Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Hi everyone - I was banded on 11/5/08 - about 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm doing great. I was on Clear Liquids for 5 days, then full liquids, now on pureed/mushie foods. When I go back to doc for 1st fill (in 3 weeks) he wants me to be on normal diet for one week. I am having trouble determining what to eat - it's a grey area between pureed and mushies. I've lost a total (since pre-surgery diet) of 25 pounds - but it's wierd - I don't really see a difference in the way I look-clothing is a bit loose-but I thought I'd be in the next size down by now.

I can start to exercise in one week-hopefully this will help. I am back to about 90%-still have to take a little power nap in afternoon-but I'm feeling really good. Bought "Oh Yeah" ready-to-drink Protein Drinks from bariatric.com -they're really good-especially the vanilla flavored. Found out at my doc appt that he repaired a hiatal hernia - haven't had a bit of reflux or heartburn since surgery! Good luck to everyone out there!

Hello to all my November people!!!

Well its been 17 days, and I am feeling good. I had my 2wk check up, and it appears that things are well. I don't have a clue about when I will receive my fill, but I dont' think it will be until mid Dec. I was suppose to meet with the nutritionist, but they were not there. Crazy! I just feel a bit over the place about this pureed mushy thing.

My first meal was shrimp and mashed potatoes. LOL! I chewed, chewed, chewed the shrimp. I took it really slow, I was so scared to get full. I think I just stopped mid way through my meal. I was content, so I guess that was a good thing. I ate the rest, a few hours later. I was hungry again. I thought I would be full for hours (LOL!), was shocked that didn't happen.

Since Friday, I have had scrabbled eggs and Soup. The killer was on Saturday, I had a half of burrito. I was shocked that it went down. It didn't get stuck at all. Well I had a moment, when I can tell that it was almost too much, but I had no problems. Of course I didn't sit there and eat the whole thing, but I ate more than I thought I would be able to.

I am just scared, cause I don't know what I should be eating. Can I eat noodles? Does anyone have ideas for an eating plan. I just want to be successful. This is starting to get a bit scary.

You will be able to eat more than expected because you haven't had a fill yet.

Day 3 postop here and I am starting to feel pretty darn good. I have a lot of tightness in my chest still and tons of tummy burbling going on. I apparently "overate" last night...had 3 TBSP of cream of chicken Soup and 1/2 cup of FF pudding and felt SO freaking tight in my chest. VERY uncomfortable. I won't be doing that again! My incisions are not nearly so sore...I have gone almost 24 hours now without pain meds...and I did a little Christmas shopping yesterday. I still get wore out though..I was in bed by 8 PM last night and slept through the night, but am staying mostly active during the day. I feel pretty lucky. I know the restriction will ease up some as the swelling continues to fade. My scale isn't moving, but I am not too worried about that right now. Just learning what is too much to eat is interesting. I find I am thirsty almost constantly and have trouble getting in enough fluids.

All in all, I am doing better than I dared hope I would.

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but SO glad I found it! We don't have a support group in my area so I feel all alone... I was banded on November 7th. I'm only down 13 pounds. I thought I would be down more than that. But I only lost 1 pound last week. That also happened to be the week I started on mushies. So I'm sure there's a correlation. I started working out again on Friday. Hopefully that will move things along. I'm SO glad I did this and so far have NO regrets. Looking forward to a healthier, skinnier me!

Banded 11-07-08!:thumbup:

weight.png

Edited by CallyeJane

Hi all! I'm new to the forum but SO glad I found it! We don't have a support group in my area so I feel all alone... I was banded on November 7th. I'm only down 13 pounds. I thought I would be down more than that. But I only lost 1 pound last week. That also happened to be the week I started on mushies. So I'm sure there's a correlation. I started working out again on Friday. Hopefully that will move things along. I'm SO glad I did this and so far have NO regrets. Looking forward to a healthier, skinner me!

Banded 11-07-08!:ohmy:

Don't feel bad! I've only lost 9lbs and I was banded Nov 5th. And, every pound of that weight I lost in the first 6 days post-op. So trust me, you aren't alone. It's been very discouraging to me not losing any weight in 2 weeks, bouncing back and forth between the same 2lbs. Driving me nuts!!!! But I also know that the first 4-6 weeks are for healing, so we shouldn't even be thinking about losing weight right now. Don't worry, we'll be losers soon enough! :thumbup: :cool2:

Funny you say that about the floating between 2 lbs. I ahve lost 17 lbs since pre-op but have been stuck between the last 2 lbs for 6 days now. Glad I am not alone

I love you guys, I was banded Nov 5th. and have only lost 10 pounds. I have not posted or even come on this website in days because i've been so down on myself. I'm glad I did read the posts today to find out that I am not alone. The problem is that I have NO restriction at all. I have been walking almost everyday and I have been controlling what I eat which is alot less than before but I am still a slow loser at this point. I do get my first fill next Monday. I think that will make a difference. I hate getting on the scale so Im going to stay away from it until after my fill. I also see that some people are still on liquid or mushies. My doctor only had me on that for the first 2 weeks. I guess if I was still on liquids I would have lost alot more by now to. He said if I don't feel restriction it means all the swelling is down and I can pretty much eat what ever I want as long as it is cooked well and not like a tough steak. So im eating real food therefore not losing as much as with liquids.

My program states no bread, tortillas,pasta or rice for 6 months. Also eat your Protein first then your veggies then your complex carbs. You should be eating no more than 2/3 cup at one time. You have no restriction as you have no fill,but start training your brain.Good luck!

Just got lap band today the dr found and removed a hernia but the only problem as of now is trapped gas and a little sore but dr gave liquid vicaden for pain

Kutach, I was also banded yesterday. Some slight soreness (as one of my nurses said, "Hey, it's surgery. There's going to be some pain") and some tightness from the band. Overall, my experience was much better than I expected.

Thanks to Dr Curry and his staff! I'm on my way!

Day four here and I am back at work and feelin' really fine. The scale took a nice hop downward yesterday afternoon and I have now lost my first 10 lbs, which rocks. I suspect I have lost more than that based on my clothing's fit, but the swelling is masking it right now. I started to get some shoulder pain while out Christmas shopping yesterday and it comes and goes. Its pretty tolerable, just feels like a bad muscle knot that needs massaging. I have zero incision pain at this point and only very mild soreness under my port site. No pain with coughing, sneezing, laughing or straining.

Hunger has not really been an issue. I do get hungry, but three tablespoons of creamy Soup or about 1/2 cup of regular broth or Tomato Soup and I am good for hours. I am having trouble getting in enough Protein. I tried a Protein Shake yesterday and just about barfed. I can't tolerate it now for some reason, though they were fine before surgery. I also am not getting in enough fluids. I have a hard time drinking Water constantly all day in tiny sips, so that is taking some practice and self-reminding.

In all, I think I will be back to 100% by the end of the week. My first fill is in three weeks.

Post op day seven here. Doing pretty well. Had a urinary track infection post op day four. Now that the antibiotics have taken care of that feeling pretty good. I have never burped this much in my entire life. Anybody else burping a lot? Even a drink of Water makes me burp. I must be swallowing air or somthing with it. I'm actually a pound heavier than my preop weigh in. I was so dehydrated from the bowel prep I'm not supprised. I came home six pounds heavier but the scale is slowly going down. I can eat only about 1/2 cup of mushies at a time. I pureed vegetable Soup with grilled chicken, looks disgusting but taste just like chicken vegetable soup. Going to the gym for the first time tonight with my hubby. We'll see how long I last on the eliptical machine!! I think we are all doing fabulous!!! Just to have been banded is a huge step for our health.