Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Except that your Protein needs are defined by your lean body mass or due weight in kgs. :) So even at 240lbs, you had the same or similar Protein needs that you do now. For instance, as a rough figure, I look at my goal weigh of 150lbs ( ;) ;) ;) we both know my "real" goal weight is anything <145lbs) and divide by 2.2 to get my goal weight in kgs. So that is 68.8kgs. We need roughly .8-1.2g or protein per kg to maintain healthy body functions for a "normally" sedentarish to slightly active female of my height and weight. I know my RD wants me to have about 74g and that is based on a super-scientific formula I can't remember. So I figure in rough terms, that I'm "ok" if I meet their general guidelines of 60-80g of protein per day. :) So I at least try for the high 60s to low 70s most days. Some days I win, others I lose.

That was my protein target at 287lbs. It was also my target at 325lbs. And it continues to be my target at 162lbs and <145lbs. The only way that changes is if I shrinkydink and my lean body mass really goes down. :( Cuz the more LBM we lose, the harder it becomes to maintain weight loss at a reasonable calorie level. And at my age it becomes even more difficult to gain LBM. When we don't get our sufficient protein, the we do go into protein autophagy. Some of that is guaranteed--cuz as we lose weight, we don't require as many blood vessels (protein), some skin goes (protein), some broken Proteins go (protein), etc...but we do also lose important LBM no matter how hard we try not to.

I hear you I do, but I'm not sold on the higher standard. I think I can phase in and out getting the recommendation and be ok. Only in perfect conditions does anyone always get the minimum, what about all the people who are culturally plant based and never ate meat sources. They still do fine. I have been vegetarian the majority of my life from childhood, before becoming hardcore vegan then flexing in and out of eating meat. Still I cannot tolerate it well. I have to fight to eat it. I cannot always struggle to eat things I don't tolerate base on a blanket recommendation made by a panel of 4 on the board of the WHO or other organizations. I have to do what's right by me personally. I fight my NUT and surgeon on this constantly. They have conceded and agreed to let me flex the amount *sometimes* and support my transition back to vegetarian at the 1 year mark

Edited by GreenTealael

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so what I didn't say is that the very tiny amount that Silly can eat scares the crap out of me. And by her own admission, she hasn't even been doing as well as this right now. This represented a good day for her. I also missed that she was doing it in a 4 hour window initially. In my mind, with as little as she eats, there is no way or reason to cut IF to 4 hours. Cuz if she opened it to even an 8 hour window, she could probably get in 60-80g of Protein per day.

In actuality, you can eat more than her, but you try more toward vegetarian. And ditto that...scares the hell out of me. I think it's even scarier for you cuz you're doing this while using vegetarian sources of Protein that do not have as much protein in it as lean meatacular stuff. So both of you are in my honest opinion playing with fire. :( But I'm just a lay person and don't know squat!

I just thought I should not rain on her parade like I did your's cuz I felt so bad about raining on your parade and being a d**k (even though I don't have that appendage)...and also, on this thread, I'm trying not to be judgey. It's hard AF cuz we all know I'm an assh*t sometimes. :( I'm just trying to turn over a new leaf. :)

Hello ... it's me

Yes, right before my vacation my schedule was hectic, and work travel makes it harder for me to get all my protein in. Plus when my Hair loss stopped, I stopped being as diligent with protein or supplements. Then vacation was a free for all, so not getting sufficient protein then either. I am and always have been terrible with fluids. Before this surgery I probably only ever had 64 oz a day if it was beer :lol:

But I do believe that protein and supplements are necessary for long term health. I don't push to get exactly 60g of protein. If I get 50g I'm good with that. I know 60 is better but that takes even more protein supplementing, and I can only drink so much Muscle Milk :P. Pre WLS my diet was very starch based, so I can imagine I rarely hit 60 g then either.

As far as IF, and the 4 hour window. Well, I only do IF on days that are easy, and it comes naturally. I don't force it. If I'm hungry, I'll give it a half hour or so to see if it passes, If it doesn't I eat. If I'm traveling and food temptation triggers hunger either physical or head hunger (hard to differentiate sometimes), then I eat. So really, IF is just a function of my lack of hunger, some days. The only thing I have changed since learning about IF is I wait for a half hour when I feel hungry, and I try not to eat too late at night to extend my window. But even then, I'll eat late if I'm truly hungry.

So in reality I'm just manipulating my eating times very slightly, and sticking the IF label on it. I would do this whether or not IF was a thing. The fact it may increase weight loss and or diminish hunger, is just a bonus.

I really try not to eat if I'm not hungry. Sometimes there is a social obligation to eat. But being around food makes me hungry usually, so I'm then eating while hungry, lol. But if I'm just working at home, or running errands, or whatever. I'm not going to eat just to get my protein in, or to eat a set number of meals, or hit a certain number of calories. I think if my body isn't telling me to eat, then I should listen to it. If on the rare day I go all day without any hunger. I will have a Protein Shake plus something else protein dense, like a yogurt, or protein Soup, or Jerky, in the evening to get close to that 60 g goal.

So yesterday was a not hungry day, so that's why I did the 4 hr window. My body was really done eating. I seriously couldn't finish that protein soup I had made, with the intention of getting to 57g.

No need to be scared for, or worried about me. Although I do appreciate it!

8 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Well that is one of the advantages of having RNY, is the shortened time it takes to move food through the areas of digestion/absorption. It has been one of the theories of why people lose more weight with RNY on average. But I think they are re-thinking that position in later research?

I read somewhere that over time the lower areas of the small intestine adapt, and that in a few years absorption is close to pre-surgery levels. Helps explain why maintenance is so hard.

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I hear you I do, but I'm not sold on the higher standard. I think I can phase in and out getting the recommendation and be ok. Only in perfect conditions does anyone always get the minimum, what about all the people who are culturally plant based and never ate meat sources. They still do fine. I have been vegetarian the majority of my life from childhood, before becoming hardcore vegan then flexing in and out of eating meat. Still I cannot tolerate it well. I have to fight to eat it. I cannot always struggle to eat things I don't tolerate base on a blanket recommendation made by a panel of 4 on the board of the WHO or other organizations. I have to do what's right by me personally. I fight my NUT and surgeon on this constantly. They have conceded and agreed to let me flex the amount *sometimes* and support my transition back to vegetarian at the 1 year mark

Ok, so I support your vegan/vegetarianism. :) Swearsies. I support your IF and doing it how you want. We all deserve to do our plan our way--regardless of anyone's opinions--even assh*ts like me! :D I can't answer the questions about cultures who base their societies on plant based foods. I can't even say what will or won't "possibly" happen to any of us who don't get our Protein in. Dr. Weiner and Dr. Vuong don't seem to think protein is a major issue. Please don't be stressed out by me! :) I was just answerin' your question about why I expressed concern for your 4 hour eating window and why I didn't apply the same filter to Silly. :) ((hugs)) You certainly look healthy and beautiful and I suspect if your doc or RD didn't think so, they'd run tests, and if it was protein related, they'd come up with a plan for you!!! :D And it would not be a plan developed or espoused by some schmoe on the internet (aka me). :)

10 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Hello ... it's me

Yes, right before my vacation my schedule was hectic, and work travel makes it harder for me to get all my protein in. Plus when my Hair loss stopped, I stopped being as diligent with protein or supplements. Then vacation was a free for all, so not getting sufficient protein then either. I am and always have been terrible with fluids. Before this surgery I probably only ever had 64 oz a day if it was beer :lol:

But I do believe that protein and supplements are necessary for long term health. I don't push to get exactly 60g of protein. If I get 50g I'm good with that. I know 60 is better but that takes even more protein supplementing, and I can only drink so much Muscle Milk :P. Pre WLS my diet was very starch based, so I can imagine I rarely hit 60 g then either.

As far as IF, and the 4 hour window. Well, I only do IF on days that are easy, and it comes naturally. I don't force it. If I'm hungry, I'll give it a half hour or so to see if it passes, If it doesn't I eat. If I'm traveling and food temptation triggers hunger either physical or head hunger (hard to differentiate sometimes), then I eat. So really, IF is just a function of my lack of hunger, some days. The only thing I have changed since learning about IF is I wait for a half hour when I feel hungry, and I try not to eat too late at night to extend my window. But even then, I'll eat late if I'm truly hungry.

So in reality I'm just manipulating my eating times very slightly, and sticking the IF label on it. I would do this whether or not IF was a thing. The fact it may increase weight loss and or diminish hunger, is just a bonus.

I really try not to eat if I'm not hungry. Sometimes there is a social obligation to eat. But being around food makes me hungry usually, so I'm then eating while hungry, lol. But if I'm just working at home, or running errands, or whatever. I'm not going to eat just to get my protein in, or to eat a set number of meals, or hit a certain number of calories. I think if my body isn't telling me to eat, then I should listen to it. If on the rare day I go all day without any hunger. I will have a Protein Shake plus something else protein dense, like a yogurt, or protein Soup, or Jerky, in the evening to get close to that 60 g goal.

So yesterday was a not hungry day, so that's why I did the 4 hr window. My body was really done eating. I seriously couldn't finish that protein Soup I had made, with the intention of getting to 57g.

No need to be scared for, or worried about me. Although I do appreciate it!

:) You know I'm a professional worrier, right? :) But what you and Tea say does have quite a lot of logic and food for thought in them and it challenges my belief system. That's ok. What usually happens is they force/encourage me to examine/re-examine and grow in some way--stretching myself and my paradigms. God knows I have not been tearin' up the tracks in the lbs lost department. And I have been the diligent one eating every meal, eating every damn gram of protein...and now worried that I'm eating too much. ROFLMFAO! :) So maybe you guys DO have the right answers!

I do know the thought of eating a snack today or even dinner is kinda repulsive to me. It's 4:30 and work has run late, and I'm just now getting to my green soup! Holy crap! So I truly don't know if it's best to acknowledge that and not force another meal/more protein on me. Or if I should just break it down and have yogurt or PP in coffee. Part of me is afraid to do things like this, cuz I do not want to be that girl that lives on PP and yogurt cuz it's easy and convenient for me and takes zero fuc*s to make. You know? I used to do that with cheese (and btw, did I mention cheese and salami too?) LOL...so it's just my own personal nightmares I'm probably visiting on your guys through projecting! God I would make a sucky counselor!

5 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I read somewhere that over time the lower areas of the small intestine adapt, and that in a few years absorption is close to pre-surgery levels. Helps explain why maintenance is so hard.

Ok so I've heard this too and my doc said so--so it must be true right? ;) LOL. Also, the found that the microvilli actually re-grow more tenatiously and in greater numbers than they did pre-surgery cuz they want to scrub as many nutrients as they can because things are moving so quickly. :( :huh::angry: It terrifies me really. :(

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so I support your vegan/vegetarianism. :) Swearsies. I support your IF and doing it how you want. We all deserve to do our plan our way--regardless of anyone's opinions--even assh*ts like me! :D I can't answer the questions about cultures who base their societies on plant based foods. I can't even say what will or won't "possibly" happen to any of us who don't get our Protein in. Dr. Weiner and Dr. Vuong don't seem to think Protein is a major issue. Please don't be stressed out by me! :) I was just answerin' your question about why I expressed concern for your 4 hour eating window and why I didn't apply the same filter to Silly. :) ((hugs)) You certainly look healthy and beautiful and I suspect if your doc or RD didn't think so, they'd run tests, and if it was protein related, they'd come up with a plan for you!!! :D And it would not be a plan developed or espoused by some schmoe on the internet (aka me). :)

:) You know I'm a professional worrier, right? :) But what you and Tea say does have quite a lot of logic and food for thought in them and it challenges my belief system. That's ok. What usually happens is they force/encourage me to examine/re-examine and grow in some way--stretching myself and my paradigms. God knows I have not been tearin' up the tracks in the lbs lost department. And I have been the diligent one eating every meal, eating every damn gram of protein...and now worried that I'm eating too much. ROFLMFAO! :) So maybe you guys DO have the right answers!

I do know the thought of eating a snack today or even dinner is kinda repulsive to me. It's 4:30 and work has run late, and I'm just now getting to my green soup! Holy crap! So I truly don't know if it's best to acknowledge that and not force another meal/more protein on me. Or if I should just break it down and have yogurt or PP in coffee. Part of me is afraid to do things like this, cuz I do not want to be that girl that lives on PP and yogurt cuz it's easy and convenient for me and takes zero fuc*s to make. You know? I used to do that with cheese (and btw, did I mention cheese and salami too?) LOL...so it's just my own personal nightmares I'm probably visiting on your guys through projecting! God I would make a sucky counselor!

I'm a true believer in letting your body guide you and mine is whispering "bi+¢h, you're not even hungry, have some water..." Lol

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

I'm a true believer in letting your body guide you and mine is whispering "bi+¢h, you're not even hungry, have some water..." Lol

I think you may be right! :) Ok, Water tonight for this wench right here!!! Or hot coffee or tea unless I am hungry - after 30 minutes hungry! :)

food for the day:

Rotation of teas, Water and even a coffee w/PP!

Turkey paleo wrap (lazy, need to go shopping)

Peanut brittle from my local health food store (too much sugar sadly so this is the last first and time)

Maybe yogurt later, doubt it...

Around 58 g Protein (include PP)

Lost count of oz of fluids

Non fasting hours 3-9pm

IMG_20180905_094822.jpg

IMG_20180905_151720.jpg

IMG_20180905_151836.jpg

Ok, so trying to read all the posts, absorb the back n forth logic/info. I had to get outta the house cuz, you know 'no food day', so I got a pedicure and shoe shopped for the grandgirls at a Shopko Payless Bogo plus senior 15% discount. Yaaas!!

Anywho, pic of quilt design but not in my colors...

images.jpeg

17 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so I support your vegan/vegetarianism. :) Swearsies. I support your IF and doing it how you want. We all deserve to do our plan our way--regardless of anyone's opinions--even assh*ts like me! :D I can't answer the questions about cultures who base their societies on plant based foods. I can't even say what will or won't "possibly" happen to any of us who don't get our Protein in. Dr. Weiner and Dr. Vuong don't seem to think Protein is a major issue. Please don't be stressed out by me! :) I was just answerin' your question about why I expressed concern for your 4 hour eating window and why I didn't apply the same filter to Silly. :) ((hugs)) You certainly look healthy and beautiful and I suspect if your doc or RD didn't think so, they'd run tests, and if it was protein related, they'd come up with a plan for you!!! :D And it would not be a plan developed or espoused by some schmoe on the internet (aka me). :)

I also have not lost a lot of weight lately, but my body looks different. So maybe it's a plateau where things get repositioned.

Just now, Sosewsue61 said:

Ok, so trying to read all the posts, absorb the back n forth logic/info. I had to get outta the house cuz, you know 'no food day', so I got a pedicure and shoe shopped for the grandgirls at a Shopko Payless Bogo plus senior 15% discount. Yaaas!!

images.jpeg

LOVE your solution to the no-food day!!! You're a freakin' rockstar!!!! Doncha just love the sr discount??? I will take it every time. I will play that card! :D

LOVE this quilt design!! And the colors. You are so talented!!! I can't wait to see how it's coming along!! Who will receive your quilt when it's finished?

3 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

images.jpeg

Beautiful!

5 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

images.jpeg

Whoa! That design is stunning!

Fluff, that quilt is all mine!!!...lol for the master bedroom which is aqua.... I will post progress pics, and when I finish it.