Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Best Decision We’ve EVER Made

My husband and I had VSG on 7/9 along with a hiatal hernia repair for me. We had our 1 month post op weigh in Friday. Before we had this surgery we made a pact that if we were spending all the money to do this we were not going to do the minimum we were DOING IT “like a boss”. Following the plan, working the program, working our asses off in the gym, and leaning on each other for support when we need it.

The first couple weeks of surgery are HARD, mentally more so than physically. But physically sometimes it sucks too, you will have side pain sometimes, you’ll be nauseated sometimes you’ll throw up sometimes. But it’s all so worth it. Mentally your mind is racing what have I done to myself? This liquid diet sucks! Since when are there so many food commercials? You sometimes have mental cravings so strong that make you feel so desperate you might even cry. And in that low dark place you will long for the comfort of food, but food cannot comfort you anymore. It’s almost like a grieving process and it SUCKS but it gets better. Eventually if you keep saying NO ! Those cravings fade away. I’m not saying I don’t have any cravings anymore but they are few and far between and easily dismissible. I also consider myself “lucky” to have a picky pouch, if I eat a bite of something something that’s even the least bit fatty or greasy it’s coming back and I’m cool with that because it definitely makes me have zero interest in those types of things. Me, my eggs, deli turkey, turkey pepperoni, shredded chicken, string cheese, and PB 2 have become pretty good pals. For the first time in my life I eat to live instead of living to eat.

We went through every step of this together from the consultations to the pre-op requirements to surgery and continue to fight this DAILY battle as a team. This surgery has already changed our life in so many ways and i have no doubt that it will continue to have such a positive impact. This surgery has changed the two of us, it has changed our marriage, our relationships with others and our lives as a whole. It’s been a wild fast ride. Neither of us have one ounce of regret this is absolutely the best decision we’ve ever made. We push each other every day and I can’t imagine having gone through this alone without that support.

Surgery Day 7/9/19 - 340 & 290 lbs

Friday 8/9/19 - 272 & 241 lbs

Total loss since surgery- 68 & 49 lbs

Loss as a couple - 117lbs

87ADF54E-BB38-4DA3-80E3-161D520EB677.jpeg

765B08C0-AB67-4D71-952E-DE11BB12E4C4.jpeg

A89EA34C-7FC7-429F-9DF8-6B2B3DFC0D32.jpeg

3362C78E-D207-45AD-971F-ECE5EFED89D7.jpeg

Edited by Mom_of_Chaos
Added pictures

1 hour ago, Mom_of_Chaos said:

My husband and I had VSG on 7/9 along with a hiatal hernia repair for me. We had our 1 month post op weigh in Friday. Before we had this surgery we made a pact that if we were spending all the money to do this we were not going to do the minimum we were DOING IT “like a boss”. Following the plan, working the program, working our asses off in the gym, and leaning on each other for support when we need it.

The first couple weeks of surgery are HARD, mentally more so than physically. But physically sometimes it sucks too, you will have side pain sometimes, you’ll be nauseated sometimes you’ll throw up sometimes. But it’s all so worth it. Mentally your mind is racing what have I done to myself? This liquid diet sucks! Since when are there so many food commercials? You sometimes have mental cravings so strong that make you feel so desperate you might even cry. And in that low dark place you will long for the comfort of food, but food cannot comfort you anymore. It’s almost like a grieving process and it SUCKS but it gets better. Eventually if you keep saying NO ! Those cravings fade away. I’m not saying I don’t have any cravings anymore but they are few and far between and easily dismissible. I also consider myself “lucky” to have a picky pouch, if I eat a bite of something something that’s even the least bit fatty or greasy it’s coming back and I’m cool with that because it definitely makes me have zero interest in those types of things. Me, my eggs, deli turkey, turkey pepperoni, shredded chicken, string cheese, and PB 2 have become pretty good pals. For the first time in my life I eat to live instead of living to eat.

We went through every step of this together from the consultations to the pre-op requirements to surgery and continue to fight this DAILY battle as a team. This surgery has already changed our life in so many ways and i have no doubt that it will continue to have such a positive impact. This surgery has changed the two of us, it has changed our marriage, our relationships with others and our lives as a whole. It’s been a wild fast ride. Neither of us have one ounce of regret this is absolutely the best decision we’ve ever made. We push each other every day and I can’t imagine having gone through this alone without that support.

87ADF54E-BB38-4DA3-80E3-161D520EB677.jpeg

765B08C0-AB67-4D71-952E-DE11BB12E4C4.jpeg

A89EA34C-7FC7-429F-9DF8-6B2B3DFC0D32.jpeg

3362C78E-D207-45AD-971F-ECE5EFED89D7.jpeg

Wow! A month?? Awesome! I am glad that you both have each other for support...Hard to explain when dating and being called "delicate.." I am so happy that I did it too. Mine is mostly because I am happy to be getting healthier, if not as thin as I'd like to be headed into my 4th week...

Edited by Goldn02Grl

I think your description of how your felt about food, after surgery, will really help people. What a great couple!

Congrats! Love your share! I think it will be so helpful for newbies! Congrats on 1 month and working together. I can really tell a diff about you both!!! You're both crushing it!!!

87ADF54E-BB38-4DA3-80E3-161D520EB677.thumb.jpeg.5740dca3a5e67a5f4536111896dd7c8d.jpeg
765B08C0-AB67-4D71-952E-DE11BB12E4C4.thumb.jpeg.f01e239863dbef6cf0ff883105b6731e.jpeg
A89EA34C-7FC7-429F-9DF8-6B2B3DFC0D32.thumb.jpeg.6c975c6bd28fd54eec264e2355381616.jpeg
3362C78E-D207-45AD-971F-ECE5EFED89D7.thumb.jpeg.d2f51f517a6390db20a09b1601389cf1.jpeg
Wow!!! Congratulations and well done to both of you! Truly like a BOSS! Very very inspiring!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks everyone! We’re trying to make the absolute most out of this tool !

So good to see someone taking on the go hard or go home approach :) well done

87ADF54E-BB38-4DA3-80E3-161D520EB677.thumb.jpeg.5740dca3a5e67a5f4536111896dd7c8d.jpeg
765B08C0-AB67-4D71-952E-DE11BB12E4C4.thumb.jpeg.f01e239863dbef6cf0ff883105b6731e.jpeg
A89EA34C-7FC7-429F-9DF8-6B2B3DFC0D32.thumb.jpeg.6c975c6bd28fd54eec264e2355381616.jpeg
3362C78E-D207-45AD-971F-ECE5EFED89D7.thumb.jpeg.d2f51f517a6390db20a09b1601389cf1.jpeg
Congratulations! So wonderful that you two have each other to support! That would be so helpful instead of being in my household where the rest of the family continues to eat unhealthy and have that crap food around which makes it so tough for me. Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Congratulations to both of you! What a great team. I can't believe you've list 50 pounds in only one month!! Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app