Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Maggie - its so very nice to have you join us here. Of course you are feeling a sense of loss; we have had a long standing relationship with food and food was reliable and available if we wanted it, despite it ultimately making us so very miserable. You are grieving the loss of a deep and complicated relationship. Let it go - its a bad relationship and your surgery will support a much healthier union between you and food.

I had my surgery on 1st June, having completed a two week liquid diet. Its hard - there is no getting away from it. You are going to have to dig really deep honey; its only 2 weeks and you will soon be there. You can do it - believe you got this.

Dear Carla - try not to spend too much time worrying about the weight you are not losing at this stage. Maybe follow the advice your medical team has given you without your own modifications and see what happens honey. Relax beautiful girl - don't stress at this early stage xx

For all of you who have surgery tomorrow, I am so with you in spirit and prayers. Can't wait to see you on the other side - 🤗

3 minutes ago, sharonwg said:

Hi Maggie - its so very nice to have you join us here. Of course you are feeling a sense of loss; we have had a long standing relationship with food and food was reliable and available if we wanted it, despite it ultimately making us so very miserable. You are grieving the loss of a deep and complicated relationship. Let it go - its a bad relationship and your surgery will support a much healthier union between you and food.

I had my surgery on 1st June, having completed a two week liquid diet. Its hard - there is no getting away from it. You are going to have to dig really deep honey; its only 2 weeks and you will soon be there. You can do it - believe you got this.

Dear Carla - try not to spend too much time worrying about the weight you are not losing at this stage. Maybe follow the advice your medical team has given you without your own modifications and see what happens honey. Relax beautiful girl - don't stress at this early stage xx

For all of you who have surgery tomorrow, I am so with you in spirit and prayers. Can't wait to see you on the other side - 🤗

Wow thank you! I needed this! Like I really needed this! You are absolutely right, it will be so worth it, haha I’m actually crying right now cause I needed someone to remind me how very miserable food made me, it was only good for the moment, and the misery and shame I felt was unbearable… we need more kind beautiful people like you in the world and thank you again I just screen shot your message to read when I feel like this because your so right … how are you feeling? Congratulations on your surgery!!! Tell me how it’s been going? If you don’t mind

3 hours ago, Maggie rose said:

I am sorry that has to be super hard, I am not a diabetic so I don’t know any advice but did you reach out to your Dr. and let him know it’s dropping? I am just struggling with my relationship with food and I definitely have a good addiction so it feels like I’m mourning something, idk if that sounds silly, but I am mourning my relationship with food and it is way harder then I thought

Not silly. Food funerals are real. Before my surgery I had wings and ice cream. Now that surgery is over I’m not feeling hungry I don’t have cravings either. I can smell the bacon my wife has cooked and it has no appeal. There is such a connection with food, making plans with friends visiting family… all have something to do with food. Would t it be nice to have someone say hey let’s get together and skip rocks at the lake or something. Stay strong and you are aloud to mourn.

Maggie - I am doing ok. I didn't need any pain relief following the dose they provide you out of surgery and feel very lucky to be generally pain free. I came home yesterday and feel comfortable; I am here alone and actually quite like the peace and quiet of settling into my new routine. Actually, I have my 2 adorable little kitties to keep me company x. I'm doing ok I think - I have my first follow up with the nurse tomorrow. I'm very excited for myself and all you beautiful people xx

On 6/1/2023 at 11:14 PM, nece71367 said:

June 22nd will be here before I know it. I’m so ready for this new journey. I’m so tired of feeling this way about how I look and ache all over, my poor -very supportive husband thinks I don’t love him because I avoid sex due to my insecurities. My body grosses me out, he doesn’t understand that it should be enough for me that he loves me and doesn’t care about my weight, but it matters to me🤦🏽‍♀️

I’m right there with you. I start pre op diet Monday and I’m ready to go. Bring it on.

UPDATE- went out for ice cream with my kids yesterday and had some pizza today. Im ready to rock and roll tomorrow morning!!

Edited by southernmomofive

9 minutes ago, £€@h said:

Not silly. food funerals are real. Before my surgery I had wings and ice cream. Now that surgery is over I’m not feeling hungry I don’t have cravings either. I can smell the bacon my wife has cooked and it has no appeal. There is such a connection with food, making plans with friends visiting family… all have something to do with food. Would t it be nice to have someone say hey let’s get together and skip rocks at the lake or something. Stay strong and you are aloud to mourn.

Yes the connection to food and every activity is literally so eye opening, the other night I wouldn’t go to the movies because sitting there not eating did not seem at all worth it to me, I am curious how much of me is actual hunger and how much is mental, cause I’d bet most is mental … congrats on your surgery! How are you feeling? It’s nice to know the cravings may go away ❤️

6 minutes ago, sharonwg said:

Maggie - I am doing ok. I didn't need any pain relief following the dose they provide you out of surgery and feel very lucky to be generally pain free. I came home yesterday and feel comfortable; I am here alone and actually quite like the peace and quiet of settling into my new routine. Actually, I have my 2 adorable little kitties to keep me company x. I'm doing ok I think - I have my first follow up with the nurse tomorrow. I'm very excited for myself and all you beautiful people xx

I’m glad you’re doing well and your cutie kitties are taking care of you! Sometimes healing alone is the absolute best! You have a kindness about you that I adore!

2 minutes ago, southernmomofive said:

I’m right there with you. I start pre op diet Monday and I’m ready to go. Bring it on.

UPDATE- went out for ice cream with my kids yesterday and had some pizza today. Im ready to rock and roll tomorrow morning!!

Haha yesssss that is the spirit happy and proud of you!

I’ve been home for 24 hours and the surgery pain is tolerable, but like the doc said keep on top of it because it’s hard to play catch up. I got a wicked headache this morning and have been taking Tylenol. I am sleeping in a recliner and can’t wait to get back in bed. I like to sleep on my stomach so who knows when that will happen. I went for a pudding and ate a few bites and about threw up. I think it’s too thick and sweet. I have a tightness around my lungs and can’t seem to take a big breath. I’m learning not to chug Water and I’m terrified of throwing up. Thanks everyone for support advice and stories!

5 minutes ago, £€@h said:

I’ve been home for 24 hours and the surgery pain is tolerable, but like the doc said keep on top of it because it’s hard to play catch up. I got a wicked headache this morning and have been taking Tylenol. I am sleeping in a recliner and can’t wait to get back in bed. I like to sleep on my stomach so who knows when that will happen. I went for a pudding and ate a few bites and about threw up. I think it’s too thick and sweet. I have a tightness around my lungs and can’t seem to take a big breath. I’m learning not to chug Water and I’m terrified of throwing up. Thanks everyone for support advice and stories!

That seems like a lot and I appreciate the honesty, did the dr say the big breath thing is typical? Also oh **** sleeping I didn’t even think of that I’m a belly sleeper too! Was there pain when you had the pudding or your body just didn’t like the taste of it?

25 minutes ago, Maggie rose said:

That seems like a lot and I appreciate the honesty, did the dr say the big breath thing is typical? Also oh **** sleeping I didn’t even think of that I’m a belly sleeper too! Was there pain when you had the pudding or your body just didn’t like the taste of it?

I don’t recall if the doc said the big breath tightness is normal. I have a follow up tomorrow and will ask. There wasn’t pain when I ate the pudding but nausea immediately. And the sweetness was overwhelming.

1 hour ago, sharonwg said:

food funeral..... I had ice cream and boy did I bury the hell out of it 🤣

Sharon, I’m so glad I saw your post to Maggie! I’ve been praying for you. I knew you were by yourself and just had the surgery. I’m so glad you are doing great. God is good. You’re my inspiration.

1 hour ago, £€@h said:

You did it! Congratulations! Mine is Wednesday, June 7. I hope I’m as lucky as you. Blessings! Speedy recovery!