Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

NaniRose, I think it really comes down to a personal choice, so research both types for yourself and make an informed decision . I personally didn't want to deal with the malabsorbtion issues with gbp. I like the idea of resitricted amounts of food...portion control. I want to be able to eat normally only in smaller amounts. I have always preferred good healthy foods instead of junk or fast foods. I just didn't have any mechanism that told me when to stop at satisfied as opposed to over stuffed. It also depends on your health problems. If you have diabetes or heart disease you may opt for the gbp for quicker results to get your blood sugars and blood pressure stabilized. Your primary care doc should probably be able to advise you on thoes issues. I kind of want a little slower weight loss so I went with the LB. I am surprised to find from others who are 6-12 months out that it really isn't that much slower. I am just 6 days post op and feeling great. With my 2 week preop diet and the week after surgery I have lost about 15 lbs and I am very happy. Already my back and knee pains have decreased. Just make sure you make the best choice for you. Best wishes to you. Becky

I had a little Constipation and I just took milk of mag and it worked for me. It sure feels great when you start passing gas!!! I always had such large BM's before but I was eating tons more than I am now so I will have smaller BM's now. My husband can't stand any kind of body function talk so it is great to be able to discuss it with you guys. LOL!

CONGRATULATION with that type of weight loss. I am just nervous. My sister had gastric bypass done. The weight did come off very fast. I am concern my family doesn't understand that this is slower and they are expecting me to lose it as fast.

Nanirose, It is a big decision and one that your family will have to understand too. If your sister is doing well and having a good outcome maybe that would be the right choice for you. What does your sister have to say about it? Is she happy with her choice? Are your lifestyles and health issues simular? Some people have told me they chose the gbp because it has more side effects (dumping syndrome) if you eat junk food and therefore is a stronger mechanism for making healthier choices. I have seen great results with both options. I heard that if you have diabetes your chances for getting off diabetic meds are better with the gbp, but don't quote me on that. Do lots of research before you choose for yourself. Make a pros and cons graft for both types. good luck.

Hello all good bansters,

Hope everyone is doing good. Its such a good feeling to see all the newer people. Sounds like some of them are already on their way to a new healthier life and some are just about to start. I certainly have never regretted having the Lap Band. I never considered having the bypass. That is a personal choice that each and every person has to decide. For the new folks, this is a wonderful place to discuss problems, and get the support you need. Two people that have been a total inspiration to me are Janet, aka Indigo Girl and Phil, aka Phyllser. There are certainly others that have been on their journey and are inspirational too but these two ladies really stick out in my mind as someone that I can rely on to answer honestly if I have a question. I have had enough fills now that I can not eat very much and its great except for one thing. I keep forgetting that I can not hold much food and unless I get a small plate, I tend to put too much food on my plate and can not eat it. I have been guilty of eating more than i should and then PBing. yuck. You live and you hopefully learn by your mistakes.. ha ha.. Hang in there all you newbies, you are all gonna make it big time. Take care everyone. Brenda, aka Southerngal

Hi all,

I, too, can't wait to have the surgery behind me. I feel like I am already on my way because as of this morning I have lost 16lbs post-op. Wish me luck and pray for me tomorrow morning (05/19/08) at 9:30 a.m. I too, have to stay overnite. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated! I am sure glad I found all of you (my new friends!). May God bless us all!:leaving:

Hi Sherilynn, I am sure everything will go smoothly. It will be over before you know it and you will be on your way to recovery and your new lifesyle. You are already off to a great start with a 16lb pre op loss.....good for you!! I'll include you in my prayers tonight with the others who are having surgery tomorrow. Becky

Hi Brenda, I feel the same way about Janet and Phil they have both been an inspiration and support for me especially as I awaited my surgery date. Their honesty and advise was such a comfort. Best wishes to you on your great accomplishments. It is people like you that will keep me going as I try out my new wings. thanks, Becky

Hi all,

I, too, can't wait to have the surgery behind me. I feel like I am already on my way because as of this morning I have lost 16lbs post-op. Wish me luck and pray for me tomorrow morning (05/19/08) at 9:30 a.m. I too, have to stay overnite. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated! I am sure glad I found all of you (my new friends!). May God bless us all!:leaving:

Hi Sherlyn,

I remember how I felt the night before I had my surgery. I was so nervous and kept thinking all kinds of things, like "am I making a mistake?" " Will it hurt?" This time tomorrow you will have it all over with and everything will be great. Yes, there will be a bit of pain but you are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle. It won't be long until you are posting to folks in the same situation as you are right now and telling them to relax that everything will be fine. I will keep you in my prayers. Let us hear from you as soon as you feel like it so we all know you are ok. This is a very exciting time for you and you will be so glad you did this for yourself. You could not have given yourself a better gift than this. You are knocking on the door of better health and you will be glad you did. Take care, and let us hear from you. Brenda

Hi Brenda, I feel the same way about Janet and Phil they have both been an inspiration and support for me especially as I awaited my surgery date. Their honesty and advise was such a comfort. Best wishes to you on your great accomplishments. It is people like you that will keep me going as I try out my new wings. thanks, Becky

23_30_126.gif Hi Beckn,

Thank you so much. You are such a sweety. This journey we are all on is such an important one. It seems like the time has went pretty fast for me. I am usually an impatient person but I knew when I started this journey it was going to take a while and by the grace of god, I have managed to stay focused and have not been impatient. So glad you and I are on the losers bench together. Brenda

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZUxdm486MQUS

I have been on full liquids for 48 hours and do all Clear Liquids Monday, as my banding gets done Tues (YEA!!) I have had this dull ache in my stomach while doing this, not a real pain but an ache until I drink something again.

This is a real Odd Question....but am I experiencing real hunger for the first time in ages????? It goes away for a few hours until I want to eat again.

How unfamiliar (sad huh...spoiled Americans when others are starving) :leaving:

Hopefully that is all it is...ChristyC

I have had no regrets with my choice of lap band. Success is great.

No real issues, just terrible gad painsd after suergery for a few days.

Everyone's choice is different.

Christy.....that's it....real hunger. I hadn't experinced that in a long time. I always was quick to keep my tummy full for some reason. Just think, your stomach is shrinking too. You will be ready for surgery ! Good Luck! Becky

Yeah, I kind of lived on Gas X and walking for a couple of days but it wasn't horrible.

Christy, I just noticed, we are the same age. I had my LB last monday and I made it through just as well as my 33 year old friend...that is encouraging. Keep me posted on your journey. Becky