Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Yep, I am a stripper and a hooker(if you count a crochet hook). Now, I wonder how we got so fat stripping and hooking? Duh! It requires alot of sitting.

I had to read the posts today to get me back on track. I went to the bakery to buy my mother a 85th b-day cake for tomorrow. I was weak and bought a white almond cupcake and just ate it. I feel like crap now. I should have read the posts first before I went to the bakery. I just hope I don't go up in lbs.:crying: Okay, now that I have confessed my sins.....I can move on. :smile2:

Charlene

you ate one cup cake not 2 -3 or 5 - how many would you have eaten last year... That one cupcake isn't going to cause you to gain 1 lbs - in fact it may help a boost your metabolizam... But tomorrow be wary since you will be faced with the challenge when you help your Mom Celebrate her bday of not eating more cake...

It's not that one piece of cake that got us fat - it's cuz we ate the whole damn thing.....

I had to have all of those tests done before banding except Doppler of legs and carotid arteries. I was told I didn't have to do that because I didn't have a history of blood clots and I wasn't over 50BMI but they do it if either of those 2 conditions are present. I had my band done at a teaching hospital and they may have required a few more than my ins co. Actually, I look at it this way --- how often do we get the opportunity to have that thorough of a medical check-up? I have had so much testing in the last few years (either because of medical problems from being overweight or in order to get the band) that I feel confident that I'm in good health. At my age -- it's a good feeling (peace of mind) to know that I seem to be in good health.

For the first time in my life - I'm going to PT. I just can't believe how much it helps! I really think I'm going to be able to start strengths training in about 3 to 4 weeks. I'm excited about that because I think it will help a lot with losing more quickly. I complain a lot about losing so slowly but I must say that this band is making my dreams come true. My life is just so much better already and I'm so grateful to have another chance at life.

I did the treadmil only or should say for the most part for the 1st 8 months then in March I got a trainer and now do weights twice a week - I have mucles now I can do a push up for the 1st time in my life - in fact my trainer told me last week that if I didn't quit losing weight he was going to have to do an intervention :smile2: - I am not losing weight (well I flucate between 142 - 145) - it's that my body is shaping up due to the muscles -

Lori - LBT revamped the look of the site - we use to have a thread called "hows weigth loss for 50+" When they revamped the site they added the age group thread 20 30 40 etc - So I started this thread for all of us who posted in that thread could fine this one -

I think our original thread is still there - Yep I just checked http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f120/how-weight-loss-people-over-50-a-21117/index44.html But it's lock - you can still read it though - this is where I got all my pre-op - post op - band is only a tool knowledge :crying:

Since I never go to forum and then 50 to get hear (I just go to user cp and my subscirpted threads are there) I miss all the post under our main thread...

Charlene

you ate one cup cake not 2 -3 or 5 - how many would you have eaten last year... That one cupcake isn't going to cause you to gain 1 lbs - in fact it may help a boost your metabolizam... But tomorrow be wary since you will be faced with the challenge when you help your Mom Celebrate her bday of not eating more cake...

It's not that one piece of cake that got us fat - it's cuz we ate the whole damn thing.....

AMEN, SISTER! I bought a cake for 15-18 people and there will be 15 of us. Really, I think I am going to go back to Protein Shakes and hard Protein for a few days starting on Monday. Get the desire for carbs out of my system. Thanks for the pep talk.

PRE op testing - I had all but the doppler and PT eval done. I am also glad to have such a thoriugh medical work up. When I started the journey for the surgery I had not made up my mind to actually get it done, but knew the complete medical testing would be a benefit. My decision to actually have the surgery came right before my last pre op appointment. And I can say I am the happiest person that I made the decision.

My lapband pal and I are both at a stand still with weight loss. I am 6+ months and she is 5+ months post op. We have vowed to inspire and keep each other on track.. walking regularly and calling each other when we have a lapse of motivation. We usually talk a few times a day anyway. so we have just made a new committment to keep up our current success and continue to succeed. Having a close advocate to the weight loss journey has been a really big help to me. Between her and this thread I know I will get back to the loss column and continue to exercise..as well as my PT for a knee injury..

OMG!!! I can not believe it!!! Another 3.8 lbs GONE!!!! Total now of 65.6 lbs!!! Gooooooooo Looosssiiieee!!!!!!

Fran

xo

I'm sorta glad I'm having all of these tests also.

I started this Quest with 99.9% assurance that I want/need LBS.

The consult shook me up a tad -

First the PA's concern about my unmedicated Diabetes and undocumented weight loss attempts.

Jeesh (sez I) -

Do I really need this?

Maybe I'm not so unhealthy as I thought

And

the list of tests and evaluations felt daunting, excessive and even invasive.

and

yay/nay - I lost a few pounds with the initial excitement and possibility of a better self-image

Yet - I pursued the tests and appointments with slightly wavering motivation.

The PT advisor educated me about the trickiness of diet and exercise

(maybe I can do this on my own?!?)

The looks and attitudes of many technicians, lab and office people and even the constant line of people taking my BP and forms exhibited surprise that I would even NEED this surgery.

I appear a lot less heavy than my 220lbs because I have a rather athletic build and most of my excess weight is around my waist.

But now that I've seen the cardiologist and pulmonologist - I see that my health at risk - HIGH risk.

BP's rising (even factoring in stress, coffee, etc.) and also my AM glucose readings.

I now know I can't take the chance of trying lose weight on my own.

I don't think I have that much time.

I need "the enforcer" (that's what I call the LB)

SO -

all and all - I feel this almost-endless testing has helped tremendously.

It's another wake-up call for me to be more pro-active about my health and life.

Hi Spay.... Congratulations and Welcome. Be patient.. just remember you are intaking liquids, no solids. This too shall pass. The Gas-X does help a lot..

a great invention... I give koodos to the inventer. Best of luck to you Spay. I'm only 2 weeks out, so just be patient, as I said before. Lots of things going on right now.. give yourself time to catch up... Hugs

We are about the same age. I am 63. The bandage that is over the port, do I just leave that on until my six-week followup visit with the doctor?

hey

i talked to the dr. office awhile ago. i thave to see him wednedsay for my pre-op visit. i asked if i could go ahead and have all my tests and the visit with the dietician while i was up in st. louis. the lady said to just tell the dr. to call them when i see him and if it is alright with him then i can do the other stuff on one of the other days . she didn't see a problem with it. that would save me a over 300 miles of driving.

when you are at the dr. appt does he tell you then when your surgrery will be done?

:) i'm so excited. i just hope i do as well as you guys are doing.

that will fall off with time, like any other tape. I was told not to pull it off, I did though at about 2 weeks post op. It was itchy and catching on my clothes!

hey

i talked to the dr. office awhile ago. i thave to see him wednedsay for my pre-op visit. i asked if i could go ahead and have all my tests and the visit with the dietician while i was up in st. louis. the lady said to just tell the dr. to call them when i see him and if it is alright with him then i can do the other stuff on one of the other days . she didn't see a problem with it. that would save me a over 300 miles of driving.

when you are at the dr. appt does he tell you then when your surgrery will be done?

:) i'm so excited. i just hope i do as well as you guys are doing.

You will do fine.....the key is following the dr's orders. Today, I did not chew chicken well enough and wow, it got stuck. It hurts!....so just chew , chew, chew!

Every doctor is different on their scheduling. I did not get a date until six weeks after I finished all my paper work. When I went for my pre-op diet, I had surgery two weeks later.. are you private pay or insurance? It makes a difference.