Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My work here is done

So it's very obvious the new newbies want nothing to do with hearing what successful WLS patients have to say. The recent debate over the the eating bacon 1 week postop makes it perfectly clear that what they want is for someone to tell them it's OK to be stupid. They are not interested in listening to their surgeons or nuts or veterans. Self sabotage is the new fad and compliance is apparently out of style. I made the mistake of responding to the post when, as a veteran, I should have known better. Turns out I'm just a big meanie (no surprise there!) At this point it's 95% newbies posting on that thread who don't have a clue what the long term repercussions of eating off plan so soon will lead to. The blind leading the blind.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see the stats of successful EWL go down over the next few years as more and more unprepared, uncommitted people continue to have WLS. In the meantime, I'm outa here. The newbies won. As hard as it is to tear my eyes away from the car wreck, I just can't take anymore people that do stupid **** and then whine about getting their feelings hurt. Someone PM me when the grown ups start joining again.

Why such negatively ?? Act like a adult and brush it off not all are going to agree . It doesn't matter if you're a newbie or veteran everyone will make mistakes ,taking things so personally shows ignorance . You're not a doctor so people will debate you .. PS. No one has to listen nor take your advice .

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

@ - you forgot the mic drop at the end.

lol, in all seriousness though - I was reading your post and I had to keep checking if it was something I had typed out. You and I appear to have the same mindset and think alike. Well, rather, when I was in your position and in regards to WLS. No, you may not be popular in the beginning. Neither was I.

Matter of fact, I was called a bully, a*****e, jerk... and some other choice words. I love the fact that many of those people are no longer on the forum. Some washed out early while others moved on to bigger and better personal disasters. So while you may not be popular with many, I think you may be my new buddy.

Thanks buddy! I am happy to know that at least one person here doesn't hate me, haha!

I have a date booked for sleeve and I would appreciate it if any vets would be willing to PM me because I would appreciate advice as I go forward . I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know better... I don't know anything much. I do believe experience is the best teacher which you have and I don't. I do feel immense gratitude for your willingness to give time. Also I did a liquid diet for 7 months so I have no time for people who feel sorry for themselves over a few days. If you are bored then find activities for entertainment or do something for somebody else. (This morning on BBC radio 4 they were talking about girls in India being trafficked and a 4yo bleeding to death from a ruptured uterus in which they found a stick. Frankly that's the sort of thing that I think it's worth complaining about. It's all relative!) I'm coeliac and I don't have the choices that most people have and I simply cannot understand why people are wailing about restricted diets. Try no wheat, rye, oats barley, milk as an everyday thing. I met my surgeon today and he advised that there may be extra challenges because my guts are sensitive anyway. I've not read the bacon thing but it strikes me as insanity to even contemplate it a week after surgery, a month after! I also don't get the logic of eating in the same way as got me to where I am. Surely it's a good opportunity to curb the sweet /carb craving tooth? I'm just not sure what best choices I can make. I'm useless at cooking and I want to develop a new gourmet mentality. A healthy and nutrition based non-relationship attitude where it becomes a resource for wellbeing.

So I'm understanding why you feel upset and at the same time I feel judged by the behaviours and choices of others and which I have not taken.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using the BariatricPal App

this is kind of like a rant as well

Bacon really one week postop how can a person do that and not expect to fail we should all keep in mind especially myself right now who is a newbie food addiction took a long time to happen and kicking that battle is going to be difficult as well however eating bacon that quickly after an operation that was meant to help you lose weight that's need some serious attention personally I need and value all words even if they are critical from veterans because this is the most difficult decision I ever made in my life to try to save my life

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

...Matter of fact, I was called a bully, a*****e, jerk... and some other choice words....

No one ever thought you were a bully. :)

I think bacon is a GREAT idea. Bacon for everyone!

YEAH LIPSTICKLADY! You have my vote in 2016.

Could you run as the VP to Vermin Supreme so, if you are elected, we all can have ponies too. :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

@@Kindle I am sorry you are backing away, but I think I understand.

I've sorta done the same thing. My posts pretty much are now limited to the success story section. That's what I enjoy reading and hearing about. I'm burned out over a lot of stuff in other sections. pizza, bacon, beer, cigarettes two days post op and challenging anyone that tells 'em it is a bad idea. They don't want advice....they simply want someone to tell 'em it is okay and no real change is needed on their part.

I really do need the wisdom of the vets and hate to see you leave.

I'm not a vet.....but hope to one day be able to look back and know that I've been successful and have maintained the new lifestyle and can take pride in doing so year after year.

So it's very obvious the new newbies want nothing to do with hearing what successful WLS patients have to say. The recent debate over the the eating bacon 1 week postop makes it perfectly clear that what they want is for someone to tell them it's OK to be stupid. They are not interested in listening to their surgeons or nuts or veterans. Self sabotage is the new fad and compliance is apparently out of style. I made the mistake of responding to the post when, as a veteran, I should have known better. Turns out I'm just a big meanie (no surprise there!) At this point it's 95% newbies posting on that thread who don't have a clue what the long term repercussions of eating off plan so soon will lead to. The blind leading the blind.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see the stats of successful EWL go down over the next few years as more and more unprepared, uncommitted people continue to have WLS. In the meantime, I'm outa here. The newbies won. As hard as it is to tear my eyes away from the car wreck, I just can't take anymore people that do stupid **** and then whine about getting their feelings hurt. Someone PM me when the grown ups start joining again.

I'm a newbie, and I will miss your posts. You represent, to me at least, one of the best models for my goals. When I was in the hospital about to get the surgery, the nurse told me that she could tell I did a lot research prior to surgery. She also told me a lot of people don't seem to know what they are getting into. I respect your decision, and I, too, have been shocked to read people eating bacon, pizza, etc. shortly after surgery. I selected my doctor because she had a low complication rate, and she was very conservative. I have to keep reminding myself that the restrictions are temporary. I also go to therapy to discuss my food addictions and stress eating. I hope that when I am as far out as you I can live my life in a manner consistent with your apparent values. Good luck to you and THANK YOU for sharing part of yourself on this website. I have already learned from you.

Hate to see you go. I'm more of a quiet participant on this forum, usually only post when I have to encourage or congratulate. Or if I really need the help of the vets. Last night, particularly, I had a vet pm me and she has been such a doll. I appreciate you guys, and I hope you have a change of heart. I can only hope to be as successful as the vets on this forum. Hell, I'm 10 months postop and I'm still needing you guys. Sorry to hear the stupidity finally broke you, but us less stupid people appreciate you. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I signed onto this website shortly after I had VSG and the biggest take away from the vets was don't return to old eating habits or you will regain. This really stuck with me and I worked very hard to change my eating and exercise habits from then on.

I keep coming here to stay alert and motivated to stay the course. I take nothing for granted. I also want to give a shout out to Bufflehead for recommending the book The Beck Diet Solution because it changed my life. The cognitive tools outlined in this book helped me establish great habits and self control. I just don't graze. Thank you Bufflehead!

Well, just so y'all know, in case you didn't already, I'm only here to ogle the hawt guys, and when I'm feeling down, to get a pat on the butt back.

And to throw out the phrase "beg your pardon" every now and then, since that provoked an epic rant the first time I did it.

In fact, there was a fairly strongly worded post created by a site administrator making it clear that "vets" are not really that important here and supposedly cause the issues. There are snarky people everywhere on the internet, but many people who are maintaining at goal provide positive support. I relied on it when I was preop and beyond, but probably more for motivation and seeing the vision of what was possible to achieve post sleeve. I have come to the conclusion that advice is not particularly welcome AND now that everyone sees things on mobile devices they can't see tickers, signatures and other things that I found so motivating in my early stages. Bottom line, since it is hard to view the photos and the "stats" it is much harder to find experienced people to use as your motivation, mentor, etc.

Kindle, I normally don't care for "flounce" posts but I am pretty much there with you on your reasons and want to let you know that you will be missed.

why leave because of the comments made by a few?

It isn't the few, it is the majority really and it has been escalating for a while. That is why WLS forums are filled with newbies and not veterans.

I am also a newbie. I am also older and don't tolerate much foolishness. I've read the posts from newbies that start a few days pre-op to a few weeks post op about whether they can eat bacon, or had a slice of pizza or say I am going on vacation and can I drink alcohol. I read those posts, shake my head and think, "Why the hell did you have surgery, especially when you are making bad decision so soon after surgery?!!!"

I followed the rules post op because I had major surgery and wanted to change my life for the better. Many think of this as a quick fix and it is obvious from their posts. Others haven't addressed their food addiction or food behaviors prior to surgery. Have I been perfect since my surgery, No, but I have been able to stay on the right path based on the guidance given by vets to other members.

I appreciate ALL the vets input, responses and tips. I would hate for the vets to leave because your successes, experiences and suggestions have made my journey successful so far. Like others, even though I might not post often, I do read the forum EVERYDAY.

I think a FAQ for newbies is a good idea and when somebody asks some of these "stupid" questions, the vet can just post a link to a section of the FAQ that explains what to eat and what not to eat post op and keep on going.

Kindle, I would love for you to reconsider your decision to leave. Your postings, along with the other vets, are appreciated by many of us newbies.

Like this?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall