Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

When I was in high school I thought I looked good I was even on varsity cheer. well one night we head this huge bonn fire and there its this thing were we compete shadings the football team. "anything you can do I can do better" well the guys lifted there biggest player in the air. Then said lift one of the fatty girls. Needless to say that was me. . I was strong and did as I did and climbed on top of the pyramid but shortly after excuses my self to use the restroom. I shut myself in the bathroom for an hour crying.. I was fifteen and never trellised I was bigger then my friends. After that I basically stopped eating then I just kept getting bigger..

I an 100 lbs heavier then I was that day rev years ago. That sucked to even write. If things are not spelled right oh well cuz I can't read it again.

We were on a family vacation in Myrtle Beach when my mother compared me to a beached whale. X.X

I have 2 things... One wasn't even about me but it still pisses me off...

1. When I first started dating my husband I was 18 and in really good shape, probably the best shape I have ever been in... I am 5'5 and at that time weighed about 150lbs, but I was pretty fit. When I met his parents for the first time his father was extremely obese (still is). After we had lunch we left. My husband called his dad to see what they thought of me (on speaker phone). His dad said "She was really nice, but she could use a little nip tuck don't you think?" I was devistated. Then I quickly got over it and said VERY loudly in the car "Is he serious?? Seriously he would say that? does he even owna mirror." His dad hung up the phone. Now my father in law is very nice to me. Needless to say he has never again mentioned my weight.

2. This is the one that isnt about me but it was said right in front of me and seriously pissed me off. There is a lady at my office who is thinner and older but not really old. She was standing in front of my desk talking with a group of people and made a comment about another co worker. He is on the bigger side. Definately in the obese catigory but not big like he cant walk or needs a crane to get him out of his house... Well this woman said "I am sure he eats a ton" another coworker of mine said "I have been to lunches with him and to him house for a picnic and I have never seen him eat an extreme amount of food" The ignorant coworker then said "Well that is because he was in front of people... He probably stuffs his face hen no one is around. You dont think he would eat like that around people do you? When people like him eat in public they dont eat the same as they do in private" So I am very outspoken and have a bit of a problem keeping my mouth shut at times... I said "Oh really...When 'people like him' eat in private how do they eat?" she responds "oh well you know" I said "Obviously I don't" she said "oh I dont know, I dont mean to be nasty or rude" I said "ok" she just walked away looking rather embarassed.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people who have never had a weight problem make gerneralzations that all people who are overweight eat like you see on the biggest loser. And that bothers me... Just because I am over weight doesn't mean when I am home alone I eat 4 cheese steaks, a pizza and a dozen wings... SMH!

Other then those 2 specific things the only other things that annoy me is like how sometimes I am refered to as so and so's fat friend. Or you know Kelly the heavy girl...

I have 2 things... One wasn't even about me but it still pisses me off...

1. When I first started dating my husband I was 18 and in really good shape' date=' probably the best shape I have ever been in... I am 5'5 and at that time weighed about 150lbs, but I was pretty fit. When I met his parents for the first time his father was extremely obese (still is). After we had lunch we left. My husband called his dad to see what they thought of me (on speaker phone). His dad said "She was really nice, but she could use a little nip tuck don't you think?" I was devistated. Then I quickly got over it and said VERY loudly in the car "Is he serious?? Seriously he would say that? does he even owna mirror." His dad hung up the phone. Now my father in law is very nice to me. Needless to say he has never again mentioned my weight.

2. This is the one that isnt about me but it was said right in front of me and seriously pissed me off. There is a lady at my office who is thinner and older but not really old. She was standing in front of my desk talking with a group of people and made a comment about another co worker. He is on the bigger side. Definately in the obese catigory but not big like he cant walk or needs a crane to get him out of his house... Well this woman said "I am sure he eats a ton" another coworker of mine said "I have been to lunches with him and to him house for a picnic and I have never seen him eat an extreme amount of food" The ignorant coworker then said "Well that is because he was in front of people... He probably stuffs his face hen no one is around. You dont think he would eat like that around people do you? When people like him eat in public they dont eat the same as they do in private" So I am very outspoken and have a bit of a problem keeping my mouth shut at times... I said "Oh really...When 'people like him' eat in private how do they eat?" she responds "oh well you know" I said "Obviously I don't" she said "oh I dont know, I dont mean to be nasty or rude" I said "ok" she just walked away looking rather embarassed.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people who have never had a weight problem make gerneralzations that all people who are overweight eat like you see on the biggest loser. And that bothers me... Just because I am over weight doesn't mean when I am home alone I eat 4 cheese steaks, a pizza and a dozen wings... SMH!

Other then those 2 specific things the only other things that annoy me is like how sometimes I am refered to as so and so's fat friend. Or you know Kelly the heavy girl...[/quote']

That is so sad. I know what you mean. Society thinks I can eat 12 big macs, 4 large fries, 3 large pizzas and a 100 wings. I definitely don't and I don't know any obese person who does. Every person in my family is over weight. It all comes down to genetics and our poor exercise habits. Yes, food choices does have something to do with it but we don't stuff our faces in front of the TV all day :( my own doctor once told me to get off the couch and to stop eating the bag of chips and to join weight watchers to learn Portion Control. Ahhhh thinking about it raises my blood pressure and makes me want to cry.

My story was very recent. I am only 3 weeks post-op. A few weeks ago my daughters went to my dad's house together. My stepmother was sitting with my eldest talking about my surgery and how I should have been able to just watch what I eat, etc. Then she went on about how I don't like Protein drinks. Sorry, I do have "texture" issues with certain foods and they make me gag. I just cannot do the OTC Protein drinks. To which she told my daughter, well, I am sure if you put it in a McDonald's cup she would drink it!!! My daughter was so hurt but didn't want to start a fight and just ignored the comment. To my face, my stepmother acts like she is so proud and excited for me.

Seriously!! Way to make my daughters feel comfortable with their mom having surgery and putting me down. Now my daughters and I have made a bit of a joke of it that I should show up with a McDonald's cup the next time I am there (even if it is just Water in the cup).

People can be so heartless and cruel ~ even family! :(

Wow that woman is lucky you are so controlled I would have called her on it! But people are just nasty sometimes you keep on going and feel good about you. If someone has never had a weight problem they just won't get it :)

I had a boyfriend who would constantly call me fat and put me down. he wouldn't just say "you Fat" he would say how disgusting I am I need to lose weight I have 9 rolls anything you can think of he would say. I never understood why if I'm so fat and it disgust him then why was he with me lol and I know he never cheated on me or anything. he would tell me he loved me and we had good times. but what I never understood even more was why I stayed with him for so long. YUCK!

My boss told me in a fit of rage that " you need to get healthy." I told her " I am trying." To which she responded "don't try! Make it happen!" Don't think that was at all legal. Nor the half bonus and raise.

My mother has been the worst for me. I was in a size 16 and she asked me if I needed 2 seats on an airplane. Of course I got the 'you're so pretty, if you would only lose weight' which was followed a few years later by 'you used to have a pretty face, but you don't even have that anymore.' She started telling me I was fat when I was 5 so needless to say she gave me a complex about weight and food in general. Thankfully my hubby is wonderful and supportive and has told me getting surgery is my choice and he loves me no matter what. I am just glad my hubby is more supportive than my mother! :wub:

My mother in law told me I needed to go on a diet, I weighed 122 lbs. She put me on a diet and I lost 10 lbs and then gained 20, continued until I hit 274. I wish I never went on this first diet!!!

my mom told me i was fat when i was 10 (weighed about 100 pounds). i remember this to this day....36+ yrs later

words hurt..

Okay so must of what is written here has been said to all of us...but I have got a good one. This was probably about 20 years ago but it sticks with me and I think about it all the time' date=' I was told that I look like...think about a person who is fat, that is also ugly...okay you got someone in mind...well this is worse!!! I was told that I looked like Rosanne Barr!! I am telling you that has stuck with me forever, but soon I won't be looking like her any more.:thumbup:[/quote']

U don't look like Roseanne Barr. Ur beautiful!!

A few of the most hurtful things I've heard is the most common one "ur so pretty if u could just lose some weight" like I don't know I need to lose weight!!

Also as a child I don't think I was over weight but my baba always told me I was cute and fat in her think Ukrainian accent wow thanks baba way to boost a young girls self esteem!! ( she herself was a very large woman!!)

Another time was when my ex boyfriend who is the father of my 2 children came over one time about 10yrs ago and I said I had grown as a person meaning grew up and he implied that yes I had "grown" broke my heart all over again and he was a big reason I had weight problems as I suffered from depression thanks in part to him!!

Lastly I was in a medical clinic waiting for my husband to come out and this lil boy about 4 was sitting beside me kept staring at me and then saying things to his mom and she kept telling him to be quiet when suddenly he blurted out that I looked like Shrek!! Wtf!! I was embarrassed, and so was his mom she apologized I acted like it wasn't a big deal but was hurt inside and I have actually never ever told anyone that story before because although it doesn't sound like a big deal I was affected by it!!

Well now I have been banded for 2 and a half weeks down 21 pounds and can't wait to be down 100!!

I love this thread! It's simultaneously funny, heartbreaking and really relatable. I have three things that really stand out for me.

First: my mother told me in high school "the only men who are ever going to want you are perverts and chubby-chasers".

Second: during my clinical rotation in an ICU during nursing school, I had an unhappy patient who just laid in his bed and whenever he saw me he would shout into the hallway in a sing-song voice "oh, faaaaaaatty.... Fatso...... Faaaaaaatso.... Come here, fatty!!" it was so humiliating and degrading.

Third: I was picking up my daughter from preschool during storytime. One of the kids stood up, pointed, and said "you're fat!" I responded, "yes, but it's not very nice to say that. It hurts my feelings." then he insists on telling the teacher and the other kids that I am fat, which got my daughter really upset. That was kind of my turning point. Once she reaches elementary school, I don't want her to be embarrassed by me.

I love this thread! It's simultaneously funny, heartbreaking and really relatable. I have three things that really stand out for me.

First: my mother told me in high school "the only men who are ever going to want you are perverts and chubby-chasers".

Second: during my clinical rotation in an ICU during nursing school, I had an unhappy patient who just laid in his bed and whenever he saw me he would shout into the hallway in a sing-song voice "oh, faaaaaaatty.... Fatso...... Faaaaaaatso.... Come here, fatty!!" it was so humiliating and degrading.

Third: I was picking up my daughter from preschool during storytime. One of the kids stood up, pointed, and said "you're fat!" I responded, "yes, but it's not very nice to say that. It hurts my feelings." then he insists on telling the teacher and the other kids that I am fat, which got my daughter really upset. That was kind of my turning point. Once she reaches elementary school, I don't want her to be embarrassed by me.