Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I have another fill on 6/5, so when I go in, I will have that talk with him. I went to Denny's yesterday for mother's day and decided not to wear my bugg and just eat what I wanted. Well I couldn't even eat 1/4 of my food really. Now I'm wondering if the reason that I'm not really feeling restriction is because I've been eating low calorie food or "diet" food. I dont know what to think now.

Hi all, Great info about the fills! It was really helpful to see everyone's experiences- good and bad:) It helps to know what I'm going into, I can get so anxious about the unknown!

I finally had my first fill today!:thumbup: I was horrified when I saw the needle, but I did good. There was about 2cc's in band, and the doc added another 3. So my grand total is 5cc's in a 10cc band. He said he was aggressive, and I should feel restriction, and be VERY mindful when I am back to eating. I am on liquids for 24h, mushies for 24h, then back to the norm.

I have had a really tough time in the last few weeks not having much restriction. I have eaten too much, chose poor food choices, and have not been exercising. Luckily the scale hasn't gone up, but I knew if I continued they way I was going it would. I have definitely fallen into old habits, am frustrated with myself, and scared I am sabotaging this opportunity with my band.

My gym pass starts back up on Thursday, and I am excited for that! I bought myself some new gym shoes, pants, and shirts. My husband bought me an ipod for my efforts (as I had complained and said that having some tunes to jam to would maybe help me get motivated:)

Today is a new day and I am feeling energized and excited to be filled and have this show on the road!

I hope everyone is doing well:)

~Kerri

Let me start with: I love reading about how the band is working for all you Shamrocks!

At least it works for someone.

I have been very discouraged lately. Second guessing my decision to get the band and wondering if perhaps I should have gotten the bypass.

The scale has not moved down since April 11(not counting the times it has gone up then down, back to the 4/11 weight). I had a fill on May 2, 1 1/2cc in 4cc band. I have been working out with a trainer and doing the cardio. I have no soft stops, hard stops, BPs, anything. I "could" eat anything, but manage to eat well most of the time. Although Sunday I had a whole NY bagel for Gods sake, that is not supposed to be possible. I have been journaling foods. Not drinking with or after meals. Its like I dont have the band in at all. Except for the scars and the golfball that is sticking out of my stomach(aka the port).

I have reminded myself of why I chose the band over the bypass- recovery time, malabsorption issues, reversible.

If I had the bypass there is no way a bagel could go down!

:smile2::cursing::tongue2::cursing::unsure:

Amanda, I have 2 ccs in my 4 cc band. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit of restriction but it's gone in a matter of seconds if I slow my eating. I just ate spaghetti and I've always heard that wouldn't go down at all. I think we just have to keep patient until we get to that spot. I really do worry that I'll get my band all the way filled and still not get restriction though!

I am feeling some restriction, Had 4cc fill this past Friday. I am eating about 1/2 of what I was before the fill, that makes it difficult to get in my protein.. adding lots of Protein Drinks to reach my required amount..

Have a weekend out of town for a family wedding. No idea of what there will be to eat or what the schedule will allow. Just hoping to have a good time and not gain..

I am feeling some restriction, Had 4cc fill this past Friday. I am eating about 1/2 of what I was before the fill, that makes it difficult to get in my Protein.. adding lots of Protein drinks to reach my required amount..

Have a weekend out of town for a family wedding. No idea of what there will be to eat or what the schedule will allow. Just hoping to have a good time and not gain..

Ajoneen,

I know how discouraged you must feel, because I'm not feeling any restriction either and I don't get another fill til May 23. I also have been able to eat everything that's been put in my mouth without any problems, steak, chicken, etc. I've only had 1 fill that was 2.5 cc's in my 14 cc band and I have to use my will power in order to not overeat. I'm not giving up on my band because I know it's going to take more than 1 fill and hope you don't give up either. I also journal EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and I am beginning to have cravings for pizza but I just keep telling myself that I didn't go through the surgery just so I could continue to eat and I know that I will get there eventually, please have patience. You can do this.

Lynn and Ajoneen,

Sorry, I was quoting Ajoneen's message not yours, sorry.

Ajoneen - I'm right there with you. Only I don't regret getting the band, I'm just ready for it to work. I too can eat anything I want, and I've justified it by telling myself "when I get restriction, I won't be able to eat like this". We've talked about having conversations with ourselves before, I'm definitely having the wrong conversation.

I'm really frustrated and beating myself up, but I know it will get better.

I have another fill on the 27th and I'm hoping it will help some.

Keep your chin up and hope your next fill gives you some restriction too.

I just had my second fill on May 12, and that is when they really explained to me how the fills work for your band. The first three to four fills are for priming the band. meaning some will stay in your band and some will be in your port tube; and it will fluctuate from day to day. I was told after about the third or fourth fill you will hit your "sweet" spot. That is why you're recommended to start with your Protein first; so you know you are getting your Proteins then your veggies. I have a little over 5cc's in my APL; and I have some restriction but not a lot. So I believe I will need to definitely go in for another fill in about three weeks. They have also highly recommended you practice your routine eating, such as; eating your proteins first, the drinking rule..etc, what ever your dietitian or surgeon suggests. Because before you get to your "sweet" spot is for all your practicing; and after, when you hit your 'sweet " spot your have no more practicing time. you will need to follow your recommendations to a "T" for your band to work.

I called the Dr about a fill and was told not for 6 weeks.

I really should have looked into the fill policy of this Dr before banding. Live and learn. There are other Dr's that fill more frequently.

I hate to poop poop the band so early but I know myself and I need some more reenforcement to keep on the proper path. This thing is supposed to kick in where my will power can't. Or maybe not. Maybe I just wanted it to and read into the Lap-band information what I wanted to see.

I hope I will be one of those bandsters who at one year are counseling the newbies to hang in there because I had a slow start also.

I really appreciate the opportunity to vent in a supportive place.

THANKS

DOWN THIRTY POUNDS.............actually, down 50 from my highest weight.......

Met with the dietician today....I swear, I've been doing this for so long that I could BE the dietician......I kept waiting for that great tidbit of NEW information that will make all of this a breeze.....yeah, that ain't happenin'

Same old same old.....she did make me feel better as I've been worried about my carb intake.....but she assured me that as long as the carbs are coming from natural sources.....fruits, veggies and the like.....no worries. I stay pretty much away from refined carbs, so all is well.

I did tell her that I don't feel a bit different since my adjustment last week, so I'm scheduled for another one next week.....

Amanda.....hang in there....a lot of us are in the same boat. Seems like 90% of what I'm doing now, I'm just gutting out....I don't think I'm really feeling the full benefit of my band yet either. Do wish your doc was a little more open towards adjustments.....mine had no problem with me coming in again....of course, she's very conservative with amounts....1cc at a time in a 10cc band....so it's slow going. I certainly don't want to be too tight, though.....that sounds incredibly unpleasant.

way to go Harley

When you see the dietitian is it part of your surgeons office or a private one you see on the side?

way to go Harley

When you see the dietitian is it part of your surgeons office or a private one you see on the side?

It's all part of the clinic...they have two doctors, a dietitian, an exercise physiologist, a bariatric nurse and a shrink....everything is included for the first year, so I can see any of them as many times as I need to....so that's good.

The down side is that it's 40 miles away and through hellish construction to get to.....not a huge deal but at the price of gas, I hate to drive it too often!

Hi All--

I went to my surgeon yesterday afternoon and FINALLY got my first fill. I asked a lot of questions. He told me that he put 2cc of fill in my 10cc AP (standard) band at the time of surg. He put 2 more cc in making it 4cc. I can feel a difference but I don't know how long it will help. He listened to everything I had to say about my hunger and lack of weight loss over the last 3 weeks. I told him I could eat as much as I did before banding but didn't because I’m afraid of gaining. I also told him I'm hunger 1 hour after eating. He asked about my Protein intake and I told him the dietician told me to have 60g of Protein a day and I do that. He said that he didn't want to argue with the dietician but that he strongly disagreed. He said that he is positive that I am experiencing protein hunger. He said that at my current weight -- I should be eating closer to 90g and that even more than that would be OK. He also said that I should be eating 2 or 3 protein Snacks a day between my meals. He says I need more protein because protein helps breakdown fat. I'm moving more (a LOT more!) that I did before banding and he says my body is NOT getting enough protein or CALORIES. I've been taking in under 1000 and he says my metabolism is shutting down. He told me to find out my target heart rate for my age, weight, gender and make sure I get my heart rate up to that point 3X a week. He said that this is EXACTLY how I got overweight in the first place -----by going on low calorie diets. Everyone, he said, always loses well at first when they take in low calories but then they always stop losing because their metabolism goes down---and then they get depressed and start eating like crazy and gain even more weight. He said walking alone won't get the heart rate where it needs to be------and eating too few calories will also stop weight loss. So I bought 1 of those pulse monitors and will increase my food. I had 2 low carb Protein Bars today and increased my calories at dinner. I also asked him about carbs. He said the same thing the last 3 MDs have told me --that I can keep my carbs low.

This does make sense to me because I have been reading medical research that discussed new findings that say that protein requirement depends on body weight and that protein is needed to breakdown fat ---but I decided to go along with my nutritionist recommendations. She is going by government standards. Now I’m going to try to do this according to the surgeon and the new research I’m reading. I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how it works.

AMANDA!!! I'm so sorry this is being hard on you!

It WILL get better - eventually you'll hit restriction, and you won't just be dieting, you'll be BANDED. I know "eventually" doesn't seem good enough right now, but you're in the same boat as a lot of foks here; you have no option but to just hang in there, keep on doing what you're doing, and hassle your doctors until they get your fill right. It'll happen in the end.

In the meantime, have a look at the really interesting stuff that Bratz and Penny just posted; I think there's info there that will be really helpful for all of us. AND look at the Before and After pix to prove to yourself that the band really does work!

But you know that: it's a simple mechanical thing, eventually you'll be banded tightly enough that your body can't help but lose weight. Just keep your head in the game - keep on journaling, keep on exercising, keep on weighing in, and keep on venting! We all know you can make this work!