Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Charlene,

So sorry to hear of your loss. You are certainly in my prayers. This Christmas and New Year has been very sad.

The night before Christmas Eve a close family friends son 15 yrs passed away from Leukemia. His mother had only recently been told nothing more could be done for him but they gave him 12 months at the most. She and his younger sister are devastated of course. The funeral is tomorrow, New Years Eve.

Best wishes.

Good morning ladies

What a sad thing for your friend's family, Katy. My father was in the funeral business and it seemed that there were so many deaths during the holiday season. The loss at this time of the year just seemed so much more intense. My DS (27) best friend is sitting in a hospital for three weeks. Just diagnosed with leukemia. A young wife and two babies. Such a worry.

Cold and windy day today. We are right on the edge of the snow. Talking 6" today. Hopefully we will not get that much. We have PLENTY. Makes a person feel like a prisoner. Need to go out later to work one of my volunteer jobs. The drive is always a worry when it's snowing.

Have a memorial party later this evening for a friend that died a month ago. It's her birthday today and a bunch of her riends (many) getting together to remember her. Died of breast cancer at the age of 43. She was diagnosed less than two years ago. She was such a trooper. Worked up until 2 weeks b/4 she was taken. She was one of the people that EVERYONE loved. Her DH is a dip sh*t and made her life not so great. A very self-centered ick. I'm sure she is in heaven after what she put up with.

Well...back to the books. Hope everyone has a great day.

Where is everybody? Nobody has posted for over a year. I am new to this forum and would like to talk to the over 50's. I had mine a year ago and have lost just 35 pounds. Would like to do at least that much next year. Dr. says it should take about three years to lose my 90 pounds.

Where is everybody? Nobody has posted for over a year. I am new to this forum and would like to talk to the over 50's. I had mine a year ago and have lost just 35 pounds. Would like to do at least that much next year. Dr. says it should take about three years to lose my 90 pounds.

Hey Reporter, Welcome!! Not sure what gave you the impression that no one has posted here for over a year but this is a very active forum. This thread alone is on over 300 pages. Welcome, we look forward to getting to know you. I enjoy having this place to come to for support from others who are in the same stage of life as I am. We have some unique issues and usually no matter what can find someone here with excellent advice and support. Congrats on your loss so far!

I guess I just don't know how to use this site yet, but will continue to explore it. I was reading about the lady's friend whose son just passed away with luekemia. My very new daughter-in-law at 24 yrs of age is being tested for that right now.

I need motivation now. I am finally feeling restriction and learning to listen to my body.

I guess I just don't know how to use this site yet, but will continue to explore it. I was reading about the lady's friend whose son just passed away with luekemia. My very new daughter-in-law at 24 yrs of age is being tested for that right now.

I need motivation now. I am finally feeling restriction and learning to listen to my body.

Hi reportergirl...sending good wishes your way and in hopes that your DIL gets good results with her tests.

This is a very friendly thread and if you need support, you've come to the right place. Check in daily, get to know your new friends...you should fit right in with the 50's gang! Welcome

Charlene, I am very sorry about your loss. It seems like everyone is losing loved ones lately.

My dad moved into assisted living but ended up not liking it. I worry about him all the time now. He is in a senior apartment but that only means only seniors can live in that apartment complex. His assisted living place was

2,700 a month and I think that is the main reason he wanted to move out. It was so stressful for me to sell all of his stuff and get him moved in there, and then 2 months later, he moved again. That was when I was eating ice cream every day. It was so hot in Arizona and ever since then I have been having trouble taking the weight I gained back off.

I wish I was one of those people who had no appetite when under stress.

Charlene, I am very sorry about your loss. It seems like everyone is losing loved ones lately.

My dad moved into assisted living but ended up not liking it. I worry about him all the time now. He is in a senior apartment but that only means only seniors can live in that apartment complex. His assisted living place was

2,700 a month and I think that is the main reason he wanted to move out. It was so stressful for me to sell all of his stuff and get him moved in there, and then 2 months later, he moved again. That was when I was eating ice cream every day. It was so hot in Arizona and ever since then I have been having trouble taking the weight I gained back off.

Denise....pat yourself on the back for taking such good care of your father. People don't realize what it takes and the stress a person is under when it comes to taking care of their elderly parents. I remember you talking about having to take care of his home, his belongings, etc. and having to travel to do it. It's a lot to deal with. I am sure it would be somewhat easier for you if you did not have the miles between you. Hang in there. :party:

Reportergirl, Welcome to the thread... its a great place to meet folks of similar background, needs & journeys.

Thirtyfive pounds gone forever ---- Whoo=hoo for you!!!!! Its all about going in the right direction. There will always be others who lose more quickly than others, but remember its an individual JOURNEY!!

Take care, & HUGS

Thank you both for the welcome and words of encouragement! I will be checking in often. This next year I want to work on a healthier diet. Now I eat the things I want but just a lot less. I am sure there is a better way. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

Welcome! I highly recommend that the majority of your diet be Protein and produce. I find I feel so much better eating this way, it's well worth it.

Protein and produce is great advice! I wish chocolate was hard to get and not sold in grocery stores. Liquor is not sold in grocery stores here. The state owns the liquor store. Maybe if I had to go someplace special to get it, it would not find it's way into my shopping basket. Or people would stop bringing chocolate ice cream into my house.

Thanks Apples, It is stressful for me to worry about my dad all the time. He's going to be 90 on April 1st and I will go down there again and spend his birthday with him. I just wish all his friends weren't dead so people were checking on him.

Hi Everyone,

I, too, am glad the holidays are winding down. I feel like my real band-life is in limbo right now - not particularly restricted (with no fill) and moving toward a "normal" diet a little each day as directed by the surgeon. I get a bit of a reminder ("hey, I'm here - remember me?") every once in a while, but for the most part I am doing 90% of the work by myself. Its okay - I expected this phase. I don't get hungry often, and Portion Control has been good.

I go in on Jan 9th to get my first fill. I am looking forward to having more restriction and hope I am as fortunate as some of you who have had good restriction with 1 or 2 fills.

Our little group has sure had some sad difficulties in the last few weeks. My heart goes out to you who are losing parents, siblings, and other loved relatives. In our 50's we are the sandwich generation - still have children who are trying out their wings and need our care; and parents who are losing their independence, in poor health - and need our care. DH and I have been through it, too, and it is really hard. I miss my mom and dad every day. (and, yes, I talk to them, too!) Charlene, I am sending very special prayers for you and your mom. Mimi, I pray you can rest and regain your strength after these difficult days.

Lovin' all of you, my friends,

How long before the pain subsides???? I'm one day post op and in pain

Steph D: Congrats on your banding and welcome to bandland. The pain will subside shortly, within the next few days. If you're having gas, walk,walk,walk,walk to get it moving. Good luck and keep in touch

I am a major stress eater. I know I am, but I can't seem to get a handle on it right now. My aunt will not be buried until next Monday. She wanted to be buried by her first husband at Veteran's cemetery and they won't be open till the 5th. So, this will be a long week. I did start sewing today to get my mind off of eating. It helps.

I know about caring for aging parents. Assisted living is expensive. Fortunately my mother is still in a retirement apartment. She lives in a high rise that has apartments, assisted living, and a nursing home. And being a non profit complex her place is quite affordable. I can sleep at night knowing she can call for help, and they will come right away.

LORI,....AWESOME GOALS!....You can do it!

On a sad note, my mother's sister died last night. It was unexpected. I had to tell my mother even though her heart is bad. Naturally she took it bad. She is 85 and her sister was 83. Anyway, when I got home a little while ago I hit the sliders. I know. I have issues. I have got to get a handle on stress eating. It is my downfall to success......just had to vent and share. Please pray for me. This will be a stressful week with a funeral pending for friday or saturday. I just hope my mother holds up.:)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My band seems to tighten whenever I'm under a lot of stress. Everything gets stuck.