Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I'm with RestlessMonkey! The only vaguely rude thing ever said to me was by a child .... a 4 year old who asked if I was going to have a baby like her mother, and I just laughed at that. I've never felt discriminated against because of my weight. I've always gone and done whatever I wanted (even the beach). But I know it's out there; I've just been blessed. The one thing I can say is that at least with people who know me, they probably operated with the knowledge that if they said something mean about it, I'd give it back in spades! But even with strangers, if anybody ever said anything it was behind my back and NOT to my face.

The most hurtful thing to me is to hear my young son ask me why am I so big and as soon as an informercial comes on he tells me "mom you need to call that number". I can careless what other people say, but to hear those words from my child really bothers me. I know he loves me but just does'nt want mom to be big and wants me to be healthy.

I don't know if this is considered rude or not, but everytime I am eating with my mother, she just has to make a comment about me not eating bread. If we have hamburgers or hot dogs I will eat them without the bun. She always has to say "aren't you eating any bread?" Or if she fixes corn bread, she will say "you really need to try this bread." I just want to scream! I have had my band for over a year now, so it's not like it's something new that I don't eat bread!

I have been told many rude things, but this is the one that I just heard today. Are you sick? Is everything okay? Incredible, do I look sick, or just skinny?

Yea, I'm hearing that a lot too now. People keep saying, you don't need to lose anymore. HELLO? I still weigh 195 pounds! I DO need to lose more!

wow there are some really HORRIBLE things on here!

I've had a few but the one that sticks in my head the most happened in high school...

School dance...standing with my friends (who were all pretty and skinny, btw)...this baseball player comes up and asks me to dance. I look at my one friend because SHE liked him and she nodded 'yes' so i went and danced. About half way through the song, that same friend comes up and dances behind him and she's trying to say something. The song ends, the guy kisses me on the forehead and runs away and my friend is standing there and says (after she hit him on the back) that she was trying to get my attention to stop dancing. That jerk was dancing with me because his friends BET him that he woudn't do it, and when I looked over they were all standing there laughing...i ended up being that ridiculous girl who is crying in the bathroom at the dance...and i've never forgotten it. I still can't listen to that song....

HS kids can be so ridiculously rude...the funny thing is, he wasn't even cute! LOL

Oh also in 8th grade, my best friend and i were sitting in class looking at pics and one of the guys was looking at a pic of me from the previous year. I had lost like 20 pounds and he goes "wow she looks so much better. If she keeps losing weight, she'll be so pretty"...WTF? My face is still the same and not for nothing, i've been told ALL MY LIFE how "pretty my face is"....not that it's a compliment...why can't people just say "oh you're pretty" instead of "you have a really pretty face, if you would only lose some weight"....

However I want to add some of the BEST things i've heard...you know, some of the best compliments have come from kids (who are brutally honest)...one at the daycare I work at. It was picture day and we were about to take the class pic...Josh looks up at me and says 'Miss Barbie, you're so beautiful"...

Another was at an Nsync concert :thumbup: We were in line to get in the stadium and this little girl looks up at me and goes "you're really really pretty"...her mom goes "honey leave her alone" and apologized to me for her daughter 'bothering' me...and the little girl goes "but MOM, she IS so pretty"...so i just laughed and said "thanks..make sure you tell JC that" LOL

And my final BEST compliment: I was working in Glendale and actually feeling kinda down on myself. I was about a size 14 at the time (almost my smallest but still felt very fat)..this HOT, gorgeous, looking like a movie star guy walks in smiling and asks me for directions to the movie theatre...so i tell him (all the while telling myself in my head not to stutter! lol) with a big smile, and he starts to walk out..then he runs back in and goes "i just have to tell you, you're unbelievably beautiful"...then just smiled and walked away. I just about passed out! Wish I would have stopped him! lol

Edited by barbie1978

I think that the teenage years are the hardest when you are overweight. Teenagers have no mercy! I guess that kids are so insecure about themselves they need to find things in other people to criticize!

Wow, the rudest thing anyone has ever said to me was said by a coworker. Not my boss, but a much older lady in a position above me. She said, since we are alone, I'll tell you that I have noticed you have been gaining weight......and unfortunately people judge you based on your weight, even if your a wonderful person. It' just a lifestyle change......Dr. Phil, this, Oprah that........ending with the best..... Life is hard to go through without a mate, and if your overweight, you won't find a mate and basically will die alone. We were working by ourselves that day and I had no one to back me up or I would have faked an illness and left. It hurt me so bad that she would call me out like that. She knows I had surgery, been to many drs etc. And for her an old shriveled stop sign to say its a "lifestyle" change, was hilarous. I have a F-ing rubber band around my stomach and ive gained 20lbs. Obviously its not something I can figure out, but im not good enough the way I am. But thanks for your advice BBBBBBBBBBBB.

I agree that the teenage years are probably the hardest if you are overweight. I was lucky when I was a teenager, I didn't start putting on weight until after I got out of high school. It has been hard enough being a fat adult, I can't imagine what it must be like for teenagers.

Mermaidpuppy, I am soooo sorry you had to go through that with that terrible woman. I am just fuming at what that woman said to you. She was totally, totally out of line. You hang in there. I understand your struggles.

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I am going to name call anyway.

In high school, we had two major dances, the prom and the tea (which sophomores put on for seniors). So my senior year, I am at the tea, and this total white trash skanky sophomore (ok I know I am no better, but she did sleep with half the school and was already pregnant at the time), had the DJ play "baby got back" and dedicate it to me. Which he did.

I refused to leave or act upset, even though it tore me apart. I did however, go give the DJ a piece of my mind.

Now, according to what I hear through the grapevine, she is on welfare, has more baby daddies than I can count and is a hot mess.

I may still be fat (for now), but I have an amazing life where I travel the world, interact with celebrities, run my own charity and have men with IQs higher than their age interested in me.

So yeah, this baby has back, but I have a life she can only dream of, while her's peaked in high school. And mine will only get better as I lose weight.

Noooo, I am not a vindictive b*tch. lol

well there's been so many but the one thng that killed me was...

About 9 years ago i was at my sister nlaws 21st which was afeat in it's self!

My husband was away but i was urged to go anyway my hubby is eldest of 9 lol (7 boys 2 girls) anyway my brother inlaw who i used to like came out about half way through the night wearing a fat suit styled very much like me I WAS MORTIFIED he sat with me ect ect!

I was frozen didn't know if i should run but stayed couldn't even tell you peoples reaction as i couldn't look up.....lucky we moved overseas and i havn't been home in 7 years!

Now 7 years on i'm just off goal and have a family wedding in Jan 2010 ...actually the 21st girl!

Funny thing is i am terrified but I WILL DO IT!

Tricia

We took our famly to a Water park and at the time i was pregnant with a 10 lb baby lol road train pregnancy and was actually only about 187 lbs/85kg my hubby smaller and two men walked past and said look two beached whales!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!

Hi:

I'll never forget what someone said to me two summers ago.

I was banded in July 07. I had lost about 50 pounds at the time this happened, so I was still very fat at the time.

I was walking around my neighborhood and I saw my friends out on their patio and there was a girl there visiting that I knew worked for weight watchers. She was one of the people that signs people in, not a leader. She's a "skinny bi&&h" - size 2. I think she wore a size 10 when she started weight watchers. Anyway, when I saw her I asked her if any of her weight watcher clients have lap bands. Her reply was "No, we don't have anyone that big at weight watchers." I walked away flaberghasted (sp?).

Now when I see that same woman she looks like she's anorexic and I look like a healthy woman.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue