Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I was at a family picnic. My family up north has huge gatherings with up to 100 people attending. One person is a friend of the family who is loud in a Boss Hog kinda way. He saw me for the first time after about ten years and from across the yard hollared, "Girl, you sure ain't missed a meal!" I was mortified.

BUT... I have some *&^ on him. Years ago, when I was in high school, I hung out with a girl whose brother was friends with a guy we'll call Rick. Rick's father was this same guy I am describing above. We went to Rick's house one day to get some pot ( why lie here) and I was going into the house but saw his wife at the door. His wife was not the biological mother as they divorced and his new wife was actually the daughter of the pastor at my parent's church. I knew her WELL but at the time I was so stoned I did a quick spin around and went into the car and hid.

They all came out, Rick, my friend, her brother, and got into the car and we drove around to smoke one. I said to Rick something like "I know YOU" and relayed the story about his stepmom, her dad and the church. Rick proceeds to tell me that his parents divorced because his dad (the same guy who ten years or so later is screaming across the yard at me I sure ain't missed a meal) had come home from one of his 'fishing trips' with an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and gave it to his wife, Rick's mother. She left him and they divorced.

So standing there in my uncle's backyard I almost bit my lip till it bled trying to not say anything at all to him about what I knew.

NEXT time I go to an event and I see this guy, I will no doubt be at goal. I WILL have my voice and dare he say anything to me, I can't promise I will hold my tongue.

Should I be terribly ashamed?

I can't believe I just now noticed this thread. I guess I really need to "get out more"! HA! It is sad that people say so many hurtful things. I don't think most of them even realize what they are saying when they say it. I've been lucky that I have supportive parents and a husband who loves me no matter what. I didn't grow up fat, but I always thought I was fat. I look back at pictures of me now and wonder what I was thinking. I was a size 9/10 in high school. I guess with all the size 2 and 3's running around I just thought that's what I should be. Now, all I care about is being healthy!

I have had two incidences in the past couple of years. One was right after I started my current job about 3 1/2 years ago. I attended college here as well so I had been around here for years. We were at a social function when I noticed one of the maintenance workers that I knew but hadn't seen in a few years. Paul is a very sweet guy, but he does have some mental issues and just doesn't have any social filters. I said hello to him and he looked at me for a really long time. Then he said, "You got fat." Just like someone would say "it sure is hot". I know he didn't mean anything by it but it was in front of so many people. I just turned red and said, "yes, Paul, I sure did."

The second was from my father, whom I love and miss dearly. (He died in November of 2007.) He'd never say anything purposely to hurt someone. I had lost about 50 pounds on Nutrisystem several years ago. We were having birthday cake for someone's birthday. I was enjoying the cake and he looked at me and said, "if you keep eating cake like that you are going to gain all your weight back." Bless his heart. I know he didn't mean to be ugly, it's just how it came out.

Edited by tamboclan

I didn't grow up fat either. I was a size 7 in high school and I thought I was a blimp then! I'd kill to be that size again!!

Went for my annual gyn appt today. She congratulated me on my surgery and my weight loss and all of that. Then, we got to talking about my birth control pills, I told her I am not taking them right now as I'm not sexually active, but I wanted a script in case I need them. SO, she says, yeah, who knows, when you lose 20 more pounds you might find the love of your life. I really like this doc, but she is very petite and probably just doesn't get it, but I HATE it when people think you can't find love when you are fat. Yes, it is harder sometimes, but not impossible!

You are so right! If someone loves you, they love you for you. I am living testament of that exactly. My husband loves me for who I am on the inside. I was 246 when we got married. He's seen me even heavier than that. The lowest he had ever seen me was 197. He says my weight doesn't matter and I know that's true. Not to say he's not happy for me and supportive. He just wants me to be healthy.

Some people just don't get it!

My mother said something like that to me once too. My boyfriend had broken up with me and I was very upset. She said I would find another one when I lost some weight. That really hurt. Imagine her suprise when I met my husband. I was at my heaviest when we met, but he didn't care. He has always loved me no matter what my weight.

That also reminds me of something a doctor said once. I sprang my ankle right before my surgery. When I went to the doctor (who is not skinny at all) he said after I had my surgery and weighed 150 pounds instead of 250 pounds I wouldn't be spranging my ankle anymore.

My sister told me that her friend Sandy went to a new doctor. She was weighed and had her b/p checked, etc. When the doctor came in he looked her over and said "So, how long have you been fat?" Sandy looked the doctor over and said "So how long have you been an asshole?"

Great comeback!

Edited by Picklesix
I left out a word.

My sister told me that her friend Sandy went to a new doctor. She was weighed and had her b/p checked, etc. When the doctor came in he looked her over and said "So, how long have you been fat?" Sandy looked the doctor over and said "So how long have you been an asshole?"

Great comeback!

HA!!! I love it!! I am blessed to have a doctor who is very supportive. Obviously not everyone is!

I have one that comes to mind immediately! My younger sister said to me on New Years Eve. "You are no better than a bulimic or anorexic...you hardly ever eat anything, and if you eat too much you puke it up" I was ready to kill her. She is just jealous because I am slimmer than she is now. hmmmm.

weight.png

Ahh... jealousy. The root of many a stupid/rude remark. I had a co-worker that told me yesterday that I wasn't allowed to be around her anymore if I was going to where cream. (I had on some really cute new winter white courderoy pants and a top with a cute blue sweater.) She was joking, but it was from jealousy. I'm happy to be the example. If they want to be green with envy... so be it!

Hi Tamie fancy meeting you on this board!! lol I have just found this and my story is when I had takin my neice out to a fast food joint my phone beeped and this snot faced i guess he was about 8 or 9 year old boy started yellin real loud "get out of the way the fat lady is backin up" the whole fast food place was laughing even the people behind the counter and my neice started crying she was only 2 then. and this was only about a year ago!

Hey Devon! There are actually a couple of us from the TR board that post on here, too.

That's a horrible story. But one you'll never have to hear again! Thank you for sharing. If my child ever did something like that I'd bust her butt right in the middle of the restaurant. Sad thing is he probably learned crap like that from his parents.