Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi, My name is Janice and I am also 52 and banded 11-05-08. I have been reading for awhile and deceided to jump in because it is easier to change lifestyles and talk to others that are going through the same things. My husband is supportive but we eat different things at different times. He eats by the clock, not when he is hungry and he won't eat chicken or fish. I feel so much better just by eating healthier but I need to exercise more and I hate exercise. My weight loss has stopped , so I sure hope I get some restriction with my next fill because except for a bulge where my port is, I don't feel any different than I did before my band. :thumbdown:

If you ate 1 cup of the special K, you would also have about 13.3 g of Protein, so no difference there. I can easily eat a whole cup of Cereal. I often wonder if there is something wrong with my band. Even when the doctor claims Im restricted as much as she will allow I can eat anything in larger quantities than others here state.

lynn, so sorry to hear about your dog, heart breaking.

LongtoBThin if you are wanting any info on cruising, I'm the cruising Queen, just pm or email me. I probably know more than most TAs and wouldn't be trying to push what will make me commission.

Ihad my cereal this morning, it was all I could do to eat the 1/2 cup and I put about 1/3 skim milk on it. I wanted it to be high in protein just so I got that, but was mostly concerned with as high of Fiber as I could get to help in that department. Think i will just take the box to work and some milk so I don't have to drag in back and forth every day.

The cruise we take this year will be my 12th cruise so have done a lot of cruising. Thanks for the offer. Though we may go to Europe or the Panama Canal and I haven't done either of those yet. I try to stick to Princess first or Royal Carribean second, but go where the deal is. We also get a discount since hubby is (& I used to be) in the travel industry. So I watch the deals all the time. We hope to go this spring but may have to wait til fall or summer with my almost 100 yr old Grandma moving out here this spring. Cruising is my favorite way to vacation. My parents go on about 3 or 4 a year but they always go to the same places, I like to change it up, but usually like the onboard experience more than tons of ports. We did Alaska the past 2 yrs so am ready for some place warm this time.

2 cinder blocks in weight!!! Wow. I often think of those dog food bags or softener salt bags. I couldn't carry 2 of them around the house at one time but yet I seem to carry it on my body all the time. Why is that? Just to keep it in perspective and real -- we should all try and carry that weight we have lost occasionally. Just marvel at how heavy it was. How did we do it? No wonder we were lethargic.

2 cinder blocks in weight!!! Wow. I often think of those dog food bags or softener salt bags. I couldn't carry 2 of them around the house at one time but yet I seem to carry it on my body all the time. Why is that? Just to keep it in perspective and real -- we should all try and carry that weight we have lost occasionally. Just marvel at how heavy it was. How did we do it? No wonder we were lethargic.

I actually tried that today at work. When I went into the gym part to turn on the lights and TV's for the day I saw a 95 lb weight on the weight rack and tried to pick it up. Could barely budge it. Ironically I could carry it on my body but can't pick it up. No wonder I hurt all the time!

Hi, My name is Janice and I am also 52 and banded 11-05-08. I have been reading for awhile and deceided to jump in because it is easier to change lifestyles and talk to others that are going through the same things. My husband is supportive but we eat different things at different times. He eats by the clock, not when he is hungry and he won't eat chicken or fish. I feel so much better just by eating healthier but I need to exercise more and I hate exercise. My weight loss has stopped , so I sure hope I get some restriction with my next fill because except for a bulge where my port is, I don't feel any different than I did before my band. :cursing:

Welcome Janice...

I don't have a DH but a GS who lives we me and we eat differently too - Always have - I don't like hamburger helper he does... I like veggies - he doesn't touch them with a 10 ft pole - My DS was the same way - so I have always cooked 2 meals some days - when I make stuff peppers they get hamburgers. I am lucky though my GS likes fish....

I too was a total slug bug - hated exercise - but each day I went and day by day month by month it does get easier and know what - I like it now... It's not so hard now.... Some days I still have to talk myself into going - but I can tell you without the exercise - I don't think I would have lost the weight that I have... And exercise goes hand in hand with healthy lifestyle..

Your 2nd fill will help - you have don't great so far !!!

Speaking of cereals I got some Kashi Go Lean this weekend to try to up my fiber intake it has 13g Protein and 10 g fiber in 1 cup. Not sure I can do a whole cup in the morning so am going to start today with a half cup.

Also, my email notifications came back this morning. YAHOO!! I got like 43 of them, so must've gotten everyone I missed the past several days.

WOW! That will be the next brand of cereal I try. I am all for protein and fiber. Girl, I could probably do 1 1/2 cups of cereal. I don't have any restriction, but I will get some next Monday.

My emails are back too! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!:cursing::thumbup::cursing:

I found Special K cereal this past week. Never looked for it before, but it had a free gallon of milk if we bought 3 boxes.

Special K Protein Plus

10g protein, 9g net carbs, 5g fiber, 100 calories per serving

It smells like raisen bran, so I suspect it has a lot of bran in it. Pretty good, different than their other cereal.

Yes, I found that new cereal too. I really like it except that i find it too sweet! Who'd a thunk I'd ever complain about that!

I find that with the extra protien it stays with me until lunch.< /span>

Welcome Janice!

If you start exercising, you probably will be like Janet and me. I used to hate it too, but I like it now and it's just part of my routine. It really will help get the weight loss going. do you have a friend that you can go for walks with?

I have been eating the Kashi cereals for a long time. They are high in fiber and Protein for a cereal. I like the

Kashi Crunch better than the rest. I am going to try the

special K.

The only problem is when I eat these cereals, they give me so much gas. It's embarrassing. I haven't been eating them lately, because I am trying to go as carb free as

possible , for now. Sometimes I will have a little bit before I go to the gym, because I feel better and more energetic eating carbs before a hard work out.

I am so sorry for all of you that are losing your pets. My dog is 12 1/2 and she is my first dog. I can't even imagine how painful it will be when the time comes :cursing:

I am so glad I found this site. It is so hard to talk to anyone else that doesn't know how hard it is to look at yourself in the mirror, take control and do something positive that has been such a negative for most of my life. It took me years to even admit to my husband how unhappy I have been with myself.

I am lucky that I don't cook 2 meals, he does fend for himself. He was a widower before I met him, so he can cook some things.

As far as exercise, I bit the bullet and did 1/2 hour of core training with the ball and I walked around our 2 acre property 3 times. It took me thinking pros and cons of why I did the band in the first place and I am committed to do whatever it is I need to do. And, I love how my clothes are getting big and starting to hang on me.:lol:

Hey kids..just popping in to say...........SEE YA in a few days. Will check in once in awhile while we are in FL. Just not sure how much access I will have. Love ya all!!!!!!!!

I am so glad for finding a group where I feel comfortable posting. I am 60 and being banded this Friday, January 16, 2009. I am concerned about taking my Vitamins because I was told the pills can not be bigger than a tylenol tablet.

Can someone share with me how you took vitamins right after surgery.

I have the Centrum chewable, Vitamin B complex which is a gel cap and a big gel cap of liquid Calcium with Vitamin D.< /p>

I am so glad for finding a group where I feel comfortable posting. I am 60 and being banded this Friday, January 16, 2009. I am concerned about taking my Vitamins because I was told the pills can not be bigger than a tylenol tablet.

Can someone share with me how you took vitamins right after surgery.

I have the Centrum chewable, Vitamin B complex which is a gel cap and a big gel cap of liquid Calcium with Vitamin D.

Hi, and WELCOME!!

I've been taking Centrum Chewable/Senior ever since banding without a problem. Vit B gel cap is probably okay, but you might have a problem with the big Calcium cap. Might want to switch to a chewable calcium. I use the ones from costco. And I found some fairly small Vit. C. I take fish oil, too, and most of them are pretty big. But I found some that come in little foil packets... squeeze it out into a SF pudding once a day. It has an orange taste.. kind of pleasant.

15_6_3.gif

Hi, and WELCOME!!

I've been taking Centrum Chewable/Senior ever since banding without a problem. Vit B gel cap is probably okay, but you might have a problem with the big Calcium cap. Might want to switch to a chewable calcium. I use the ones from costco. And I found some fairly small Vit. C. I take fish oil, too, and most of them are pretty big. But I found some that come in little foil packets... squeeze it out into a SF pudding once a day. It has an orange taste.. kind of pleasant.

15_6_3.gif

Phyllser,

Thank-you for your response and I will go shopping for the Vitamins you use. The information you provided is very helpful

Toyster

I, too, get the Centrum silver chewables for my Vitamin. For my Calcium I use the Citracal petites and can swallow those okay. My dr office recommended calcium citrate vs Calcium Carbonate so that is why I get those. There's been a couple occassions right after a fill where I was kindda tight and had to cut the calcium in half. I also cut my glocosamine in half now as those are so big. My vit B, Biotin I can take no problems. Good luck to you and welcome!!