Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

OK Ladies...now I'm craving M&M's. Good thing there's none in the house and I have no car home tonight!

I'm having an awful time these past few weeks...craving everything, and worse than that, giving into my cravings. If I didn't know better, I'd think is was PMS or something. I WISH I could blame it on that, so soon it would go away!

I just had a fill last week! Lost a couple pounds last Thurs/Fri and felt so great, but it seems my psyche wants them back. Now I'm up 2.8!!! I don't get it. I was doing really well until this past couple weeks- then those old food thoughts started creeping back in. Plus, we were at our County Fair all weekend (5 days, 14 hours a day) and by Saturday, I started eating fair food...hamburgers, kettlecorn, roast beef on a bun...not much in the way of restriction. And then started with some Starbursts we were supposed to give away to the barn judges! Now I can't stop eating.

I was hoping being back at work today would force me to stop...but then we had a birthday party with orange walnut cake...delicious. I even ate too much hamburger helper tonight - I don' t even really like hamburger helper.

OK, enough whining, right? Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully I'll get a grip. I did call and try to get an earlier fill appointment - but can't get in until Oct 6.

I noticed some of you have been struggling lately too. Maybe it's the change in the seasons coming? It was hot here over the weekend, but now it's cool!

I will have to take the dogs for a LONG walk tonight to work off that cake!

I am originally from Lawng Island...now in Vegas!!

Down yet another 2.2 lbs!!! Total now of 54.4 lbs!!! Gooooooooo Looosssiiieee!!!!

Fran

xo

I thought it was pronounced Lawn Guyland. :thumbup:

Well I am off to my PCP today to see if I can get to the bottom of this awful rash. It has spread up to my breasts, between them, on them, under them. I'm just miserable. Why won't it go away??? GRRRR

Very interested to hear what your PCP had to say about his rash. Sounds very similar to one I've had problems with about 3 times in the last 10 years. Starts out itchy, under breasts, as you say, etc., then as it progresses it gets very painful to where it is agony to wear a bra. Last time was a couple of years ago. dermatologist ordered stuff that seemed to make it worse. This went on for weeks before it was resolved each time. It was HORRIBLE and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Hope you get some answers and Rx for something that will work!!

OK Ladies...now I'm craving M&M's. Good thing there's none in the house and I have no car home tonight! I'm having an awful time these past few weeks...craving everything, and worse than that, giving into my cravings. If I didn't know better, I'd think is was PMS or something. I WISH I could blame it on that, so soon it would go away!

I noticed some of you have been struggling lately too. Maybe it's the change in the seasons coming?

I don't know what it is... not cravings for me, but just sort of in a "BAD MOOD"!! So I had too many glasses of wine today!! I use a very small wine glass... like the size they give you when you go to a wine tasting.

7_4_33.gif

But.... I think I filled it up three times, which is WAY too much wine. And, guess what... I'm STILL in a bad mood, so it didn't help but did add a lot of calories!! Will have to really limit what I eat the rest of the day to compensate!! Stupid!! Fixing a turkey teriyaki roast for dinner. That should be fairly low in calories, and steamed some cauliflower, zucchinni and yellow squash to go with it.

Good evening, I am back from the dr. about my rash. My PCP says it's a very 'angry' allergic dermatitis. He gave me a shot of steroids, which 'may increase my appetite' :thumbup:, an RX strength of Benadryl to take at night which will make me very drowsy, and an RX for Allegra to take during the day. He's pretty confident that this is what it is, it is definitely not shingles. If it doesn't improve, however, I go to a dermatologist next. You know when this started, I had allergies or hay fever really bad after a very wet weekend here and was taking an OTC allergy med so maybe it's some type of allergy. I had to have steroid shots for a cat allergy once and even was close to pnuemonia and going to the hospital so it's possible. Haven't been by any cats though. I just hope the itching stops. I feel like I am going to go crazy.

Editing to add the good news: I had lost 5 lbs since my last visit 2 weeks ago, my b/p was 132/82 (I stopped taking my b/p RX a week post op from banding per dr's orders) so am glad it's still good. They are very impressed, I am there first lap band patient, they've had patients get bypass but not bypass at my primary care dr's.

OK Ladies...now I'm craving M&M's. Good thing there's none in the house and I have no car home tonight!

I'm having an awful time these past few weeks...craving everything, and worse than that, giving into my cravings. If I didn't know better, I'd think is was PMS or something. I WISH I could blame it on that, so soon it would go away!

I just had a fill last week! Lost a couple pounds last Thurs/Fri and felt so great, but it seems my psyche wants them back. Now I'm up 2.8!!! I don't get it. I was doing really well until this past couple weeks- then those old food thoughts started creeping back in. Plus, we were at our County Fair all weekend (5 days, 14 hours a day) and by Saturday, I started eating fair food...hamburgers, kettlecorn, roast beef on a bun...not much in the way of restriction. And then started with some Starbursts we were supposed to give away to the barn judges! Now I can't stop eating.

I was hoping being back at work today would force me to stop...but then we had a birthday party with orange walnut cake...delicious. I even ate too much hamburger helper tonight - I don' t even really like hamburger helper.

OK, enough whining, right? Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully I'll get a grip. I did call and try to get an earlier fill appointment - but can't get in until Oct 6.

I noticed some of you have been struggling lately too. Maybe it's the change in the seasons coming? It was hot here over the weekend, but now it's cool!

I will have to take the dogs for a LONG walk tonight to work off that cake!

Lizalee - Hugs sorry for your struggles - Yep a LONG walk is in order :lol:

My suggestion is advoidance - I still avoid foods that I know I can put me back in the other direction - I do have restriction on my side though but it doesn't help with sweets..

You could eat a bun?? if you can - you need to call the doctor for another fill cuz you don't have enough restriction - I can eat sandwich bread but I know that I could not eat a bun.

You just gotta say no - you are stronger that that stupid food - if you want a sweet - eat a sf one - I do every single night - 1 -2 or 3 of them - the total calories if I eat 2 pudding and 1 fudge cicle is 220 . I still get the quanity I want but not the calories if I ate non-sf..

You got banded to live a healthier lifestyle - and a little fair food isn't going to kill you but you have to say to yourself - this is my treat - I am going to enjoy it but no more after this.. This food doesn't fit into my new healthy lifestyle..

I guess it's easier said than done - I went to the fair when it was here ate 1/4 corn on the cob - 1/2 egg roll - 1/4 of cinnimon roll. But the very next day went back to healthy eating - I threw away the cinimon roll cuz I knew I would keep picking at it... For me none of the stuff I ate really tasted as good as I had remembered - that being said I have not had a brownie in 14 months. I would never dare to make a batch and have them in the houses.. Advoidance... I just don't start so I don't have to stop.. That's what works for me... Especially at home..

Very interested to hear what your PCP had to say about his rash. Sounds very similar to one I've had problems with about 3 times in the last 10 years. Starts out itchy, under breasts, as you say, etc., then as it progresses it gets very painful to where it is agony to wear a bra. Last time was a couple of years ago. dermatologist ordered stuff that seemed to make it worse. This went on for weeks before it was resolved each time. It was HORRIBLE and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Hope you get some answers and Rx for something that will work!!

I don't know what it is... not cravings for me, but just sort of in a "BAD MOOD"!! So I had too many glasses of wine today!! I use a very small wine glass... like the size they give you when you go to a wine tasting.

7_4_33.gif

But.... I think I filled it up three times, which is WAY too much wine. And, guess what... I'm STILL in a bad mood, so it didn't help but did add a lot of calories!! Will have to really limit what I eat the rest of the day to compensate!! Stupid!! Fixing a turkey teriyaki roast for dinner. That should be fairly low in calories, and steamed some cauliflower, zucchinni and yellow squash to go with it.

Phyl - Hugs on the bad mood - Good for you for compensating for your wine...

Good evening, I am back from the dr. about my rash. My PCP says it's a very 'angry' allergic dermatitis. He gave me a shot of steroids, which 'may increase my appetite' ;), an RX strength of Benadryl to take at night which will make me very drowsy, and an RX for Allegra to take during the day. He's pretty confident that this is what it is, it is definitely not shingles. If it doesn't improve, however, I go to a dermatologist next. You know when this started, I had allergies or hay fever really bad after a very wet weekend here and was taking an OTC allergy med so maybe it's some type of allergy. I had to have steroid shots for a cat allergy once and even was close to pnuemonia and going to the hospital so it's possible. Haven't been by any cats though. I just hope the itching stops. I feel like I am going to go crazy.

Editing to add the good news: I had lost 5 lbs since my last visit 2 weeks ago, my b/p was 132/82 (I stopped taking my b/p RX a week post op from banding per dr's orders) so am glad it's still good. They are very impressed, I am there first lap band patient, they've had patients get bypass but not bypass at my primary care dr's.

Lori Congrats on your loss and hope the shot and meds fix that darn rash...

Well the RNC is coming on - and since I am an equal opportuintiy person - gotta go hear what Palin has to say - will be interesting... I just hope there is no more bashing - I hate the basing no matter who is doing it...

Stick to the topic - platform - not personal attacks..

BBL :thumbup:

Oh Joann!!!! did you get a surgery date today???????

Lori, you are so kind to remember... The consultation went well today, questions answered, liked the surgeon, etc. Apparently because of my ADVANCED age (my words, not hers! haha) - I am over 65, and their protocol requires her to bring my case before their surgeon group for review. The review board meets the 4th Friday of the month. oohhhh. I was assured it would be a formality, as I have no other health problems but the arthritis, but I still have to wait for the date until after the meeting. The coordinator said they are scheduling about 4-6 weeks out, so that will put me at the end of October/beginning of November. I am toying with the idea of calling the coordinator and begging a little - how 'bout setting a date for mid-October (6 weeks from now) and rescheduling if you have to... Doesn't that sound reasonable? grovel, grovel... :thumbup: I did learn a lot about the surgeon's requirements, pre-op and post-op diet, exercise recommendations, overnight stay question, etc. Just have to wait...

Lori, you are so kind to remember... The consultation went well today, questions answered, liked the surgeon, etc. Apparently because of my ADVANCED age (my words, not hers! haha) - I am over 65, and their protocol requires her to bring my case before their surgeon group for review. The review board meets the 4th Friday of the month. oohhhh. I was assured it would be a formality, as I have no other health problems but the arthritis, but I still have to wait for the date until after the meeting. The coordinator said they are scheduling about 4-6 weeks out, so that will put me at the end of October/beginning of November. I am toying with the idea of calling the coordinator and begging a little - how 'bout setting a date for mid-October (6 weeks from now) and rescheduling if you have to... Doesn't that sound reasonable? grovel, grovel... :thumbup: I did learn a lot about the surgeon's requirements, pre-op and post-op diet, exercise recommendations, overnight stay question, etc. Just have to wait...

If groveling is what it takes, do it!!

You have to ADVOCATE for yourself to get anywhere these days, especially with this process!!

Beg, cry, do whatever you need to!!

36_1_38.gif 23_11_48.gif 3_7_9v.gif

Good luck Joann -

My consult is tomorrow !;):lol:

I'm reviewing all the paperwork that I got at the info-seminar -

Updating my med list, Dr.'s phone and fax numbers -

Trying to predict any trick questions that may be thrown my way.

I have Bi-Polar disease and know that I have to be careful to present my priorities for wanting this procedure in a sensible way.

Yes - I want to lose weight to look and feel better -

but the bi-polar illness has been with me since my slender puberty and I don't expect it to go away after weight loss.:lol:

I just hope the post-op depression that many experience doesn't hit me too hard.:lol:

Hopefully a close watch by my psychiatrist and therapist will keep it somewhat in check.:thumbup:

My consult is tomorrow !;):lol: I'm reviewing all the paperwork that I got at the info-seminar - Updating my med list, Dr.'s phone and fax numbers -

Trying to predict any trick questions that may be thrown my way.

I have Bi-Polar disease and know that I have to be careful to present my priorities for wanting this procedure in a sensible way.

Yes - I want to lose weight to look and feel better -

but the bi-polar illness has been with me since my slender puberty and I don't expect it to go away after weight loss.:lol:

I just hope the post-op depression that many experience doesn't hit me too hard.:lol: Hopefully a close watch by my psychiatrist and therapist will keep it somewhat in check.:thumbup:

I'll be keeping you in my prayers, Elayne!

And we all will be here to support you in every way through this process... before and after!!

Good luck to you tomorrow, Elayne. I don't know how your surgeon will be, but Dr. B was pretty straightforward and informative. You will be in my thoughts.

and thanks for the advice, Phyl. I may just make that phone call. I learned a long time ago they can only say no - and might say yes.

Janet, thanks for the advice. I went to my surgeon today and I was shocked. According to his scales, I had lost 3 lbs since the 4th of Aug. But I did talk to a registered nutritionist yesterday and she told me the same thing you did. I had no idea that not getting enough Protein would make me retain Water. She told me 60 gms protein is what I needed. My carbs and calories are fine. I check those faithfully. I am not getting quite as much exercise as earlier (no more water aerobics) pool closed, darn it!!!!!!, but am starting to walk abit more, if the ritus brothers will leave me alone. lol.(You know....Art and Burt?) lol. Anyway, I got a fill today and go back in a month. The Dr did say that he felt I had lost more, but the water was holding the scales at a stand still. Tomorrow, a new day, more protein, more walking and careful with the carbs. Thanks again.

Linda

nice to be in the 50's ,i have a question i see the doc this morning and iam thinking he's gonna chew me out ...iam doing the 90 day diet if you will ....... and i/ve lost 2lbs only...i have one more mo,to go and will have finished my 90 day ins plan supervised diet.question is how many of you lost and how much for the ins,co. or is it a great deal that i do lose .iam confused .thanks for any reply have a great day :thumbup:

nice to be in the 50's ,i have a question i see the doc this morning and iam thinking he's gonna chew me out ...iam doing the 90 day diet if you will ....... and i/ve lost 2lbs only...i have one more mo,to go and will have finished my 90 day ins plan supervised diet.question is how many of you lost and how much for the ins,co. or is it a great deal that i do lose .iam confused .thanks for any reply have a great day :thumbup:

Suziq, I think each ins co and each case is different. I do believe some docs want to see how committed you are to weight loss and will require some dieting before banding. It also helps to shrink the liver, so just about all of them require some sort of pre-op diet to get rid of the excess fat in the liver. You've probably heard all that several times... I do know that a diet for me at this point is pretty-much pointless. I would probably lose 2 lbs - then gain it back and lose it again, and yet again. I still keep trying, though. I hope you doctor is open to your issues and knows you will keep trying.

Good luck!

thank's your right i need to work harder on this and show them i will be able to lose before i have surgery ..thanks again have a great day :thumbup: