Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I completely agree with the Protein low carb thing. Carbs are so evil for me. Once I let them back in, I am craving them more and more.

I have a horrible yeast infection that I can't seem to get rid of. I can't get into the dr. until Thursday. I read online all about it ( as I have many times) and the best thing to get rid of it is to get rid of sugar and carbs in the diet. So, now I have myself convinced that I am allergic to carbs. They are not worth the pain that I am in.

So what is everyone else doing for Fiber if you are limiting the carbs? That is always an issue for me. I can go back to adding the husks into my Water but that seems to make my gas problems worse. One problem after another, it seems.

Congratulations to Orea and Pix!

And Lynn! I hope your date turns into something if that is what you truely desire. I know meeting my bf and having him in my life has brought me a lot of happiness.

Hi Everyone,

With all the wonderful success stories I've just been reading, I'm sorry to put a groan in amongst it all.

I'm sure some of you will remember about my burping and vomiting problems, which unfortunately are ongoing.

This morning I had an Apricot nectar milkshake (delicious) for Breakfast (no lumps) and believe it or not I felt as if I was blocked badly. The pain was not fun at all. Took hours to go away. For lunch I had a very, very small combination chinese, ended up leaving most of it. The eyes are still very willing but the tummy isn't. I have since had two drinks over the afternoon (soooo very hot over here) = frozen coke and a cold milk milo with ice blocks and I feel blocked again. WHY?? My midriff also seems to be extending.

Please don't mention the dreaded "H" word = Hernia. Five of those have been enough.

I just don't understand why I should get blocked with only fluids. My surgeon is overseas till the end of the month.

Best wishes.

Katydid, I have felt blocked with liquids if I am a little blocked by regular foods already, liquids can make it worse.

Oregondaisy have you tried the Special K waters? They have one with fiber that I try and do, even though to me it is a little thick. I use everything and have fiber Choice tablets in cherry flavor to nibble on, SF ones. No amount of fiber seems to be enough though. Benefiber, all of them.

Orea, my fellow July butterfly, congrats on hitting twoverville. Finally, at last huh?

I saw 177 this morning, so Im half way to 120. Might not go all the way to 120, will see how I look in that area, long time away.

Katydid, could you need an unfill? Sounds dangerous. I am not sure what a hernia feels like however, I had a hiatal hernia that my surgeon repaired when banding me and I didn't even know it was there.

Denise, fiber remains an issue for me. I do the Fiber Choice tablets but the label says no more than 4 a day which is 8 grams of fiber in the day. Since Charlene mentioned the Miralax (laxative though not fiber) I've been using that daily and feel so much better. I feel like a normal person in that regard. Her dr. said it was okay to use daily. The label says no more than 2 weeks so I plan to ask tomorrow while I am at the hospital volunteering. I'd hate to have to give it up it's been that much of a lifesaver to me.

Long---I am very interested to hear what you find out about the Mirelax. I too have been having issues in that area.

Also, I have lost the desire to work at losing weight. I have had such a bad month and am so stressed(I hate that word) that I can't get a grip on my choices. We finally will be able to put my dad to rest this coming Saturday. I miss him so much and end up in tears at any time. I am in hopes that after Saturday, maybe I can move on.

I look forward to hearing the answer to the Mirelax issue.

ThankYou--MiMi

Hi Everyone,

With all the wonderful success stories I've just been reading, I'm sorry to put a groan in amongst it all.

I'm sure some of you will remember about my burping and vomiting problems, which unfortunately are ongoing.

This morning I had an Apricot nectar milkshake (delicious) for Breakfast (no lumps) and believe it or not I felt as if I was blocked badly. The pain was not fun at all. Took hours to go away. For lunch I had a very, very small combination chinese, ended up leaving most of it. The eyes are still very willing but the tummy isn't. I have since had two drinks over the afternoon (soooo very hot over here) = frozen coke and a cold milk milo with ice blocks and I feel blocked again. WHY?? My midriff also seems to be extending.

Please don't mention the dreaded "H" word = Hernia. Five of those have been enough.

I just don't understand why I should get blocked with only fluids. My surgeon is overseas till the end of the month.

Best wishes.

I pb'd and vomited four times after a fill before I called the doctor. When I called I went that day for an unfill. You might ought to call the doctor. Have you had your gall bladder removed? This could be easily fixed, but you won't know until you consult your doctor. Maybe he has a doctor filling in for him.

I have been working on small bites and chewing for the last month and I think I am now ready for another fill. You have to have both......restriction and taking small bites with alot of chewing.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sorry you are struggling so much right now, Mimi. Get through till Sat. with taking care of yourself and your family and then sit down and make a plan for yourself with your dietary intake. Stress can make such a difference in a persons life.

As far as the Miralax...everyone reacts differently to products. I do have Miralax in my medicine cabinet but only have used it a few times. For me, it's way too harsh. The bottle states that it will work in up to 3 days. That's a true statement but I'd better be as close to a bathroom as I can be when it hits! I buy Fiber One cereals and eat them for my Snacks every day. It really helps to keep me regular daily. I will not give up the Cereal because I refuse to go back to what it was b/4 eating it. I would go two weeks without "moving". Anyway, incorporated the Fiber One into my diet and it works wonders for me with no side affects.

Edited by Apples2

Sorry you are struggling so much right now, Mimi. Get through till Sat. with taking care of yourself and your family and then sit down and make a plan for yourself with your dietary intake. Stress can make such a difference in a persons life.

As far as the Miralax...everyone reacts differently to products. I do have Miralax in my medicine cabinet but only have used it a few times. For me, it's way too harsh. The bottle states that it will work in up to 3 days. That's a true statement but I'd better be as close to a bathroom as I can be when it hits! I buy Fiber One cereals and eat them for my Snacks every day. It really helps to keep me regular daily. I will not give up the Cereal because I refuse to go back to what it was b/4 eating it. I would go two weeks without "moving". Anyway, incorporated the Fiber One into my diet and it works wonders for me with no side affects.

Apples, your right, Miralax reacts to everyone's body differently. I take it everyday. When it was a prescription....it was much stronger. Also , there is a warning on it about those with Kidney problems. It might not be good for you since you produce stones. I have been on Miralax for a few years. It keeps me from having serious colon problems. So, everyone should just find what works for them. :wub::thumbup::tt1:

Concern about fiber w/o carbs? Green vegies - leafy and otherwise - all have fiber and don't have to be eaten raw (sauteed spinach, cabbage (green and/or red), collards, kale, etc., are wonderful - I like them with just a touch of balsamic vinegar.) Also incorporate dried Beans, lintels, split peas, etc. - good Protein AND fiber. Whole grain cereals are good. Mainly stay away from the "white" foods if you are concerned about carbs - potatoes, rice, Pasta (unless whole grain). and AVOCADO is a good source of fiber and good fats.

Gosh, that all sounds so good, must be time for dinner...

Mimi, I will definitely post what I find out, but do know all docs are different as well as all bodies.

apples, I like the idea about the Fiber One cereal. I knew they ahd bars out but they are quite full of calories. I thought of looking for Kashi as well. This might be a good solution for me as I am always wanting a snack this time of afternoon.

Concern about fiber w/o carbs? Green vegies - leafy and otherwise - all have fiber and don't have to be eaten raw (sauteed spinach, cabbage (green and/or red), collards, kale, etc., are wonderful - I like them with just a touch of balsamic vinegar.) Also incorporate dried Beans, lintels, split peas, etc. - good Protein AND fiber. Whole grain cereals are good. Mainly stay away from the "white" foods if you are concerned about carbs - potatoes, rice, Pasta (unless whole grain). and AVOCADO is a good source of fiber and good fats. Gosh, that all sounds so good, must be time for dinner...

I'm with you, girl! I'm cooking cabbage for the third time in a week. First time I used it in one of Janet's "One Pot Wonders". Then I made a sort of home made sauerkraut, threw in some carrots and sliced up hot dogs and took it to a pot luck. Not a scrap was left so I guess it was good! I cooked it in some white balsamic vinegar with a few packets of Splenda. Today I'm making some fish chowder in the crockpot... cabbage, couple of cans of diced tomatoes, can of Tomato sauce and a couple cans of Water, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, onions and 1lb of mixed seafood that I bought at Wal-Mart... artificial crab, shrimp, squid, calamari, etc. Spiced it up with a little curry powder, chili powder, ground cumin, ground cilantro, Lawry's seafood seasoning. Smells wonderful. Low carb, low cal, lots of fiber, good quality Protein. Mmmmmm!

AND, it'll feed us for several days!

12_4_60.gif 36_33_15.gif

I eat the fiber one cereal too. I like it a lot. For the time being, I am going to go as carbless as possible to get rid of this yeast infection. Every book I have read in the health food stores and online have said that carbs feed the yeast.

I really like the Kashi crunch cereal and it's pretty high in fiber. I will try to eat as many greens as I can until I can get this under control. I use the miralax too but not every day.

I am so sorry about your dad Mimi. That is so sad. My heart goes out to you! That is so hard.

Katy, you need an unfill. You're probably swollen inside and that's why even liquids are giving you problems. Can you find someone to have some taken out before your doctor gets back? That's a long time to go when you're having that kind of trouble, and it's dangerous. If you can't get an unfill, try sipping something like the Protein Water so you don't get dehydrated and let the swelling go down. The more you pb, it causes more swelling.

Katy....we all have our experiences and give our advice which is usually tried and true. But, I do think your should listen to Denise on this one. She speaks from experience and had troubles until her unfill. It's truly scary to be having the problems you are and I think that Denise will verify just how much damage being too tight could cause for you. See what an unfill does for you...let it rest and then try the fills again.

Denise.....I LOVE the Fiber One cereals. They have a great amount of fiber and as I said in previous post, they are my Snacks. I don't eat an entire serving for a snack...depends on serving size and calories. I do eat plenty of veggies also and think that helps to keep things the way they should be. It's really tough getting an adequate amount of veggies in though with trying to keep the Protein amounts up there.

Phyl and JoAnne...I love vinegar and always have it on my cooked spinach. I will have to try it on other veggies in the future. Will have to try the fish chowder also. Sounds good.

Hope everyone had a good day. One day closer to going south for us. Cold and windy today....just makes us lust for that warm weather even more!

Fiber Choice with Calcium and prunes, really do the trick for me, but we are all different..

Sad note, my 10 year old cocker spanial, Cobi, is suffering with pain and glaucoma. WE have her on pain meds and eye drops. Just waiting to see if that helps at all. Sleepless night and stress, makes the band tighten and cause issues..