I can recommend the most wonderful surgeon in Texas, but I don't know anyone in NY, sorry!

The only place I may need plastic surgery is my arms and the "wings." I have lost a lot of the fat, but the skin is there and it is waving!

Tonight, someone told me that the scar that is left on the arm is much worse than the flappy skin. True? I really want to have tighter arms and I don't think exercise will do the rest of what I want. Any experience with this?

Phyllser, Who pays for your fills. I also have medicare and tricare. Thank you Carol

Every one has been paid for in full by Medicare/Tricare.

Go figure??!!

Maybe because they're all done under fluroscopy so it's billed to radiology????

I don't know, but I'm not asking questions!

:wink2::tt1::wub::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1::tt1:

Phylser, I hope I didn't sound like I was talking politics if I was sorry. Now when football season starts, I might have to root for my Packers. :crying:

Sorry, I was probably overreacting.

Congrats on the shopping!! I've recently been able to buy some 1X & XL's and it is sure exciting!

Packers??? GO SEAHAWKS!!

Phyllser, I noticed you said you are tricare for life. But I also noticed your profile shows you are 64 yrs of age. I thought Tricare for Life was for only over age 65. Reason I'm asking is I'm also 64, and have Tricare Prime. Just wondering if I need to do some checking on changing ins plans.

I've been on disability since 2000, so they put me on Medicare in 2002. As soon as you go on Medicare, you are shifted to Tricare For Life.

My local support group had a plastic surgeon come to speak and he showed slides with lots of graphic pictures. They can certainly do wonders. They also have a special package price (like they do for lap band) since most are self-pay. His price was $11K for surgery, hospital, anesthesia for full lower body lift. That isn't too bad, less than I paid for lap band. I would rather sag than have all that extra weight.

Wow! That's not a bad price!!

Hi everyone

My name is Martie, I'm 51 and I have decided to have the lap band surgery. I must admit that I am somewhat nerveous but I need to do this. I do have a few questions that perhaps you, my comtemporaries, might be able to answer.

How long is this surgery? Is it a long hospital stay? How soon before you go back to "normal" activities (work, errands.)

This question is for anyone who has had this surgery and can answer about the condition of your skin: If you had lost considerable weight, did or dose your skin sag? I really want to avoid that if that is at all possible.

This is the last of my questions (for now.)

I live in NYC and is there anyone out there who can tell me if your HMO paid for your surgery? I have HIP.

Also (I know I said the one before this was last but), can someone recommend a surgeon?

I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.

Martie

Marie - Hi & Welcome I was 52 when banded my insurance required an overnight stay in the hospital - I think my surgery was an hour or so - I was back to work day 6 - desk job.. Saggy skin most likely but this is the way I think about it - what's worse the fat or saggy skin - the saggy skin isn't going to kill you but the fat will. Plus that's what they make plastic surgeron for.. I have lost 105 lbs - my arms are pretty saggy - boob too tummy not too bad and legs - well at 53 I'm not wearing mini skirts so who care.. Can't help on the doc issue - I live in Cali

Just saying hello. Not sure if all my user set-up info was done correctly. I just joined LBT this evening, have been reading posts for a few weeks. I was banded May 12, 2008 by Dr. David Kim in N Richland Hills, Texas, the best doctor I found in all my research. I have had 3 fills in a large (14 cc) band and have lost 54 pounds, so I'm happy about that. I enjoy reading other people's ideas on how to succeed. :crying:

Lapbandnana- Welcome and congrats on your weight loss you are doing great..

I am looking at all the terrific weight losses for all of you since you began the process. I lost 16 pounds before banding, then I was banded on August 6, and I have lost 13 pounds since banding. That seems rather slow to me. I am still on liquids until September 2, then two weeks of soft foods. My first fill is on September 9th. My question: Did you lose more rapidly before or after your fill?

MaryD Hi & Welcome too you are doing great 13 lbs in less than 3 weeks that's 4.33 a week - that is just super - your weight loss will depend on a lot of things how much you have to lose - your food intact - and your physical activitiy.. I know that you feel you should be losing 10 lbs a day but remember we didn't gain 10 lbs in one day so it's not going to come off that fast... Lapbanders on the average lose 1 - 2 lbs a week.. Some lose faster some lose slower - it's very individual - Heck I gotta tell you I lost 100 in 11 months and some weeks I only lost 1/2 lbs - I will tell you that I was alway happy with those 1/2 lbs losses - they added up real fast..

Hi I'm new to this group. I had surgery in Jan. 08 and I am down 55lbs since surgery. I lost 25lbs before. Total 80 lbs. It is slow going now. I went for my 4th fill on Friday. I had restriction before but I am not feeling any now. It is making me nervous. Of course I have not had solid food yet but I will try some today and see how I feel. Then if no restriction I will have to go back to the doctors. Well congratulations you are all doing great and I hope you feel as good as I feel.:wink2:

Nancy you are so great - you will know if you have restricition once you eat some solid protein..

YIPPEEE!!! I DID IT...I DID IT!!! I BROKE THE 300LB MARK!!! LOST 4.4LBS THIS WEEK FOR A TOTAL OF 52.2LBS!! I LOVE LOOOSSSIIIEEE!!!

FRAN

XO

Fran - CONGRATS.... :tt1:

THAT's AWESOME!!!

Contratulations on your achievement! I can so recall only a few short months ago I crossed that 300 border, and vowed never to return again!! Now my goal is crossing into onederland! Only 29 pounds to that mark. Isn't it fun? Kudos!

Hey, I have to share a NSV. Yesterday I rode one of our horses for the FIRST time. I haven't been on a horse for 30 years!!! When I was young my dream was to have a horse someday and I took a few lessons when I was 21. (Only had done trail rides when I was a kid). My daughters ride and each has a horse, but in all the years of being chief groom and bill payor, I never rode them. Yesterday I just decided it was time--even though I still have a way to go before it would actually be fair to ask them haul me around. Anyway, it was only walking around the arena, trying to remember how to do this...after he was good and tired out from my daughter riding him, so that he wouldn't do anything silly...but hey, it was fun!!!

I didn't remember how HIGH up and FAR from the ground you are up there, at the mercy of this animal! :-) I plan to do this more often now. :tt1:

Lizalee - What a GREAT NSV... Happy for you...

I'll feel more inspiring -- and inspired! -- once I start losing again. This mushy period is trying my patience. :tt1:

Orea - Yep each stage gets old after awhile - how much longer to regular food.

Almost forgot to add my exciting (to me) news. I went shopping at Penney's today with my daughter. I had to take the purse I bought back since I got my new one. Well they had a bunch of things on sale, of course. I had seen this sweater last week when shopping with my MIL but didn't want to risk trying it on and having it be too small with her along. It was in the 'normal' sizes after all. Well....today it was on sale and it fit!!!!!!!!! The Large even fit but was snug and i wouldn't be able to wear something under it comfortably (it was a put on a sweater because you are cold type sweater) so it was still XL, BUT....I got some long sleeved tshirts and they are just L's no X in the size at all!!!!!! I was just elated. My plan is from this point forward to try and not to have to buy anything plus sized again. I am still plus on the bottom especially but I think in the wide variety of sizes in my closet I will be good and if I need a pair of jeans in an 18 or so, then fine, it won't be for long. I need to sort through that closet and see just what I have!

Lori - CONGRATULATIONS :wub: You should have bought the large cuz before you know it that xl is going to be too big...

Go Packers! It will be a strange season without Brett...but we'll get through it. Actually, I'm somewhat a fair weather fan...I get excited when I am sitting home on Sunday afternoon and have nothing else to do! Otherwise, I tune out all the hype, which is dangerous to admit here in Packer country.

Congrats, L2BT, on shopping -and buying - in the regular misses section. I went shopping w/ DD today, and browsed the women's section - I have no idea what to buy, or even try on. For so many years I only shopped catalogs...and now, I never know what size I am. I had so few styles to choose from in the past 15 years, I just chose the loose fitting 'big-shirts" and anything that looked loose, long, and concealing. Now, There are so many choices, so many styles, I don't know what I want anymore!! It's a pychological hurdle for me...! Like you, I"m smaller on top than bottom... Tomorrow I"m going shopping again...but hate buying clothes only to have them too big in a couple months (again - I used to buy as big as possible so I wouldn't outgrow them!!). I have no jackets, coats, or anything for winter, I'm going to have to force myself to buy some stuff sooner or later!

Lizalee - I know about buying stuff that in a month or 2 was too big... But I work in an office and have to semi dress and it felt so good going from 18/20's to 14's then 12's then 10's then 8's then 6's ... I couldn't help myself... Well my gf's who where 14 12 10 & 8 have some new clothes and the 2X went to the local shelter..

Hi to all tonight, When I spoke of the politicians being in my town, thats merely all I said. I say the traffic is bad in Springfield that day. Otherwise nothing else mentioned. Myself, I don't care to talk politics either. Anyhow I had a good day today (Monday). Have been feeling queezy for some reason. So far my first fill seems to be working okay. I don't really feel that different than before though. I did alot of reading on different threads last night. Man there sure is alot of bandsters telling their stories. I think this is a great way to meet people and learn lap band experiences. There is a wealth of information on here. Glad everyone is doing okay this week.

Beckyo:rolleyes2:

Becky - Yet lapband talk is the best..

Welcome to Lap Band land... you'lllove this thread full of wonderful people and we are always willing to SHARE advise and our issues too!!

Anxiety isnormal, we all felt that way. But relax and just IMAGINE yourself one year from now... on your way to a new life.

Hugs,Candice

Candice is right - a year from now you will be a new person.

The only place I may need plastic surgery is my arms and the "wings." I have lost a lot of the fat, but the skin is there and it is waving!

Tonight, someone told me that the scar that is left on the arm is much worse than the flappy skin. True? I really want to have tighter arms and I don't think exercise will do the rest of what I want. Any experience with this?

JB I have heard the same thing - I met a girl who had the surgery when I was in Vegas in June - She had lost 250 lbs with the band and the scar was noticable but not bad - it had been less than 6 months -

My baby GD (4) asked what happen to my arms when I was visting a couple of weeks ago - Well - cooler weather will be here soon (hopefully) longer sleeve help - maybe next y I will have the surgery - plus they have a new on where the make a hole in your arm pit and pull the saggy skin up something like that - but I would have some cut arms from all my exercise if it wasn't for the skin issues - but I will take them a my battle scars for now - my badge of honor - I lost the weight and that's the result - but I lost the weight and that's what is most important to me.. I'll take the skin issue..

In no way did I mean to offend anyone with my comment. I agree politics are not a topic to be discussed on this thread.

I aplogize if I offended anyone.

In no way did I mean to offend anyone with my comment. I agree politics are not a topic to be discussed on this thread.

I aplogize if I offended anyone.

No offense taken - this is a Democratic society and we all are entitled to our opinions - that's what makes us AMERICAN's we have freedom of speech- USA all the way no matter what party you belong to.....

Indio, it isn't much longer on mushies. I have an appointment for September 4 to meet with the dietician and make the transition. The way my surgeon does it, is 1 week full liquids and 4 weeks mushies. Then another 4 weeks on solid food before the first fill.

I have a little leeway since the dietician said things like soft peaches don't have to be pureed, just chewed to applesauce consistency. So I am enjoying summer tomatoes, skinned and seeded and diced into small bites. And I have some premium peaches from Abbot Farms coming this week. (I think they may be what they eat in heaven! Highly recommended. You can order them online.) But I'm really ready for a crisp fall apple. It won't be long now.

Orea

Indio, it isn't much longer on mushies. I have an appointment for September 4 to meet with the dietician and make the transition. The way my surgeon does it, is 1 week full liquids and 4 weeks mushies. Then another 4 weeks on solid food before the first fill.

I have a little leeway since the dietician said things like soft peaches don't have to be pureed, just chewed to applesauce consistency. So I am enjoying summer tomatoes, skinned and seeded and diced into small bites. And I have some premium peaches from Abbot Farms coming this week. (I think they may be what they eat in heaven! Highly recommended. You can order them online.) But I'm really ready for a crisp fall apple. It won't be long now.

Orea

Orea

Is fish on your mushie list ?? Some dover sole or any soft white fish baked - but maybe it's not on your list or you don't like fish - I love fish - I should be a fish monger. Being in Cali - I am lucky that I have good access to fresh fruits & veggies at the grocery store... Apples - I can do but without the skin - the skin is too much - Plums are the same way - I can eat but have to do it very slowly and small bite. Right now I have a good watermelon in the fridge...

Orea

Is fish on your mushie list ?? Some dover sole or any soft white fish baked - but maybe it's not on your list or you don't like fish - I love fish - I should be a fish monger. Being in Cali - I am lucky that I have good access to fresh fruits & veggies at the grocery store... Apples - I can do but without the skin - the skin is too much - Plums are the same way - I can eat but have to do it very slowly and small bite. Right now I have a good watermelon in the fridge...

The one thing I got slightly stuck on so far was a baked white fish that was a bit too dry. Lesson learned. Sauce can be important!

Good late morning! I just got home from the dr's again. I was to get my 3 mos post banding lab results, but seems my surgeon still had my file at home for dictation from my last visit. But I needed to go anyway as I have developed a rash around my gall bladder incisions which he looked at. I am to put some cortisone cream on for a week and go see him next Tues. at which time they promised lab results. Also got a 'tweak' fill, they called it. They asked how I was doing, I said good but get hungry too soon, so I got a half cc. It was my 4th fill already which seems like a lot to me, but I do know that I got a larger band than they originally thought I needed because of difficulty in fastening the smaller one. They said they were treating me like a smaller band person. I guess it makes sense to me, all I care is that it is working. I thought I was going to be affected traffic wise in my drive to the dr. office as I had to go by City Park which is where 'Tent City' is where a lot of the protesters are staying for the convention, but they must be on the other end of the park as I didn't see or hear anything. My sisters work downtown and were goign to go stroll the outdoor mall and go celebrity watching, guess they saw a lot yesterday.

No weight loss this week, but I gotta remember the 8 I lost last week. My body needed to rest I suppose. I got spoiled last week, but I now know that's how my body loses. nothing for a week or two and then I will have huge numbers then nothing for a while again. The nurse commented she could tell I lost a lot in my face and neck/chest area as she could see collarbones. That made my day!

Good late morning! I just got home from the dr's again. I was to get my 3 mos post banding lab results, but seems my surgeon still had my file at home for dictation from my last visit. But I needed to go anyway as I have developed a rash around my gall bladder incisions which he looked at. I am to put some cortisone cream on for a week and go see him next Tues. at which time they promised lab results. Also got a 'tweak' fill, they called it. They asked how I was doing, I said good but get hungry too soon, so I got a half cc. It was my 4th fill already which seems like a lot to me, but I do know that I got a larger band than they originally thought I needed because of difficulty in fastening the smaller one. They said they were treating me like a smaller band person. I guess it makes sense to me, all I care is that it is working. I thought I was going to be affected traffic wise in my drive to the dr. office as I had to go by City Park which is where 'Tent City' is where a lot of the protesters are staying for the convention, but they must be on the other end of the park as I didn't see or hear anything. My sisters work downtown and were goign to go stroll the outdoor mall and go celebrity watching, guess they saw a lot yesterday.

No weight loss this week, but I gotta remember the 8 I lost last week. My body needed to rest I suppose. I got spoiled last week, but I now know that's how my body loses. nothing for a week or two and then I will have huge numbers then nothing for a while again. The nurse commented she could tell I lost a lot in my face and neck/chest area as she could see collarbones. That made my day!

Lori - you are doing excellent - and yes if you lost 8 lbs last week you might not see any this week - but a year from now it will all average out..

That would be fun to go celeberity watching- I would hate the traffic issues though - here in the Desert during the winter we have alot of snowbird (yes Phyl is one :thumbup:) who come to the desert and clogged up our roads - plus that's when they do all the road construction - so between the 2 - our roads are a mess during the winter months...

I have missed a lot of pages because I am in Arizona at the library.

I got to meet several bandsters while I am here and that is so much fun.

I will have to catch up when I get home to my own computer.

I don't get why when I click on the left where it says "view first unread' it always brings me to the last page. I need to know where I left off!

I cannot get enough of fresh fruit and veggies. If possible I would live on them alone, but only fresh!!!!! Hate frozen!

Nectarines, grapes, cherries are my favorite..Add in summer squash, zucchini, and tomatoes and mushrooms and I have a meal..:thumbup:

So far so good with my staying on track on vacation. Thank goodness I have my food journal, without it I would have a tough time..

I also love fish, almost anything foes for me as long as it is moist. and there is such high Protein count and litle calorie count. Last night was blackened Mahi-Mahi...mmmmmmmm:tongue2:

That would be fun to go celebrity watching- I would hate the traffic issues though - here in the Desert during the winter we have alot of snowbird (yes Phyl is one :thumbup:) who come to the desert and clogged up our roads...

Clog up your roads??!! Indeed!!

You know you guys LOVE the increased revenue in the winter!

Anyways, it's the OLD snowbirds that clog up the roads!!!

We are YOUNG snowbirds!!

7_6_1.gif

The one thing I got slightly stuck on so far was a baked white fish that was a bit too dry. Lesson learned. Sauce can be important!

Yeah, fish cannot be overcooked or it will get stuck!!

DH is good at overcooking! But he usually gets it right!

Have you tried nuking an apple... core it, sprinkle with art. sweetner & cinnamon, a little juice of some kind.