Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Yep, Katy, Aussie's have the best sense of humor and are thr friendliest pple ever. We have traveled to your country a few times and we were able to stay for a month each time. I LOVE my Aussie friends. We had 2 exchange students by in 1994-1995 and then they came back to visit many times...often bringing their family. Both girls stayed months at a time when they would come back to visit. One of our girls is will be on a world tour next summer and will stay with us at our lake home for a couple of weeks with her new DH. (not d*ck head!). One of my best friends in the world is one of the girl's mothers. I wish she was my next door neighbor or even lived with us. We are like sisters.

Take care, Katy. Will be thinking of you. My son's friend did not get very good news. They started chemo immediately. I want to stay optimistic but the results sound way too scary.

Apples - about 5 or 6 years ago my DD's former boss was feeling tired and DD insisted he go to the doctor. He went to his family physician who saw the lab results and sent him immediately to KU Medical Cntr - he had a very aggressive form of leukemia, and the chemo people were waiting for him with a wheelchair as he walked in the hospital door! He and his wife had two very small children and it was the scariest situation you can imagine. Some very difficult months followed with multiple rounds of chemo. 1 1/2 years ago - when DD and her husband were getting ready for their move to S. Korea, we had a party for them at our house. This young man and his family were here - the chemo worked for him and he has been in good health since his initial treatments. He always tells me DD saved his life because she nagged him so much! DD laughs about that now, but considering the urgency of the treatment - he's probably right. Lesson learned - never hesitate to nag a friend.

Happy New Year everyone.:thumbup: I see we are all resolving to get on the bandwagon again and get the band working for us. I have been reading different sites for inspiration and maybe had an AHA moment! (or maybe not). Do any of you concentrate more on getting the 60 - 90 gms of Protein than on calories? I never thought of it and am wondering if this could be a reason for my slow-non-existant weight loss (aside from all the crappy eating over Christmas.:)) I think more of the calories than the protein and have a feeling that I am eating far less protein than I should be. What are your thoughts?:cry_smile:

Woo Hoo...hit the 40 lb loss this morning. I have been waiting so long for this. Weight is coming off better now since I started tracking my food on SparkPeople and exercising. I am so thrilled !!! I had my 5th fill last week so I'm not feeling hungry, yet I still eat my 3 meals. Wanted to share since I am so excited !! :)

Happy New Year everyone.:thumbup: I see we are all resolving to get on the bandwagon again and get the band working for us. I have been reading different sites for inspiration and maybe had an AHA moment! (or maybe not). Do any of you concentrate more on getting the 60 - 90 gms of Protein than on calories? I never thought of it and am wondering if this could be a reason for my slow-non-existant weight loss (aside from all the crappy eating over Christmas.:)) I think more of the calories than the protein and have a feeling that I am eating far less protein than I should be. What are your thoughts?:cry_smile:

This is so true for me. Actually my dietician (works for my surgeon) told me to concentrate on the protein. I seem to do much better when I do that. I do calculate calories at the end of the day, but mostly to get the protein. Good luck, Dot:closedeyes:

DixieDoo - I have read that bit about Protein vs calories, too. From my pre-banding experience, I know I lose better if I concentrate on protein and lo-carb vegies. I think if you are a slow loser you should definitely give the higher protein plan a try. Some ppl suggest adding a few walnuts to yogurt, lo-fat cheese to scrambled egg, lots of small ways to add a bit more protein to many foods. The concern is that many protein foods are also higher in fat, so you need to be aware of that factor. My plan is based a lot on the South Beach diet, as it is high protein, lo-carb vegies, low-fat...basically healthy eating. The limit is on "white" foods - white bread, potatoes, white rice, Pasta, etc. Those foods are tough for me - I respond a lot the way others do to sweets. I never met a potato I didn't love, and love, and love. I am better to stay with a little sweet potato (I roast them w/a tiny bit of olive oil), brown rice, whole wheat bread and WW pasta. Not crazy about that WW pasta, but there are some new brands that are a better texture and not as grainy as the earlier brands. (yuch) Read the labels. I do love WW bread, but I'm not eating bread of any kind right now. I will probably try it later on when I'm more confident in my ability to chew and digest it. These foods are also higher in Fiber which we NEED!

I say GO FOR IT! If it is healthy and you begin losing again, you have won a victory and learned a valuable skill.

Apples - about 5 or 6 years ago my DD's former boss was feeling tired and DD insisted he go to the doctor. He went to his family physician who saw the lab results and sent him immediately to KU Medical Cntr - he had a very aggressive form of leukemia, and the chemo people were waiting for him with a wheelchair as he walked in the hospital door! He and his wife had two very small children and it was the scariest situation you can imagine. Some very difficult months followed with multiple rounds of chemo. 1 1/2 years ago - when DD and her husband were getting ready for their move to S. Korea, we had a party for them at our house. This young man and his family were here - the chemo worked for him and he has been in good health since his initial treatments. He always tells me DD saved his life because she nagged him so much! DD laughs about that now, but considering the urgency of the treatment - he's probably right. Lesson learned - never hesitate to nag a friend.

Treatment basically sounds just like my

DS's friend is going through. They did not wait one minute to start mega chemo on him. Your story is encouraging, JoAnn.

Have had a kidney stone since yesterday. It's a bitch (sorry). But name it like it is! I get them about once a month. They are Calcium based and just have to deal with them. When my doc suggested I take Calcium supplements, I freaked. Had a bone scan and he made the suggestion. I decided bone health is important and will just have to deal with it if supplement causes more stones. The stones have nothing to do with hydration as I get way more liquid than suggested daily. God just decided that they were mine to have. I have been getting them monthly (or more) since 1994. Fun times. Had them pounded in 1998 and told DH this morning that it's about time to go and have them looked at again to see if I should have the procedure again.

Even though I had a stone, I got all my Christmas stuff down and put away. I have such a huge collection but love every bit of it. I enjoy putting it up as much as I enjoy looking and admiring it when I put it away. Bought a new pre-lit Christmas tree a few days ago with 1000 lights on it. Mine is ten years old...has 1000 lights also. Will put the old one in the family room and the new in livingroom. Also ordered one for outside. I am a Christmas girl!!!!

Hope everyone is have a nice and relaxing weekend. I will be as soon as I pass this sucker.:)

DixieDoo - I have read that bit about Protein vs calories, too. From my pre-banding experience, I know I lose better if I concentrate on protein and lo-carb vegies. I think if you are a slow loser you should definitely give the higher protein plan a try. Some ppl suggest adding a few walnuts to yogurt, lo-fat cheese to scrambled egg, lots of small ways to add a bit more protein to many foods. The concern is that many protein foods are also higher in fat, so you need to be aware of that factor. My plan is based a lot on the South Beach diet, as it is high protein, lo-carb vegies, low-fat...basically healthy eating. The limit is on "white" foods - white bread, potatoes, white rice, Pasta, etc. Those foods are tough for me - I respond a lot the way others do to sweets. I never met a potato I didn't love, and love, and love. I am better to stay with a little sweet potato (I roast them w/a tiny bit of olive oil), brown rice, whole wheat bread and WW pasta. Not crazy about that WW pasta, but there are some new brands that are a better texture and not as grainy as the earlier brands. (yuch) Read the labels. I do love WW bread, but I'm not eating bread of any kind right now. I will probably try it later on when I'm more confident in my ability to chew and digest it. These foods are also higher in Fiber which we NEED! I say GO FOR IT! If it is healthy and you begin losing again, you have won a victory and learned a valuable skill.

Very well said, Joannmarie! I totally agree with everything you said, and BOY, can I relate to the potato thing! That's probably what I miss more than anything... potatoes! I must make sure DH buys me some sweet taters now & then. He does ALL the shopping and he NEVER buys me any carbs at all! Which is okay because I really don't lose well if I eat them. But a little roasted sweet potatoes now and then wouldn't hurt! When he has let me have some, it's usually about the equivalent of three normal size french fries!

I really can't tolerate bread. Yesterday there were free hamburgers/hot dogs here at our RV park so I got a hamburger with a roll.... mostly to hold my catsup & onions!! :) Made the mistake of taking a bite of the roll and I was immediately uncomfortable so I peeled the rest of it off little by little... so as not to get catsup all over my fingers! It was a small patty, but I had that uncomfortable feeling for probably 2 hours after that! Managed to drink a "skinny latte" a few hours later.

We had a potluck after church today. Those are always a challenge! I fixed cabbage, onions, carrots which I first sauteed in white balsamic vinegar, a couple of packets of Splenda and some spices... a little curry powder, etc. Then added about 8 beef hot dogs, sliced up, and put it all in the crock pot. Sort of like homemade sauerkraut with a few embellishments! It was pretty good! I was afraid it might be too pungent because of the vinegar, but I'll tell you what... there was NONE left! So I guess I wasn't the only one who liked it! Next time, I might Water the vinegar down just a tad. But that was one meal when I didn't really get all my protein and I ate more carbs than usual.. small spoonful of scalloped potatoes, 1/2 deviled egg, a small spoonful of some kind of rice dish. Found some baked apple slices on the dessert table that were very good. That's another thing easily fixed as low calorie... apples, splenda, cinnamon..a little bit of some kind of juice maybe. There were a few raisins and walnuts in the one I sampled. Not much sugar so probably was a healthy choice. We CAN DO these things (potlucks/buffets) if we just use a little common sense and self-restraint!

Potatoes, bread, Pasta and rice. no good for me!!

I am very careful when I go out to eat..

Had a dinner date the other night and ate slow. He knew I have lost weight, but does not know about my band.

Good time and future date yippee. nice guy..

I am soooo psyched!!! Another 1.2 lbs gone forever. Starting the New Year off great!! Total 81.8 lbs gone since May 19th!! Gooooooo Looosssiiieee!!! (my band)

Hi, I had a nice holiday and didn't gain anything to speak of. :-) I held pretty steady, which was good considering I made a few Desserts for the guys and had a little bit now and then. Now I am finally getting the scale moving again -- in the right direction! And today I finally hit the 200's. 299.0. :-) It almost feels like an anticlimax, it took so long. LOL But I can out-wait my stubborn body!

Happy New Year everyone.:cool2: I see we are all resolving to get on the bandwagon again and get the band working for us. I have been reading different sites for inspiration and maybe had an AHA moment! (or maybe not). Do any of you concentrate more on getting the 60 - 90 gms of Protein than on calories? I never thought of it and am wondering if this could be a reason for my slow-non-existant weight loss (aside from all the crappy eating over Christmas.:wink_smile:) I think more of the calories than the protein and have a feeling that I am eating far less protein than I should be. What are your thoughts?:thumbup:

Band rules - protein 1st - then veggies then carbs if any room along with calories - I am FIRM believer in tracking especially for the 1st year - by then end of the 1st year you have pretty much programed yourself how you should be eating...

What about exercise - it's key too - to lose weight we must burn more calories than we eat = 3500 calories = 1 lbs...

Woo Hoo...hit the 40 lb loss this morning. I have been waiting so long for this. Weight is coming off better now since I started tracking my food on SparkPeople and exercising. I am so thrilled !!! I had my 5th fill last week so I'm not feeling hungry, yet I still eat my 3 meals. Wanted to share since I am so excited !! :tt2:

PJ - Congrats on your 40 lbs !!! WTG

Treatment basically sounds just like my

DS's friend is going through. They did not wait one minute to start mega chemo on him. Your story is encouraging, JoAnn.

Have had a kidney stone since yesterday. It's a bitch (sorry). But name it like it is! I get them about once a month. They are Calcium based and just have to deal with them. When my doc suggested I take Calcium supplements, I freaked. Had a bone scan and he made the suggestion. I decided bone health is important and will just have to deal with it if supplement causes more stones. The stones have nothing to do with hydration as I get way more liquid than suggested daily. God just decided that they were mine to have. I have been getting them monthly (or more) since 1994. Fun times. Had them pounded in 1998 and told DH this morning that it's about time to go and have them looked at again to see if I should have the procedure again.

Even though I had a stone, I got all my Christmas stuff down and put away. I have such a huge collection but love every bit of it. I enjoy putting it up as much as I enjoy looking and admiring it when I put it away. Bought a new pre-lit Christmas tree a few days ago with 1000 lights on it. Mine is ten years old...has 1000 lights also. Will put the old one in the family room and the new in livingroom. Also ordered one for outside. I am a Christmas girl!!!!

Hope everyone is have a nice and relaxing weekend. I will be as soon as I pass this sucker.:mellow:

Apples hugs on your kidney stones - omw I hear they hurt terribly...

Very well said, Joannmarie! I totally agree with everything you said, and BOY, can I relate to the potato thing! That's probably what I miss more than anything... potatoes! I must make sure DH buys me some sweet taters now & then. He does ALL the shopping and he NEVER buys me any carbs at all! Which is okay because I really don't lose well if I eat them. But a little roasted sweet potatoes now and then wouldn't hurt! When he has let me have some, it's usually about the equivalent of three normal size french fries!

I really can't tolerate bread. Yesterday there were free hamburgers/hot dogs here at our RV park so I got a hamburger with a roll.... mostly to hold my catsup & onions!!

:) Made the mistake of taking a bite of the roll and I was immediately uncomfortable so I peeled the rest of it off little by little... so as not to get catsup all over my fingers! It was a small patty, but I had that uncomfortable feeling for probably 2 hours after that! Managed to drink a "skinny latte" a few hours later.

We had a potluck after church today. Those are always a challenge! I fixed cabbage, onions, carrots which I first sauteed in white balsamic vinegar, a couple of packets of Splenda and some spices... a little curry powder, etc. Then added about 8 beef hot dogs, sliced up, and put it all in the crock pot. Sort of like homemade sauerkraut with a few embellishments! It was pretty good! I was afraid it might be too pungent because of the vinegar, but I'll tell you what... there was NONE left! So I guess I wasn't the only one who liked it! Next time, I might Water the vinegar down just a tad. But that was one meal when I didn't really get all my protein and I ate more carbs than usual.. small spoonful of scalloped potatoes, 1/2 deviled egg, a small spoonful of some kind of rice dish. Found some baked apple slices on the dessert table that were very good. That's another thing easily fixed as low calorie... apples, splenda, cinnamon..a little bit of some kind of juice maybe. There were a few raisins and walnuts in the one I sampled. Not much sugar so probably was a healthy choice. We CAN DO these things (potlucks/buffets) if we just use a little common sense and self-restraint!

Phyl - I knew the potatoes was going to get you :0).... I still eat carbs just very few for the most part...

Potatoes, bread, Pasta and rice. no good for me!!

I am very careful when I go out to eat..

Had a dinner date the other night and ate slow. He knew I have lost weight, but does not know about my band.

Good time and future date yippee. nice guy..

Lynn congrats on the date !!!!

I am soooo psyched!!! Another 1.2 lbs gone forever. Starting the New Year off great!! Total 81.8 lbs gone since May 19th!! Gooooooo Looosssiiieee!!! (my band)

Mommy - Congrats - how fantastic

Hi, I had a nice holiday and didn't gain anything to speak of. :-) I held pretty steady, which was good considering I made a few Desserts for the guys and had a little bit now and then. Now I am finally getting the scale moving again -- in the right direction! And today I finally hit the 200's. 299.0. :-) It almost feels like an anticlimax, it took so long. LOL But I can out-wait my stubborn body!

Orea - Congrats on getting to the 200 - that's super !!

Oreo - congrats on hitting the 200's

and congrats to all on the SV and NSV. hey just staying steady with our weight over the holiday season is a big plus for us all

Hi everyone, just wanted to say "Thanks" for all the information.PRICELESS.Was having some problems,some one said need to call the doc.Well today up 4 pounds hmmm.So called the doc, information was right need unfilled.Doing much better, lets all get out there and more it and make 2009 the best for all of us.Big Hugs..

Hi, I had a nice holiday and didn't gain anything to speak of. :-) I held pretty steady, which was good considering I made a few desserts for the guys and had a little bit now and then. Now I am finally getting the scale moving again -- in the right direction! And today I finally hit the 200's. 299.0. :-) It almost feels like an anticlimax, it took so long. LOL But I can out-wait my stubborn body!

WOOHOO!! Congrats Orea!!!