Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I can't do bread. I tried a hamburger bun just the bottom part and that was a no go. Guess it's a good thing because nutritionist doesn't want me eating it anyway. But I have heard that toasted is easier to get down if you do have trouble, I've not tried that yet.

Maybe the diet bread would be easy to swallow since its pretty thin. You think?

What are you testing? did we pass?? :tt2:

Seriously, just got off the phone with the dr. office again. My rash is WORSE!! GRRRR I am to try benedryl now, I was to circle it with a pen so they can see if it's growing tomorrow. And I go in tomorrow. Dr. is in surgery all day today. It's worse than that horrible mosquito bite that just bugs the heck out of you. I feel like I am going to go insane from the itching. Anyone know what MRSA looks like? That's my big fear. One incision is much worse but a couple others seem a bit better. If it wouldn't be for that, I'd be feeling so good again. It's been 3 weeks today since Gall bladder surgery and next Thurs. will be 3 mos since banding. I want to get on with my new healthy life! At least the drive down tomorrow should be incident free, the convention is over tonight!!!!! The busiest section of the freewy in the entire state, is going to be shut down tonight during the busiest time, the evening rush, just for this convention and the fact they moved the speech to the football stadium. Glad I am not down that way today. But overall I think they've done a good job in informing people and providing alternate routes etc. And security has seemed top notch.

My daughter-in-law got MRSA visiting in the hospital. It started out like a bite and itched. They tested her and she took antibiotics for awhile. They tested my son and he got it from her. He took antibiotics too. You would think if you had it, it would have shown up earlier. Like I told you, I got cellulitis around my incision. It is treatable.

Well, after venting and whining on this thread and others, I called the PA at Dr Davis' office, and told her that I had no restriction. I have an appointment now on September 8 for my second fill. YEA! :thumbup::thumbup::eek:

Just wondering if you have problems eating bread. Tomorrow is my big day, the day that I can eat beef, pork, anything I want. I love sandwiches, but I have heard that bread was hard to swallow.

Hi PJ! Bread seems to be different for everyone. A friend of mine does fine with bread or toast. I didn't eat it until I was about 4 months post op....I just didn't crave it or anything. But now (I have had 4 fills) it gets stuck just about everytime I try. Earlier this week I ordered a cup of Soup with a 1/2 sandwich. I cut that 1/2 in 3 pieces and got stuck on my second bite. Bummer! I just waited until it passed & ate the meat & cheese. Just try it carefully and wait inbetween bites. You may not have any trouble now, until you get fills. My doctor really discourages bread though, would rather we eat more Protein. Enjoy your new choices tomorrow! :tt2:

Hey PJ, boy I think we all love our bread! I have no problem. I dont eat it often, just because of carbs etc, but I just finished a sloppy joe and had no problem. I've had two fills and do have a good restriction, just very fortunate that I havent had a problem with anything getting stuck. As the reply before mine says, everyone is different, just take it slow.

Linda

Maggie,

Good luck in your journey.

The pain wasn't too bad. They gave me liquid Lortab. I took one dose the night of surgery when I got home to make sure I slept well. The stuff tasted so horrible that I didn't take any more of it. I didn't really need it. The only thing that hurt was the area where the port was sewed. That spot on the lower left side was pretty sore for about 10 days, then I didn't feel anything there. I went back to work the next week with no trouble.

I had lap band 5-12-08 but I just joined this site. I enjoy the 50's group because we seem to have the same mindset. We are serious about this and know what to do. Some of the younger ones have a different attitude about the band.

My surgery was also not bad pain wise. The procedure was 45 minutes, recovery room 2 hours then 2 hour drive home(I slept) once I got home I took some Tordol Pain med and slept another 3 hours.

The next day I rested, the day after I was hiking again = I felt great!! Took only tylenol after that...Gas pains was really the only thing. but walking helped get rid of that...

The 5 wk post op diet restrictions were far worse than the surgery itself... liquids, then full liq, then mushies... yuk...

Hi all,

I went with my daughter today to her first visit with our PCP (my appt is next thurs). He supports our decision to have the LB surgery, tho he has more knowledge and has had more patients who have by-pass. He said his only concern was the high incidence of infections at the port site. He asked us what we knew about that? I told him I hadn't heard that there was a high incidence and I've been looking on here today. The only info I can find is that the chance occurs from surgery, as with any type of surgery. Does anybody know of any other info? I'm going to check out some other sites too. I'm going to have to use this as a good chance to educate him on LB.

I love coming here and reading about everyone's successes and even the troubles, and the answers and support given.

Thanks, Pat

I have been starving. I do not have my first fill until the 10th and today has been a really bad day. Some days I am able to handle it, but today was not one of them. I am trying to stick to Proteins when I want something extra as that seems to satisfy me the most. With restriction from the fill do you continue to get this hungry? I feel so discouraged today.

I am right there with you! I was banded August 6th. I did fine for the first couple of weeks, but I gradually got my appetite back. :biggrin:

I have found myself nibbling at the crumbs left on my husband's plate, trying bigger and bigger pieces - nothing seems to bother my stomach. Tonight I had 1/2 cup of chili, which I chewed well and lovingly. Now I feel terribly guilty that I couldn't last this last 8 days on liquids, and I am promising myself that I will get back on track tomorrow. I hope the doctor really tightens my band to the max next week!

MaryD

The beauty of the band is in the fill! Hang on--we've been there and we understand. It is so worth it to STILL make good food choices. Your fill will be here before you know it. I got wonderful support from the gang here on this thread and now, I am passing it on. Won't it be wonderful when it's YOUR turn tell someone of your great success?

50 lbs and counting! Judy

Hi Everyone.....I was banded July 10th and I received my first fill on Aug 11th. My next appt is Sept 11th so I'll probably get another fill. Sometimes I can eat and sometimes I'm not hungry - but if I don't eat then I feel a little nauseated. I'm losing more inches than pounds so far. I can tell it in my clothes. Finally I feel I'm at the point that I can use my lapband as the tool it's intended for. Sometimes I forget....and I feel like food is stuck so I still have to work on my CHEW CHEW CHEW!! Hope everyone else is going good in their weight loss. I love reading the different posts. I'm glad we have this site to turn to and the support of so many bandsters. TTYL..........

Have you tried eating small amounts at frequent intervals?

I was told 1/2 cup about every 3-4 hours.

That worked well for me.

My rash is WORSE!! GRRRR I am to try benadryl now, I was to circle it with a pen so they can see if it's growing tomorrow. And I go in tomorrow. Dr. is in surgery all day today. It's worse than that horrible mosquito bite that just bugs the heck out of you. I feel like I am going to go insane from the itching. Anyone know what MRSA looks like? That's my big fear. One incision is much worse but a couple others seem a bit better. If it wouldn't be for that, I'd be feeling so good again. It's been 3 weeks today since Gall bladder surgery and next Thurs. will be 3 mos since banding. I want to get on with my new healthy life!

So sorry about that rash! I have had intermittent problems with persistent rashes, but not recently. I don't know what MRSA looks like, or even if it has a particular "look", but I doubt that is the problem. One thing that has worked very well for me is Naftin Gel. It's Rx only, though.

36_11_5.gif

OK I am jealous - doesn' t seem like many of you came out of surgery starving!

I was told to stay on Clear Liquids until I saw the dr which isn't until 9/18. I wasn't sure about the Protein Drinks. Are they clear? I have some Slim fast that is high in Protein and I thought it would be good to mix with my required 3 servings of skim milk but they discouraged me from doing that. If that's not the right Protein Drink what is? Any recommendations - I am up for anything I am so hungry that the hunger pains is actually worse than the incision - I know that sounds crazy but it is true? If I can do protein in a clear liquid form I will try that but I just don't know how long this can hold out I know I can't be like this until 9/18

Thanks for listening

Sandi

I was only on clear liquids two days and then went on full liquids for 3 weeks. Call your doctor and go over the diet with them. Explain your discomfort.

OK I am jealous - doesn' t seem like many of you came out of surgery starving! I was told to stay on clear liquids until I saw the dr which isn't until 9/18. I wasn't sure about the Protein drinks. Are they clear? I have some Slim fast that is high in protein and I thought it would be good to mix with my required 3 servings of skim milk but they discouraged me from doing that. If that's not the right protein drink what is? Any recommendations - I am up for anything I am so hungry that the hunger pains is actually worse than the incision - I know that sounds crazy but it is true? If I can do protein in a clear liquid form I will try that but I just don't know how long this can hold out I know I can't be like this until 9/18. Thanks for listening. Sandi
I was only on clear liquids two days and then went on full liquids for 3 weeks. Call your doctor and go over the diet with them. Explain your discomfort.

I agree...call your doc's office.

That's an awful long time on clear liquids!!

Full liquids would allow you some thin creamed Soups, maybe some Tomato Soup, cream of wheat with a lot of milk in it, etc. Protein drinks... the Slim Fast is high in calories, and I think sugar content, so that's probably why they are telling you no. I used E.A.S. protein from costco (you can find it in other places... I think RiteAid carries it). You're going to get awfully discouraged, I'm afraid, being that hungry for three more weeks.

And, yes, I think all of us have experienced that hunger you're talking about... some may have just forgotten! That time until the 1st fill can be miserable... "Bandster Hell"! You will get through it, but sounds like maybe you & your doc need to come up with a compromise as far as what you can have!

7_4_17.gif 7_4_12.gif 7_4_17.gif

I had clear liquids for 4 days post op, then onto full liquids. For the clear I had broths, Isopure, Protein tea drinks sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles and that was about it. Once into full liquids I enjoyed Unjury chocolate, made with Water or skim milk, I also got Protein Powder mixes from Walmart and CNC, flavors are always a personal preference.

My nutritionist suggested I get the "Proteinex-18" liquit Protein. I get it at the drug store and it has no fat, sugar, sorbitol, carb or Phosphorus. All u have to do is shake, put a TBL in a drink, (I drink the K2O flavored lemonade) and mix. You cant taste it, and would never know you had added anything to the drink. You should use 2 TBL a day. There is 72 calories in 2 TBL and 18 gr of protein. Hope this helps someone. Oh, yes, it comes in 2 flavors, I like the Lemon Lime.

Linda