Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hey all, I did contact my Doctor regarding the headaches and he told be to go back on my Topomax. So I did and so far no headache. Must not be able to just stop taking topomax, you have to gradually get off of them.

Here is another question. This is Wednesday evening and I still can't get a good nites sleep. I just keep waking up after about two hours. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi my blood pressure has been pretty low in the last few weeks when I went to the Dr. Where I am still on my coazar. Well this week I went back to the Dr and my dr told me to cut it in half. Well yesterday I took my half pill and got real dizzy and fell on my kitchen floor. Has this happened to anyone before?

going off Topomax cold turkey is not good... definitely need to taper yourself. my daughter takes it for her Migraines and it is so helpful, without it she cannot make it through a day. So if your headaches are anything like her's I can imagine the pain and discomfort you were having. and for her it is works as an appetite suppressant...the DR was going to take her off of it if she kept losing weight...

BP meds. My blood pressure has been consistently getting lower :confused_smile: DR mentioned cutting my meds in half, so a few weeks before my next appt I am cutting them in half.

Other meds. Since surgery I have gone from 8 pills per day to 3.. so excited. The savings at the pharmacy are great, but knowing I am getting healthier is the best reward.

I am hoping an ioncrease in my variety of exercixe will help with my body. I know the sagging skin was going to be an issue, but even after just 40# I see alot of excess skin. Glad I am saving for that Tummy Tuck when my weight is lost..

Hang in there everyone. There are those days of stress and whatever else life brings. Just get up brush yourself off and get back to your routine.

Great News! :rolleyes2: My test all came back good! I can have my surgery! :bananapowerslide: The excess Fluid is going away and I am feeling great! We still don’t know the cause, but it might be something I am allergic to. I have many food allergies! So! I am good to go on the 6th of June!:bananapowerslide::lol::bananapowerslide:

Thanks to all of you who kept me in your prayers!

Congrats Cathy - I am so happy for you !!!!!:lol::target::P

Hi everyone,

I went to nutrition class tonight. Next on June 10 is preop tests and then June 18 is surgery. I am so nervous about this. I don't want to get sick and I just can't understand how you get back to eating a little food. I don't know why I am having so many questions in my mind but I am. I have to do a five day fast on liquids and I get shakey when I don't eat so I am nervous about that also. Indio and Phil, you girls know the most about this I think so I need some positive advice. I am scared to death!!!! What is wrong with me? I hope I have energy after surgery so I can start walking again. Email me at ox333@sbcglobal.net. I cant imagine what this is going to be like with the band. Am I going to be able to eat most things again, even in moderation. I will be a good judge of food choices. Well enough, I think I am just nervous,

thanks for all of your positive replys

Beckyo:wub:

Becky

It's normal to be scared.

As to what you can and can't eat will depend on your body - everyone is diff and some days you can eat chicken and then the next day you can't. The band is very fickled.

I can eat most foods - I haven't tried a subway sandwich - cuz it's too much bread and I know that I would be full on 3 bites and not have gotten enough nutrition..

Banders Rules - Tiny bites (eraser size) chew chew - eat slowly - and stop when you are full (you can usually tell - at least I can) if you follow these rules you shouldn't pb - The only times that I do - is when I have eaten too fast - not chewed well enough or taken one to many bites.

As to the mental issues with food - you ate 1/2 cup of food and you are phyically full - but your head is telling you - you need to eat more cuz you barely ate - I fight this battle still - I can eat 1 cup and some times 2 for dinner - averages to 1 1/2 cups usually - and I am happy both physically and mentally with this amount of food. I could never be so tight that I was only eating 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food per meal - some people like to be that tight but not me... I feel that the amount of food i eat is an adequate amount for me to get my nutrition (protein) and not feel deprived.

Just keep reading - posting and asking questions - it will all work out..

Thanks for the the good advice for this upcoming surgery and lifeplan everyone. I am going to look for various Protein supplements, etc. and try them now to see which ones I like best. I got some Unjury packets and I tried a chocolate one today except I put it in milk. It was pretty good!!!!

Anyway I will keep checking back with everyone.

thanks

Beckyo:smile2:

btk, I see you are from the Houston area, have you considered consulting with another Dr to see why you have had these problems and if maybe you need another form of aftercare ? Maybe your current Dr is just missing something. We have several very good Dr's in this area I would have a consult with another first before going thru the cost and trama of removing the band. The right Dr and care could turn your experience around. Wishing you good luck.

Sherilyn, I agree, I also use topamax and take it 2xday to ward off Migraines, which I have suffered with since I was 10. After moving to the East side of Houston 4 yrs ago I noticed a huge increase in severity and number after years of them quieting down, after finding Topamax helped alot they told me never stop it cold turkey. My Dr does let me cut back to 1 in the fall and winter, then in spring and summer I go back to 2 daily. I would definately talk to your Dr before stopping or cutting back on this particular medication first. Good luck.

I am back from Arizona. Being there and getting rid of all my dad's stuff was very stressful. I had ice cream every day and didn't even feel guilty. I wasn't able to get to the gym I joined while I was there very often either.

I was afraid to see how much I gained. The first thing I did when I got home was get on the scale. I gained 5 lbs. I will have to go back to the basics to get the sugar out of my system. I will go back on Protein shakes all next week. That always does the trick to get me back on track.

I don't have time to go back and read what I missed while I had no computer. Hopefully, I will have time tomorrow.

Denise

Glad you are home - 5 lbs isn't that bad and you have a plan - that's what counts.

Yes with my family around - I have had more sugar than usual - but not bad enough to put a damper on my weight loss.

Hi Everyone,

Well I made it thru the surgery no complications! Thanks for you thoughts and prayers. I am on Clear Liquids for 2 more days if anyone can help me please I am so hungry that bI can not even sleep at night.Is there any suggestions as to what I can have that will hold me at least an hour. The sugar free Jello and crystal light leave a coating on my tongue that make me gag. The only thing that is okay to keep down is sugar free popsicles broth and Water. I am very week and tired very easy. Any suggestion well be greatly appriciated.

agm--congrats on having the surgery! Glad you are one of the gang.

broth really saved me. I also enjoyed Lite Apple juice and Lite Cranberry juice. The little bit of sugar and carbs saved me. What about Gatorade?

Hang in there!

I think I am going to have to try something with a little sugar cause right now I feel a little sick and the last thing I want to do is throw up. I may call the Dr. cause I am a little light headed.

Hi Everyone,

Well I made it thru the surgery no complications! Thanks for you thoughts and prayers. I am on clear liquids for 2 more days if anyone can help me please I am so hungry that bI can not even sleep at night.Is there any suggestions as to what I can have that will hold me at least an hour. The sugar free Jello and crystal light leave a coating on my tongue that make me gag. The only thing that is okay to keep down is sugar free popsicles broth and Water. I am very week and tired very easy. Any suggestion well be greatly appriciated.

Have you made homemade broth - I find it so much better than the canned or boxed stuff. Apple juice??? I was on full liquids when I got home - I only did clear in the hospital..

What I did was to take a can of chicken veg Soup strained off the solids and thinned out with chicken broth. I will have my husband bring home some no sugar added apple juice. I hope I can make it till Mon. I am just so weak. Thanks to everyone that has responed at this point I am willing to try anything.

My surgery went well on Tuesday. Just six incisions closed up with tape. Lost about 20 pounds before surgery. I am passing lots of gas, no problem...no gas pains. I love my "bags of peas" that I use for ice packs, love my liquid pain med, and just giggle out loud when I think that I am FINALLY on my way to losing weight FOR GOOD!!! My doc is pretty strict with liquids for two weeks, then Soups and yogurt for another two weeks before starting solid foods. I have been to two potlucks since Tues and another one tonight!! IT is a big thing in my life (specific Ethnic people in my cirlcels)...but workable. I just sit there in a "fog" sipping on my soy milk and Isopure thinking, did I used to eat that much food!! LOL I never want to be a reformed smoker type, I would never say anything to anyone...but no wonder I started out at 307 lbs. But now I am down to 288 lbs. YEA FOR ME...Praise the Lord!! :cool2: ChristyC