Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I didnt want to tell any of my "friends" wich are my husbands softball friends wives, because I really dont consider them friends. I think its none of thier business. BUT my husband decided to tell the one husband that has the wife with the biggest mouth, now im sure everyone knows. Her reaction was first, can I get one and the $^%*& wears a size 12. and second thing she said was oh now your going to have to watch it because shes gonna be hot and all the guys will ask for her number. Shes lucky I wasnt ther because I would have told her that guys ask for my number now how bout you...

weight.png

My mother took me shopping to buy me something for my birthday. I was trying on clothes and she said 'You are as big as a house.' Honest to God, my own mother said that to me on my birthday. That was over 20 years ago but I will never forgive her for that.

The list of rude comments I have received from doctor office nurses is too long to list.

Edited by marie715

I was wearing red scrubs one day and a patient said to me "You look like a beat with a thyroid problem." I have no idea what that means, but I'm sure it wasn't nice.

I've never ever honest to goodness had anyone be intentionally rude to me unless we were fighting. Seriously. I know fat people are discriminated against, but people are always nice to me. I asked my husband once after reading a thread similar to this on a Weight Watchers Board "am I just clueless? do people jeer at me and me not notice?" and he told me "no, EVERYONE is nice to you. I don't why" LOL

I'm generally cheerful and friendly and upbeat; maybe that's why? I don't give them a chance to be pissy?

Well, my fat story goes like this. I was skinny all my life until 2 years of oral steroids for a skin condition and then thyroid disease ruined my weight and my self image. My older brother recently got married (05-23-09) and I was invited to the wedding. He is rather well off and there were a lot of the "beautiful" people there. They had hired a photographer from the beginning of the wedding all the way through the party that night. The photographer completely avoided taking pictures of me embarassingly so that everyone knew it and kept coming over to me all night dragging him telling him to take a picture of me and them. Obviously when you gain weight you don't want your picture taken so it was really embarassing when they kept bringing him over. I finally excused myself the rest of the evening and went upstairs and cried my eyes out. I missed the toast. It was awful. That morning my new sister in law made the statement to my stepfather that there are some people you have to invite whether you want to or not and that is family looking right at me! That was my defining moment when I said enough is enough. I was banded 06-17-09 and will have my first fill 07-07-09. Can't wait. Lost 10lbs already. I am avoiding cameras until I feel good about being in front of one again. Sometimes people can be so cruel. I heard a good line in a movie once. Sometimes you have to let the bad in with the good. Unfortunately that means family too. God Bless you all and Good Luck.

I've never ever honest to goodness had anyone be intentionally rude to me unless we were fighting. Seriously. I know fat people are discriminated against, but people are always nice to me. I asked my husband once after reading a thread similar to this on a Weight Watchers Board "am I just clueless? do people jeer at me and me not notice?" and he told me "no, EVERYONE is nice to you. I don't why" LOL

I'm generally cheerful and friendly and upbeat; maybe that's why? I don't give them a chance to be pissy?

Restless, you are indeed fortunate that everyone has been nice to you. I, and I am sure many others on this board, are generally cheerful and friendly and upbeat yet we still receive incredibly rude and unkind remarks. It is not about giving someone a chance to be pissy. That makes it sound like the rude encounter is the victim's responsibility. Rude, insensitive people don't need to be given an opportunity. They just ARE rude at any time. That is probably what you meant but I just wanted to clarify it because sometimes it seems as if overweight people are blamed for everything.

iam a male and people mostly men just come right out and say {boy you are fat} one guy said how is your wife handling your weight gain. i didnt really know what to say so i said were all fat at sometime in are life. iam due to be banded july 10 cant wait.

This woman from my church came up to me and said, "my sons and I were watching The Flinstones Movie last night and you look just like Betty!! Rosie O'Donnell is not someone I want to look like. :thumbup: I avoided her for a long time and the next time I saw her, she said it again! :smile2: Some people . . .

This woman from my church came up to me and said, "my sons and I were watching The Flinstones Movie last night and you look just like Betty!! Rosie O'Donnell is not someone I want to look like. :thumbdown: I avoided her for a long time and the next time I saw her, she said it again! :blush: Some people . . .

How rude and from church too. I think I would have said,"Well, we were watching TAles from the Crypt last night and my gosh, YOU look just like the cryptkeeper, Amazing( and shaking head in amazement). And then, I would have said it again the next time I saw her :o)

How rude and from church too. I think I would have said,"Well, we were watching TAles from the Crypt last night and my gosh, YOU look just like the cryptkeeper, Amazing( and shaking head in amazement). And then, I would have said it again the next time I saw her :o)

LOL :blush: I wish I would have said something like that! That would have been classic. Thanks for making me laugh like 4 times :thumbdown:

iam a male and people mostly men just come right out and say {boy you are fat} one guy said how is your wife handling your weight gain. i didnt really know what to say so i said were all fat at sometime in are life. iam due to be banded july 10 cant wait.

You know, mylisa1, my husband and I were talking about this type of thing several weeks ago. How guys can go up to each other and say hey! You sure have gained weight. Or they say something like Hey! You're ugly! and this is "okay" to do to one another. I don't care who you are, if you are joking or not, any type of negative comment has to embed in one's psychy somewhere. Guys don't show the emotional side of themselves like women do. If someone were to say those things to a woman, she would most likely burst out crying.

I just think before you say something that is supposed to be "funny" then it should be evaluated to see if it could be taken as a personal offense to another person, be it male or female.

Congratulations on your upcoming band surgery! :thumbdown:)

God there are so many time when someone that I did not know had to point out the fact that I was fat as if I had no clue about it people can be so mean to one another and I really dont know why I to put myself donw so that no one else will say what I have just siad kind of thing that the lady above was talking about I stoped dating becasue I did not want to be made fun of

but as far aw the worst gose I think that they all were bad but I date a boy and after making love he said holly you are getiong super fat I could not say a think I just ran to my room layed on the bed a cryed he came in and said what are you upset that god I am not with him any more

but as far aw the worst gose I think that they all were bad but I date a boy and after making love he said holly you are getiong super fat I could not say a think I just ran to my room layed on the bed a cryed he came in and said what are you upset that god I am not with him any more

Gosh Holly, that is so hurtful! Thank God is right that you aren't with him anymore. He sounds like a real ass.

When I was on my liquid diet 2 weeks before my surgery on 6/25/09, I had gone to my parents house for fathers day. My whole family was there. I had asked them to please eat before I got there because I was on liquids and didn't feel comfortable sitting at the table watching everyone eat. My step mom actually yelled at me. Told me it was fathers day and I was a part of the family and just because it was my choice to lose weight I was going to sit there whether I liked it or not. Mind you I am 35 years old. I called my father and my brother and explained things to them and they said they would handle it. It was agreed they would eat at 2pm and I'd be there at 4 after I got off work. I showed up and they had not even started eating. My brother showed up and I was almost in tears because of course my step mom had made all my favorite foods. Fortunately my 1 yr old niece was teething and didn't want to sit down and she loves her Aunt Kathy so she and I walked around the house while everyone else ate. Of course step mom got upset when I told her I didn't want ice cream for dessert. I explained to her that just because it was a liquid didn't mean I could eat it. That seemed to shut her up. She has been supportive ever since. Just weird how some people don't care how you are feeling or if what they say or do is going to hurt you.

Gosh Holly, that is so hurtful! Thank God is right that you aren't with him anymore. He sounds like a real ass.

I know he was a mean one