Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I had the sleeve done yesterday. It was a midday op, and I was able to get out and about by the evening. Walking is all good but my stamina has dropped significantly… so we all need to pace ourselves!

I don’t really have much pain, like what some of the others have posted here it’s more of the bloating sensation and tightness around the lungs from the insufflation of the tummy during the op. There’s significant referred pain to the shoulders as well from the diaphragm.

I’ve only dared to sip Water so far, and when I swallowed one of the painkiller tablets while I had a pretty bad wave of nausea but thankfully didn’t throw up. Warm water seems to help a lot more, and looking forward to clearing the leak tests so I can switch that to a peppermint tea.

Wishing everyone with surgery coming up all the very best! You’re not alone in this :)

4 minutes ago, DavidKT said:

Hi everyone, I had the sleeve done yesterday. It was a midday op, and I was able to get out and about by the evening. Walking is all good but my stamina has dropped significantly… so we all need to pace ourselves!

I don’t really have much pain, like what some of the others have posted here it’s more of the bloating sensation and tightness around the lungs from the insufflation of the tummy during the op. There’s significant referred pain to the shoulders as well from the diaphragm.

I’ve only dared to sip Water so far, and when I swallowed one of the painkiller tablets while I had a pretty bad wave of nausea but thankfully didn’t throw up. Warm Water seems to help a lot more, and looking forward to clearing the leak tests so I can switch that to a peppermint tea.

Wishing everyone with surgery coming up all the very best! You’re not alone in this :)

Yesssss…. Congratulations 🎊 mine is it tomorrow 6/6

Awwwww - David, I sure am glad to see yo on the other side. Pleased things have gone well for you and that you are up and about - I know they try to get you up and about as soon as possible.

I had my surgery on 1st and am still doing ok. I too am pacing myself and can now drink almost the required minimum litre and a half of Water per day and am also getting better at getting in pureed Proteins. Went out for a longer walk today to get some banana's to puree with Protein yoghurt - it was a longer walk but i just rested up a little afterward. Getting stronger with each day.

For those of you having surgery on 6th - go on - you got this xx

On 6/4/2023 at 6:07 PM, Lizrios said:

Hello everyone! I am out of surgery and just woke up! I received a mixture of pain medication including fentanyl. I have almost no pain. I am coughing a lot from the tube they inserted. My surgery took 7 hours without prep because they had to do much more than the gastric bypass roux en y. I would say that overall I am ok and that it was more difficult than I initially thought it will be. For those of you still on the liquid diet, please please keep it up. My surgeon said that he could see where the liver was once enlarged, and that he could see the shadow, so that liquid diet I hated so much did something! 😀I did not sleep at all the night before the surgery because of the Miralax. TMI, but going to the bathroom through the whole night and the early morning in the hospital prior to surgery made it horrible. It might not happen to others, but my body reacted that way. Another very important thing, that my husband shared, I was not awaken yet, please tell the nurse to talk to the transport team not to roll you over from the sling they transport you after the surgery into your post op bed. They wanted to do that to me and my husband stopped them. Last but not least and most important of all, I was happy when I opened my eyes! This is the first day of the rest of my life! 😀

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by MarisAthena
Correction

So happy that all went well for you with the sleeve, but that sounds really scary I mean my sleeve is next Tuesday and I keep hearing about the lungs diaphragm and that sounds so scary!! What ate your shoulders sore? I'm trying to understand the lingo

Maris! Welcome to the rest of your life! A seven hour surgery?! What happened? Were you anticipating that long of a surgery? So glad your on!

1 hour ago, Carla Ogwin said:

So happy that all went well for you with the sleeve, but that sounds really scary I mean my sleeve is next Tuesday and I keep hearing about the lungs diaphragm and that sounds so scary!! What ate your shoulders sore? I'm trying to understand the lingo

The pain in the chest (for me) is from deep breaths. The doc fixed a large hernia while he was operating and that is the reason I have some extra pain. It’s mostly high near the shoulder, the real concern is painful normal breaths and shortness of breath.

Wishing everyone the best of Luck and success with your upcoming surgeries! And to everyone on the other side, I am so glad to hear all is going well! Sending you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery! To new beginnings!!! <3 sooo excited for all of us! Big hugs all around June buddies!

1 hour ago, £€@h said:

Maris! Welcome to the rest of your life! A seven hour surgery?! What happened? Were you anticipating that long of a surgery? So glad your on!

I was anticipating a long surgery. They did several procedures in one so this is why it was so long. Please do not worry at all. Thank you for caring!

1 hour ago, £€@h said:

The pain in the chest (for me) is from deep breaths. The doc fixed a large hernia while he was operating and that is the reason I have some extra pain. It’s mostly high near the shoulder, the real concern is painful normal breaths and shortness of breath.

My doctor told me tonight that the ring shaped pain I have around my chest is from the hiatal hernia repair and corresponding sutures/closings and it is absolutely normal.

2 hours ago, MarisAthena said:

Hello everyone! I am out of surgery and just woke up! I received a mixture of pain medication including fentanyl. I have almost no pain. I am coughing a lot from the tube they inserted. My surgery took 7 hours without prep because they had to do much more than the gastric bypass roux en y. I would say that overall I am ok and that it was more difficult than I initially thought it will be. For those of you still on the liquid diet, please please keep it up. My surgeon said that he could see where the liver was once enlarged, and that he could see the shadow, so that liquid diet I hated so much did something! 😀I did not sleep at all the night before the surgery because of the Miralax. TMI, but going to the bathroom through the whole night and the early morning in the hospital prior to surgery made it horrible. It might not happen to others, but my body reacted that way. Another very important thing, that my husband shared, I was not awaken yet, please tell the nurse to talk to the transport team not to roll you over from the sling they transport you after the surgery into your post op bed. They wanted to do that to me and my husband stopped them. Last but not least and most important of all, I was happy when I opened my eyes! This is the first day of the rest of my life! 😀

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

So sorry for all the pics, tried to delete them, they do not delete. That’s what happens when you write just out of general anesthesia. 🤣

3 hours ago, sharonwg said:

Awwwww - David, I sure am glad to see yo on the other side. Pleased things have gone well for you and that you are up and about - I know they try to get you up and about as soon as possible.

I had my surgery on 1st and am still doing ok. I too am pacing myself and can now drink almost the required minimum litre and a half of Water per day and am also getting better at getting in pureed Proteins. Went out for a longer walk today to get some banana's to puree with Protein yoghurt - it was a longer walk but i just rested up a little afterward. Getting stronger with each day.

For those of you having surgery on 6th - go on - you got this xx

So happy to hear the news and the fact that you are doing well. It gives me hope for the near future! Good night from the hospital bed! 😀

I had my surgery yesterday. Woke up in my room to kinda bad gas pains I’m my lower stomach. I was given pain medicine and it helped a lot . Also burping as much as I could really made a difference. Feeling much better this morning just tender and little tinges of pain here and there