Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

mare and shelbi~sorry, I wrote a reply to yoiur preo-op yesterday and lost it, so here goes from what I can remember. Dr. K will go over more details, questionss and concerns, he wil give you a packet of papers to take with you on your big day, give you some prescriptions for post op (pain meds and anti nausea suppositories), ummmmm tell you to buy some hibicleans stuff to wash your abdomen with a day or was it two days before surgery?? sign some papers, go over when and where you are going. I think that was about it??? Gals, did I miss anything????

Hi All,

Haven't checked in for a while... just thought I'd pass on a bit more about my experience with Dr. K. I was banded July 18th, and things have been going really well so far.

Dr. K. laughed and told me that he himself had recently developed an allergy to Hibiclens, so, he is now using Betadene for his antibacterial scrub. He said that I should use the Hibilens I had already purchased though.

I guess I will be going back to Denver for my fills when the time comes. I called the two best lap surgeons in this region yesterday and was told flatly that they wouldn't touch me...THANKS!

One of the dr's nurses was decent about it, the other was quite rude. I'm in a remote area also, and have to drive 90 miles just to get on an airplane in another state to go to Denver, but, I guess thats just what has to be done. I'm hoping to get at least two before winter sets in.

For those of you who will have surgery at Crown Point, it is an absolute jewel of a facility. Its brand new, and very elegant. Walking in, you'll hear lovely piano music... I had to laugh, it sounded so close, then I realized it was coming from a big black grand piano in the atrium area... a "player piano" no less! It just plays and plays and plays... very pretty.

The huge glass windows in the front even look a bit like some kind of a crown jewel. You could swear you've walked into some elegant hotel instead of a hospital. They will give you some literature that if you look closely at the bottom will state that the facility is owned by Dr. K along with some other Drs. It only took a few minutes to walk there from the Holiday Inn Select. You will have to cross a couple of traffic 'roundabouts', but, it was very easy to see the traffic, and the traffic was quite sparse... no problems at all getting across.

I stayed at the H-I Select because it was so close to Crown Point. I just did not want to go to all the hassle of renting a car when I would have had to drive myself following the surgery.... not to mention I didn't have a clue where I was going. Just be aware though that taxis do NOT go to Parker... it is just out too far from Denver. I thought I would be real smart and save some money by taking the shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel. Well, I did save some money, however, it took almost three hours to get from the airport to the hotel. The reason... my sister and I were the ones going the most distance (Parker), and the other eight people on the shuttle were all going other places. I'm quite sure we saw most of the city of Denver as the driver took these other folks to their destinations...I had a dizzy headache by the time we finally got to the hotel.

My pre-op with Dr. K was scheduled for the next morning. I asked the lady at the hotel desk for the names and numbers of taxi services... thats when I found out that they don't go there. However, she very kindly recommended a car service that a lot of guests use, and even called them for me and set up our ride for the following morning. Surprisingly, it cost only a little more than a taxi would have. It is about a twenty-plus minute ride from Parker to Dr. K's office in Aurora. The driver said to just call him when we were ready to return to the hotel, so, I got my perscriptions. We walked about a half-mile to a resturaunt for dinner, then, the car came back for us. The car service was excellent. I knew for a certainty that I could not stand riding that shuttle bus back to the airport following the surgery. We were all stuffed in there like a bunch of sardines, and it was very hot, especially with all the stop and go, and we would have had to pick up passengers all over Denver again, and there was no guarantee of getting to the airport on time. So, I said the hell with it, cancelled the return trip on the shuttle, and decided to go with the car service for the return trip to the airport. It did cost me more money, but, in the long run it was well worth it to me. The service was called 'Cartier Limo'. However, it was not a limo, it was simply a very comfortable town car. The driver wouldn't let us pick up our luggage, he did it all, and drove us right up to our curbside check-in location. It took about 30-mins to get to the airport from Parker. ;)

I just can't say enough good things about the people at the H-I Select. After my pre-op app't, we were back in the hotel, it was about 8:00 pm, and time for the (yuck) suppository! We started digging through the shopping bags, and of course the stinkin' suppositories had gone missing somewhere. You absolutely MUST have your suppository before surgery...crap! Since we were there without a vehicle, and there are no pharmacies that weren't miles away, I asked the lady at the desk it there was one which might deliver. There wasn't, however, she said that in just a few minutes one of their maintence workers was getting ready to leave, and she would have him go pick up whatever I needed... I'm telling you, I was ready to start bawling by then as I was getting pretty emotional about the next day. She gave me the number of a pharmacy to call and order what I needed, and within a half-hour, Jose was back with it at my door. I gave him a nice tip and was happy to do so. The next day, following the surgery, one of the other ladies at the desk told me, 'hon, you just call over here when you're ready to come back, and we'll send someone over to pick you up'. When it was time, their assistant general manager drove right up to the hospital door and picked us up and drove us back to the hotel. Didn't cost us a dime. Now how is that for great service?

The people at the airport were just as kind. I was feeling a little wobbly after getting through security, and was going to just sit for a few minutes before beginning that VERY long walk to our concourse. (the moving walkway was shut down for some reason). Anyway, one of the female security officers must have seen that I was tired, and she came over to me and told me to wait right there, and she called one of the cars for me to take me through the entire airport... what a blessing!

When I come for the fills, I will probably stay overnight in Aurora, and I will be glad to be back in Denver. Its a great city. Egads... I've written a book and didn't mean to!

Best of luck to all who will be cared for by Dr. K. We are definitely the "Lucky 7's" !!!

JFK~ well, you had some moments before your surgery, but it looks like everything was well taken care of for you. You may have mentioned it before, but where did you travel from for your surgery? Congratulations on being banded. It can be quite the adventure, as it has been for me! There have been some tense moments but I have enjoyed the ride so far. Sounds like you had a good experience with the Crown Center Surgical Center too. I've never been treated so well by a facility.

" We started digging through the shopping bags, and of course the stinkin' suppositories had gone missing somewhere. You absolutely MUST have your suppository before surgery...crap!"

You poor thing! I can't imagine. I was fairly stressed about this too, and to go through what you went through with this...oh my! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...or so they say! :)

Okay, everyone...I will be out of town in Phoenix from Nov 1-Nov 6. There are to be no big get-togethers planned during this time!!!! ;)

There, I said it! Hee hee! I would be heartbroken to miss a chance to meet everyone! Just a note, too, the weather can start getting kinda nasty in November, but is usually still okay in October. (but it is Colorado so who knows what the weather brings? We had snow in June this year!) So all of you who are coming from all over the planet to see Dr. K for fills, check ups, consults, surgery...etc. start working on a date. If we start working on it now, who knows how many of us we can meet! EEEEEEEEEEEEE, this could be fun! (I'd want to do this more than ever go to one of my class reunions! HA! :roll:)

I've lived through 2 days of SB diet. With no cheating I might add.:whoo: Do I step on the scale? Hummm. I'll hafta contemplate this one. If that sucker has gone up more... Has anyone on here started this diet and not lost weight at first? I would love to hear from you about your experience on the South Beach. :)

Have a good day!

Okay, I went up and weighed. I'm up 6 lb. Can someone please explain this to me? I swear, there are no hidden carbs or anything like that in my diet. I ate a small piece of salmon and green Beans for dinner last night. A salad with vinagarette dressing and crab meat for lunch, a scrambled egg with low fat cheese for Breakfast. I had a lowfat cheese stick for a snack. Just like in that stupid diet book. OMG :omg:. I know it's only been two days. And I can accept the not losing anything for two days. But to go up that much???! How many days should I give this? How many pounds should I gain before I stop? Wholly crap. Anyone with knowledge of this, please let me know. Does crying use up calories? :think

Maare/Marilyn :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: I'm sorry. Is there some underlying reason that maybe your husband is afraid of the changes that are about to happen? Maybe you could thank him for sharing his feelings, but ask him to from now on to only express his feelings that are positive in terms of your health? I'm a grazer AND a bulk eater, too. This surgery is our committment to change that and get healthy. Please don't let anyone, for any reason, stand between you and your health! You can do this, girl!!!!

Mal & Lap Dancer & JFK -- Thanks for the pre-op appointment stuff/details. I hope you know how much you are helping me. You guys are the best!

Anita -- 2 days of SB and 6 pounds up??? Are you sure your scales are right? Are you retaining fluids? Somethin' ain't right here. I'd be heading to Target for some new scales.

Tiffany -- My friend and I are staying at the Holiday Inn. My surgery is at 11:00 on the 22nd. I'll pm you my cell phone number -- let's try to get together while we're in Parker! :clap2: In my last post I was referring to Lap Dancer's pre-op thumbs up picture on page 44!;):D:D I'm coming from NC; where are you?

I didn't think it was possible, but I am getting more and more excited. I am such a dork -- I've already started packing and I don't leave for 17 days!

Hi....I just got back from Dr. Kirshenbaum's yesterday and had my lap band placed on Wednesday Aug. 1. He is wonderful!!! I love him!!! He is in it to help people like us. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him at any hour of the day if I had any questions. He has done a bunch of lap bands. He was the first Dr. in Colorado to do laproscopic surgery. The hospital he does it at is top class. It is like a new hospital. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me. I highly recommend him!!! He is so dedicated and in it to help you. He started crying Friday when I left. He is so compassionate and understanding.

Hi everyone!

Woofay - I can't believe that the SB is holding your weight. Could you be catching up from the vacation time from your brother? Sometimes, my weight holds off for a while before showing, but it is totally calories in minus energy expended. Laws of nature. I am sure you will show a drop soon. Remember you are not your weight.

Welcome 1hawgfan and jfk!

Come one come all to Red Robin on Thursday, August 9th at 7pm. Let us know if you will be there.

Hugs.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to post on the Dr K. thread, even though I have followed along for a few months reading your posts. I want to thank all of you for sharing your journey of pre/post banding with me. It has helped me to make the choice for a healthier future.

I had my phone consultation with Dr Kirshenbaum last Monday evening. Yes, he did not hesitate to accomodate an evening call. I have chosen to not tell my work at this point in time, so I was very appreciative he could do this. Also, following along with a pdf file with images and pictures while he described them over the phone was great! He put my mind at ease.

I am soon to be a banded girl!!

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 18th. I am sure I will get nervous & anxious as the date gets closer.

Shelbicallie, Justplainme, Mare5569 - Good luck with your August Band Dates!

Shesha - thank you for starting this thread.

Hello everyone, I haven't been around much for the last week and boy have I missed alot. It's good to hear that everyone is doing good. I will be having my phone consultation with Dr. K next Tuesday the 7th even though my surgery isn't scheduled until October.

Oh by the way, I would like to meet up with y'all in October at the Red Robin.. My surgery is scheduled for the 16th of October with pre op on the 15th. I probably won't get to Denver until the 14th but I will be staying through Thanksgiving. I would love to meet with you when you all decide on a date.

jfk thanks for sharing your experience with us all. It sounds like everthing turned out ok even though it started out a bit rocky. I just love to hear all the nice things every one says about Dr. K. It makes me feel more at ease.

Woofay, I sure hope the pounds have started to come off for you. That sure has to be frustrating. I probably should get the South Beach diet book too.. However, I have already done the Dr. Atkins diet which is very similar to this one. I lost quite a bit of weight on the Atkins diet, but just like all others, the minute you quit them, back comes the weight and then some..

1hawgfan, Congratulations on your band. Sure hope everything is still going well for you.

Mare, So sorry hubby is not on the same page as you and giving you the support that you need. I know that you will find it here, as everyone is the greatest!!

Hope you all have a great weekend.

ShelbiCallie- I just booked my room at Holiday Inn, woohoo!! My surgery will be at 9am on the 22nd!!!! We should deffinitly get together :)

I seen the pics, they where cute! thanks for sharing them Lapdancer :D

Im coming from Missouri. When are you flying in- the 21st?

Lapdancer- thanks for the info on the hotels!

GurlyGirl- Thank you! And congrats on getting a surgery date!

This question is for all the Dr K. post banders....

The day following your surgery did you have a set time to go back into Dr. K's office for your follow up? I will most likely be flying home the next day after surgery and was wondering if flying out later in the afternoon into the early evening would be doable? Or would you recommend staying another night?

How did you all feel 2nd day post op? Is flying this soon out of the question? I do get nauseous very easily, so I am concerned with the post surgery sick feeling. Did any of you experience heavy vomiting?

I have had two c-sections before and was able to manage the pain fine with very minimal pain medication, so I am not too concerned with the surgery pain as I am the nausea.

Oh to be a post bander and have all of this behind me. lol

I had an excellent recovery, but I would still recommend staying in Denver a day before you fly home, if you can. You'll probably still be pretty tired from the surgery, and may be a little sore.

Yes, I did have an appt with Dr. K at 10:00 the morning after surgery. He told my husband while I was recovering that he wanted to see me the next day at that time. I really had no advance warning. It was a good thing I did see him, because the tape over my port became lose and Water from my shower seeped in. He had to clean and recover the incision.

The day following your surgery did you have a set time to go back into Dr. K's office for your follow up? I will most likely be flying home the next day after surgery and was wondering if flying out later in the afternoon into the early evening would be doable? Or would you recommend staying another night?

How did you all feel 2nd day post op? Is flying this soon out of the question? I do get nauseous very easily, so I am concerned with the post surgery sick feeling. Did any of you experience heavy vomiting?

I have had two c-sections before and was able to manage the pain fine with very minimal pain medication, so I am not too concerned with the surgery pain as I am the nausea.

You're welcome! I can't believe how awesome it's become!

Shesha - thank you for starting this thread.

Oh, and they'll give you a patch to put behind your ear after surgery for nausea. You'll also get a prescription for anti-nausea suppositories, so that'a an option as well...yee haw!

There is also an anti nausea medication that I had a Dr. prescribe for me at home here.(after surgery, I had the flu and didn't want to vomit)

It's pretty expensive - like $40.00 for 5 pills - after insurance pays their share. But they disolve under your tounge and work well!

JFK!

You're a crazy typing fool!! tee hee!!

That's great that you put your whole experience out there. It will be good for others. I am happy to hear everything went so well for you!