Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I am so ready for surgery and June 6 is actually my second date.:thumbup: I was originally scheduled for May 14 (I would be banded by now) I was rescheduled so I can have the new Realize band and Dr Jamie Ponce (a lap band pioneer surgeon) is flying :plane:in to do the surgery with my doctor, Dr. Kramer.

Anyway, last Thursday I went to have allergy shots and mentioned to the nurse that I was swelling. :thumbup: My blood pressure was 162/90. I have never had blood pressure problems. It stays around 120/80. I haven

t added new medications and no new stress. :thumbup:

I went to my PCP today and she did more test, she says I may have congestive heart failure :scared:and will have to postpone my lap band! They did x-rays and a PNP blood test, I will know more on Wednesday. If the tests come back good, I am ok and can have surgery. Please! :pray2:Pray they come back good! :thumbup: For now I am going to stay positive! :thumbup: and believe it is just a little bump in the road!

Cathy--I am looking at your picture and visualizing you surrounded by a flow of positive energy and health. Yes, a bump in the road, indeed. Meanwhile, relax, deep breaths, and smile thinking of all the good thoughts being sent your way by people who care.

Judy

Cathy

Prayers & Hugs are coming your way.... Wouldn't the surgery be beneficial if you had chf - with the weight gone your heart wouldn't have to work so hard. My Dad had it - so I know a little bit about it..

Again - hugs and prayer.

xooxoxo

Janet

Cahty, I will hold you in my prayers too while you wait for your surgery date. JB gave you great advise about relaxing and deep breathing. Light a candle and find a quiet place for prayer meditaion and deep breathing it will help your blood pressure too. Your doctors just want to make sure you are in a safe place for surgery. Do you have asthma as well as allergies? Give yourself some time to improve and then I am sure it will be a go for surgery. It is disappointing though when you have your heart set on it. This is a good time to keep your faith, friends, family and your buddies at LBTclose. Best wishes, Becky

THANKS! Judy, Janet, and Becky You all are so sweet! :) I feel sure I will be ok. I just don't want to delay my surgery, :glare:and I don't want to give up my spot for Dr. Ponce to be doing my band! I feel great today and the swelling is going away.

You are so right Janet, :thumbup:the band will help me if I do have CHF. Weight loss will help all my ailments.

Becky, I do have asthma :woot: along with allergies. I have several food allergies and I think there is a possibility that I may have eaten something to cause the swelling:blush:. I mentioned this to my PPC, but she wanted to check this out to be safe since I am having surgery and some of the symptoms were not normal for food reactions. I am slowly beginning to loose the Fluid and able to move around a bit better.

Thanks again for your prayers :wink:and encouragement! You are all such a blessing! I will keep you informed and there is a special prayer going up for a special blessing on all of you!:D

I am being banded this Tues ~YEA!!!!~ All ready to go, but what is

"sliming"?? It is throwing up mucus?? Please prepare me, LOL :woot: ChristyC

I am being banded this Tues ~YEA!!!!~ All ready to go, but what is

"sliming"?? It is throwing up mucus?? Please prepare me, LOL :woot: ChristyC

Yes, slimming is extra saliva that will be produced when your have something "stuck" it can be Water, coffee or applesauce or meat... just depends on how tightly you are restricted.

PB'ing is short for "productive burp" this is throwing up the food that is eaten too fast, or too much volume and it gets stuck... you'll know when you have to do it as the pain in your chest is aweful... like an elephant just stepped on your sternum... or like you swallowed a golf ball and it won't go down...

Don't be worried though, you will just have to go through some 'trial and error' until you find what works for you...

Somedays I can eat oatmeal for breaky ( my favorite since banding) and perhaps one day a week. .... forget it!!! I have to wait an hour and then try something different , like a protien bar....

then usually lunch and supper are o.k.

but who knows each day is a little surprise... today I pb'd on applesauce!!! It was to be my mid afternoon snack... go figure. Hubby ate it instead of me...

Hey CathyChatts...usually a cardiologist checks out CHF, if they tell you that get an opinion from one. It usually involves lower salt intake and taking some Water pills from what I know (a mere mortal). Will pray for you, ChristyC

Hi everyone. I am a 53 year old woman, and am scheduled for a lap-band on July 24. I am married with a grown daughter. My husband is retired, but I am still working as an educator.

I can't wait! I am so excited to begin a new life which is not focused on food. Any words of wisdom?

Just follow your doctor's protocol for the preop diet. I think it really helps to prepare yourself by starting the liquid Protein Shakes prior to surgery. Find some that taste good and provide at least 20 gms of Protein. There are also non flavored Proteins such as Beneprotein that you can add to other fluids to boost your protein intake. Stock up on sugar free popsicles, sorbet, boths, and sf Jello. These will be things you can have after surgery. There are some good books on Lap band through Amazon.com. The more prepared and educated the better off you will be. Also connecting with others who have been through the process is extremely helpful. I am 6 days post op and doing very well. Walking and moving about after surgery is helpful to prevent gas pains. It is a little difficult at first getting up out of chairs and the bed, but just use your thigh and arm muscles at first and a pillow to splint your abdomen for coughing. Take your pain meds as needed because it helps you get moving easier. I am looking forward to starting soft foods this week like cottage cheese and maltomeal...yippee. I am so glad that I had the surgery and know that this will be a tool to help me the rest of my life with Portion Control. Best wishes to you on your journey....enjoy the process! Becky

Thanks, Becky, for all the 411.....I did not know there were books on lap band. I will check out Amazon. I bookmarked all websites given by Indiogirl. I still do not have a surgery date. I finished all the prerequisites three weeks ago....all in good time. The process takes longer than I anticipated. One thing I haven't seen talked about is Constipation. The doctor said I could still take Miralax. I wonder if anyone has had a problem taking it. If it gets stuck????? Do you know?

I've just started taking Miralax with no problem. I disolve the powder in a drink and I don't even notice I'm taking anything.

My only advice to you, besides what everyone else has said, is follow the lapband guidelines. Stick to those and you'll do fine. Protein first, then good carbs and plenty of no calorie liquids. Good Luck, I hope you enjoy your band as much as I do.

Thanks!.....I needed to know about the Miralax. In the past, I had several bouts of diverticulitis, so those kind of things concern me. I know the lap band will be the start of a new healthy life. I only wish I had done it years ago.

Hi everyone, I am considering having the lap band done. Does any one regret that they had not done the gastric bypass instead? I know that the weight loss is faster with the gastric.

I don't regret it at all and I couldn't be any happier with my weight loss. It's been faster than I ever imagined. I'm so thankful that I chose the band over the bypass.