Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, kla7403 said:

I had my surgery yesterday. Woke up in my room to kinda bad gas pains I’m my lower stomach. I was given pain medicine and it helped a lot . Also burping as much as I could really made a difference. Feeling much better this morning just tender and little tinges of pain here and there

Glad to hear it was successful. So happy for you! Go forth and live your new life!

You guys are the real stars of the show! to those of you who had surgery yesterday - whoop whoop! 7 hours surgery was a massive marathon of an op and I felt a little emotional when you said you awoke happy. I am so grateful for your surgeon - sounds like they did a great job xx.

Hey Liziros - I'm right here and have been posting daily 😎. All is well here and I'm feeling pretty good. I managed to sleep on my stomach yesterday, which is my favoured position and slept for a LONG time - I've been sleeping well anyway but missed sleeping on my tummy! You're up next, Liz - don't worry honey. I hope the post op stories have offered you some comfort and reassurance.

I'm taking in Water pretty well and am managing to get in the pureed foods a little more each day. I'm so pleased with the decision I have made. I am 5 days post op and inclusive of the pre-op diet, I am 20lbs down xx

Oh my goodness, thank God to each and everyone of you, much success to all. So wonderful to hear that everyone is doing great, I am looking forward to my day. I hated drinking the broth and everything but I made my own chicken broth and it made things a whole lot better I love my chicken broth so I'm making sure that I keep up the liquid diet because it is very important to shrink that liver. Sending love hugs and prayers to everyone

Hi Liziros. I think it is natural to feel a number of emotions just before your surgery, one of those being fear. I would not say I was scared because I had had much conversation with my medical team and surgeon. In fact, i spoke to my surgeon the night before my surgery and i think owing to that, i was sufficiently contained and satisfied that it would be ok. I think i was a mixture of a little nervous and excited when i was advised my surgeon was ready to operate but every one, including the anaesthetist, was so jovial and light in mood that it was hard not to feel more relaxed above anything else. There are a small number of us now who have had the surgery and have come through it the other side in good spirits. I hope you can take some comfort in that xxx

Hi everyone. Happy to hear that those of you who have had their surgeries so far are doing well. I had my RNY on Friday (June 2). Overall, I guess I am doing well.

However I am having a very bad allergic reaction to what I assume is the mastisol they used to adhere the steri-strips over the incisions. I am feeling so angry about this because I had this same reaction in April when I had my LapBand removed. In April, however, the rashes (red, raised, scaly, with tiny pustules) were contained to little ovals around the 4 incisions. At that follow up appointment - which was also the pre-op appointment for this RNY surgery - the surgeon said “it’s a mastisol allergy, we won’t use it for the RNY.” I was satisfied with this and was looking forward to surgery.

When surgery day came, I told every nurse that worked with me about the mastisol allergy. Several nurses worked together to try to figure out how to document the allergy in my medical record. When I met with the surgeon just prior to surgery, I again brought up the mastisol allergy. He said he would use a different surgical adhesive. I felt confident that this was handled.

The day after surgery, I began feeling an itchiness across my belly where most of the incisions are. They had the abdominal binder on me most of the time so I really couldn’t see my belly until I came home. But by that evening (Saturday) I noticed the same red, raised rash around all of the incisions. On Monday, the rash was now widespread over my belly, extending several inches beyond the incisions. It is extremely itchy and has progressed with some tiny pustules already (back in April, the tiny pustules didn’t happen until over a week after surgery).

I read the operative report in my online patient portal and sure enough, the last line states “mastisol and steri-strips applied.” I can not believe this.

I called the clinic yesterday and the nurse said “it’s going to get worse.” She said to take Benadryl and use anti-itch cream but to avoid the incisions. This has been taking the edge off a bit but not nearly enough for me to be comfortable.

I think reactions like this are pretty rare, so I’m not trying to scare anyone. I’m just feeling so very, very frustrated right now to have to deal with this on top of the usual post-op stuff of trying to stay hydrated, etc.

Cat lady! I’m so sorry. You did all the right things, telling everyone who came into contact with you about the allergy, and still you were ignored. Oy. If you ever need surgery again maybe sharpie the instructions next to the site.
hope it goes away soon🤞🏾

Surgery day tomorrow and I’m starting to freak out lol worried about the pain I’ll be in waking up and that first initial sip of Water 😩

Oh Cat - you poor thing! It's enough having to negotiate your new bypass without the added irritation and frustration of an allergic reaction under these circumstances! So sorry that has been your experience. I hope you feel more comfortable soon. Sending you virtual hugs xx

Hi Amanda - most if not all of us June buddies who have had our surgery have not really had post op pain - I hope that will be your experience. I think the thing about sipping Water may just be a matter of mind over matter - it really is not so hard or daunting. Promise. xx

47 minutes ago, AmandaD. said:

Surgery day tomorrow and I’m starting to freak out lol worried about the pain I’ll be in waking up and that first initial sip of Water 😩

I’m tomorrow too! I feel my heart racing! I tell myself that I can do this. I guess we are worrying too much about the pain. Good surgery results are coming our way. We will both be fine. God is good! My surgery is at 2:15 pm. What about you! I keep thinking about the Bible verse that says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phillipians 4:11

On 06/06/2023 at 11:44, Lizrios said:

I’m tomorrow too! I feel my heart racing! I tell myself that I can do this. I guess we are worrying too much about the pain. Good surgery results are coming our way. We will both be fine. God is good! My surgery is at 2:15 pm. What about you! I keep thinking about the Bible verse that says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phillipians 4:11

Good luck tomorrow!! I won’t know when I go tomorrow until this afternoon. I don’t know why they wait so last minute, that’s another thing bothering me is I don’t even know my surgery time. I’m hoping morning so I can just get this over with!

1 hour ago, Lizrios said:

I'm tomorrow with you and Amanda, and yeah girl, I'm freaking out too. I'm at work, and training a new person, so I've been occupied and not able to freak out much this morning, but yeah, I'm so nervous. I hate being put under. Horrible fear of mine. I'm still doing it too, but I'm just scared. And I'm nervous that shenanigans will happen when I get there due to some issues I had to pre-admission testing.

Sending prayers to everyone this whole week to everyone that's having surgery this week mine's is on Tuesday the 13th I'm so excited my surgery I have to be at the hospital at 7:00 but I'm going to get there between 6:00 and 6:30 to make sure there is no mistakes in time