Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My work here is done

As a newbie I hope you all stay engaged. It is very important to get your perspective, learn from your experience, and hear people say it is going to be rough, it is a fundamental life change, and we can succeed if committed.

I agree, I hope that you stay on as well. I am a newbie, I was sleeves on 6/13 and I appreciate and look forward to any information given on this site. I just hate that it gets so negative sometimes. These surgeries are life altering and any support should be welcomed. Especially if the person is considering something as silly as bacon one week post op. Sounds like they needed more counseling before they choose the surgery. food relationships are a big part of this, and I wasn't allowed to have my surgery until I got control of my eating habits. You have to have that to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

As a newbie I hope you all stay engaged. It is very important to get your perspective, learn from your experience, and hear people say it is going to be rough, it is a fundamental life change, and we can succeed if committed.

I agree, I hope that you stay on as well. I am a newbie, I was sleeves on 6/13 and I appreciate and look forward to any information given on this site. I just hate that it gets so negative sometimes. These surgeries are life altering and any support should be welcomed. Especially if the person is considering something as silly as bacon one week post op. Sounds like they needed more counseling before they choose the surgery. food relationships are a big part of this, and I wasn't allowed to have my surgery until I got control of my eating habits. You have to have that to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's why you should not be so hard on a person. You never know what they're going through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I don't want to prolong a fight about bacon and I am Waaaaayyy new. But it is beyond stupid for someone that has already had wls to have an additional wls and then eat bacon one week post op. Period.

Sorry not a coddler I have my own shit and if i mess up (likely since human) I will (hopefully) admit it and look for someone to tell me that was stupid.

I'm a "newbie" (getting sleeved on Tuesday) and I am hoping to have that vet support I need if I hit a rough patch and need some support! Reading all of the success stories and support that you offer is just amazing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I am a newbie, and after reading the Bacon fiasco, I am getting ready to say some things that may make me very unpopular here...

First of all, this is not high school and people need to act like adults. If someone can't take advice and not let it ruin their day or their life, then they need to participate in a much different forum than this one. Having said that, I find it very discouraging to see someone with a lot of solid knowledge get chased off by such stupidity. So why let those kinds of "newbies" ruin your experience here? The world would be a much better place if people could just learn how to coexist without constantly poking some thing or some one with a stick all the time.

What ever happened to take what you like and leave the rest? Who cares if the bacon eater doesn't get it? It certainly has no bearing on my experience here. I came here to soak up the knowledge of those who came before me and who speak from experience. I really couldn't care less if someone is non-compliant; it's none of my concern. I just need to get what I came here for, and I can't get much if the veterans throw up their hands and leave over a conflict. It's not personal, and it's highly unlikely that any of us will ever interact outside of this forum (I suppose it's possible, but unlikely). If you can't handle ignorance and take it with a grain of salt, then that's your business. It's all around you, and if someone leaves every time someone says something stupid, then who will be here to help the ones who listen and take advice when it's given? WE are the newbies that matter, and we need your wisdom. I hope you'll stay. I need to hear what you have to say.

@

Stay active on here for about 2 or 3 years and see if you still feel the same way. I'll bet you won't.

Just sayin.

@ - you forgot the mic drop at the end.

lol, in all seriousness though - I was reading your post and I had to keep checking if it was something I had typed out. You and I appear to have the same mindset and think alike. Well, rather, when I was in your position and in regards to WLS. No, you may not be popular in the beginning. Neither was I.

Matter of fact, I was called a bully, asshole, jerk... and some other choice words. I love the fact that many of those people are no longer on the forum. Some washed out early while others moved on to bigger and better personal disasters. So while you may not be popular with many, I think you may be my new buddy.

I am a newbie, and after reading the Bacon fiasco, I am getting ready to say some things that may make me very unpopular here...

First of all, this is not high school and people need to act like adults. If someone can't take advice and not let it ruin their day or their life, then they need to participate in a much different forum than this one. Having said that, I find it very discouraging to see someone with a lot of solid knowledge get chased off by such stupidity. So why let those kinds of "newbies" ruin your experience here? The world would be a much better place if people could just learn how to coexist without constantly poking some thing or some one with a stick all the time.

What ever happened to take what you like and leave the rest? Who cares if the bacon eater doesn't get it? It certainly has no bearing on my experience here. I came here to soak up the knowledge of those who came before me and who speak from experience. I really couldn't care less if someone is non-compliant; it's none of my concern. I just need to get what I came here for, and I can't get much if the veterans throw up their hands and leave over a conflict. It's not personal, and it's highly unlikely that any of us will ever interact outside of this forum (I suppose it's possible, but unlikely). If you can't handle ignorance and take it with a grain of salt, then that's your business. It's all around you, and if someone leaves every time someone says something stupid, then who will be here to help the ones who listen and take advice when it's given? WE are the newbies that matter, and we need your wisdom. I hope you'll stay. I need to hear what you have to say.

Sadly they make it personal and name names and call people bullies and such.

I'm very surprised by the amount of drama, snapping at people, ignoring advice, defensiveness, etc. shown about some things. The whole Bacon Fiasco is kind of ridiculous. It's HER problem, all anyone else can do is offer advice. I'm a dreaded 'newbie' who had the audacity to offer her some options for clear liquid Protein, telling her that she's got it in her to get through this and without being overly pointed about the damned bacon. It seems like we're viewed as one autonomous and terribly bothersome group at times and that really chaps my ass.

I'm not sure why there's such disdain for newbies from some posters, but I'm here to get and give support when I can and when I need it. I appreciate the wise advice from the 'vets' and would never be rude to any of you, but I'm not going to be rude to one of my cohort, either. You guys have made it to where I hope with all of my heart to be some day, but right now, I'm slogging through the first few weeks and trying to be of help anywhere I can while absorbing all I can about the road ahead.

I'm paying attention! I stay far away from popcorn... and been working hard to stay on my diet. Finally figured out Protein to be able to drink or eat it... and that's thanks to all the vets! *hugs*

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

So it's very obvious the new newbies want nothing to do with hearing what successful WLS patients have to say. The recent debate over the the eating bacon 1 week postop makes it perfectly clear that what they want is for someone to tell them it's OK to be stupid. They are not interested in listening to their surgeons or nuts or veterans. Self sabotage is the new fad and compliance is apparently out of style. I made the mistake of responding to the post when, as a veteran, I should have known better. Turns out I'm just a big meanie (no surprise there!) At this point it's 95% newbies posting on that thread who don't have a clue what the long term repercussions of eating off plan so soon will lead to. The blind leading the blind.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see the stats of successful EWL go down over the next few years as more and more unprepared, uncommitted people continue to have WLS. In the meantime, I'm outa here. The newbies won. As hard as it is to tear my eyes away from the car wreck, I just can't take anymore people that do stupid **** and then whine about getting their feelings hurt. Someone PM me when the grown ups start joining again.

Well I'm new and need all the support I can get

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I think we are devolving into the reason she is leaving.

Please don't completely leave many respect all you have to offer!

Ok let's drama down a notch ....or two.

I am also a newbie. I am also older and don't tolerate much foolishness. I've read the posts from newbies that start a few days pre-op to a few weeks post op about whether they can eat bacon, or had a slice of pizza or say I am going on vacation and can I drink alcohol. I read those posts, shake my head and think, "Why the hell did you have surgery, especially when you are making bad decision so soon after surgery?!!!"

I followed the rules post op because I had major surgery and wanted to change my life for the better. Many think of this as a quick fix and it is obvious from their posts. Others haven't addressed their food addiction or food behaviors prior to surgery. Have I been perfect since my surgery, No, but I have been able to stay on the right path based on the guidance given by vets to other members.

I appreciate ALL the vets input, responses and tips. I would hate for the vets to leave because your successes, experiences and suggestions have made my journey successful so far. Like others, even though I might not post often, I do read the forum EVERYDAY.

I think a FAQ for newbies is a good idea and when somebody asks some of these "stupid" questions, the vet can just post a link to a section of the FAQ that explains what to eat and what not to eat post op and keep on going.

Kindle, I would love for you to reconsider your decision to leave. Your postings, along with the other vets, are appreciated by many of us newbies.