Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 11 days not so sure I want to do this!

This is the time I should be Happy, I thought I was pretty sure I wanted to do this. But the closer I get to the date im having more doubts. I think especially since i started my 2 week diet I feel that I don't want to give up the food i have always known. I honestly never thought before I had a issue with food. If that makes sense. I never been a big eater just eat the wrong things. I just keep on thinking of food all the good things i want to eat and want to continue eating. I think to myself maybe its better that I stay fat. I know there's someone out there that can understand where im coming from. I need to hear from you guys. No one i have in my circle understands where im coming from.

This is the time I should be Happy' date=' I thought I was pretty sure I wanted to do this. But the closer I get to the date im having more doubts. I think especially since i started my 2 week diet I feel that I don't want to give up the food i have always known. I honestly never thought before I had a issue with food. If that makes sense. I never been a big eater just eat the wrong things. I just keep on thinking of food all the good things i want to eat and want to continue eating. I think to myself maybe its better that I stay fat. I know there's someone out there that can understand where im coming from. I need to hear from you guys. No one i have in my circle understands where im coming from.[/quote']

You know it's just the food demons talking, right? You are taking away their fuel.

I can't tell you what to do. I can only tell you about my experience. Spent years in Overeaters Anonymous and we had a saying that "when the pain of where you are is worse than the fear of where you are going, that's when you will make a change."

For me, I was in such pain and worried about a future of the complications of my diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease, that the surgery was a way to save my life. And I wanted to be able to eat like a normal person, and not always be ruled by my bottomless pit of a stomach.

I can still eat whatever I want, just not large amounts of it. And hooray! What a relief! I've also found that I no longer want to eat the things that made me fat. I seek out Protein first, then things with Fiber. If there is any room left then I have a treat. Not usually much room left though.

I'll tell you something else that's different -- my personality. My friends remark how they see me much more than they ever had before. Of course they do. I no longer turn down invites because I am sick, or depressed or have no clothes I can fit into. I feel completely different and am happy to go out and have fun. Sure most going out involves food, but after I have my bit of food, I find I can sit back and enjoy my friends a lot more when I am not obsessing over the food.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

you will be able to enjoy food again, just not in the quantity you were consuming before the surgery (I had the same worries). I am 5 months out from the sleeve procedure and I had my first slice of pepperoni pizza today (my birthday celebration at work) I was able to eat the entire slice (the most food I have eaten in 5 months) and though I was worried about weight gain, I wanted the pizza and allowed myself to enjoy the party.

You will have days when you doubt the decision, and worry you will never enjoy a meal again. The time after the surgery is short considering the rest of your life at a normal weight.

Hang in there. List the pros and cons to the surgery. If you still have doubts, postpone the surgery till you feel it is right, but don't let this be the sabotage that keeps you from meeting your goal to get down to a healthy weight.

I feel ya, girl!!!!! We have the same date and are suffering through this pre op craziness together. I freaked out on about day 7 and got a cheeseburger!!! This food thing is an addiction for me and right now it is consuming my every thought. The obsession and compulsions are going crazy. Like the above poster said, it is the food demons ( I choose to call it addiction) trying to keep me sick. But seriously, all I have been thinking about is food, even if my tummy is full of Protein Shake. I keep having to be reminded that I am not starving to death, and I am doing this to help me live a better life. I don't have any doubts about having the surgery, I just wish it would hurry up and get here!!!

I don't know much at all about food addiction, but I do know about addiction in general. In most addictions, people do not really want to change until they reach their bottom. Or until the pain of staying the way they are is greater than the fear or pain of changing. When you just know you can't keep doing what you're doing. When you feel you absolutely must stop letting the addiction rule your life. For example, an alcoholic or drug addict craves the next drink or the next fix, but that craving has taken over and someone's life just keeps getting worse and worse. In these addictions, you must want to change, otherwise you're not ready and it won't work. While it's difficult to sabotage the sleeve, I guess if there's a will, there's a way. Unfortunately, some addicts never get ready and wind up dead, in jail or killing someone else.

As was said above, you will be able to eat your favorite foods again, most likely, but it will be months before that will happen. One of the many reasons I'm getting the sleeve is because it will take away my hunger to a great extent. I am so tired of being hungry all the time.

Edited by SassySenior

Sassy, I thought that I would not be hungrey either (Google "Ghrelin") and was warned that this is not always the case..

I am 4 months out and from early on I would get hungry, but I am strict and regular about the plan and a little Water or food does fill me up.

As to the thread, Soonerorlater, reseach and make sure you are ready for a change. Surgery does not allow you to call "take back". 80+% of your stomach is gone forever. And yes you can eat anything, but some folks DO regain all the weight by failing to keep their head in the game.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, this is a good process. But it will take work and committment.

Best of luck!!!

And I wanted to be able to eat like a normal person, and not always be ruled by my bottomless pit of a stomach.

Could not agree more!

This is the time I should be Happy, I thought I was pretty sure I wanted to do this. But the closer I get to the date im having more doubts. I think especially since i started my 2 week diet I feel that I don't want to give up the food i have always known. I honestly never thought before I had a issue with food. If that makes sense. I never been a big eater just eat the wrong things. I just keep on thinking of food all the good things i want to eat and want to continue eating. I think to myself maybe its better that I stay fat. I know there's someone out there that can understand where im coming from. I need to hear from you guys. No one i have in my circle understands where im coming from.

I agree with the posters above about you being able to enjoy the same things after surgery. From your original post you stated that it wasn't quantity that is your issue, it's what you're eating. Sleeve or no sleeve, if you're not committed to making those changes than it might be something you want to tackle before you have surgery.

The best thing you can do for yourself is be honest going into it. You may not be willing to give up the vices just yet and that's ok. Only you will know for sure.

For me, I was ready and willing to change whatever I needed to for this to work. We all have our 'a-ha' moments that start us off. Surgery sounds great and "easy" to some but there is work involved and you have to be ready for it to get the most out of it.

The sleeve will only limit how much you can put in , not what you eat. I applaud your willingness to question yourself and get feedback. I think we are all stronger than we think. For me, the desire to be healthy far outweighed my desire for certain foods.

All that being said, I do not regret one single minute I've been sleeved. It was what I needed, when I needed it. I feel better, I look better and I enjoy my life in more ways that I did before.

Good luck!!

Edited by JerseyGirl68

I am hoping to have the sleeve in December. I too, went to Overeaters Anonymous for years. I've reached the point where I cannot continue like this. I am so blessed to NOT have diabeties or high blood pressure or other co-morbidities but my joints have reached the point that if I don't do something---I"m not going to be able to work, even an office job, much longer. I was crying on my way into work today, because the pain in my back and knees was so bad when i got up this morning. I pray every day my insurance will approve this surgery.

Like the others have said, if your not ready you have to seriously consider doing this now. I am 100% committed to this. I will do whatever I have to because I cannot live with this level of pain anymore.

I wish you the best. I was thinking this morning that those blessed with good health have no idea how fortunate they are.

You must tell yourself if you’re doing this for the right reasons, if you have doubt about eating the foods that made you how you are today; you are DEFINITELY not mentally ready for this surgery!!

You should fully commit (mentally) to this change in becoming a healthier you. I truly do not miss any of the foods that Made me a FAT UNHEALTHY MAN!! This surgery was an aide to help me become a healthier me, that means eating healthier…and no more fad diets for me…Eating healthy and working out is the right approach.

I hope you can truly commit to this awesome new way of living, because you’ll love the amazing results once you are committed both mentally and physically!!

If you cannot commit this isn't the right approach for you!!

Think about the reasons you wanted to do this in the first place. If those reasons are still valid then this is the right move for you. You will lose weight after this surgery. However.. and really hear this from me and others..if your not fully committed to keeping the weight off you will gain it back and it will be harder to get rid of, then you've wasted money, some agony and time. Your making a life time decision. your stomach will be smaller..you will not be able to eat as much as you can eat now. I'm a two year vet and I enjoy everything I used to eat.. all be it.. in smaller amounts.. but the smaller amounts satisfy me even now. I warn again though.. if I over indulge I will gain weight. You want to really be committed to this life style change your embarking on or you will be unhappy.

Have you tried losing by other methods? A lot of us resort to this surgery because other methods have failed us, and we need the help the VSG tool will provide. If you find you are always eating "the wrong things" it may be a good idea to get some counseling around food. Try new things, maybe even a few Weight Watchers classes to learn how to eat and what a normal portion size is. It just seems to me that

you're not ready for this yet.

You have to be ready, but don't let fear keep you from this!

I think you should get in with a counselor. He might be able to help you with your mentality toward food (if you are ready to truly change!). The sleeve requires a commitment of eating lots of Protein and vegetables. If you are used to eating badly, I suggest seeing a nutritionist for awhile. If you are committed to the process they can help you find nutritional things you like and can teach you proper portion sizes.

I DO understand the doubt before surgery though. For me, it all boiled down to being afraid of failing. I didn't really focus on missing food, but I did focus on "I have been fat my whole life, I don't think I can be thin. I'll always binge on food, I don't know how NOT to." But, I realized FOR ME I was trying to self sabotage. I don't know what it will be like to be thin, but Im 6 weeks post op, and LOVING my sleeve :)

Only you can know whether you are truly prepared for this journey.

Best of luck to you :)

I know how you feel I gain so much weight with kids , and I try every diet there is I lose then I never get pass the mark, am 55 now and ready to do this, 5 years ago no I was scare ? Now I can't wait, it will be the best thing for me , am 5:2 and 250 down. 244 doing pre op nov 19 is my day ! Good luck !