Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi Gurlygirl- When I had mine done I left the day after surgery. Dr. K wasn't really excited about that, he said he would prefer I stay one more day but he agreed to call in the morning to check on me --everything was ok so he gave his approval for me to leave. :) We had a 9 hour drive home but I am glad I didn't have to fly, it would have been alot to deal with. At least in the car I could wear my holey sweats, streatch out and sleep. I never, ever get nausiated and I was surprised how much I was nausiated after this, but I never had to use the nausia medication. I slept quite a bit the first couple days. Good luck with your band!!

This question is for all the Dr K. post banders....

The day following your surgery did you have a set time to go back into Dr. K's office for your follow up? I will most likely be flying home the next day after surgery and was wondering if flying out later in the afternoon into the early evening would be doable? Or would you recommend staying another night?

How did you all feel 2nd day post op? Is flying this soon out of the question? I do get nauseous very easily, so I am concerned with the post surgery sick feeling. Did any of you experience heavy vomiting?

I have had two c-sections before and was able to manage the pain fine with very minimal pain medication, so I am not too concerned with the surgery pain as I am the nausea.

Oh to be a post bander and have all of this behind me. lol

You guys! Don't be afraid to use the phenergan suppositories! That's why he perscribes them. I know, I know, eeeeeeeeeeeew! I had been doing fine, and then I drank a Protein supplement that did not agree with me at all. I was about 5 days out from surgery. I was pacing and doing all I could not to vomit. Dr. K---"whatever you do, don't vomit!" was all that was going through my head.

My husband looked at me and gave me the "Don't be proud, just use it." And handed me the white glove and suppository.(oh god, yuck) Soooooo, I did.(eeeeeeeeeeeew!) Wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. And the relief started in as little as 3 minutes. Really! I felt a little silly for being so weird about it.

Just thought I would share a little advice! Hee hee! :bounce:

Woofay - I love your honesty. I am sure I will have no problem opting for the suppositories myself. I would much rather do that, than risk throwing up and ripping out the stitches that are securing the band.

On another note....I would like to book my flights soon, so I am going to call Marilyn and ask when Dr K. feels that it will be safe for me to fly home. I would like to fly home the following evening, but if I am going to have to deal with feeling icky, then maybe one more day might be best.

GurlyGirl....I don't post here often, just cause you guys move way too fast for me! But I had my surgery on a Friday and flew home on Sunday. I was a little uncomfortable, but able to get around. the hardest part was getting up and down from the sitting position, as long as I didn't have to do that too much, i was fine.

I also kept the patch on my ear for like 4 days b/c I didn't want to have to have the suppositories! lol.....but I was lucky, I had no naseau at all after!

Good luck to you!

gurlygirl - I had surgery on Tues morn. and flew back to Alaska Thurs night. I had an EXCELLENT recovery (I was at Health South Surgical Center and I thought it was top notch too.) and could've left Wed, but I'm glad I had the extra day. I saw Dr. K on Thurs morning before I left. He did no pre-op testing for me and gave me a prescription for some anti-nausea suppositories (which I didn't need, but good to have just in case). I also had an anti-nausea (scolpamine) patch that was placed behind my ear prior to surgery- gave me dry-mouth, but I was not nauseated at all! I've had 3 c-sections and I recovered from them fast and well...this was NOTHING compared to those! Good luck!

Three weeks now and last night I got totally nervous about my first fill (on the 16th). I'm worried about the needle pain. I was more worried about the doc finding my port...I hadn't felt it until last night when I did some "pushing around"...boy did Dr. K bury it! I had an "incident" with steak the other night, but other than that have been doing well. I have yet to lose any weight, but I'm sure things will start moving when I get that fill. Hey, did any of you have to go on liquids or anything for a day or two following the fill? What's the best protocol to follow?

Woofay - about the weight gain...have you considered that it's "new food" or at least a new diet and your body isn't used to it. Your colon can hold 30 lbs of crap (pun is totally intended!). Give it a few days and see if you have a really good poo. I would bet this is the issue. Not a pleasant thought, but it DOES give some hope! I'm totally with you on the "why not eat what I want if I'm just going to gain" it's in my head...working on getting it out!

Mal - I hope your son is doing better. It's been a while since I read the thread and I was wondering how he's doing.

Michelle - thanks for your positive support and attitude! I'm sorry that I will not be able to make it to Denver...maybe next summer when I can get my MIL out here again to watch the kids. Then we'll all be skinny!

Marcy - I would love to meet up with you again. My fills were pretty much no big deal. The first one, Dr. K got the port right away, but I didn't feel restriction. The second, he used a too short needle and missed the port, then used another needle and I think missed the port, but we thought he was in. No restriction. The 3rd time, he pulled all the saline out, which was less than we thought, because of the miss, so he added a lot and now I have the restriction which is really helping me.

I was a little sore after the fills, but not a big deal.

Woofay - I'm with you. Better suppository than throwing up! It was amazing relief compared to the way nausea made me feel.

Mal - hope your weekend was great.

Everyone - Red Robin on Thursday at 7pm. Let me know if you can come and want directions.

Hello Friends.

Doctor's visit today, it's official, 38 pounds down. This was my first visit to my M.D. since my surgery. He is in Russia but the staff I know very well as well as the other doctor. Very proud of my progress and came into the exam room to hear my story. They said I am "glowing" with enthusiasm.

About the butt. I will shamelessly tell you all that losing weight for me has come at the price of getting a few more "tags" down there. I have a TAIL now coming out my arse. This was a problem exasserbated by detoxing and the foods, weight loss and diabetes.

I have a rule...

*** If it makes the pain go away, I don't care where I have to shove it, I'm there***

I keep lovely pump bottles of moisturizing soap with anti-bacterial cleansing agent in them at each wash station in my house. I keep another bottle next to the toilet and I keep the Hand Gel with Vitamin E and B5 Anti-Bacterial at my keyboard, by the telephone, at each wash station and in my bedroom. You wouldn't know by looking at my house but I am a germ freak.

The brand I use is Bath & Body Works and the fragrance is Coconut Lime Verbena. It smells fresh, clean and is very gentle on the skin.

I do use that moisturizing soap in my Grand Canyon for "a little extra fresh" after going potty.

We must do for ourselves what we would do if we were are own mothers and in my case I do for myself what mother did not. (it is what it is)

In OTHER NEWS: Speaking of mothers...I start therapy tomorrow!!

All kidding aside, I have my 1 PM with my new therapist who specializes in addictions. **I have figured out that there is no giant leap between drinking alcohol to numb and eating food to numb** so addiction counseling it is.

MORE NEWS: Because I can't seem to finish a sentence without thinking of four more and I can't complete a task without beginning another and all the other BECAUSE things I discovered, my doctor put me on Ritalin. I took a test online by CHADD and bombed, I mean poster child for A.D.D. here. My son is on Adderall, my daughter should be so figuring genetics is at play along with the new responsibilities at work, time to grow up and address the problem. And so it is.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Love to everyone!~ You all mean so very much to me!!!

00207thescream8qn.gif

Lap Dancer, Congratulations on your weight loss, that is great!! Good luck to you on your therapy..

Gurlygirl, Thanks for asking the question about nausea. I will be sure to use the patch and or suppository if I have the problem.

Dynamo, I am looking forward to meeting everyone at one of the monthly get togethers at the Red Robin. I think it is great that you help organize these get togethers. I am hoping that I can make it to the October or November one.

congrats, Lap Dancer!!!!! Good going on the weight loss! Congrats also on all the great head work your doing. It seems things are really falling into place for you. That's just awsome! :clap2:

Ahoy my friends,

I have returned from the hills and had a fabulous time. You really can't take a day away from LBT, lots of catch up reading to do.

Lap~good for you on your appointment tomorrow. Keep us posted on your experience. I am thinking of looking into a Therapist for me. I hope your T and meds will be the right blend for you.

Dynamo~I am soooo happy for you that your fill is good! I can't wait for mine.

Marcy~sounds like you are doing great too! Your first fill is on the 16th, my second fill is the 17th! There's nothin' to it, youll be fine! Thanks for asking about my son...he is still in limbo...he is still driving me up all the walls!!!

Woofay~put that scale away (at least for a while), give yourself space from the evil numbers!! You are doing fantastic and the SB diet will do it's job along with your band. I found the book on biblio for a buck too!!! I am seriously thinking about trying it too. Your 40 lbs is a great accomlishment.

everyone else~hope all is moving along well!

Have a great day!!!

Good Morning, my gals!

Mal~ I know I need to put that "Evil Creation From Hell" (the scale) away. But just...can't... seem...to do it! (Say that like Captain Kirk) Hee hee!

But, after 5 days of the SB diet, I'm now back down to where I was when I started it. Really, it makes no sense. But not being up always puts a smile on my face. (Dynamo~ I know, I know! I'm more than a number. I wish I could believe that in my mind!) I'm tracking the progress and I'll ask the Good Doc today what he makes of it. I have an appointment this afternoon. Maybe I'll go in a little early and hopefully get outta there before the monsoon hits again. We have had storms in the afternoon here that make me want to huddle in the basement like my little doggy does! Rush hour in it just does not sound like fun. The other night we had 3 inches of rain in an hour and a half.

Anyways, I plan to get about .3cc put in. (like the subject change?) Hopefully that will do it. Maybe he will calibrate it again and see whats in there? Talk to you all this evening.

Can't wait for Thursday night! Who all will be there??? Come one locals...lets do it! :bounce:

Hi everyone!

I think you all definitely win for the largest thread going... :hail:

I popped in once a few weeks ago but now I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. K on September 5th. I'm scared and excited all at the same time.

The original plan was to wait until January because we were going to adopt a little girl this month and we wanted her to be a little older to travel well. Well it turns out that the birthparents changed their minds and I believe that I have a different path to follow right now as we are waiting for our next match. I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer and I'm doing something for me!

Jenn :confused:

sometimes this site drives me crazy -

Anyway - Hiya Peeps!

littleroo1 - I went through the same process of adoption 20 years ago and wouldn't you know it? Two babies came to me through designated adoptions. I was 37 and wasn't going to reject any comers, well aware that 50% of birthparents change their minds even after the baby is with you. I kept the mantra "2, 1 or none" going for 8 months. Both babies stuck and were definitely meant for me. I can't imagine trying to lose weight and adopt at the same time. I understand what you are saying about a focus on you, you deserve to be healthy, and you must have a really strong marriage and constitution to deal with the stressors. Best wishes and good luck! I admire you.

nicnaknut - whata name! Come on meet us on Thursday. We can answer any of your questions and support you through your process. You are welcome any time however.

Mal and Woofay - it may be just us again. I invited people on the Colorado Anyone? thread too. No responses that I know of. Maybe we are the social ones. I know it is hard to go out there, with the weight to meet new people.

Woofay - good luck on your fill. I seem to be fighting mine. More headwork I guess. But I am really restricted!

Hugs and see you two on Thursday.

One more time - Come one, come all to Red Robin on Thursday, August 9th at 7 pm. It is located just west on Arapahoe and I25. You don't have to eat or drink anything - just kidding, join us!!!!

Has anyone had surgery by him? 8/16 surgery date and I have not heard anyone mention him? He represents True Results. Thanks.

Red Robin this thursday!!

thought I would do some promoting here for the event.

Well gang I am now into therapy. Right now she opened some sores so I'm feeling pained. I can tell you five things:

Each day I must do something solely for myself.

Each day I must journal what I did for myself in my "Recovery Journal".

I must join OA and can do so online now. So shortly I will go to their place and join up for Overeatings Anonymous. I will begin working their program and starting the 12 steps.

I will begin THINKING that I am already at my goal weight.

I will tell my mother "When you do XXX... It makes me feel XXXX and I need you to stop."

...........................................................................................

So that is my work for this next week and then I followup next Thursday.

And so it begins.

I've dropped a full size now and bought new clothes for school. Feeling very optimistic now.

Love to you all and hugs your way.

Patty