Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

Well, I was walking with my friend down a fairly busy road. A group of teenage boys drove by and one screamed "FAT ASS" out of the window. I acted like I didn't care and kinda shrugged it off in front of my friend, but when I went home I cried for about 3 hours. :thumbup: Still hurts my feelings when I think about it. Why do people feel the need to humiliate others? If they really knew how much it hurt, do you think they would still do it?

PS, I hate when you are out to eat and the waiter or waitress asks you if you'd like desert, and you respond "no." They come back at you with a "Are you suuuuure??" Like, I know you want it because you are such a fattie. JERKS!!

Edited by hansnmerl

Well, I was walking with my friend down a fairly busy road. A group of teenage boys drove by and one screamed "FAT ASS" out of the window. I acted like I didn't care and kinda shrugged it off in front of my friend, but when I went home I cried for about 3 hours. :thumbup: Still hurts my feelings when I think about it. Why do people feel the need to humiliate others? If they really knew how much it hurt, do you think they would still do it?

PS, I hate when you are out to eat and the waiter or waitress asks you if you'd like desert, and you respond "no." They come back at you with a "Are you suuuuure??" Like, I know you want it because you are such a fattie. JERKS!!

In response to your question "If they really knew how much it hurt, do you think they would still do it?" My answer is Yes, they would still do it. Anyone who would say that is a jerk and they don't care about anyone else's feelings.

However, as far as waiters or waitresses responding "Are you suuuuree?" That, I would attribute to them trying to sell high profit margin Desserts rather than insinuating that a customer really does want a dessert because they are fat. Really, I'd cut the waiter some slack on that one.

I look back and kind of laugh about it now, but, I definitely didn't then.....

I was at an appt. with my PCP, who had a new "nurse" that does the weight, BP, gets the info before you see the Dr.

So she walks me over, I step up on the dreaded scale, and she looks at me, and puts the first weight on 150, I ignored her, and of course she had to move it up, I motioned for her to move it up again, then again. Her eyes getting bigger every time, she is LOUD and totally freaked out that I weigh "almost 300 pounds"! Her words not mine! So we move on into the exam room---the scale is of course in the middle, where anyone around or in other rooms could see and hear....terrible set up.

Anyway, I sit up on the exam table, and she is in a chair below me, and she says to me "Oh my God, you have the skinniest ankles, I cannot believe they hold you up!"

I said something about my feet and ankles being the only skinny thing I have, and she tells me "I know!"

Then every so often in the questions she would just say "I cannot get over your weight, I would never have guessed you to be that heavy---EVER!". Well good for her!

I mentioned to the Dr. he needed to discuss it with her, he was embarassed by it! She was not there the next time, but I have no idea if it was related or not. She was not like she was meaning to be mean and rude, she was just stupid!!!

I do get lots of "taking the easy way out" comments. Who cares!!! I always ask them, why wouldn't you do something to make things easier?? I use a newfangled machine to wash my clothes these days too!!! DUH!

Best comment???? 30th school reunion, and a guy I had not seen in the interim, telling me I had not changed at all, he would have known me anywhere! Yeah it felt good!!!

I've read a number of these tales now and for the life of me all I can think is, "Why do you think God gave your middle finger the ability to stick up from a fist?":biggrin:

Ohh man i have tons of stories... I can go into a few lolz..

I was riding the bus in high school and this kid that was not skinny himself called me MiMi from drew carry and i walked up to him on the bus and in front of all the kids i backhanded him and he cried and all the kids cheered.. lol so it took a little bit of a hit to his ego however we ended up being best friends later that year how odd is that one?

I had this happiness bunny shirt that said yes im perfect now quit staring and this group of guys walk by and they were snickering and they said did you read her shirt and the guys are like Perfect? *snicker* and i turned around and i said yea... and that includes my hearing! they kinda shut it a bit lol...

On my wedding day in vegas there was a guy that walked by me and my husband after we were married but he was like dont do it man shes a fatty! and i just ignored that one because what kind of an idiot is going to ruin that day for me? nobody thats who....!

I moved to california and i had a hurt back and i was doing better and this guy in gamestop which was an old used up looking dude that was super ugly with a beer belly had the balls to continuously Moo at me and im sitting here thinking wtf dude... i didnt do anything about it but told my husband about it later and he said he would have kicked his butt lol... Made me feel a bit better..

The sad one is my husband telling me he wants a trophy wife and telling me how pretty ill be when i get thin and just is focused on then and not on me now and he can say such mean things without even trying and from the one you love that one hurts the most but he had better behave or his trophy will be for someone else..

i guess as an adult i've been pretty lucky. other than a few people who were having some kind of a beef with me over just anything throwing out the fat card as a part of their anger towards me, i haven't heard much. i did used to have a good friend of mine who was much heavier than me and people used to get us mixed up fairly frequently and that did hurt my feelings, even though it was never intentional.

as a kid though, i remember being picked on unmercifully and it was really awful. also really tough was how everyone else was dating and having girlfriends and i was left on the sidelines. i finally lost all my weight at 20 (eventually gained it back and then some in my 30s/40s) and wound up with the most beautiful woman and it was like a miracle.

one thing that really stands out in my memory that i don;t think i've ever shared is how when i was gaining weight rapidly in high school i would outgrow all my jeans and my mom was like oblivious and i'd have to lie down and suck suck suck in my stomach to just barely be able to button my jeans and how stressful that was and how some days i truly feared that i would not be able to get into my pants. as a male, there is always the embarassment of having "man-boobs" as well, although again i think i've been lucky to not have heard nasty comments regarding that.

When I was younger about 13 I got told by a ymca counselor that i would be gorgeous if i just ya know lost a little, I looked at him and my words where well when im 18 you can bend over and kiss my a$$ cause im the hottest thing there is! LOL let me tell you he was floored! at the time I was 13 a full 36C and wore a size 8 dress. I looked like i was 20! I have always developed WAY ahead of the other girls.

not that long ago i got into a fight at my families bar they own in Oregon and the only thing she could say to me was your a fat a$$ and you should call jenny craig! I was all B&*(h I may be fat but but I can hold my head up high, I am in love with an amazing man, and you are nothing but the waste that gets flushed down the toilet, a 50 yr old woman who depends on a child to take care of her can she cant put down a bottle or leave desperate men alone! Ill be skinny one day and you, youll still be the trash beneath me. she couldnt even understand me. the people that put us down are the people that have worse problems than us! its just easier to pick on us cause they think we will take cause society says kate moss is what a woman needs to look like! We society I am pre-op testing and large and in charge!! My husabnd worships my body and loves me im happy but not healthy THATS why i chose to be a loser, a loser of excess weight that neither defines me nor gives me any limitations to what I can do! Dont ever let them tell you different! as my quote says below..Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself! I live this everyday. It took alot for me not be a victim when I was younger didnt have it very well, but now no one can stop me!

Not that I want to relive this but the worst thing ever said/done to me was in middle school, go figure! I was coming back from lunch and saw a "Save the Whales" flyer posted on two different walls, in parentheses was my name. Just when I thought things could not possibly get any worse I saw that my fellow students actually signed it. I guess that's what I got for trying to fit in regardless of my weight issues. Of course I went on, without crying or even acknowledging what went down but I went home and cried my little heart out. I wish there was a time machine that could take me back to that girl to comfort her.

I think that was a life changing point for me, ever since then I've had little expectations from people in general and have built a shell that I'm pretty sure cannot be penetrated by humans. I still care for others, I'm still a giver, I still have close relationships but to be honest there is pretty much nothing anyone can say to me that will ever hurt me again.

Worst part, I'm pretty sure the guy that was behind it was fat himself.

Best part, never again was anyone bullied in front of me. I may not have stood up for myself but I made sure that I would never let that happen to someone else in my presence. Which in turn made me look tough and the kids new I was a force to reckon with. Funny thing about kids is they don't know the difference between a bark and a bite, THANK GOD!

I was snooping in the 30's area even though I'm in my 40's B)

Can I just say in my 'imaginary mind' I would want to punch most of these people in the head. Granted I'm not a violent person but wow that would just feel good!

I've heard a lot of things myself and so has my autistic son.... I just tell the kids 'people who make fun of someone else, are just trying to cover up their own problems, and in making fun of others is their way of making themselves feel better'. (granted at the time feelers are still hurt)

I love the person who made the comment of 'more douchebags'... there certainly are plenty of them out there! :D

I know this is an OLD thread, but I'm new and had to add my $.02

I have not always had a weight problem, so I didn't have to deal with a lot of garbage in school, but I gained a little weight my senior year after moving to a different school. The next summer, I saw someone from my old high school who asked me what had happened and commented that I had gained weight. Just to clarify, I was 5'4" and weighed a whopping 120 pounds at that time. HELLO?!?!?!

The only other time I have been truly hurt by someone's comment was just a coupleof years ago. As we are all sitting down to eat Christmas dinner and everyone has their plates piled high, my F-I-L looks specifically at me and my plate and says "well THAT'S why you're so damn fat!" I tried to play it off with yep, I like to eat...especially at Christmas, but then I went outside and cried. The rest of the family was mortified and my husband had to go inside to see if I was just overreacting, only to find out that that really WAS what he said. He offered to leave, but then tried to justify it as my F-I-L is getting senile and does not realize what he is saying. Didn't help much to help me feel better, but...

For the most part, though, I have been pretty fortunate. Of course, I typically beat others to the punch and make my own jokes, but that is more of a shield than anything. Hopefully, I won't need that shield for too terribly much longer.

Renee

My best friend's father had not seen me in 6 years. I didn't have a weight problem six years ago. Then he told me that he had not realized that I was pretty. He gave me an half an hour lecture that boiled down to you are to smart to be that fat. I know that it came from concern for me, but that was pretty rude. My friend's fiance was there too and that comment was aimed at the both of us.

All my life I have been around 20lbs overweight...which was such a big deal to me then but now it's just a drop in the pan compared to the 100+lbs I need to lose after having four kids. Anyway, my whole life girlfriends have always said the same thing to me..."you are so pretty, if only you could lose some weight...then you'd be a knockout" I'm thankful that they think I'm pretty but it annoyed me that it was the same comment, over and over. Still to this day I get comments about how I'm the 'most beautiful larger-woman' they have ever met. Thanks for qualifying it!

Ugh. I'll be glad to get my band on Jan 12th and get this journey going. I have already lost 12lbs in 5 days on my pre-op diet...yay!!!!

"you'd be hot if you were skinny"- ive heard this probably 6 times.

and all of the other rude comments come from my literally demented grandma. gotta love family ;-)

Well I was called Walrus for a long time that felt really thrilling but now I look at them and say ha your still ugly though

Here are three that come to mind. The last one amused the hell out of me. :)

I was visiting a new Dr. and after getting the results of the regular checks (blood pressure, blood sugar, general blood tests etc. - they were processed earlier in the week) he was performing my rather intimate female tests and with my legs in the air and me completely exposed he said, "You're the fittest fat person I've ever met." I was 180 lbs at 5'4" at the time.

I had no idea what to say, needless to say I never saw him again.

My first husband made the comment, "When I look at you all I can see is my mother, naked in the tub, fat and dead from a heart attack."

This was somewhat amusing since I was regularly running 5 miles and he couldn't run a single mile.

I was working at a company and training a new girl on how to run the front desk, she was very very tiny (size 00 - I tucked her tags in a few times). One day she came to me and asked, "Do you have a tampon?" I said, "Yes." She then asked, "Is it a normal size one or a jumbo one?"

I assured her that it was a normal size tampon and that plus size women still use regular tampons.