Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hello all,

At my seminar, the surgeon said we should all buy saucers and baby utensils. This is so we become accustomed to eating this way as that is how it will be after surgery. Is he for real? Do you have to take bites that small? He has a dry humor so I really did not know. :confused2: If you are taking bites this small and chewing and chewing, will not all know when you eat at a restaurant? :leaving: Should I just get over myself!

He may have been joking but I have been using little tiny spoons and small custard bowls just because it is another tool for me to learn to eat slower with smaller bites. I would not do that outside my home but it works for me at home.

Two people that have been a total inspiration to me are Janet, aka Indigo Girl and Phil, aka Phyllser. There are certainly others that have been on their journey and are inspirational too but these two ladies really stick out in my mind as someone that I can rely on to answer honestly if I have a question.

You are so sweet! Thanks!

It's one of those "PAY IT FORWARD" things!

I got so much support, encouragement and the majority of my education regarding the LapBand from folks on this site!! We have to keep it going!

I have had enough fills now that I can not eat very much and its great except for one thing. I keep forgetting that I can not hold much food and unless I get a small plate, I tend to put too much food on my plate and can not eat it.

I still do that sometimes, too!! Will we ever learn??

I have been guilty of eating more than i should and then PBing. yuck. You live and you hopefully learn by your mistakes.. ha ha.. Hang in there all you newbies, you are all gonna make it big time. Take care everyone. Brenda, aka Southerngal

At my seminar, the surgeon said we should all buy saucers and baby utensils. This is so we become accustomed to eating this way as that is how it will be after surgery. Is he for real? Do you have to take bites that small? He has a dry humor so I really did not know. :confused2: If you are taking bites this small and chewing and chewing, will not all know when you eat at a restaurant? :leaving: Should I just get over myself!

No, he's not joking! It's a very good idea! I did that... bought a small saucer, small bowl, demitasse spoon and small fork. (And a BIG Water bottle!) I don't actually use the little spoon and fork anymore, but it was good at first to retrain myself how to eat... small bites, small portions, eat slow. And even though don't use the little tiny fork now, I prefer a small salad fork.

As for eating out, I wouldn't worry about what other people think, # 1, but, you probably can leave the baby spoon & fork at home when you go out to eat! :sneaky::biggrin::sad:

Hope all of you have been doing well in your trek to achieve your goal weights. I have not posted for awhile and thought I would give an update on my progress. I was banded on January 31, 2008 and just had my first fill on May 7th. To date I have lost 55 lbs and several clothes sizes. It is a good thing that I kept all of my clothes from the 70s. I have a feeling I will be needing them. lol:thumbup:

Hope all of you have been doing well in your trek to achieve your goal weights. I have not posted for awhile and thought I would give an update on my progress. I was banded on January 31, 2008 and just had my first fill on May 7th. To date I have lost 55 lbs and several clothes sizes. It is a good thing that I kept all of my clothes from the 70s. I have a feeling I will be needing them. lol:thumbup:

Congrats on the weight loss,,and you have clothes that will fit soon from the seventies ! You will really be instyle. :tt2: I tell my granddaughters all the time if I had kept my old clothes they could wear them now because I wore the same things they do when I was in school. Don't think they really beleive me but it is true. :wink_smile:

I have been dragging clothes out from the back of my closet. Some have tags on them from last time i attempted to lose weight, now they are to big. thank goodness for a clothes swap with my support group. Shoes too, i am walking out of my shoes.. great feeling overall. :thumbs_up:

My daughter was even laughing the other day about clothes styles. she is 28 and has her clothes from college. and says she is pulling them out and right in style..animal prints, one bare shoulder. she is a nurse and in scrubs most of the time, so now her clothes closet is in fashion and her budget "safe"..

I had a rough weekend. went out of town to a wedding.. overate... and paid for it. my daughter saw the look of dispair on my face a few times....knew i had eaten too fast and too much. it did pass without getting sick, but i felt miserable!! :confused_smile: Today back to liquids while traveling and back to my walking when i get home. It was a great weekend and i enjoyed myself immensely, except for my food issues.. but taking it as a lesson learned and hope the 2 day boost in calories gives my system a boost for weight loss..

Congrats to all the newly banded and can't wait to here about your surgery journey..:biggrin2:

Hi All, Well I'm back from my 4 day weekend to Branson, I loved every minute of it. I have to admit though, that I did not follow my food plan everyday, but I did try to make healthy choices most days. I did splurge though and we ate out everyday and I also ate more than what I've been eating and found out that I really do have some restriction even though I didn't think I had much. Anyway, I still came away for the week losing 1.8 lbs this week, better than last weeks .6 of a lb. Anyway, i was scheduled for a fill this Friday, but we have to go back to Branson over the weekend to pickup our RV from the repair shop so I rescheduled my fill for today @ 3:30. This will be my 2nd fill, so hopefully, this one will be uneventful since I now know what to expect. I'm looking forward to more restriction.

I'm not regretting my decision for the lapband at all, I wish that I had done it sooner.

Hi everyone, I am considering having the lap band done. Does any one regret that they had not done the gastric bypass instead? I know that the weight loss is faster with the gastric.

NaniRose - I love my band - and you can lose weight fast with the band too - if you eat healthy and exercise - My doc says that I have lost the weight like a gbp person. It's all about how you work it.. I too didn't want the malabsorbstion problems dump etc - I was an over eater - mostly regular foods - not fast foods or sweets and I was a total slug bug. The band was/is a perfect fit for me as what I needed help with is the portions.

Two people that have been a total inspiration to me are Janet, aka Indigo Girl and Phil, aka Phyllser. There are certainly others that have been on their journey and are inspirational too but these two ladies really stick out in my mind as someone that I can rely on to answer honestly if I have a question. Brenda, aka Southerngal

Brenda - You are too kind - Thanks !!!! I have been told recently that I was to harsh, preachy and condensending... :tongue:

Hi Brenda, I feel the same way about Janet and Phil they have both been an inspiration and support for me especially as I awaited my surgery date. Their honesty and advise was such a comfort. Best wishes to you on your great accomplishments. It is people like you that will keep me going as I try out my new wings. thanks, Becky

Becky - You too - what a sweet thing to say... You guys just have to pay it forward...

Hello all,

At my seminar, the surgeon said we should all buy saucers and baby utensils. This is so we become accustomed to eating this way as that is how it will be after surgery. Is he for real? Do you have to take bites that small? He has a dry humor so I really did not know. :confused2: If you are taking bites this small and chewing and chewing, will not all know when you eat at a restaurant? :thumbup: Should I just get over myself!

Bev - Yep I eat off a sandwich plate - I use condiment silverware or my granddaughters baby silverware - tiny bites - the size of a pencil eraser - chew the crap out of it - and eat slowly - If you take big bites and try to eat fast you are going to get stuck - slime and pb... No drinking with meals (or 1/2 hr before or after per my doc - but each is diff) This is the banding way of eating... I still have a tough time eating slowly sometimes but my band will remind me real fast.

Bomber57 - CONGRATS 55 LBS THAT GREAT

I have been dragging clothes out from the back of my closet. Some have tags on them from last time i attempted to lose weight, now they are to big. thank goodness for a clothes swap with my support group. Shoes too, i am walking out of my shoes.. great feeling overall. :thumbs_up:

My daughter was even laughing the other day about clothes styles. she is 28 and has her clothes from college. and says she is pulling them out and right in style..animal prints, one bare shoulder. she is a nurse and in scrubs most of the time, so now her clothes closet is in fashion and her budget "safe"..

I had a rough weekend. went out of town to a wedding.. overate... and paid for it. my daughter saw the look of dispair on my face a few times....knew i had eaten too fast and too much. it did pass without getting sick, but i felt miserable!! :confused_smile: Today back to liquids while traveling and back to my walking when i get home. It was a great weekend and i enjoyed myself immensely, except for my food issues.. but taking it as a lesson learned and hope the 2 day boost in calories gives my system a boost for weight loss..

Congrats to all the newly banded and can't wait to here about your surgery journey..:biggrin2:

Lynn

You still have a life to live and even skinny people over eat on occasion - but that's the key work Occasion - see how your mindset has already changed - back on track with your eating and exercise - in the past you would have just come home and continued to eat and eat - See things do change and and the band did prevent you from REALLY overdoing it.

Good Job !!:tongue:

Hi All, Well I'm back from my 4 day weekend to Branson, I loved every minute of it. I have to admit though, that I did not follow my food plan everyday, but I did try to make healthy choices most days. I did splurge though and we ate out everyday and I also ate more than what I've been eating and found out that I really do have some restriction even though I didn't think I had much. Anyway, I still came away for the week losing 1.8 lbs this week, better than last weeks .6 of a lb. Anyway, i was scheduled for a fill this Friday, but we have to go back to Branson over the weekend to pickup our RV from the repair shop so I rescheduled my fill for today @ 3:30. This will be my 2nd fill, so hopefully, this one will be uneventful since I now know what to expect. I'm looking forward to more restriction.

I'm not regretting my decision for the lapband at all, I wish that I had done it sooner.

Teri

Sometimes the extra calories helps the scales - I know weird but true just like the weeks that I may only get to the gym 2 times - thats the week I see the scale move the most.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Janet, Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am back on track today after splurging the last 4 days. I forgot to mention that when I got home yesterday that I went downstairs and did my treadmill and plan on doing it everynite this week, so hopefully, I'll see the scale move more next week. I will be going back to Branson this weekend too to pick up the RV from Repair but I will try to do better this weekend, but it's good to know that the band help keep me in-check and since I'll be getting another fill this afternoon that won't hurt me any either. :confused_smile:

Hello over 50 gang. Well tomorrow is my day I wish for smooth sailing. I thought this day would never get here and now that it has I am really getting nervous. Keep me in your prayers.

Mecia

You will be in my prayers tonight and tomorrow. Know tomorrow when you are going into surgery there will be prayers floating and surrounding you lifting you up with wishes of health and love.

Edited by BeverlyDiane

Diane, The night before my surgery I wasn't nervous just excited, like the first day of school. I didn't sleep very well but then I made up for that after surgery. You are going to do fine. It will be over before you know it. I will say a little prayer for you tonight. It seems that every night lately I just have a prayer for all my LB buddies who are having their surgeries the next day. Happy Rest of YOUR LIFE....Becky