Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm 1 year 2 months post op and have lost 115lbs which is awesome. I have more energy and can do more things with my daughter, I'm in clothing sizes I have never worn! I should be the happiest I've ever been, but I have a mindset I feel is holding me back. This may seem ungrateful, but I'm ANGRY I'm treated differently now that I've lost weight. It's like I was invisible (or worse- gross) when I weighed 286 but now people notice me just because of what I look like and it PISSES ME OFF.I was all the things that make me ME before I lost weight and now it's like a revelation that I'm worthwhile somehow. All of this positive feedback would have been awesome when my self-esteem was in the toilet from being depressed and overweight.

-My husband wants to tell me I look cute and wants to have more sex - and my 1st thought is why didn't you do this before?

-People who wouldn't give me the time of day at work tell me my ideas are great - and I think, they were good before, why didn't you speak up then?

-My family tells me nice things about myself and my clothes - I cant stop thinking about how I could have used this support BEFORE.

Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do to move past this? Should I see a therapist? I don't want to be ungrateful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just beginning my journey but down a total of 100 lbs from last year and 52 lbs of that has been since April after receiving the surgey. I am frustrated as i have always been discriminated against. I have been doing my job for 29 years. I have a great reputation and am very knowledgeable. However I always get passed up for promotions and advancement. Tired of it. So am hoping that what happened to you happens to me. Although at 57 YOA may have to deal with age discrimination next. People don't know how to treat you if you are different in anyway. Anyway at 240 so still have a long way to go but getting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way, I think you would benefit greatly if you saw a therapist.

Some people are treated differently when they lose what but I don't think its all about the way they look, I think some of it is the way they present a different attitude, more confidence, happier, etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TracyS said:

I am just beginning my journey but down a total of 100 lbs from last year and 52 lbs of that has been since April after receiving the surgey. I am frustrated as i have always been discriminated against. I have been doing my job for 29 years. I have a great reputation and am very knowledgeable. However I always get passed up for promotions and advancement. Tired of it. So am hoping that what happened to you happens to me. Although at 57 YOA may have to deal with age discrimination next. People don't know how to treat you if you are different in anyway. Anyway at 240 so still have a long way to go but getting there.

Great job, Tracy. I know how hard you've worked to get that 100lbs off! The discrimination is real...

People who haven't lived it don't get it. One of the things that's helped so far is just being the person the discrimination stops with. When i encounter folks who say hurtful things or invalidate somone who's overweight I try to advocate for them.

Weve been there and we know how hard the road can be! With your knowledge and experience I know you'll continue to shine bright like the star you are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonsie27 said:

I'm 1 year 2 months post op and have lost 115lbs which is awesome. I have more energy and can do more things with my daughter, I'm in clothing sizes I have never worn! I should be the happiest I've ever been, but I have a mindset I feel is holding me back. This may seem ungrateful, but I'm ANGRY I'm treated differently now that I've lost weight. It's like I was invisible (or worse- gross) when I weighed 286 but now people notice me just because of what I look like and it PISSES ME OFF.I was all the things that make me ME before I lost weight and now it's like a revelation that I'm worthwhile somehow. All of this positive feedback would have been awesome when my self-esteem was in the toilet from being depressed and overweight.

-My husband wants to tell me I look cute and wants to have more sex - and my 1st thought is why didn't you do this before?

-People who wouldn't give me the time of day at work tell me my ideas are great - and I think, they were good before, why didn't you speak up then?

-My family tells me nice things about myself and my clothes - I cant stop thinking about how I could have used this support BEFORE.

Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do to move past this? Should I see a therapist? I don't want to be ungrateful...

I totally get you on this. I had yet another person yesterday tell me that I looked fantastic after losing 80lb. I am cranky too. So obviously I didn't look ok before. This annoys me. I still care about people who are struggling with their weight. They need the same affirmation that I am getting now. Why do people hate obese people!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Saxons said:

I totally get you on this. I had yet another person yesterday tell me that I looked fantastic after losing 80lb. I am cranky too. So obviously I didn't look ok before. This annoys me. I still care about people who are struggling with their weight. They need the same affirmation that I am getting now. Why do people hate obese people!?

THIS. people are like "you look so great now!" what did i look like before, a bridge troll?!! 🙄

Edited by Jonsie27
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way, I think you would benefit greatly if you saw a therapist.

Some people are treated differently when they lose what but I don't think its all about the way they look, I think some of it is the way they present a different attitude, more confidence, happier, etc etc.

You may be right about the therapist. Although why is it assumed that because you're overweight that you're some how unhappy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are of course 2 sides to this.

I am sure that if you had put in all this effort and lost all this weight and people didn’t comment or tell you how great you look you would be more teed off. I know it frustrates me when no one says anything.

Also whilst some people are attracted to obese people the majority of people aren’t. So whilst who you are hasn’t changed the way you look is probably a lot more pleasing now. Ask yourself if you thought you looked great when you were carrying all that excess weight, I know personally I think I look awful .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yep, it’s happening to me as well. I’m no longer as invisible. It’s not that I’m happier or holding myself more confidently, I was prior to weight loss.

It’s a thing, and it sucks. Don’t let it mess around in your head too much. People are weird. And no, it’s not right that we are suddenly treated nicer due to our appearance. Everyone has value, and should be treated as such.

Im starting therapy next week, and this will be one of the things we discuss, for sure.

Edited by AngieBear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but I knew that would happen and I tried not to let it bother me (and mostly, it hasn't). Too many other things to worry about. But yes, I do get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, elcee said:

Ask yourself if you thought you looked great when you were carrying all that excess weight, I know personally I think I look awful .

I think the really frustrating thing is (at least for me it was) that "being attracted to someone" and "being nice to someone" are two entirely different things and while I absolutely understand that someone isn't physically/sexually attracted to very overweight people I have no clue why being fat seems to affect how people in general react to you.

I thought I looked awful when I was heavier and I don't think of very overweight people as "attractive" (sue me). However, that doesn't prevent me from being nice to heavier people. Being nice or polite or showing decent behavior or whatever one might call it is just a matter of common courtesy for me and not of weight.

I have quite a few overweight colleagues in different departments of the hospital and I don't think of them as "lesser" or something like that and I don't know why anyone could even have the idea that their work or their ideas or whatever could somehow be less worth or less good than that of slimmer colleagues just because they're fat and I also don't have the impression that other thin colleagues might be having these thoughts.

However, maybe it's different in other professions. In the medical field there are boatloads of overweight/fat people working as it seems to me.

Edited by summerset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I relate to this so much. I am a Health at Every Size activist. I lost 80 lbs. on Phentermine about six years ago. All of a sudden I had a cousin I barely know writing to me about how happy she was about it because my health must have been so bad before and I had no weight-related health issues then. I was invited to family events that I hadn't been previously. People acted like it was, by far, my biggest accomplishment, nevermind that I have a law degree, etc. I told people what I thought of their bad behavior at the time.

For me, compliments are great, but when it suggests there was something seriously wrong with me before, it crosses into offensive behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AngieBear said:

I’m no longer as invisible.

Interestingly enough I feel invisible now. I blend into a group of people without sticking out like a sore thumb if I want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JessLess said:

For me, compliments are great, but when it suggests there was something seriously wrong with me before, it crosses into offensive behavior.

This. And all too often these "compliments" do seem to cross a line. "Weight" is a very emotional topic in our society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It’s human nature. Lean in to it but yes you may want to talk to someone. You need to get past the hang up so you can enjoy your life to the fullest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      Having another blah food day today.  My lunch has been sitting here with me for almost two hours and all I've managed to eat was maybe 1/2 oz of grilled chicken and 2 cucumber slices.  Eff it, I'm done.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Margaret698

      Hello Everyone. I am new to this website. Everyone has encouraged me and  happy to say I am now scheduled for sleeve surgery on July 29th 19'. I am so grateful for sites like this for support and answers. Thank you to all and best of luck to you.
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      I just scored this Juicy Couture black label dress in a small with room to spare... Unbelievable

      · 4 replies
      1. Sosewsue61

        Awesome!

      2. apiane

        That's unbelievable!

      3. Orchids&Dragons

        Gorgeous!

      4. SusieQ2019

        Awesome!!!

    • allwet

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • The 56 Bypass

      This video is an excerpt from the same, larger video. In this video, I pull out only the Food Addiction portion. Its such an important revelation for me and it may help someone else, thus I think it warrants its own video. 🙂
       
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esuavdnSHEQ
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×