Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I am a major stress eater. I know I am, but I can't seem to get a handle on it right now. My aunt will not be buried until next Monday. She wanted to be buried by her first husband at Veteran's cemetery and they won't be open till the 5th. So, this will be a long week. I did start sewing today to get my mind off of eating. It helps.

I know about caring for aging parents. Assisted living is expensive. Fortunately my mother is still in a retirement apartment. She lives in a high rise that has apartments, assisted living, and a nursing home. And being a non profit complex her place is quite affordable. I can sleep at night knowing she can call for help, and they will come right away.

It's nice that your mind is at ease when it comes to where your mother lives and that she is well taken care of, Charlene. One of my best friends is 88 and lives in a wonderful apartment building. Just a call button away. Last time she fell she "didn't want to bother the EMT's" so she got another "old lady" (in her words) to give her a ride to the hospital. :)

Good morning ladies

What a sad thing for your friend's family, Katy. My father was in the funeral business and it seemed that there were so many deaths during the holiday season. The loss at this time of the year just seemed so much more intense. My DS (27) best friend is sitting in a hospital for three weeks. Just diagnosed with leukemia. A young wife and two babies. Such a worry.

Cold and windy day today. We are right on the edge of the snow. Talking 6" today. Hopefully we will not get that much. We have PLENTY. Makes a person feel like a prisoner. Need to go out later to work one of my volunteer jobs. The drive is always a worry when it's snowing.

Have a memorial party later this evening for a friend that died a month ago. It's her birthday today and a bunch of her riends (many) getting together to remember her. Died of breast cancer at the age of 43. She was diagnosed less than two years ago. She was such a trooper. Worked up until 2 weeks b/4 she was taken. She was one of the people that EVERYONE loved. Her DH is a dip sh*t and made her life not so great. A very self-centered ick. I'm sure she is in heaven after what she put up with.

Well...back to the books. Hope everyone has a great day.

Hi Apples2,

It is going to be a very hard day today at the funeral, especially being New Years Eve. I really hope your sons friend beats the cruel monster (leukemia).

On a , lighter note, reading about your friends (dec'd) husband, reminded me of the first time I found this site. Over here in Australia DH means something entirely different and I couldn't understand why everyones husbands were such rotters. When I finally realised it meant Dear Husband over there and not D**k Head, I had a good laugh. I guess we are real colonials over here but we do have a good sense of humour.

Happy New Year To All.

I wanted to say thankyou again for all the nice posts concerning the loss of my dad. We lost him on the 22nd of December and still have not gotten to have services for him. You see, he was to be creamated. We checked with the funeral home today and they said that he had not even been creamated yet. They told us that they didn't know when the ashes would be delivered. We thought that we would have been able to have the memorial and the burial of the ashes much sooner. Now, as it stands, he died in 2008 and will be buried in 2009. It will be very hard, if even at all possible, to have closure until we can have a service. Mom is upset and I am beside myself over all this.

I refuse to say that all this is causing me to eat everything in sight. I just do not handle stress well, and I use the stress as an excuse to eat. I have not weighed myself lately, but I would guess that I have gained 10 pounds since Thanksgiving.

I am so sorry for everyone who has lost a loved one during this Holiday season. I pray that we all get through our sadness and can go on to happiness in 2009. My Daddy was so proud of me for losing 40 pounds and I must get it together and keep on losing for my health's sake.

I want you all to know that I care about you and feel that you are very dear to me. May this New Year be our happiest one yet-----

Love,

MiMi

MIMI, we are here for you. Just rest in the knowledge that when you are ready you have a tool, your band, and LBT friends to help you.

Hi Apples2,

It is going to be a very hard day today at the funeral, especially being New Years Eve. I really hope your sons friend beats the cruel monster (leukemia).

On a , lighter note, reading about your friends (dec'd) husband, reminded me of the first time I found this site. Over here in Australia DH means something entirely different and I couldn't understand why everyones husbands were such rotters. When I finally realised it meant Dear Husband over there and not D**k Head, I had a good laugh. I guess we are real colonials over here but we do have a good sense of humour.

Happy New Year To All.

Yep, Katy, Aussie's have the best sense of humor and are thr friendliest pple ever. We have traveled to your country a few times and we were able to stay for a month each time. I LOVE my Aussie friends. We had 2 exchange students by in 1994-1995 and then they came back to visit many times...often bringing their family. Both girls stayed months at a time when they would come back to visit. One of our girls is will be on a world tour next summer and will stay with us at our lake home for a couple of weeks with her new DH. (not d*ck head!). One of my best friends in the world is one of the girl's mothers. I wish she was my next door neighbor or even lived with us. We are like sisters.

Take care, Katy. Will be thinking of you. My son's friend did not get very good news. They started chemo immediately. I want to stay optimistic but the results sound way too scary.

Well, I have really been holding all of you up in prayer. Sometimes it just seems like it never stops once the Dam breaks open.

I am a hospice nurse and it does seem to me that people just let go around this time of year. The holiday season is a very stressfull time and I wonder sometimes if the frailest of the frail begin to feel our stress or we transfer it to them somehow.

Mimi, not being able to get closure with your dad must be hard. You can't even begin to move forward when you get stuck in a holding pattern with your grief. I think we all understand stress eating. food is our comfort and right now you need to be comforted. I am asking the Lord to give you the comfort you need and the much needed rest. That he will take and wipe away your need for food at this time.

Charlene: I have spent many years working as a Director of Nursing in continuing care retirement communities and yes it is a great relief to know that your mother can age in place and many families have told me how nice it is to know their loved one is being taken care of and someone is on call 24/7 and it doesn't have to be you.

Apples: What a nice tribute to your friend that you are all getting together to honor her memory on her birthday! Here's hoping it's a great celebration of life in her honor.

Well, I have really been holding all of you up in prayer. Sometimes it just seems like it never stops once the Dam breaks open.

I am a hospice nurse and it does seem to me that people just let go around this time of year. The holiday season is a very stressfull time and I wonder sometimes if the frailest of the frail begin to feel our stress or we transfer it to them somehow.

Mimi, not being able to get closure with your dad must be hard. You can't even begin to move forward when you get stuck in a holding pattern with your grief. I think we all understand stress eating. food is our comfort and right now you need to be comforted. I am asking the Lord to give you the comfort you need and the much needed rest. That he will take and wipe away your need for food at this time.

Charlene: I have spent many years working as a Director of Nursing in continuing care retirement communities and yes it is a great relief to know that your mother can age in place and many families have told me how nice it is to know their loved one is being taken care of and someone is on call 24/7 and it doesn't have to be you.

Apples: What a nice tribute to your friend that you are all getting together to honor her memory on her birthday! Here's hoping it's a great celebration of life in her honor.

Living...I knew you seemed special. It takes a certain kind of person to work with Hospice patients. God Bless you for the work you do.

We were unable to have our memorial celebration this evening. We have a full blown blizzard. Our third already this winter. We are so looking forward to going south to FL for a month!:wink2:

Apples, where do you live? I am so glad I live in Maryland where the weather is moderate in the winter time. I really dislike cold weather, and snow.

As far as being a hospice nurse, it's a calling from God. I thank him everyday for calling me into his service and I am honored to be able to take care of people who are transitioning from this life to another. I am Blessed everyday by my patients and how courageous they are. Dying is not for the faint of heart. It can be a long process however, we now have the ability to keep people comfortable and out of pain.

Stay safe in the blizzard and enjoy Florida.

Is there a way to go directly to this forum? I'm trying to learn my way around and who everybody is still. Oh, and a Happy New Year to you all. May 2009 be healthier and happier for everyone!

Is there a way to go directly to this forum? I'm trying to learn my way around and who everybody is still. Oh, and a Happy New Year to you all. May 2009 be healthier and happier for everyone!

If you go to user cp at the top left, it will bring you to all the threads you have posted on. Then you can click on unsubscribe

if it's not a thread you want to keep posting on. It's under the before and after pictures.

Stress eaters...count me in. I have had a stressful 3-day week at work - thank goodness I'm off till Monday! And I thought going back to work would help me get back on track...WRONG! I came home and gobbled up Christmas Cookies and candies. Now I'm hating myself for doing it.... Why does this have to be so difficult?

I know I need to get rid of the fattening stuff in the house...but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. The Mom in me wants to make these last few days of 'holidays' special for the family. You know...for the kids, for the hubby...and I love the stuff. We only have it once a year...

Now my in-laws are coming for dinner Sunday, and it will be another "big" meal....and dessert...

I guess I'm not ready to be back on the wagon yet.

Thanks for listening...

Happy New Year ! ! !

May it be a healthy and appy new year for us all. We can reflect on how we began this year and realize how far we have come. Congratulations to us ALL ! ! !

Be safe and enjoy :laugh:

Lynn

Am sorry to hear that all of you are loosing loved ones especially this time of year. I have been an in home care giver for various elderly people through the years and I know how hard it is to loose someone. My parents have been gone for 20 years now and I still think about them like it was yesterday. Isn't it funny that I still want to dial my childhood phone number. Time will heal this pain and yes it is hard to concentrate on lap band program during times like this and during holidays. You guys all keep your heads up high and we will all get through this together. On another note Happy New Year to all of the good company on the 50's thread. I have lost 55 lbs since June 18, 2008 and my main goal for 2009 is to loose 55 more. I sure hope that this second half goes well for me and for everyone. I can't imagine loosing another 55 lbs as I have not been thin for many many years but I can't wait. Am grateful we all got to go through this journey together. God Bless!!!

Beckyo

8_6_11v.gifHave a Wonderful and Happy New Year. May the Lord bless you and yours in this coming year of 2009.

Pj

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZCxdm492YYUS