Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hello, I need your encouragement.:redface: I started this journey in May 2008. I am 55 and live in NH. I am scheduled for the LapBand on Wednesday the 8th. Thank God for all you wonderful posts. They have answered so many my questions. I am not nervous about the operation but after. I want this to work so bad. Please think of me on Wednesday and I will post as soon as I am able to.

Nani Rose - You will be fine. I had the same worries - not so much about the surgery as after. My journey took me from January 25 until August 25, the day I was banded. I am not sorry I took that journey and I am still learning every day but I have fought this monkey for such a long time that now I have something to help me every day and it was so worth it. All of us will be thinking of you tomorrow - as soon as you can let us know how you are doing.

Ah, thanks so much for the encouraging words regarding my mom's visit tomorrow. DH will probably deflect some of it. And who knows I might be pleasantly surprised and she won't be. She has been negative my entire life. I fight hard not to be like that. Sometimes I see tendencies and it scares the crap out of me. I feel awesome about the changes I have made, my kids, my husband and even my sisters have been very supportive so they will all be in my corner.

Yvonne, welcome. sorry you got laid off but sounds like you are putting the time to good use!

L2B,

Now I can't wait to hear how it went with your Mom!! I think she'll be flabbergasted when she see's you! :-)

L2B,

Now I can't wait to hear how it went with your Mom!! I think she'll be flabbergasted when she see's you! :-)

Yep!

We'll all be waiting for a report on how it went!!

I will be leaving early in the morning for my trip to st. louis. my appt. with the dr. isn't until 1:30 but i want to have lunch with my sister.

i'm starting to get excited.

i have a friend that lives close to me that is seeing her regular dr. tomorrow to get her released for surgery. she was ready to see the bariatric dr. but after he read her report he wanted her to have a test done on her lungs. i'm sure she won't be far behind me for surgery.

she wants to lose weight so she can do things with her little grandson.

she said she gets so out of breath.

i told her she needs to get on the site.

long2bthin

some people just don't understand about the lap band and what a great thing it can be. you have done great!!!! i'm sure your parents will be shocked when they see how much you have lost. i just know they are going to be so proud of you.

would love to see their faces when they first see you.

everything will turn out okay.

let us know how everything goes.

Why tell them? My mom still doesn't know and she lives nearby. Neither do any of my friends. I've been banded a year and a half and no one knows but my husband and kids--I like it that way! No explaining. No one "watching." No one wondering why I'm not losing more or if I should be eating this or that or if I'm ready to PB or whatever. My Mom would we one to be saying, "are you sure it's okay if you eat that?" or "I talked to so and so and they said...", etc. I'm happy in my own little band world. When people ask how I've lost weight I honestly say, "Several factors but eating less and exercising more has been key." Just a thought!

I am with you on this one. Hardly anyone knows I am banded. I didn't want to listen to anyone's comments either. The band has been helpful, but it's not what keeps me from eating candy and ice cream. I am the one who forces myself to the gym every day. When people ask me, I tell them I eat less and exercise every day.

I am with you on this one. Hardly anyone knows I am banded. I didn't want to listen to anyone's comments either. The band has been helpful, but it's not what keeps me from eating candy and ice cream. I am the one who forces myself to the gym every day. When people ask me, I tell them I eat less and exercise every day.

I agree Denise - I tell pple the same thing - but I have told them I am banded - I have a freind who went to mex to get banded - she only had like 30 lbs to lose - but I think she "thought" it was easy after watching me lose weight - but now she "Knows" its not cuz she has only lost like 10 or 15 lbs - But they like to drink :tt1:

This is another reason I say that 75% of the work has been up to me and my band has helped 25% of the time... It doesn't make your food choices or exercise for you..

I had my dietitian visit yesterday (first of 3)

With 2 more appointments to fulfill - I think I'll be approved on the first round.

We briefly discussed the Weight Management program from my BC/BS HMO that I was on along in conjunction with their diabetes management program and she said it's quite possible that those programs will fulfill the recent diet history requirement.

I was having a particularly bad/good day with my knees and limped in to her office and sat down very very gingerly (the WORST episode I've ever had with hemorrhoids ).

Endoscopy tomorrow, required pre-op support meeting, stress test and echo next week.

Hopefully at the support mtg I'll may be able to get a word or two from the PA.

When the dietitian handed me the 2-week pre-op diet I got a reality awareness -

"This is really going to happen!"

(PS - does anyone have any feedback on Miralax? ?) :tt1:

sat down very very gingerly (the WORST episode I've ever had with hemorrhoids ).

(PS - does anyone have any feedback on Miralax??) :tt1:

I ordered that expensive stuff that is supposed to clean out your colon you take daily and it is addictive. I went to a doctor for the problem eventually and he read the ingrediants and put me on a powder to make me go without help from pills or OTC meds. And something stronger to keep from getting hemorrhoids. You may need some help. Its worth paying for. I dont have insurance so whenever I go to the doctor its needed. Now I have a rash that has kept me from walking outside the last month and slowing my weight loss. Finally saw a doctor for it Monday, hope he can help.

btw has anyone gone thru what I do? Last time I went on a diet, I was down 50 - 60 lbs before anyone noticed. OK I know I carry the weight all in my stomach, so maybe its not as noticeable as when others lose weight. I think the only reason folks noticed was I fially went from a size XXL tee shirt to a XL tee shirt and was wearing different shirts than my usual ones.

OK so I lost 8 or 9 lbs fast pre surgery and another 34 probably. Getting close to the same point. Down over 40 lbs total and so far not one person has said to me have I lost a little weight?? Maybe because it hasnt been so long since I got down below 155 lbs and put it all back on and then some when my Dad had one problem after another and things feel on me. I turned to comfort food and I gain extra fast because Im insulin resistant.

.... you would think someone would be noticing Iv lost some weight soon though? I could wear the XL size again, except the rash is under my breasts and cant put on a bra without rubbing the rash. I went on a cruise and the rash went crazy in the heat and humidity and I went over the top in stress. I was on the Conquest that left Sunday out of Galveston and Ike hit early Sat morning. No one had any idea when we left that Ike would for sure even go into the gulf, much less hit Galveston. I freaked most of the last 3 days of the cruise and my skin went nuts. Im still dealing with Allstate, its been like pulling teeth, but finally got a offer yesterday, still need to send power of attorney for title in glove box. They finally towed me and checked me in only last Friday. Yes, its taken them that long. I had to find receipts to prove I have low mileage on my car Monday. I was freaking thinking I was going to lose about $5K on my car, I had bought it new.

Im ready for a compliment from someone ... anyone? Since I wear oversized clothes to cover my large belly, I guess its not so obvious as it is with others who are losing sizes already. Last time I lost weight I got all flabby and saggy and still looked awful at 150s and got discouraged. Im not liking this part of getting old. OK sorry for my troubles venting. Been a tough few weeks.

This thought has crossed my mind. At first I had told no one about my surgery but eventually told a few and word is out. I told my sisters as one could really benefit from the surgery and was asking lots of questions. So I am afraid if I don't tell and she does (though I've asked her not to) that that will make the situation worse. I guess I am a big girl now and mommy can take it or leave it. :) If I haven't gotten her approval after 50 yrs I ain't never gonna get it!

btw has anyone gone thru what I do? Last time I went on a diet, I was down 50 - 60 lbs before anyone noticed. OK I know I carry the weight all in my stomach, so maybe its not as noticeable as when others lose weight. I think the only reason folks noticed was I fially went from a size XXL tee shirt to a XL tee shirt and was wearing different shirts than my usual ones.

.... you would think someone would be noticing Iv lost some weight soon though? quote]

Yep been there. I have lost 71 as of this morning and it took until about 50 for anyone to notice. And still then it wasn't much. Now I've hit a point where everyone notices, even people I would never expect to comment or notice. It will come. I've heard it said that the more overweight you are the more you have to lose to become noticeable. I also noticed I had to lose more weight to make a difference size wise in clothes than I do now. On the flip side, no one noticed me gaining 10 to 20 either. I was always told 'I carry my weight well'. DUH!! how does anyone carry 100 extra pounds well? Not me that's why I have such bad knees now. :tt1:

Well it's T minus an hour and a half til my parent's plane arrives. I leave for the airport in an hour. When I can get to the computer I'll let you know how it went!

Flowers: You have really had a bad month. But don't give up. You are not alone, referring to noone noticing the weight loss. I also have lost 45 lbs, since my banding in May. It was just yesterday that someone asked me if I had lost some weight. It does get discouraging, but I'm not going to give up. I myself am just now really noticing the difference. I actually have a waist, and a cave in on each side of the belly (lol). I still have a long way to go, but I keep telling myself that I didn't put this weight on over night, so I know it's not going to go away that quick. So, just hang in there, and you will reep your rewards. Hoping this next month will bring you smiles and no more hurricanes.

Linda

Flowers,

I am the same as you . Not only do I carry it all in my torso, I am also very big busted (42F) AND have a big butt. So I gain weight like a man, from front to back not wide. I tend to look at myself in the mirror straight on cause as soon as I turn to my side, I look worse.... I also just got into XL t-shirts but no one seems to see the loss of 39 lbs. I will probably need to lose 60 before anyone notices. Thats ok though, cause I know I will get there!!! Hang in there, I am...

NSV - went shopping last night for some cool weather clothes..Heading up NORTH, Rochester, NY for the weekend..

I amazed myself. I was able to buy a size "M" for my sweat pants...:D I can't remember the last time I could say that..

and a size "L" for my tops..

I have lots of trouble with my midsection and getting things to fit..too much excess skin. but thiis shopping trip was a big ego lift for me!!

It must have been too easy for me to get the lap band because I have not been doing my part. I finally started a disciplined exercise routine at Curves last week. I think I need to go back to the Adkins ketosis diet to jump start my efforts.

You all are so encouraging and motivating!