Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

:cry_smile:

ONE POUND DOWN

For the record - Rugman is right. How much Protein your body needs depends on how much you weigh and how tall you are. I need 79 grams. I'm not a big meat eater - when I eat (or drink) more protein my weight loss is so much faster than when I'm getting little or no protein. Go to http://www.unjury.com/reg/calculator.shtml to calculate how much protein you need day. After you do that, try getting that amount for one week - I'm sure you'll see a change. Now if I could only take my own advice consistently...

Well, today I clearly needed a refresher course in Lap-Band basics, and I got it courtesy of my doc's PA (who handles our fills). Here's what happened... N.B. I'm writing this mostly for my own benefit so I can refer back to it, but if it helps anyone else along the way, great! :eek:

Ever since returning to real food after my last fill over 2 weeks ago, I've been having not quite daily (and mostly minor) PB issues. At first, I thought I was eating too fast or forgetting to chew enough, but then I really paid attention to those things. Then I thought stress? Overfill? NAH, it can't be an overfill -- I'm way too hungry and when I don't PB, I can eat way too much. Finally, last night, I had some really violent retching and a complete return of my delicious soft-shell crab dinner. This was no mere PB -- my esophagus still hurts today! :lol:

So, I went in -- I was originally scheduled for a fill today, but by now I was thinking UNfill! They did a barium swallow to determine if I was either overfilled or had my lower stomach slip up through the band from the incident. Fortunately, neither was a problem. Phew. We then reviewed how I've been eating, and found that I had forgotten two really basic things:

1) The size of the bite that I put in my mouth should be no bigger than the clear part of the nail on my pinky finger! Using a tiny fork wasn't doing the trick. I completely forgot myself on this one. :biggrin: I should look at my fingernail often while focusing on eating. No matter how much chewing you do, if it's too much at once, it may cause problems.

2) If you do have a PB, there is always going to be some associated swelling, and the maximum swelling doesn't occur until 24-48 hours after the incident. THIS IS WHY I NEED TO DO liquids FOR 48 HRS AFTERWARD!!! :frown: (Yes, I'm yelling at myself now!) Instead, I was having a shake or two for the next 12 hours, but the next day I just merrily went back to food, forgetting the repercussions of the day before. This is why every day or two, I further exacerbated the problem with another PB. The swelling became cumulative till yesterday's disaster. In addition to 48 hours of liquids, this should be followed by 48 hours of soft foods, working your way back to solid, hard Proteins slowly.

Had I not been experiencing these problems, he would've given me a fill today. So, I'm hoping I've learned my lessons well and do not ever want to repeat this cycle. I hope no one else is going through this either.

On the plus side, I lost 4 more pounds since my last visit! :eek:

AH!!! There you are Fenton!! I was beginning to worry about you! You're ordeal sounds terrible and I'm very glad you are OK. Thanks for the warning about bites. I'm guilty of that myself and will try to learn from your difficult experience.

(I was wondering if you were put in the hoosegow for losing your pants on 5th Ave because you hadn't had time to put that extra notch in your belt!!!! HHOK!!!!)

The 2 day liquid and 2 day mushy after a serious pb is the same regimen i have to follow after a fill.

Thanks for remining me, a bite size is so important. I have been taking bigger bites than I should and experience a little "pressure" when eating. Tonight I had 2 chicken tenders and was totally stuffed.. guess my fill is actually helping..

OK, although I am still planning on speaking to my doctor about these issues, everyone seems to have answered most of my concerns/questions. Diva, love the Protein website, found I have been getting 69% of the protein I need daily and will increase that starting today. This might be one reason I have stalled on weight loss. Like Rugman, I also have been keeping my calorie/fat intake low and realize, like my father used to say, "I have to feed the furnance". (Yes, I'm from KY) I wonder if there is a site that calculates the specific calorie need for individual loss?

If you google calorie calculator, there are a gojillion of them on the internet.....most of them set me a lot higher than I would be comfortable with, though......1600 a day....I'd never lose at that point.

:w00t:

ONE POUND DOWN

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Not just GONE, but GONE FOREVER!!!!

Yay, Amanda!

Every pound is one more step in the right direction!

I hope that's the beginning of an AVALANCHE of weight loss...

Yeah, Penny, I'm still here. People are telling me to get new clothes because these look too big on me, but what can I say? I'm a guy.

Went to the Drs today I lost 51/2 lbs . I felt that I should have lost more but I haven't been as careful with my food or taking care of myself since my brother-in-laws car accident . Anyway he's out of ICU and now is in the Orthpedic Trauma Unit . He had 3 surgeries and has 1 more to go . The bleed on his brain as stopped , chest tube is out and they had him sitting in a chair . I don't know how they did that because his left hip was broken and is what he had 2 of his surgeries on and his right knee, ankle and foot are still broken and surgery on them is Monday.

Went to the Drs today I lost 51/2 lbs . I felt that I should have lost more but I haven't been as careful with my food or taking care of myself since my brother-in-laws car accident . Anyway he's out of ICU and now is in the Orthpedic Trauma Unit . He had 3 surgeries and has 1 more to go . The bleed on his brain as stopped , chest tube is out and they had him sitting in a chair . I don't know how they did that because his left hip was broken and is what he had 2 of his surgeries on and his right knee, ankle and foot are still broken and surgery on them is Monday.

my goodness cathy that is a fabulous weight loss!!! I've been at a standstill with no weight loss in the last two weeks. Got another fill today now I'm up to 5 cc in my 10 cc band. I'm glad I have an aggressive doctor who feels you need to come back every two weeks until you've attained your "spot". Congratulations!!! Your doing great. I'm glad to hear your BIL is out of ICU. He is on his way to recovery. I used to be an old ED nurse and worked on the trauma unit. They can do fabulous rehab these days. Hang in there...you are in my thoughts. We always want more success than we have...forgetting to appreciate what we've done....You are wonderful...every ounce makes a difference think of where you were this time last year!!

sharon:)

look on TheDailyPlate. you can jopurnal your food intake and calculate calories to take oin to lose what ever amount you want weekly and if will give you total calories. and as you ose yu re enter new weight and can gt it recalculated..

it does seem rediculous to take in 1600 calories and still expect to lose. I keep myself around 900 per dy and keep up with my walking. so far i have averaged 2# per week.. Would love that to continue

Hey, mscathy - it sounds like it's been a rough ride, but he's going in the right direction. As are you! He needs time and patience, as do we all.

Congratulations on the sustained weight loss, Lynn! I'm sure you're the envy of all...

Banded 3/4/08...Dr. Murr Tampa General Hospital...down 47 lbs and had my first fill this past Thursday...6cc's...don't feel the restriction I had when first banded...will wait 2 weeks and go back for more if things don't change...Good luck March Bandsters!