Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

post surgery diet is so different for each surgeon. even in my office the 3 have different views. I had 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks mushie and then regular food.< /strong>

After any issues, pbing, sliming, I will do a day or 2 of liquid to give the site a rest from the irritation..

Hi everyone, I was just banded Monday, it's Wednesday now. I survived! The drugs that everyone so "loves" after surgery only speed me up so this lady hadn't had any sleep until she started taking only liquid tylenol. I'm still "drinking," bouillion with Protein Powder, etc. Tomorrow I get to go to creamy chocolate shakes.< /p>

I had to have a hernia repaired along with my band. Didn't know I even had it. The gas pains have NOT been fun.

I do get inspiration from reading your posts and to see that you have regular (low carb but normal) food in your lives. For some reason, I picture myself always having to have "special food" and I worry about that. I guess I just have to heal, have my first fill in 6 weeks. Right now, had too much of a bite of SF popsicle and could tell it wasn't going down.

But I do love reading your posts. Nice to see that everyone has lost weight, has their ups and downs and you all seem to "get back on the wagon" so to speak. That means everyone is human but the weight loss choice we've made shows we're tuff as nails!

Thank you!

Hi toyster,

With my first banding 4yrs ago it was ice chips for 4days, then clear fluids for 2 weeks. With my 2nd banding June ,08 (different surgeon) I was straight onto sloppy pureed vegies and fluids.

I had no problems taking any tablets at the time.

Best wishes.

:mad2:Wow! Why a second time? I really appreciate your response to my questions.

Toy

Hi everyone, I was just banded Monday, it's Wednesday now. I survived! The drugs that everyone so "loves" after surgery only speed me up so this lady hadn't had any sleep until she started taking only liquid tylenol. I'm still "drinking," bouillion with Protein powder, etc. Tomorrow I get to go to creamy chocolate shakes.

I had to have a hernia repaired along with my band. Didn't know I even had it. The gas pains have NOT been fun.

I do get inspiration from reading your posts and to see that you have regular (low carb but normal) food in your lives. For some reason, I picture myself always having to have "special food" and I worry about that. I guess I just have to heal, have my first fill in 6 weeks. Right now, had too much of a bite of SF popsicle and could tell it wasn't going down.

But I do love reading your posts. Nice to see that everyone has lost weight, has their ups and downs and you all seem to "get back on the wagon" so to speak. That means everyone is human but the weight loss choice we've made shows we're tuff as nails!

Thank you!

:closedeyes:Congratulations on your surgery! Your post most certainly helped me overcome some jitters. I will be banded this Friday the 16th of January. I will be demanding pain meds as I have a low tolerance for pain.

Toy

The reason we say it's only a tool is because head hunger can take over and be mistaken for real stomach growling hunger. Unfortunately, the things we tend to crave like Cookies, chips, ice cream, are the easiest to eat.

The band is meant to work with hard Protein like chicken. We are told to eat protein first, then veggies and some fruit. Foods like chicken need to be chewed until liquid.

If you eat this way, you should not have stomach growling hunger for at least 3 hours.

another sliming event at lunch today. All I ate was a small crabcake..:sneaky:

Gonna take it easy tonight with soft and liquid..

Cold weather is setting in here in Delaware, wind chill near zero, which I know for some is considered warm, but not here!!! Ineed a warm body to snuggle up with, but he is sick..and will not let me administer any TLC, he does not want me to get sick.. so considerate!

The loss my insulation with my weight has made a drastic difference in my internal thermostat.. but definitely not complaining. Protein hot chocolate is a great nighttime drink to help me relax and sleep..

Lynn, from the news reports today and tonight - I think it is COLD everywhere! It will be below zero here tonight (near Kansas City), cold tomorrow - but by mid next week could be 60 again??? You might say we have had our "ups and downs" this winter. We have been fortunate not to have very much snow or ice, however, as many across the country have had. I think we are all looking forward to spring more than usual this year.

What global warming???

Hi everyone, I was just banded Monday, it's Wednesday now. I survived! The drugs that everyone so "loves" after surgery only speed me up so this lady hadn't had any sleep until she started taking only liquid tylenol. I'm still "drinking," bouillion with Protein Powder, etc. Tomorrow I get to go to creamy chocolate shakes.

Thank you!

Happy - Congrats on getting banded.

You now have your tool to help with your portions - but your food choices are up to you - as OregonDaisy (Denise) says - the stuff we tend to want to eat - candy Cookies etc are still easily eaten even with the band and proper restriction -

Our bands are not another form of diet - but a tool to help us make the lifetime lifestyle change in our eating & exercise habits.. For us in the 50 crowd - it's about our health more that it's about looking good (as I call it - it's the icing on the cake - can't say I don't like the way I look cuz I do - but I got banded to extend the years I have left - God willing)

So for me - I have never thought of myself on a diet since I was banded - I eat healthy and exercise - The band helps me feel full on a smaller amount of food - but even when I am full I want to eat more food-- Head Hunger is our real enemy not our stomach hunger - and for me sometimes even now - my head hunger manifest it's self into physical hunger...

One day at a time - this is a whole new learning experience - for me - My band was the tool I needed to put to use all the healthy eating and exercise lessons that I have learn in the past...

Sending sunshine to all my cold weather friends (I losr my cute smiliesy- I was going to send you all a Sun)

Hate to brag - but it was 80 and sunny today...

But you all would die in the summer 115 in the shade

So it's a trade off - but I think I'll take the heat instead of the cold and all that goes with it..

Lynn - You are doing really good - keep up the good job girl..

I agree with the loss of insulation. I have been cold for the last couple of weeks, which is a switch since I am used to having hot flashes.:thumbup: I guess we go through a lot of changes inside and out ,because I have not lost that much weight but I noticed my body has changed and my clothes were starting to hang on me. I went shopping today with gift cards I got at Christmas and I bought clothes that were 2 sizes smaller than the ones I wore into the store. I let out a woo hoo in the dressing room and then thought that others probably really wondered what I was doing in there.:thumbup: I made sure I was not losing my mind and started trying on other clothes to make sure that the pants were not just mis-sized.

Congratulations on your recent banding..now the hard part begins..letting the band work for you....Today I went for my 1 year anniversary check up...my anniversary is actually the 31st of January...I have lost to date 137 lbs..and feel great...no more diabetes meds..no more cholesterol meds...or high blood pressure...listened to the words of wisdom that is offered by the members of this group and you will succeed...good luck on your journey and if I can be of help just ask...bombero

Congratulations on your recent banding..now the hard part begins..letting the band work for you....Today I went for my 1 year anniversary check up...my anniversary is actually the 31st of January...I have lost to date 137 lbs..and feel great...no more diabetes meds..no more cholesterol meds...or high blood pressure...listened to the words of wisdom that is offered by the members of this group and you will succeed...good luck on your journey and if I can be of help just ask...bombero

Hi bombero,You have done great 137lbs in less then a year,I can only hope to do as well.But i will give it my best.My surgery is on the 26th of January:smile:How long did you have diabetes before you had surgery?I was told that if you had it for 10 years or more before surgery that you might not have your diabetes improve.ANY one have a problem with getting off diabetes meds? KERRY

:mad2:Wow! Why a second time? I really appreciate your response to my questions.

Toy

Hi Toyster,

To cut a long story short, the first band slipped after eleven months = very seriously ill.

Found another surgeon and tried again after 4yrs. This surgeon stitches the band to the stomach so there is no chance of it slipping. Also I never, ever had a fill with the first one.

After the first band was out I put all the weight I'd lost back on plus a bit more and was steadily heading upwards on the scales.< /p>

I pestered the new sugeon for ages because I knew this was the only way for me to lose weight and I had confidence in him.

I've lost a total of 36 kilos = 80 lbs since June '08 and although I've had some problems with hernias etc, I now feel more confident, even just to go shopping.

Best wishes.

Hi Bombero,

What a fantastic result, all within one year too. Congratulations:thumbup:.

Have you had any problems during that time?

Best wishes.