Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Suziq, I think each ins co and each case is different. I do believe some docs want to see how committed you are to weight loss and will require some dieting before banding. It also helps to shrink the liver, so just about all of them require some sort of pre-op diet to get rid of the excess fat in the liver. You've probably heard all that several times... I do know that a diet for me at this point is pretty-much pointless. I would probably lose 2 lbs - then gain it back and lose it again, and yet again. I still keep trying, though. I hope you doctor is open to your issues and knows you will keep trying.

Good luck!

Each insurance has it's own requirements. I did not have to have a 90 day supervised diet, but had documentation from my DR for weight loss "attempts"

Good luck on your journey. As well as there are some DR that want you to lose a certain amount before surgery. As I said you will realize, every DR and every insurance has their own issues to get through

Hi--I posted this in Fills, but I want the advice of my Gang of 50's.

I have been doing well, but have wanted more food lately. The doc gave me .2 cc today for fill #3. (I now have 5.9) Will the .2 make a difference?

Also, according to the doc, he wants my BMI to be 28. That's only 15 lbs away! I think I want less. What is everyone's BMI goal? (Since our weight can vary so much)

Hi--I posted this in Fills, but I want the advice of my Gang of 50's.

I have been doing well, but have wanted more food lately. The doc gave me .2 cc today for fill #3. (I now have 5.9) Will the .2 make a difference?

Also, according to the doc, he wants my BMI to be 28. That's only 15 lbs away! I think I want less. What is everyone's BMI goal? (Since our weight can vary so much)

Jb yes .2 can make a diff - I had fillin January 1.cc was way too tight had .08 taken out and so that meant my actual fill was .02 and I have been fine ever since - I'm at my sweet spot.

As to goal weight there was a big fight on another thread about this a while back - one person thought everyone should strive to hit a normal bmi - some pple were under their bmi but still a normal weight and pple were saying they were too skinny.

My doc and I never discussed a goal in the beginning - my original goal was 170 (that was the lowest weight I had ever gotten to on any diet when I was in my 30's) well - when I got to 180 I moved it to 160 - then moved it to 150 but was afraid i couldn't attain it - so put it back to 160

I got there 5/8/08 - but really wanted 100 lbs off - so kept plugging away by 6/24 I got to 150 - but I still really wanted to say I had a normal BMI - I had lost 100 lbs what's 5 more - so i pushed and I got there 105 lbs gone.. I asked my doc at my last visit what I should strive for and he said 145.. So that's where I am at..

I really think it's a personal decision - our age plays alot into it - we don't want to look too thin - I'm 5'4 120 is a normal weight for my height - but if I lost another 25 lbs I would look sickly - I would be nothing but skin and bones - I am a size 6 - I look good and most importantly feel great - am told I am tiny which is hard to believe that someone says I am tiny..

My personal opinion strive to have the best bmi you can have.. If you want a lower one then go for it..

Another motivating factor for me was that with the band statistically says we will only lose 50-60% of our excess weight - What's that saying a fat chick can't lose 100% - well - I wanted to prove them wrong - and I have...

Phyllser ... Will you share your Turkey Teriyaki Roast recipe? Sounds delish !!

Ah.... Sorry... it's kind of a "cheater" because it came in a twin pack.. I think from costco... vacuum packed with teriyaki seasoning/marinade already in the pack. So you just have to throw it in the oven or on the grill... looks very much like a pork loin roast. Cooked pretty fast in the oven and was nice and moist. Would've been really good on the grill, too. Then I made a package of chicken gravy and put it in the pan to pick up the teriyaki seasoning. i put the gravy on top of the "mock mashed potatoes" I made by steaming some cauliflower and garlic cloves together and mashing them up with a little sour cream. Yummy! If you can find a turkey roast of some kind, I'm sure you could recreate something similar by putting it in a zip lock bag with some teriyaki seasoning and marinade for a few hours.

lynn1215---

You were saying a few pages back that you were having problems with food? I wasn't sure what you meant. Are you finding that you can't tolerate food?

Good morning, at least the clock says it still is. I got up so late this morning, totally unlike me. I think my RX Benedryl is really knocking me out. I was so tired last night too I went to bed right after McCain's speech, and in my time zone that's only 9pm. I don't take it during the day but take a different RX but it's still making me drowsy. And the worst part is, I'M STILL ITCHING!! Though it might be a tad bit better but not a lot. I'm so sick of this.

Weight is stuck too so that's not helping my frame of mind, still holding at 59 and 1/2 GRRRRR

I did meet two gals from LBT yesterday for lunch. That was nice, Zippykat and JSoto. It's fun to get together with others going through the lap band as well. We talked forever and didn't leave lunch til after 2.

Hey Lori, I wonder if all this rash stuff plus the additional medications could be making you retain Water? So many things affect water retention - we don't even think of that making a difference, but it can. Try pushing the water more and watching your salt intake and see if that helps get to the magic #60! But wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that you were pushing for #50? Seems like it anyway. You are still doing GREAT and should be patting your own back in between scratching missions! Hang in there, babe - you will get through this.

Hey Lori, I wonder if all this rash stuff plus the additional medications could be making you retain Water? So many things affect water retention - we don't even think of that making a difference, but it can. Try pushing the water more and watching your salt intake and see if that helps get to the magic #60! But wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that you were pushing for #50? Seems like it anyway. You are still doing GREAT and should be patting your own back in between scratching missions! Hang in there, babe - you will get through this.

I've wondered that about the medications, one of them was a steroid shot as well. I am drinking a lot. (now any other place if I said I was drinking a lot they'd think I had a problem ha ha). And you are right, before my gall bladder surgery I was stuck at 49.5 and was asking the dr. how much a gall bladder weighed. LOL That was one month ago. I need to remember the way my body seems to lose. I will stay stuck for 2 weeks or more and then WHOOSH!! I will have major big losses. I lost 8 lbs in one week after g/b surgery. And I am still doing great, I've had great numbers, just got spoiled I guess. Today is my 3 mos bandiversary date and I am down just shy 60 lbs! Not too shabby at all!!! Never in a million years did I imagine that possible. I want to hit 75 by Halloween hope that's doable.

Sixty pounds is fantastic! Congratulations! (My body is the same, drop some pounds and sit there a while.)

Oh Lori, that is absolutely amazing!!!! I am so happy for you. 60 POUNDS in 3 months - you are a champion! You make me realize just how possible this is - I can't wait to join you!

lynn1215---

You were saying a few pages back that you were having problems with food? I wasn't sure what you meant. Are you finding that you can't tolerate food?

my issues were that some foods are ok on some days and on others i have issues getiting them not to feel atuck. just last night I choked on water!

Usually I can eat about anything. and along with that, my fickle band will allow me to eat endlessly on some days and on other days almost nothing

Today is my 3 mos bandiversary date and I am down just shy 60 lbs! Not too shabby at all!!!

Never in a million years did I imagine that possible.

I want to hit 75 by Halloween hope that's doable.

Lori - CONGRATS YOU ARE FANTASTIC... It IS doable...

I just had my first fill. Now I really feel like I'm on my way. I only have a puncture wound 1/2 inch in diameter and a port scar 1 1/2 inch long. Today my doctor told me I was one of only 4 patients in the world who have had this type of LapBand laproscopic surgery ( with only 2 entry points), and just the second one that he had performed.

Could that be true? He was also able to give me my fill today very quickly and without the use of x-ray. I am on fluids the rest of the day, mush tomorrow, and REAL food on SUnday. Yahoo!!:lol: I have been on fluids for 4 weeks and mush for just 3 days before my fill. He told me I was not to eat red meat, chicken and bread, yet I have read posts from others who did not have these restrictions.

Lynn---Wow! Now that IS what I call a fickled band!! I was just saying on another thread that I see so much difference between days on what I can and can't eat or how I feel on the band but you have me beat. I remember you saying that it seems strange after so long being banded. Did you notice if it started happening at a certain fill level? I'm wondering if that's it.