Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

Wow I love these. My grandma is the worst I know. She has always made mean comments to me...But I found out that it is not just me...She hates all the youngest females in the families. Sad I know but helps to know it is not just me she hates.

I remember all of the most hurtful ones like it was yesterday...

I remember in high school going out w/ friends one night..I looked cute..cute clothes, worked a long time on my hair etc. Well, a guy(who is a jerk but friends w/ the guy I liked) said to me...why do you get so done up, people are just gonna wake up in the morning and realize you're fat.

I remember a boy in grade school saying when you cross a bridge and it says 'load limit 2 tons' do you turn around and go back or just chance it.

I remember having a health fair in the 8th grade and having to weigh in a big room w/ all my classmates. The people doing it were not careful about the numbers they wrote down so I was then called "221" for weeks afterwards.

Our gym class was the same way, except mine was "219" and I was teased soo badly at school. Thank God that was decades ago. But the memories are still there and not forgotten.

Edited by beautiful mariposa

I was in HS and wasn't really that big. I thought I was HUGE, I weighed about 150. I was bigger than most of my friends. Anyway, I was at the grocery store checking out and a friend of mine's brother (who was really loud and really obnoxious) asked me why I didn't come over to the house anymore, the other fat girl does!

I have seen him on FB and he is the Fat boy now!!!

I have had a few post surgery comments that make me feel like I am being judged for having the surgery. A heavy set lady I work with was asking me all sorts of questions about the LAP-BAND® and telling me about her weight problems. We had a lot of the same medical issues in common when I was at my heaviest.

So I said "are you asking about this because you're interested in getting the LAP-BAND®?" and she said "Oh, no...I am going to lose my wieght the right way."

:huh2:Now what is that suppose to mean???

She means repeatedly, you know, lose 20 gain 30, lose 25 gain 35, etc.

My take on the "easy way" or "right way" comments is this: If I were going to build a house, I wouldn't choose a shovel as my only tool. I would want a crew, concrete pourers, hammers, well you get the point.

Just like in losing weight, I want to use everything possible available to me. The lap-band is one of the most helpful tools I came across. For me, I would be stupid not to use it in my arsenal to lose weight.

When I worked as a paramedic, I was talking to a lady during transport who it took 5 fireman to get her out of the house and down her stairs and she looked at me and said "your not skinny either". Another one said to me when I was questioning her about the rats eating at her toes and the roaches crawling out of her purse, she commented that at least "I am not fat like you are".

Wow, people can really be cruel! :biggrin:

I've gotten so many!

My lovely step-mother who has always been jealous of me for different reasons (I was pretty much raised by her. My mother passed when I was almost 2 and she came along when I was almost 4) and would constantly be putting me down one way or another. When I was about 7 or 8 and not in the least bit fat, actually I could have probably stood to put on a couple pounds, said to me when I went to take one tater tot off the stove off the pile she had left for my dad "Get your hands off, you fat pig!"

I was also accused of eating things that I didnt eat. She would say "Oh c'mon, Amy. You think if no one sees you eat it that you won't gain any weight!" WTF? :biggrin:

She also used to tell me when I was an overweight teenager that I should lose weight because "fat girls don't get boyfriends. They spend their Friday nights alone."

When I was getting married, before hand she had told me that she and my father would buy me my wedding gown but I needed to lose weight first." And get this, she was always at least 100lbs overweight if not more.

I've also gotten the "You have such a pretty face. If only you'd lose weight."

When I was in my senior year of high school someone told me that some jerk asked my boyfriend at the time if he had "Porked that whale yet?" I was a size 13/14. I weighed 175lbs and I was 5'5" I also have a slightly upturned nose and one kid used to call me fatty pig nose and he would take his finger and push the tip of his nose up. The funny thing is he didnt even need to do that. You could see clear up his nose at all times it was so upturned. I dont even think his nose had a bridge! :lol:

When I worked as a paramedic, I was talking to a lady during transport who it took 5 fireman to get her out of the house and down her stairs and she looked at me and said "your not skinny either". Another one said to me when I was questioning her about the rats eating at her toes and the roaches crawling out of her purse, she commented that at least "I am not fat like you are".

How cruel. I'm wondering if she was just embarrased and needed to take the spotlight off herself????

But still... so hurtful.........

Sounds like something my mother would say!!

I distinctly remember one comment my mom made to me when I was around 12. She asked me if eating was my hobby. I still remember that to this day.

I distinctly remember one comment my mom made to me when I was around 12. She asked me if eating was my hobby. I still remember that to this day.

Oh.... I'm sorry she said that to you. Sadly, I have lots and lots of rude and terrible things my mom said to me. My one along the lines of that is in my elementary school book ( pictures, report cards... basically the history of my elementary days) Under favorite activities my mother put "lunch". This is when I was in the second grade.

I guess our best revenge for all those terrible and rude things said to us is the fact that we are taking control of our lives and bodies with the help of our bands.

That's crazy rude. Best of luck with your LAP-Band

Ohhh snap! You got it girl.

Just a couple weeks ago I went in to my surgeon's office for my 1 year post op visit. I've lost over 130 pounds by this point & i'm a size 14 jean. My surgeon's office takes pictures- 1 preop, 1 6mo, & 1 1 year out. So the girl takes me back, and then hollers at this other chick to take my picture. The chick goes "oh is she preop too?" WTF!!!!! My mouth flew open. I know i'm not thin or skinny yet, but come on!

I was camping and a kid from the next camp site kept racing his motorcycle through the middle of our camp site. I went over to the other camp site and asked the adults if they would please tell him to stop that. One guy said, "Just look at you - no wonder your so unhappy." My self esteem was in the bucket for a week.

OK, here are a few comments that were made to me before surgery: -

So-called friend: Don't you wish you could have your photo done at Glamor Shots?

Same person: Don't you wish you could wear sexy underwear?

My mum (although I know she did not mean to be so hurtful), while visiting mum, she would introduce me to her friends as,"This is my daughter who lives in America" and mum added, "she wasn't this size the last time I saw her".

Being invited to dinner by friends of my sister, hostess said to my face, "I said to my husband, as you were coming to dinner we better put more meat in the pot".

Also very hurtful was the way people would avoid making eye contact, as if to say, oh please don't let me have to talk to a fat person! And the way (at neighborhood luncheons) people would do anything to avoid sitting next to the big girl!

Now I am loosing the weight there is a different attitude, but I cannot forget those remarks; I am still the same person on the inside - fat or thin! I am having a hard time letting go of those negative comments. Does anyone have any thoughts that would help me get over this? Thanks for letting me vent! Good luck to all.