Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

:rolleyes:It's been sometime since i 've posted.Life is so good, grandbaby 6 bounced into our life a week early,but is doing great.Lost 3 1/2 pounds in the last two weeks.Nothing sounds good to eat, and don't feel like cooking.BUSY EXERCISEING EVERYDAY AND THAT ALWAYS PICKS UP MY SPIRTS. Honey, got me 3 pair of slacks for Christmas, had to take them back was 16-18 ladies, down to 10-12 pettie.Wow who would have thought..Let's all just get out there and move it.. Have a great day.

Hi Charlietuna,

Congratulations on your new grandaughters birth. They are so very special. What a wonderful feeling it is to return clothes that are "too big". I still find myself going to the larger fitting areas and then realizing "Hey, I'm in normal sizes now".

Best wishes.

Hi All, I've gotten so much inspiration from reading your posts. At the age of 55, I'm being banded on Jan. 12, 2009 and wonder if I'm "too old" to lose my 120 pounds? I'm type 2 diabetic and am concerned about "lows" after being banded and am wondering if there's anyone out there that has gone through that? :tongue2:

Happy in TN!

Im planning on losing 120 lbs or so myself. Im 58, so no, I dont think 55 is too old :) I am high enough sugar levels that I qualfied for a diabetes study, borderline. The insulin spiking was another reason I jumped in and got banded, even though I was self pay, decided saving my life was worth it.

Of course you can do it, but you have to be ready and work at it too.

I thought it was in you HIGH opinion! LOL..Have to give you crap!:tongue2:

I thought it was In My Honest Opinion :)

I have to be careful of those Protein Bars. Am I the only one having GAS problems? I have horrible gas. I have started taking Beano. Most of those Protein bars have that sugar alcohol in them.

If I eat anything with sugar alcohol in it, forget it. You can't be in the same room as me all day or night. My daughter gets so mad at me.

I tell her I can't help it. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I have gas all the time, but I know that sugar alcohol or malitol makes it 1000xx times worse.

I have to be careful of those Protein Bars. Am I the only one having GAS problems? I have horrible gas. I have started taking Beano. Most of those Protein bars have that sugar alcohol in them.

If I eat anything with sugar alcohol in it, forget it. You can't be in the same room as me all day or night. My daughter gets so mad at me.

I tell her I can't help it. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I have gas all the time, but I know that sugar alcohol or malitol makes it 1000xx times worse.

Sorry you have to deal with a gas problem, Denise (Well, guess I feel more sorry for your daughter LOL). It's not funny and I know you have mentioned it b/4. I had gas the first three months and then it just went away one day. I truly believed during that time that I could have self-propelled myself anywhere I wanted to go! I don't think I could function without my Protein Bar at least once a day. It really fills a void....I feel like I'm getting a real treat and it incorporates protein into my diet at the same time.

Have you checked with your doc about being gassy? I guess the first few months it is expected but not continuously? I could be wrong. :tongue2:

Hi Oregondaisy,

You are not alone and I can wholeheartedly relate to you and your daughter. I'm forever burping loud and clear like a bushpig and my daughter gets really disgusted. I've appologised and told her if I swallow the gas it makes me suffer with pain. They are never small polite burps, they're full on bushpig ones. I can't go out anywhere with friends because of this. My surgeon says it's the band but that doesn't help much.

Please let me know if and when you find anything to stop it.

Best wishes.

i am wondering about losing alot of weight whether one face wrinkles. the adipose tissue under the skin goes and must cause some problems. I am always being told how young I look but it is really that the wrinkles are flushed out with fat. is this a problem for any one or does the face cope because the wieght lose is slow. I know I sound shallow as it is the health benefits that are important but......

i am wondering about losing alot of weight whether one face wrinkles. the adipose tissue under the skin goes and must cause some problems. I am always being told how young I look but it is really that the wrinkles are flushed out with fat. is this a problem for any one or does the face cope because the wieght lose is slow. I know I sound shallow as it is the health benefits that are important but......

Hi Miranda,

I know what you mean. I've lost 34 kilos = 75 lbs since June '08 and have found that I've now developed tiny wrinkles lengthwise down my neck and odd places like my underarms. I'm always joking that the fat filled them out before. The best part I like is that I don't have the puffed toad face and neck that I used to have. I'll settle for a few wrinkles anyday instead of that horrible bloated look. Gosh, it doesn't make you shallow at all. We all like to look our best and I for one couldn't have succeeded without the banding, even if I do have a problem with rotten gas/burping.

I am not a fanatic with skin cleansing routines etc but I do moisturise every morning before putting makeup on. Not expensive stuff, just Sorbolene with Vitamin E.

Best wishes.

Ya'll are sooo funny! (Ok, I'm from the south, we say "ya'll" a lot) I thank you for the support in your postings, I'm sure you remember facing being banded and were glad to have any info you could get. I, too, am very worried about wrinkles as everyone says I look so young but my answer to them has always been that all the fat fills out my wrinkles! Oh well, healthy is good and I earned each and every wrinkle. :thumbup:

One of these days, I'll be posting about my 120 pound weight loss and hopefully giving inspiration to a newbie, just as ya'll have done for me.

Thank you! Smiles from Nashville...:thumbup:

Yep, I'll take the wrinkles instead of the 'toad face' any day! I'd rather be 50 and be healthy with a few wrinkles anyday instead of 'flush with fat' and wrinkless but with a host of comorbidities due to the fat anyday. So far the worst is the neck.

Speaking of fat loss, I am finally down today that is after my holiday gain, new territory! I am at 92.7, but am calling it 93!! Also did my measurements and lost everywhere most places an inch! WOO HOO!!! I joined a Valentines Day challenge in another thread with the goal of hitting 100 lbs gone by then. Whodda thunk it???

I am in NZ and it is nice to see postings from this end of the world!!! although banding seems well established in Aus it is a realtivly new penominum here and I dont know any one who has had it done so I feel a little isolated. I think that attitudes to food are different down here and there is not such a dependence on convenience foods with most having vegetable gardens and even chickens in there back gardens. the Organic/green movment is very strong here and it certalinly makes a difference.

Well, I may have traded an extra chin or two for a few extra wrinkles... mostly in my neck, but according to my friends, I look younger in the face. One of my Facebook friends just commented that each picture I post looks younger than the one before...she says... 43???

:thumbup::biggrin::thumbup:

let's see, fat face or a few wrinkles... my choice is a few wrinkles. Face as well as thighs, arms.. Luckily my upper arms are not too bad. I am hoping exercise helps out with that. I have a Tummy Tuck planned in my future. but not sure when, need to lose about 25-30 more #. I am jsut so pleased with the results so far.. I smile every time I look in the mirror :thumbup:

Also, have issues with gas. mostly silent ones..and when I leaast expect it..HELP!!!

Yep, I'll take the wrinkles instead of the 'toad face' any day! I'd rather be 50 and be healthy with a few wrinkles anyday instead of 'flush with fat' and wrinkless but with a host of comorbidities due to the fat anyday. So far the worst is the neck.

Speaking of fat loss, I am finally down today that is after my holiday gain, new territory! I am at 92.7, but am calling it 93!! Also did my measurements and lost everywhere most places an inch! WOO HOO!!! I joined a Valentines Day challenge in another thread with the goal of hitting 100 lbs gone by then. Whodda thunk it???

I second that opinion! I just feel so much better. My only regret is that I didn't do it a few years sooner. Yea! Woo Hoo!! I joined the Valentine Challenge on the July Butterflies. I think all of us 50 & over gang ought to do it too. And those who have met goal ought to just maintain exercise and good health.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey Indigo Girl and other fabulous 50's and over. I am newly banded and 55 years old. I am a newby and would love to be a contributing member of the group. I need some advice and support, and I have learned through this site, that this is the place to be. I was banded on Dec 19th. :tt2: