Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I was banded 11/25 too. I havent been that hungry but probably because I am still swollen and sore. I think this is because they had me in intensive care for one day post op. I couldnt move around much because I was hooked up to so much stuff. I am home and trying to walk a lot now. I bet I will be hungry soon. This diet is soooo much less than I used to eat.

Hi everyone! it's good to see lots of us November Bandsters out there sharing facts/ideas/stories.

I was banded on Wednesday, the 26th, so this is my second full day from surgery. Today has been the hardest, but still not too bad. The worst is the Constipation, which i'm hoping is on the way to being gone! I had my daughter get me some apple juice and benefiber, as suggested by my Dr., so we'll see how it goes.

I see a lot of other Novembers have been having constipation issues, too. Any other suggestions out there for the first 2 weeks after surgery? I've seen the apricot suggestions, but i'm not on food yet. Has anyone tried prune juice? Any pros or cons for that?

Thanksgiving for me wasnt too bad. I had chicken broth while everyone else had turkey, but thats about all i wanted. And the smell of the turkey cooking actually enhanced the broth for me, it didnt bother me like smells did pre-op.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Rhonda

Really, the Constipation will pass on its own if you let it go. I went three to four days at a time without a need to "go". I finally had a few days of very loose stools and am back on track now. I still do not go everyday though. I have been on mushies since Monday and have only gone twice. I think it is just a part of it.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you begin to really FEEL bound up.

I am 10 days post op & still on cleasr liquid diet. In 4 days I can move to full liquid diet! Now my question is this I have read people on hear talk about oatmeal cream if wheat & cream Soups while they are on full liquid diet. Are these things considered full liquid?? What is the difference between mushies and full liquid then? And then you have solids which is regular food that you just really chew, right?? I am a little confused where does mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes come in? Are they liquid, mushie or solid??? Help please!:blush:

Yesterday rocked...my Joe made me made turkey broth with the legs and thighs, reduced it down by half (make it very rich and flavorful) and I had it and about four bites of very thinned out mashed potato. It was actually a wonderful, peaceful holiday at home, but I did a good job of eliminating any sense of a traditional thanksgiving by sending the kiddos off with their dad and my family being out of town this year anyway.

The scale took a four pound hop downward this morning. I had my first lunch out today at La Madeleine and could not finish a small cup of Tomato basil Soup, which cracked me up and made me giddy with delight. That's usually a large bowl for me, not a small cup, certainly not HALF of a small cup, plus i usually would get strawberries romanoff, bread, butter, jam, maybe some Pasta salad. Half a cup of tomato basil soup and I was full for three and a half hours and satisfied. No grief or upset that could not finish it at all. I was ecstatic.

I get hungry pretty often, every two to four hours and eat a little bit when I feel the need according to my postop diet. But I seem to have good restriction still at this point, and my first fill is three weeks from today, so as it eases up, my ability to eat whole Protein will increase with the loosening of my postop diet to mushies and softs and help me control my hunger until my fill comes along.

I am thrilled with my decision.

I am 10 days post op & still on cleasr liquid diet. In 4 days I can move to full liquid diet! Now my question is this I have read people on hear talk about oatmeal cream if wheat & cream Soups while they are on full liquid diet. Are these things considered full liquid?? What is the difference between mushies and full liquid then? And then you have solids which is regular food that you just really chew, right?? I am a little confused where does mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes come in? Are they liquid, mushie or solid??? Help please!:blush:

You really should consult your physician's definitions..it seems everyone's is different. I am on full liquids since the day after surgery, and can have creamed soups, Tomato Soup, any kind of broth, FF pudding, cream of wheat Cereal, V8 juices, SF popsicles. Mushies include any soft food the consistency of baby food, including mashed potatoes. Sweet potatoes can get stuck in the band due to how fibrous they are and we were told not to try it until after 6 months.

Obviously though my surgeon does things differently than yours though, as you are just now starting full liquids. So they may define full liquids differently.

Edited by gentylwind

You really should consult your physician's definitions..it seems everyone's is different. I am on full liquids since the day after surgery, and can have creamed Soups, Tomato Soup, any kind of broth, FF pudding, cream of wheat cereal, V8 juices, SF popsicles. Mushies include any soft food the consistency of baby food, including mashed potatoes. Sweet potatoes can get stuck in the band due to how fibrous they are and we were told not to try it until after 6 months.

Interesting note about sweet potatoes. My doctor didn't tell me that about sweet potatoes, but it makes sense!

Yesterday I had mashed sweet potatoes with dinner and all was well (I am 3 weeks and 2 days post-op). :blush:

I admit I have four bites of mashed potatoes yesterday. I would put a little amount on my spoon then fill the spoon up the rest of the way with turkey broth. Tasted like mashed potatoes with gravy!

Hi all! I am a new bandster and new to this forum.

I was banded on Nov 26th. Dr. Srikanth here in Washington did an amazing job. I have some soreness at the port site, lots of gas pains, and am still taking medication for the nausea, but I am able to do spurts of 15 minutes on the treadmill. I can't wait for all of the gas to go away. I was hoping to return to work on Monday, but I might take a few extra days at this point.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 3 post band for me and I'm still using the pain meds for the pain & still have lots of gas pains in my shoulders. I also feel a bloating sensation like some of the other posters mentioned. Able to do simple house chores and walked around the block today (got tired but not too bad:redface:). I'm hoping the weekend will be better:thumbup:.

I'm 8 days out, I had my surgery on 11/20. I feel great. Tomato Soup is my best friend right now. I don't think I've lost any weight yet, but I'm not sure how that's possible considering I drink nothing but Water, and I live on Soup, popsicles and carnation instant Breakfast. The swelling has gone down and nothing hurts. To tell you the truth, nothing has really ever hurt. I was having these early morning cramps in my stomach, but they barely woke me up. I only took the prescribed meds the night of my surgery, after that I was using Advil and I haven't used that in a few days.

I have had no gas pain. Which I was fully prepared for, so now I have like 3 boxes of Gas-X strips beside my bed. I can tell when I get full from the soup, I feel full. But the fullness doesn't seem to last very long. I really don't feel like anything is in there.

I go to the doctor for follow up next Thu, and I'm hoping to get the green light for mushy's. I'm ready to chew!

I got mine 11/24 and I'm feeling quite hungry too. Sounds like we are on the same diet. When I do eat, I can't finish the 5 oz of broth or Protein Drink before my stomach starts hurting. And, nothing sounds good. Nothing tastes the same either. The popsicles taste too sour and the Jello too sweet. I did mix the bariatric chocolate shake/pudding mix as a pudding today and got all of that down. I would love to have some eggs or oatmeal about now!

The center called me today, and when I said I was hungry they said I could start the cream Soups now. It was so good!!

Day 5 and counting. Feeling great overall, but I don't want to jinx it. Down 9 lbs already from Monday. On track sometime this weekend to be -40lbs from my mid-Sept consult weigh-in. :blush:

Went out for a while tonight and got tired pretty quick. Might try to walk a bit at the gym on Monday.

I did have a Eureka moment on Thursday - KFC mashed potatoes and gravy. Stirred up together it was soupy. Was able to get 3 servings out of one side. One cup serving came to 130 calories, 4.5g fat, 19g carb, 2g prot. Made it feel somewhat like Thanksgiving.

Hope everyone else is doing well!