Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

OK I am jealous - doesn' t seem like many of you came out of surgery starving!

I was told to stay on Clear Liquids until I saw the dr which isn't until 9/18. I wasn't sure about the Protein Drinks. Are they clear? I have some Slim fast that is high in Protein and I thought it would be good to mix with my required 3 servings of skim milk but they discouraged me from doing that. If that's not the right Protein Drink what is? Any recommendations - I am up for anything I am so hungry that the hunger pains is actually worse than the incision - I know that sounds crazy but it is true? If I can do protein in a clear liquid form I will try that but I just don't know how long this can hold out I know I can't be like this until 9/18

Thanks for listening

Sandi

That does sound like a long time on clears only. However, there is a clear protein drink, it's called Isopure. It comes in a glass bottle and there's 20 grams per bottle. I preferred it over shakes, others don't. Its in individual taste. They sell them at GNC, also there are these big test tube looking vials that are 'protein shots', they are 3 oz. and 42 gms protein. I drink them 1 oz at a time, as there's something about the body not being able to absorb that much protein in a sitting. But they are a good source for a good strong 'hit' of protein and are clear liquid as well. Hope that helps.

I know Bariatric Advantage made a protein chicken broth. I had it once as I had a sample pack, not the best. You can get tasteless Protein Powder and mix it in any broth as well.

My nutritionist suggested I get the "Proteinex-18" liquit Protein. I get it at the drug store and it has no fat, sugar, sorbitol, carb or Phosphorus. All u have to do is shake, put a TBL in a drink, (I drink the K2O flavored lemonade) and mix. You cant taste it, and would never know you had added anything to the drink. You should use 2 TBL a day. There is 72 calories in 2 TBL and 18 gr of protein. Hope this helps someone. Oh, yes, it comes in 2 flavors, I like the Lemon Lime.

Linda

I have never heard of the "Proteinex-18". I will have to take a look for it. I can always use a new way to get in the extra protein my DR is requiring of me. 80-90 gms of protein can be hard to get in in one day.

Long - Doesn't the Isopure have 40 gms protein per bottle? I wish the Isopure was not so expensive..At least I can get it through my DR office for a bit of a discount over the price at GNC

I have been starving. I do not have my first fill until the 10th and today has been a really bad day. Some days I am able to handle it, but today was not one of them. I am trying to stick to Proteins when I want something extra as that seems to satisfy me the most. With restriction from the fill do you continue to get this hungry? I feel so discouraged today.

Dianne - We continue to be in the same place through this journey! I had a reality check at the Dr's yesterday. I was complaining about slow weight loss, hunger, etc. He reminded me that it's only been 5 weeks, that I am still healing and that hunger will be normal until the first fill. He encouraged me to try to get in Protein and Water. He also said that if I needed to up my calories to 1500 that was ok. My first fill in 9/8. He said that things will get better then with my hunger.

Hang in there! We'll make it.

It's hard getting back into the swing of things after going crazy on vacation. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know what makes me gain weight, but for some reason I think when I am on vacation, all the rules go out the window.

Thank goodness for the band cause I know I can take it off now that I am back to the gym.

Hi all,

I went with my daughter today to her first visit with our PCP (my appt is next thurs). He supports our decision to have the LB surgery, tho he has more knowledge and has had more patients who have by-pass. He said his only concern was the high incidence of infections at the port site. He asked us what we knew about that? I told him I hadn't heard that there was a high incidence and I've been looking on here today. The only info I can find is that the chance occurs from surgery, as with any type of surgery. Does anybody know of any other info? I'm going to check out some other sites too. I'm going to have to use this as a good chance to educate him on LB.

I love coming here and reading about everyone's successes and even the troubles, and the answers and support given.

Thanks, Pat

I have never heard anyone having a Port Site infection? BUt I have heard of several other complications (although they are RARE)

1) Port can flip, in position under the skin making it hard to do fills... sometimes requires re-surgery to correct its placement.

2) My port tubing was PUNCTURED by the fill nurse, so all my fill was leaking out... and I was not holding restriction. So I needed to have my surgery done again, and they replaced the tubing up to the port.

:lol:

It's hard getting back into the swing of things after going crazy on vacation. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know what makes me gain weight, but for some reason I think when I am on vacation, all the rules go out the window.

Thank goodness for the band cause I know I can take it off now that I am back to the gym.

Denise - Me too... I do fine when home - but when I am away - the rules are out the window - but gotta say I have only gained like a pound the last 2 times i was away from home - you are right though home, gym back to eating healthy - and it will come right back off..

Well I am finally back after spending 2 hours at the dr. and hospital. They are stumped on my rash. they say there appears to be no sign of infection so that's good. I saw the nurse practioner and surgeon. They then wanted me to see a dermatologist but can't get in til Wed. In the meantime they were a little concerned about shingles and didn't want it to get bad over the weekend. They sent me to the hospital lab for a blood test and prescribed the drugs in case, I am waiting to fill those. I did fill one for an RX strength hydrocortisone creme and that is helping the itch. They asked if I had chicken pox as a child and I had. They said that virus is dormant in your system and sometimes after stress can rear up, I'd say 2 surgeries in 2 mos was a little stress. So I am hoping it isn't that and gets better soon, if not I will call the dermatologist next Tues. Always something. When I got there a couple in the office commented, oh you are the rash girl. So now I have a reputation. :rolleyes:

Well I am finally back after spending 2 hours at the dr. and hospital. They are stumped on my rash. they say there appears to be no sign of infection so that's good. I saw the nurse practioner and surgeon. They then wanted me to see a dermatologist but can't get in til Wed. In the meantime they were a little concerned about shingles and didn't want it to get bad over the weekend. They sent me to the hospital lab for a blood test and prescribed the drugs in case, I am waiting to fill those. I did fill one for an RX strength hydrocortisone creme and that is helping the itch. They asked if I had chicken pox as a child and I had. They said that virus is dormant in your system and sometimes after stress can rear up, I'd say 2 surgeries in 2 mos was a little stress. So I am hoping it isn't that and gets better soon, if not I will call the dermatologist next Tues. Always something. When I got there a couple in the office commented, oh you are the rash girl. So now I have a reputation. :rolleyes:

Lori - So sorry - does the rash look like little blisters - is the skin super senstative?? Yes stress will bring it on - I have a form of shingles (well really it is the herpes viruse which is what chicken pox is) - It's called woodsomething - When stress I would get these blisters on my hand and they would hurt and itch.. usaully just one but they could be tiny or large - when i got married I had a huge one in the palm of my had..

I havent had an espisode for years .... Hugs hope they find out what it is..

The rash is a little blistery looking but not draining or anything and has these lines in it, she said it looked vascular. And skin isn't real sensitive which causes a little doubt of it being shingles unless it is in the early stages. I'm just hoping it's negative. If it is the RX is for the same stuff they advertise for herpes.

The rash is a little blistery looking but not draining or anything and has these lines in it, she said it looked vascular. And skin isn't real sensitive which causes a little doubt of it being shingles unless it is in the early stages. I'm just hoping it's negative. If it is the RX is for the same stuff they advertise for herpes.

I guess you could have worse nicknames than "RASH GIRL", but, that's kind of rude, I think!

Anyway, in my humble (Ret. RN) opinion, doesn't sound like shingles to me if it doesn't hurt. Shingles is extremely painful. Glad the hydrocortisone is helping and hope they figure out what it is soon!! Like I've told you, I've had recurrent problems with skin rashes over the last 10 years or so and had MANY dermatology consults to NO AVAIL!! In fact, PA in a walk-in clinic was one of the few medical people who ever gave me anything that helped. With me, I always had the impression their thinking was.... "Oh, she's fat.. it's HEAT RASH!" So there never was any real effort to figure out what it was.

i guess you could have worse nicknames than "rash girl", but, that's kind of rude, i think!

anyway, in my humble (ret. Rn) opinion, doesn't sound like shingles to me if it doesn't hurt. Shingles is extremely painful. Glad the hydrocortisone is helping and hope they figure out what it is soon!! Like i've told you, i've had recurrent problems with skin rashes over the last 10 years or so and had many dermatology consults to no avail!! In fact, pa in a walk-in clinic was one of the few medical people who ever gave me anything that helped. With me, i always had the impression their thinking was.... "oh, she's fat.. It's heat rash!" so there never was any real effort to figure out what it was.

now that's fricking rude !!

Way to go! You're an inspiration! Keep up the good work!

Sue Stenzel

Hey Sue you haven't been around for a while - how are you doing???

Sue, this has nothing to do with the band web site, but when I saw your name, I was wondering if you ever lived in upstate NY. I went to school with a girl with the same name. Of course it was a year or two ago. lol. Just curious. I'm fortunate I can even remember back that far.

Linda

I have never heard anyone having a Port Site infection? BUt I have heard of several other complications (although they are RARE)

1) Port can flip, in position under the skin making it hard to do fills... sometimes requires re-surgery to correct its placement.

2) My port tubing was PUNCTURED by the fill nurse, so all my fill was leaking out... and I was not holding restriction. So I needed to have my surgery done again, and they replaced the tubing up to the port.

:biggrin:

Peaches,

Thanks for your response. I haven't found any port site infections either in all my research. I asked a DR. on another site and he said he has seen maybe 0.5% of infections with the port.

Sorry to hear about your tubing being punctured! That must have been nerve wracking to say the least! Glad things seem to be working now.

Pat