Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can’t date overweight people



Recommended Posts

I’m just frustrated with dating. Two years after surgery I know I will always need to be vigilant to keep weight off. I can’t be with someone who struggles with food or isn’t active. I’ll get sucked right into their lifestyle.

It makes me feel shallow, even though I know it shouldn’t, and it limits the dating pool. I guess I didn’t have any expectations concerning relationships after weight loss, but I did/do have aspirations. I’m tired of being single, and when you exclude overweight women, single moms, women 8+ years older than you, people who don’t have their **** together, women who want kids, and people so into Jesus it’s in the first 15 words of their dating profile, it’s like trying to find a specific needle in a haystack-sized pile of needles. It’s frustrating and sometimes it hurts.

That’s my venting for the day. Off to find something enjoyable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No help here but I have a feeling that I could have written the same rant. Thinking about being in the "dating pool" or having to fish there doesn't give me good vibrations at all.

How old are you, btw? Is that 86 in your name the year you've been born?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could have written this same rant about anything that doesn't live up to my expectations,lol

I think being specific/selective is a part of self care especially if you know it will derail you to be around bad habits ... I'm just happy this post wasn't as shallow as I thought it was going to be.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ryan_86 said:

Off to find something enjoyable.

Perfect, because this is where you'll meet the person who fits into your lifestyle! You're right to be picky. Being with the wrong person is much worse than being alone. Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryan_86 said:

I can’t be with someone who struggles with food or isn’t active.

My only question is if you rule someone out based upon weight alone how do you know this isn’t something they are actively working on?

Are you saying you would never date someone that has had the same issue as you did? There are women that may be actively losing weight that aren’t going to share this with someone right out of the gate.

For me it’s like saying I would never date a short man or a man that was losing some hair. I’ve learned basing attraction solely off of looks does rule out some prospects for no reason, but some of this comes with age and experience.

Things like intelligence, a great sense of humor, integrity, manners, and the like are more things I look for now.

Not saying you should be with someone you aren’t attracted to, but sometimes just because you don’t feel overwhelming lust for someone at first sight doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a look.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

My only question is if you rule someone out based upon weight alone how do you know this isn’t something they are actively working on?

Are you saying you would never date someone that has had the same issue as you did? There are women that may be actively losing weight that aren’t going to share this with someone right out of the gate.

For me it’s like saying I would never date a short man or a man that was losing some hair. I’ve learned basing attraction solely off of looks does rule out some prospects for no reason, but some of this comes with age and experience.

Things like intelligence, a great sense of humor, integrity, manners, and the like are more things I look for now.

Not saying you should be with someone you aren’t attracted to, but sometimes just because you don’t feel overwhelming lust for someone at first sight doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a look.

Completely agree. I am single and I know i've been turned away for being overweight but then I also know I have criteria I look for in a man as well....baldness was a no but as I get older I think its about the person, but there does have to be something whether it be on the inside or outside of that person I am completely attracted to. I'm not even sure, once I'm done losing weight that I'll be attractive inside or out.... and not sure if I want to put myself out there, if it happens it happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean. It isn’t easy but maybe you can be the positive influence on someone to get them to become more active and have a better healthy lifestyle? Just a thought....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get your concerns about being with someone that will support your new lifestyle. As far as some of your other requirements, no one is perfect, we are all a work in progress - so keep that in mind.

It will be difficult to find a woman without children, or that doesn't want children - that alone will be your biggest hurdle.

I suggest joining activities that you really like, bowling, join the community theater and help build stage sets, join the county fair committees, ride horses, dance lessons, biking, hiking, stained glass class, community college travel groups,whatever floats your boat. Go where there are groups/clubs doing things and just have fun - usually this is the best way to meet new people. Even go one or two towns over from where you reside.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

My only question is if you rule someone out based upon weight alone how do you know this isn’t something they are actively working on?

Are you saying you would never date someone that has had the same issue as you did? There are women that may be actively losing weight that aren’t going to share this with someone right out of the gate.

For me it’s like saying I would never date a short man or a man that was losing some hair. I’ve learned basing attraction solely off of looks does rule out some prospects for no reason, but some of this comes with age and experience.

Things like intelligence, a great sense of humor, integrity, manners, and the like are more things I look for now.

Not saying you should be with someone you aren’t attracted to, but sometimes just because you don’t feel overwhelming lust for someone at first sight doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a look.

Thank you for your response.

My aversion to dating overweight people is not aesthetic. I’m concerned if I’m around someone who eats poorly or is inactive, I’ll begin to eat poorly or be inactive. Obesity is socially contagious, and much of my success has been due to being single in the first place - I didn’t need to be around unhealthy food for anyone else’s sake. I’m actually impressed with those who did have to be around unhealthy food and yet still succeeded. I don’t think I could have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My dear, it is a more than equal ,certanity you will not be,bothered**** as a still obese. single person it is VERY UNLIKELY I would. be attracted to a smirking self-righteous dude that feels obesity,is a communicable,disease,that might reinfest,him due to,faulty vaccination. And when I finish my weight loss I still WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED for frankly,, my,Dear, I CAN DO MUCH BETTER!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

My dear, it is a more than equal ,certanity you will not be,bothered**** as a still obese. single person it is VERY UNLIKELY I would. be attracted to a smirking self-righteous dude that feels obesity,is a communicable,disease,that might reinfest,him due to,faulty vaccination. And when I finish my weight loss I still WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED for frankly,, my,Dear, I CAN DO MUCH BETTER!

Unlike many people on here, you and I live with other full-grown adults who make their own food decisions. Maybe it doesn't bother you when your son brings something very unhealthy into the house, but I admit, it makes it very hard for me. When one of my boys made fried chicken the other night, I ate a small piece. I shouldn't have; it makes it harder for me to stay on plan. Having four other, non-obese people in the house means I have to face temptation every single day and it sucks.

Ryan, I get what you're saying about avoiding people who eat poorly or are inactive, but there are plenty of normal-weight women who will present the same unhealthy temptations as overweight women. You might actually do best finding a compatible person in the support group meetings for WLS. They are chock-full of people who are trying to eat healthy and exercise more.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2018 at 10:53, Orchids&Dragons said:





Unlike many people on here, you and I live with other full-grown adults who make their own food decisions. Maybe it doesn't bother you when your son brings something very unhealthy into the house, but I admit, it makes it very hard for me. When one of my boys made fried chicken the other night, I ate a small piece. I shouldn't have; it makes it harder for me to stay on plan. Having four other, non-obese people in the house means I have to face temptation every single day and it sucks.




Ryan, I get what you're saying about avoiding people who eat poorly or are inactive, but there are plenty of normal-weight women who will present the same unhealthy temptations as overweight women. You might actually do best finding a compatible person in the support group meetings for WLS. They are chock-full of people who are trying to eat healthy and exercise more.


Exactly this! My husband is not obese, but we have had to have some discussions about foods that cannot be brought into the house and changes in behavior that he needs to make to support me in this journey or at least not inadvertently sabotage me. I know I’m the one that had surgery, but such a drastic change for one half of the relationship does not happen in a vacuum. Willpower fails, because we are human. Being realistic about that fact is self preservation. I don’t want the surgery to have been for nothing. I’d also like to see him adopt a healthy lifestyle with me, cause I want him to be around forever and enjoy life with me.

I totally get where Ryan is coming from. I don’t think it is shallow or superficial, I think he is being self aware about his own willpower and the risks associated with constantly being around temptations.

I wouldn’t date a smoker... because I know that would increase the likelihood that I would smoke again.

Ryan- keep on keeping on! Best of luck!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryan_86 said:

My aversion to dating overweight people is not aesthetic

The point I was trying to make is if you look at someone and they are a bit overweight and you decide based off of that, that they are living an unhealthy lifestyle filled with junk food and a sedentary lifestyle then I’m sorry but you are making assumptions about people based solely off of looks that may be incorrect. It is the same as assuming that because a woman is thin she must eat healthy and exercise...sorry but it’s not true.

I am not encouraging anyone to seek out morbidly obese people to date if that’s not their thing but just trying to state that assuming things about ppl based off of snap judgements could be a mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

The point I was trying to make is if you look at someone and they are a bit overweight and you decide based off of that, that they are living an unhealthy lifestyle filled with junk food and a sedentary lifestyle then I’m sorry but you are making assumptions about people based solely off of looks that may be incorrect. It is the same as assuming that because a woman is thin she must eat healthy and exercise...sorry but it’s not true.

I am not encouraging anyone to seek out morbidly obese people to date if that’s not their thing but just trying to state that assuming things about ppl based off of snap judgements could be a mistake.

That’s fair. I had in mind something a little more specific than what I described, and you’re entirely correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Sosewsue61, that finding a woman without children and who doesn't want children is by far a bigger hurdle than finding someone not obese.

I also agree @KimTriesRNY that just because someone is a normal weight doesn't mean they have good eating habits or active lifestyle.

I do totally get what you are saying though. It gets harder to date the more criteria you have. I'm in that same boat, although my criteria are different.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SleeveinIL

      Saw the surgeon yesterday. He is very pleased with my loss thus far. I am averaging about 10 lbs a month. Turns out my nutritionist and my surgeon have vastly differing ideas on how many calories I should be eating right now. Nut put me on 1K a day. Surgeon said nope, they are wrong, go to 800/day. Too bad I have been following what the Nut advised. I could have lost more weight already. Oh well, I will do it now! I am also going to add another day of working out to help break this stall I have been in since 8/28. I am very happy as this week I was able to get into a size XL shirt and I am wavering on pants sizes, but I am wearing a lot of size 18 that are too big or are getting too big. The inches are still dropping off nicely. I saw my parents for the first time after a long time this past weekend (they live out of state) and my Dad who never says anything gave me some super nice compliments. My sister also did...her words as we were trekking through the airport on a long upward ramp were along the lines of "Before the mind was willing but the body wasn't. Now your mind and body are in sync. Before we would have had to have stopped at least once and now you aren't even phased by this." What a great thing to have someone recognize. 
      · 1 reply
      1. AshAsh1

        I was there yesterday too! My appointment was at 1:30pm. And its crazy that they told you 800 calories per day, when they told me 1k yesterday, but I've got my own agenda lol.

    • CrankyMagpie

      Had my final pre-op appointment today. Next Wednesday my liquid diet starts. It's getting real.
      · 2 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        You'll do great! I've got faith in you!

      2. SleeveinIL

        It got real for me about day 4 of the liquid pre-op diet! LOL You will do great. You've got this.

    • Shannon lee

      Has anyone reading this lied about your weight just to get the surgery done?
      · 4 replies
      1. skinnylife

        The surgeons office will weigh you pre authorization for surgery. How do you lie?

      2. MargoCL

        How can you lie, like @skinnylife stated they weigh you at the surgeon's office and throughout each of your pre-op steps. There is no lying in this, everything is documented, double checked, etc.

      3. Coachthex32

        I had to gain 20 lbs. Makes no sense. High Blood Pressure, almost diabetic, and sleep issues (stop breathing in the night).

      4. Leia

        I dont think I could have if I wanted to, they'd been weighing me regularly for 6+ months before the surgery, and then again the day of.

    • Lucy81

       I don't know what to do for my birthday being that I just had weight loss surgery I know that I have a lot to be grateful for
      · 1 reply
      1. iattcom

        What would you normally do?

        Instead of planning a meal, what about an activity that you enjoy.

        If the weather is nice, plan a picnic and explain that you are not eating and will not be providing a cake instead if you wanted you could have birdseed bags that people could use to feed the birds or the ducks in a pond at the park where the picnic would be held. Everyone could bring their own lunch if they wanted to attend and you would only have to make little birdseed bags.

        If nature walks are more your style, do something along those lines and just let everyone know that for your birthday you are planning an activity and not a party. There will be no cake and ice cream if that is what they are looking for, they can just stay home.

        You could ask your friends to join you in a day of caring and you could all volunteer together somewhere either serving at a soup kitchen, helping at a shelter or a children's center or even a senior center.

    • GreenTealael

      I managed to finally break my old school manual Italian espresso maker... Is this a sign? 
      · 2 replies
      1. abefroman329

        Of what?

      2. GreenTealael

        Of what indeed. I thought at first I should give up coffee, nonsense.h Then I thought I should go out for coffee with friends more. Then I thought I should go to Italy for coffee with friends and get a new maker...

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×