Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

57 minutes ago, TheMe-ISee said:

I have been vacillating for almost two years about having weight loss surgery. I’m still SO anxious! My surgery is next Wednesday, the 14th. I am on my 1000 calorie/mostly Protein Shake pre-surgery diet. I am already missing food. I am looking forward to not having hunger pains and pangs.
I wish everyone a successful surgery, uneventful recovery and continuing success!

You’ve got this. I originally thought this surgery was barbaric and here I had it done yesterday. It went well. It wasn’t bad at all. It was like I blinked my eyes and it was done and I was in my room. I did it for health reasons. I take 4-5 insulin shots a day. I have a CPAP macine and so many other things. I gotta tell you girl I’m in no pain, have no hunger, and walking with no assistance. It’s unbelievable! Do I still think it’s barbaric—-NO WAY!

7 minutes ago, AmandaD. said:

We’ll, had my first post op coughing fit… that was extremely unpleasant lol

Girl me too. Surgery yesterday and coughing fit and 2 sneezes. So not pleasant

I apologize if this isn’t the right spot to let things out because everyone of y’all have been doing so good in your journey and I caught the funk and really don’t want to spread it.

I’m about a week out from surgery and yesterday I made dinner for the family for the first time. I’m still strictly liquid but thought I should help my wife with the boys (1 1/2 and 5). I made them one of my favorites because it’s my eldest favorite too , rotisserie chicken salad with all the goodness. I wanted to eat it so bad!! I thought about licking their food, and I wanted to cry. I pulled it together and we ate dinner together, then with their food and me with broth. I made them dinner again tonight, salmon Brussels sprouts and rice. I was not as strong as yesterday, I cried dishing their plates, I even put some salmon in my mouth and sucked on it (I spit it out). I had to go to my room and cry.
also I realize that this past week I have not been keeping up on my happy pills because I used to take all my meds at once and simply can’t do that anymore.

I appreciate this space to type, complain and share victories.
🤟🏾

37 minutes ago, £€@h said:

I apologize if this isn’t the right spot to let things out because everyone of y’all have been doing so good in your journey and I caught the funk and really don’t want to spread it.

I’m about a week out from surgery and yesterday I made dinner for the family for the first time. I’m still strictly liquid but thought I should help my wife with the boys (1 1/2 and 5). I made them one of my favorites because it’s my eldest favorite too , rotisserie chicken salad with all the goodness. I wanted to eat it so bad!! I thought about licking their food, and I wanted to cry. I pulled it together and we ate dinner together, then with their food and me with broth. I made them dinner again tonight, salmon Brussels sprouts and rice. I was not as strong as yesterday, I cried dishing their plates, I even put some salmon in my mouth and sucked on it (I spit it out). I had to go to my room and cry.
also I realize that this past week I have not been keeping up on my happy pills because I used to take all my meds at once and simply can’t do that anymore.

I appreciate this space to type, complain and share victories.
🤟🏾

Please do not think that you are the only one in that situation, there are many of us exactly as you are. We understand your pain. Maybe you can talk to the wife and let her know that this is not the time for you to cook. I told my husband no, and that is it. That does not mean no cooking forever. That means no cooking right now when your hormones are all over the place and your body is trying to adjust and survive. She will understand, she loves you and she wants you around the boys as a grandpa. You will get through this. Please also do not think that everyone here has great experiences. I had my gastric bypass on Monday and my surgery experience was awful! I had to be placed on opioids and muscle relaxants to subdue the pain. I was literally screaming in pain post op. They sent me home today with both opioids and muscle relaxants and I have to be on blood thinners for 30 days and inject those in my tummy 3 times per day. Not your usual gastric bypass, and hiatal hernia surgery experience, all hurts like hell. We struggle but we will overcome and our families will appreciate us healthier. 😀

Hello Everyone! My surgery is on June 19th. I am so excited yet nervous!!!!!!..

£@h - how are you doing? I so wish i could talk to you in person. Lets be lar about something - we have all gone through a major life change that out bodies and minds might take a little time to catch up with and get used to. Our surgery is not a cure - rather it is a tool to support our decision to become healthier. What it is not is another tool with which to beat ourselves up with. I think sometimes and depending upon the circumstances, we sometimes distort the meaning of strength. I think preparing food, resisting the temptation in whatever form, becoming tearful and recovering from that shows great strength from someone who is battling the disease of obesity. We have had a longstanding relationship with food, albeit one that is dysfunctional. The food we trusted in a complex way because it was always available for us when 'needed' it to manage an emotion or whatever else. We now have something new (our surgery) to support us but it may take some of us a little time to wholly trust in and work with our new surgery and depend upon it like we could our food. It is perhaps true to say that we may all experience blips in the road on this journey. You demonstrated great strength in resisting, carrying on and sharing your experience. You got this honey, and at the times you don't - we are here to lift you. Stay with it my friend and thanks for sharing xxx

On 6/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, AmandaD. said:

Surgery done! Staying in the hospital 3 days just monitoring Fluid. Leak test around midnight tonight and if I’m cleared they want me to try Soup and Jello. I have to be honest, I was in a lot more pain waking up than I thought. Gas pains are awful, a little better now with walking but wow. Good luck to everyone this week & those who had their surgeries today! We did it!

I cannot agree more! The pain I woke up with was awful! I asked my surgeon why is everyone having such a nice easy experience with this surgery and I do not. I think reading this blog we have unrealistic expectations of feeling perfect and forget that each of us might, just might have a different experience. My tummy feels like I have about 4 sea otters moving around at all times and competing with each other on what to kick around. 😀

I understand I haven't even had my surgery yet, and I'm on my strict liquids right now and this is the hardest thing i ever had to do, my son-in-law was in the kitchen cooking two ribeye steaks and I was like my God I could lick the air and I had to go in my room and put a mask on to keep from smelling the steaks, I made my grandchildren sloppy joes it took everything in my power not to just go up in there and just eat it out the pan, so I understand those Temptations are so hard but I fault through it fight through it, as mentioned above in another comment you're not the only. My Birthday was 2 days ago and I was drinking on chicken broth and Protein Shakes, as bad as I wanted to break and have me some wings and fries. You're not alone, sorry for the long post.

My surgery date is June 23rd, I'm a nervous wreck and I'm absolutely NOT looking forward to the clear liquid diet. I'm thankful that my surgeon is only making me do a week. I've read and seen videos of people having to go 3-4 weeks or more!

Edited by TRClark23

On 6/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, nikki1203 said:

Happy Birthday !!!

Happy Birthday 🎉

Had my surgery yesterday morning. Upon waking the Gas pains and nausea were bad… I was not expecting it to be that bad, it was truly a Struggle. I am much better now thankfully, sipping on my liquids and hopefully going home today. Very excited for all of us starting this journey! For all of you struggling right now, hang in there! And know that there are many of us in the same boat and rooting for you!