Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassingly clueless to working out!

I've always been naturally thin & didn't work out. About 10 years ago I had some health issues that made me gain (a lot) of weight and limited my mobility. I'm going in at the beginning if March to get GVS, and I'm eager to do my part to loosing the weight.

Enough backstory.. Here's my question :) I'm 33 in good health now (outside of the weight which is 260) I can't keep up in group classes and usually leave crying & feeling bad. And personal trainers are very expensive :(

I'm at a loss what I should be doing to start? I assume the first month will be modified activity like walking or nothing that requires lifting right?

After that what is a good program to start? I googled it and was so overwhelmed by different options and they contradicted themselves.

So there ya have it :) any advice would b awesome :)

I've always been naturally thin & didn't work out. About 10 years ago I had some health issues that made me gain (a lot) of weight and limited my mobility. I'm going in at the beginning if March to get GVS, and I'm eager to do my part to loosing the weight.

Enough backstory.. Here's my question :) I'm 33 in good health now (outside of the weight which is 260) I can't keep up in group classes and usually leave crying & feeling bad. And personal trainers are very expensive :(

I'm at a loss what I should be doing to start? I assume the first month will be modified activity like walking or nothing that requires lifting right?

After that what is a good program to start? I googled it and was so overwhelmed by different options and they contradicted themselves.

I started with walking and then advanced to jogging. I downloaded the C25K app. It is a guided running app. Sometimes I repeated days but it really helped and it is free. As I lost weight I am able to do more so now I can keep up in group classes.

For me, I started walking on a treadmill soon after surgery. In my home. I did this for about a year or so....SLOWLY increasing the time and speed until I was going at a fast walk with a small amount of incline. That got boring as HECK for me after several months. But it was certainly beneficial.

Then, I had a friend talk me into trying cycling.....and after finding the correct bike for me, I WAS/AM hooked! It is something I enjoy....hard to describe how good it makes me feel. And as a bonus, the cardio benefits I got from cycling were nothing short of amazing.

I've read articles that say "cycling leads to running".....and I now agree. I run now, in addition to cycling, because I can.

I'd suggest just doing what you enjoy and can tolerate. Don't worry about some musclehead in a gym, or some Zumba queen/king in some class being farther along in the fitness level. THEY DIDN"T START OUT LIKE THAT!

I'll post an article below that describes various aerobic exercises from the authors point of view....take it for what its worth.

http://drsimpson.net..._comparison.htm

I use the following paragraph from this article often...to remind myself.

"Einstein didn't think he was intelligent, because as his intellect expanded so did his ability to comprehend how much there is to know. Exercise works the same way. As you become fit, you become more aware of higher standards of fitness. Identifying yourself in the scale of being fit can be the cause of depression that will cause you to quit. You must not think about a future state of fitness you want to obtain. You must only think of physical motion in the moment. You must develop sets of physical motion without setting a goal of obtainment. You just do it as a ritual. You don't think about the time involved. You don't become over exhilarated. You just do it."

You can get to where you want to be...you just have to start. Best wishes!!! and never ever give up. :)

I was very sedentary! So after my surgery I walked a lot and as I lost weight my mobility and knees got better. I joined a gym and I started out on the treadmill, I've slowly moved onto the elliptical and the bike. I still don't exercise like some on here - but I'm up to almost 2 miles on the treadmill! I try to go about 2 to 3 days a week & I need to do more, but I've come a long way :)

I too am in the same predicament. Completely clueless. I'm very glad you posted this thread so I can read all the advice!

For me, I started walking on a treadmill soon after surgery. In my home. I did this for about a year or so....SLOWLY increasing the time and speed until I was going at a fast walk with a small amount of incline. That got boring as HECK for me after several months. But it was certainly beneficial.

Then, I had a friend talk me into trying cycling.....and after finding the correct bike for me, I WAS/AM hooked! It is something I enjoy....hard to describe how good it makes me feel. And as a bonus, the cardio benefits I got from cycling were nothing short of amazing.

I've read articles that say "cycling leads to running".....and I now agree. I run now, in addition to cycling, because I can.

I'd suggest just doing what you enjoy and can tolerate. Don't worry about some musclehead in a gym, or some Zumba queen/king in some class being farther along in the fitness level. THEY DIDN"T START OUT LIKE THAT!

I'll post an article below that describes various aerobic exercises from the authors point of view....take it for what its worth.

http://drsimpson.net..._comparison.htm

I use the following paragraph from this article often...to remind myself.

"Einstein didn't think he was intelligent, because as his intellect expanded so did his ability to comprehend how much there is to know. Exercise works the same way. As you become fit, you become more aware of higher standards of fitness. Identifying yourself in the scale of being fit can be the cause of depression that will cause you to quit. You must not think about a future state of fitness you want to obtain. You must only think of physical motion in the moment. You must develop sets of physical motion without setting a goal of obtainment. You just do it as a ritual. You don't think about the time involved. You don't become over exhilarated. You just do it."

You can get to where you want to be...you just have to start. Best wishes!!! and never ever give up. :)

I love the paragraph you just posted! You have no idea how much it's gonna help me! Thank you.

There are a lot of people on this forum that begin with walking and advance to doing cardio exercises when cleared to do so. From what I have read there is a good case for doing cardio to maximize weight loss and fat burning. You do have to increase calories somewhat as the intensity increases.

My experience so far:

I am 8 weeks out. I was not able to exercise the first 4 weeks due to surgical complications, but over the last month have gone from 10 minutes to 30-40 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week. During that time my calories went from 450-600( liquid) to 600-800(soft protein) to 800-1000 ( stage 5, any foods starting today). My weight loss has been steady with no stalls yet.

I will be starting strength training in the next couple weeks and will watch how my body responds to the increased activity

The best piece of exercise equipment for you, is something you will use. I started doing 33 min on the elliptical because that is all I could do and it something that I didn't dread but actually enjoyed using. Do something that you will come back and use again. The treadmill had too much impact for me to start and I could never get comfortable on a stationary bike.

I was really glad I increased my exercise prior to banding. I didn't want to -- had to force myself -- but it gave me something to step right into after surgery (like right after). I think it really helped with the healing process and signaled my body for weight loss. I work out in our basement with a cousin on a recumbent bike to warm up then a treadmill then BowFlex for resistance and back on treadmill. To supplement I now walk outdoors -- meeting a friend for a walk is something I try to arrange as soon as I see we have nice weather. A bit infrequent lately! This spring I'm going to get a bike. This is a new lifestyle for me -- so different than how I was thinking last year.

My approach / view to exercise is........that as long as you're not hurting yourself, or someone else.........there really is no wrong exercise. So at that point, any movement or activity is a good thing. First starting out with walking /hiking is a good way to gradually ease into exercise. Typically you'll not want to dive head first, as a gradual buildup is usually best for avoiding injury or being so sore after the first session or two that you want to quit. Then just find something that is fun or you really enjoy and / or find what motivates you and go with it. Wish you the best and you'll feel so much better once you're into a exercise routine and being active!

I started on a stationary bike for cardio. I found it helpful to start there bc the seat carried my body weight, not my knees, ankles, and legs. I did that for two months and then crossed over to the elliptical ( half time on bike/ half the time on the elliptical). I now do one hour a day in the elliptical, and I'm trying to cross over to running/ jogging now. I'm twenty years older than you, do maybe you don't have to worry about your knees snd ankles hurting like I did when I first started out. I also do every other day a weight circuit for arms followed by he next day a weight circuit for legs.... Don't really know if I'm doing that "The right way," but I seen improvements! Good luck and GET MOVING!!!

You can start out with cardio on a recumbent bike. Just go as long as you can, build up to how fast you go etc. I like doing the random hills program...I dont ahve to think about it too much that way.

Then you can have someone at the gym show you how to use the weight machines and just use them...switch up what body parts you do ...arms and shoulders monday, legs tuesday...etc...

But do some cardio first everytime.

If you join a gym they may have some promotions on trainers...you can even do just 3-5 visits with them to make sure you know what you are doing

Oh and I dont mean to sound creepy but I wll watch other people and see what they do...it can be helpful...well..unless I did what one lady did ...she literally ate a donut while she was on the treadmill!

I agree, trainers are expensive. I got rid of my $100 (insert cable tv provider here) and put the money towards a trainer, and I am saving $30 a month. She literally kicks my ass twice a month. So worth it!!! We meet today in less than an hour, can't wait!!!! We all started where you are starting, by putting one foot in front of the other.

Good luck with your workout adventures, whatever you decide.

Edited by trever

Although I love to exercise I do not like gyms and personal trainers would not work well for me. You do not need to spend a lot of money or even any money. Walk around your own neighborhood and download the free couch to 5k app. Or you can use some of the free on demand workouts on your cable tv from your own living room. Everyone is different but I like to workout alone. Walking or jogging with someone else prevents me from "getting in the zone". With limited time to exercise I want to be able to focus without the social distraction of a friend.

Bottom line don't let a lack of funds prevent you from getting in good workouts. Best of luck.

Oh goodness, Im about to be the worst advicer ever :/ Because you are asking about exercising right after surgery. Don't shoot me or paintball me!!!

Because I knew that this surgery was going to make me lose weight for the next 8-12 months after I had it. I took the opportunity / advantage of the fact that while I was in this 'honeymoon stage, and I knew I didn't have to work at losing weigh YET..I took the (opportunistic) losing phase to learn everything I could about how I was going to be eating and exercising before the euphoria of losing wore off. I experimented with all kinds of foods my NUT & dietitian gave me. I was SO determined to get my eating habits under control and get them to become a habit I forgone exercise for the first 8-12 months. SHAME I know, but it worked for me. I knew so much about the foods I'd be making and living with for the rest of my life, that by the time the 'Honeymoon" was over, I was ready for the exercise portion to begin. I let the surgery do its job. I paid very close attention to what I ate before the Honeymoon was over. NOT an ideal plan, but its what I decided was best for me. I'm a treadmill junkie and strength train a lot also.