Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've tried but it's hard when you have to refuse food or drinks. So far I've only told family and if anyone asks I just say I had surgery and drop it at that.

At first, pre-op, I only told my immediate family & best friend. I felt like you ... that I didnt want to deal with the negativity of others. That said, now that it is over & I feel so great, I am telling anyone & everyone who asks! This has been a total life changer for me and I am no longer concerned with the responses. I feel good & that is all that matters. And to be honest, I have encountered VERY FEW negative opinions. Most people are happy for me because they can see that I am happy.

Do what is best for you, but I'd suggest you take it as it comes. You need to feel comfortable with what you chose to say.

I am getting a sleeve next Monday, and have only told my husband. I didn't tell him until I had all the pre op test done. I have not told my two children, my parents, siblings or friends. I am already nervous and don't want the added pressure or attention to my progress. Tell who you are comfortable telling. You are not obligated to let anyone know.

I told NO ONE ! IVE LOST 54LBS AND IM HAPPY BUT I FEEL SO ALONE ..I HAD MY SURGERY IN MEXICO AND I HAVE ALOT OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS BUT IM HAPPY WITH MY WEIGHTLOSS.. I HAVE NOT WORN ANYTHING UNDER A SIZE LARGE IN YEARS. AND IT FEELS SO GOOD .I JUST WISH I HAD SOMEBODY I COULD TALK TO ABOUT IT.. EVERYONE THINKS I HAVE BAD STOMACH PROBLEMS.. PPL TELL ME I LOOK LIKE IM 18YRS OLD LOL! IM 44...I JUST REAALY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CHEWING SOOOOOOOOO MUCH AND SLOW...WHEN I DONT IM IN PAIN ALOT AND I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN..

I didn't tell anyone but immediate family at first. BUT, if someone ask, I tell them. Makes no difference to me what they think. I did it for me, not them.

I'm six weeks away from surgery and so far only my immediate family (parents, sister & family), my three closest friends, and my minister at church know. My dad told me that he did tell my aunt too, so I'm now going to assume that not only does my aunt know, but both my uncles and other aunt now know too. My trainer at the gym also knows too--we've been working out together for 3 years, so he knows me well and will need to be able to adapt workouts for me when I am cleared to exercise again until I am at full strength.

I don't know yet if I'm going to tell people at work or what I'm going to tell them. It still seems so personal to me.

Yeah I was pretty open about my having the surgery. Which now that I'm looking back on I am very glad that I did. There is nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to dealing with obesity and trying to do the things you can do to help overcome it. I also think that by me being so open about the procedure and all the pluses and minus post surgery its not only helping me to deal with the journey better, but it may help someone else who may also be thinking about weight loss surgery.

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

when I was banded, i kept it a secret. Told my partner, my children and my closest sister. One day I was at a family reunion, walked into my sister's campsite in time to hear her telling everyone there all the terrible things about my lapband. She didn't see me at first, and when she did, changed subject but never awknowledged that break of trust. It was especially painful because I was having severe problems (it was right before i had to have all my fill removed and give up on the band).

When I was sleeved, I didn't tell "everyone" but I don't make a secret either... this has worked alot better for me. I assume anyone I tell will likely blab it.

I decided to be very open about it and I have received an overwhelming amount of positive support from family, work and friends. For me, talking about it was the final step in letting go of my shame about being overweight. And, you have to remember, the weight loss will be extreme, so at a certain point, do you want people to wonder or be concerned about your health? Personally, once I owned my decision, the doors flew open and I felt like a huge weight, pardon the pun, had been lifted for me mentally! Good luck on your journey.

One word that says it all.....HIPPA. My business is my business, not everyone else's. I'm a very private person with everything. But, to each their own. Everybody is different.

I have told only my mom and daughter. The two friends I mentioned it to said I was crazy. So, Im headed to Mexico with my mom and daughter and ready to live again! If people ask, I will say diet and exercise. Im done with judgement and opinions.

I originally told my mom when I first thought about getting it but I told her to please not tell anybody because it was my business, next day I get a call from my sister in law asking about the surgery, so I ended up telling my mom that j changed my mind, I got sleeved 2 days ago I haven't seen my mom in a few months so she might be able to tell idk yet. I did tell one of my brother, 3 of my best friends and my neighbor who had gastric bypass so we are like supporting each other through the journey. Other than that I don't know what I should tell people, personally I don't want to talk about the surgery unless is someone who might benefit from it too.

One word that says it all.....HIPPA. My business is my business, not everyone else's. I'm a very private person with everything. But, to each their own. Everybody is different.

Absolutely!!!!