Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

American Idol '08

smatyas

I know I've mentioned this before, but is anybody else annoyed with David Archuletta's deep intakes of breath right before each sentence? It drives me nuts! his voice is great, but everytime he sucks in for air it makes this weird sound and distracts me. I wish one of the judges would just call him on it one time. None of the other singers do it!

Yeah, I think someone coached him to quit licking his lips, but they forgot to tell him to knock of the gasping. I thought it was funny when Andrew Lloyd Weber told him to open his eyes, too.

Maybe he has asthma or something. I have athletes asthma and even when I sing sometimes I get short of breath and sometimes wheeze.

Maybe he has asthma or something. I have athletes asthma and even when I sing sometimes I get short of breath and sometimes wheeze.

I hadn't thought about that. I'll cut him a break on it I guess, but it really doesn't sound like an asthmatic wheeze as much as just a noisy gasp. :cool2:

I agree it is very noticeable but it is probably something that he can't control? I dunno. They can take care of that in the studio when he is recording. :cool2:

He jsust looks like a little twerp. Your best friends punk little brother, not an American Idol. I know he can sing, but man, he gets on my nerves.

Until this season, I always watched the funny first auditions, then tuned in for the last 3 weeks to see who won. Has it always been this way? I thought they gave them a theme like.. "60's" and they got to pick 60's songs.

Have they always done a whole week of a certain artist? Dolly Parton, ALW, Neil Diamond, etc? I think it sucks honestly, we're not getting to see them shine, we're getting to see them mildly adapt to being made to sing songs.

Fairy, they did used to pick a certain genre and let the contestant pick songs by various artists, a long time ago. I especially remember season 1 the week they did "Big Band". They got to chose the song and artist. Of course, that was back in 2002(?), I think.

On later seasons, I think I remember them doing "Motown", "Country Rock", "Billboard #1 hits", "Broadway", "Disco", "The year you were born song", and many more I can't think of right now.

I loved it when it was mixed up like that. I really wish they would reconsider doing this "featured artist" every week.

I feel the same way you do, I don't want to hear 10 songs from the same artist. Maybe they will change it up again soon.

Edited by georgia girl

He jsust looks like a little twerp. Your best friends punk little brother, not an American Idol. I know he can sing, but man, he gets on my nerves.

Ditto.

Apparently "Ditto." is too short to post.

I liked it better when they did different eras, style of music, etc. too. They have been doing this "mentor" thing for the past two years and it is getting pretty old. Especially because most of the mentors are, in my opinion, not that popular anymore. I think Idol does it because they figure bringing on these "famous mentors" brings them more viewership. But really, is it fair to the kids? How can we really judge who is the best if they never get to sing the type of music they prefer and are constantly forced to perform out of their comfort zone?

I totally agree!!! If would be fun if they chose ONE celebrity each season - someone whose songs are popular today. But to put them all in one category, like country with Dolly, just doesn't do them any favors. And I love Dolly. But her songs are very unique and very country. Neil Diamond's style is very unique too and I didn't think many of them sounded very good doing his either. Mariah Carey's stuff sounded better on all of them.

Poor Archuleta. To a mom like me, he sounds like he's trying to sing while he has the croup. If he has asthma that's sad, but it is distracting to hear him sound like he is having to work so hard at taking air in. I think he'll be so much better when he gets a few more years on him and has more self confidence. Of course when you have everybody under the sun giving you advice, it takes a lot to not get discouraged. He must have a lot of spunk.

For some reason I feel like the poor kid is constantly thinking about what his dad is gonna say or do. Of course I have heard on ET and TMZ that his dad is a stage dad from hell, so that could be clouding my perception too, so I could be way off but that is just the feeling I get. I feel like he is under tremendous pressure from his dad. I dunno, but like somebody else said, as a mother, I feel like I want to protect him from the people who call him names, he's just a kid so I think people should be a little kinder about what they say. I look at him differently than some people, I see a sweet, humble kid who has amazing talent and is maybe looking for approval from his dad.

This is me being a mother hen!!

:thumbup:

Oh gee, Rain your comments were too funny and actually pretty darn accurate!:thumbup:

My favorite is gone, John Michaels... but from the ones that are left, I like Jason and I wish hed win... I like his laid back personality and his choices of songs in the past have been different and I like that , even though I didn't like him this week, I think he was pretty weak...but he is still my favorite of the ones left... Syesha too theatrical...Brooke I didn't think she was ready...her voice is not bad, but she is so nervous and showed it all the time and her behavior looked ackward to me sometimes.... I think David Cook is going to win... the judges praise him big time and I understand that he has a big fan base, he is not my favorite, he is all right, but despite of being known for being "original" I actually don't think he is, I can always see the cute pop song with a rock arrangement coming from him... it's just so predictible and his voice is ok I guess but nothing to write home about... David A, oh gee what can I say... he has a good voice obviously, but he seems so insecure, I think it's because of his age, poor thing... hate the gasping for air, but I do feel bad if it's due to asthma of course, if it's just a habit, he needs to get rid of that, he still does some lip licking once in a while, but that has gotten better..., but in my opinion, he is painful to watch... I think will be the runner up, but he needs major counseling and I'm sure he will sound better when his songs are done in a recording studio... and hopefully will look better in a music video, but live? ewk!:)

Missy- you are right. We have no idea what this boy goes through in his personal life. It is very likely that his dad is pushing him like you said you heard. It seems that all of his performances are forced- especially the song choices. I'm not sure that we are really seeing who HE is. If his dad is pressuring him that much, it is very sad.

I do not think he is cut out to be an American Idol but I will try to cut the poor kid a break :thumbup:

Edited by georgia girl

Anyone besides me think David A. sounds a bit like R Kelly? (I don't even know if I'm spelling his name right.) Maybe his dad is trying to make him a "nice" R Kelly instead of a shady R Kelly.

I agree, I think we should give all of them a break. I believe that they are all incredibly talented. I think their voices are better under pressure than many of the contestants in earlier shows. But they take such a beating from the judges and mostly come from backgrounds that are performance limited, so to get up on that huge stage in L.A., in front of a good sized audience and very critical judges has to be a real punch in the gut.

On the other hand, they knew what they were getting into and they just have to suck it up and do their best. Their ability to do that and get millions of viewers voting for them is what will give them a leg up and what separates them from the other young people who are trying to make it in the music business.

If David Archuleta wins, I hope he doesn't wind up like Britney Spears in 4 or 5 years when he gets the gumption to stand up to his stage father.

Oh gee, Rain your comments were too funny and actually pretty darn accurate!:thumbup:

My favorite is gone, John Michaels... but from the ones that are left, I like Jason and I wish hed win... I like his laid back personality and his choices of songs in the past have been different and I like that , even though I didn't like him this week, I think he was pretty weak...but he is still my favorite of the ones left... Syesha too theatrical...Brooke I didn't think she was ready...her voice is not bad, but she is so nervous and showed it all the time and her behavior looked ackward to me sometimes.... I think David Cook is going to win... the judges praise him big time and I understand that he has a big fan base, he is not my favorite, he is all right, but despite of being known for being "original" I actually don't think he is, I can always see the cute pop song with a rock arrangement coming from him... it's just so predictible and his voice is ok I guess but nothing to write home about... David A, oh gee what can I say... he has a good voice obviously, but he seems so insecure, I think it's because of his age, poor thing... hate the gasping for air, but I do feel bad if it's due to asthma of course, if it's just a habit, he needs to get rid of that, he still does some lip licking once in a while, but that has gotten better..., but in my opinion, he is painful to watch... I think will be the runner up, but he needs major counseling and I'm sure he will sound better when his songs are done in a recording studio... and hopefully will look better in a music video, but live? ewk!:)

His name was Michael Johns, not John Michaels, (the whole 2 first name thing can be comfusing lol) and I totally agree with you, at the time I didn't really have a favorite, I like this show but in the past there have been so much more talented people than this year, (Chris Daughty, Katherine McPhee, obviously Kelly Clarkson, etc.) This year I feel like its some high school talent show, no one is SUPER amazing, it feels like none of them deserve to be an American Idol, they are all very very talented, don't get me wrong, but I don't see any of them with that "WOW" voice, the closest was maybe David Cook singing phantom... I think out of everyone Michael Johns would have been the best choice, although out of my 2 favorite idols I mentioned before, niether won, so it seems to be the same deal every year.