Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Lap~Sorry to hear you are in a funk. You always brighten my day! You have a wonderful infectious spirit about you. The funk is deffinatly gong around, I too find myself not up to par lately. Too much "drama" in my life., I did find it very helpful to "just do it" attitude and I hit the gym last night, it made me feel great! I was so glad that I did it, all the pented up drama was deffinatly released after a good work out. Now I am looking foward to more tonight! I haven't been in like almost three weeks! IT was a nice escape for me.

How is your art going? and your son? what about your sister, is she back to work? It would be great to see you again! Hang in there my friend, we are going to make it through this "funk" and soar!!!

THE FUNK! I HATE THE FUNK! I too, feel like I might be in a bit of a funk.:( So, I'm trying to get myself outta the funk. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to join Slim-N-Tone and start trying to get some of these pounds off. Work it, Baby! Ha! Also.....don't faint....I've started the dreaded South Beach Diet today.:omg::):omg::Banane20::omg::):omg::eek: I finally read the book that I've had for quite some time, and thought, what the H**L, I suppose 2 weeks of a hard diet won't kill me. I think that I'll do okay when it liberalizes some. Dr. K says it will do everything we want it to do with this band, so I trust him. But this first two weeks! :omg: I went over to my favorite WallyMart and bought some foods that I would not normally ever buy. I'm there. I did it. I will do it. This band will help me eat the different foods I need to eat to be healthier and thinner. I've lost 40lbs and I can do the rest too. Yeah! (did that sound positive?) :whoo:

Dynamo~I love the invitation! It's maaaaaahvelous! And you can count me in! I'll be there! There, there, there! Any other locals want to get together?!! The support is amazing! The band is a tool and it takes all kinds of other work to get it where you want it to be! Come join us!

Mal! Glad you went back to the gym! That first go is the toughest! (I'm living proof of that! hee hee!) Can't wait to see you next thursday!

Lap Dancer~ yes, the ex-step-niece! Okay, my brother married this woman forever ago that already had a 2 year old. She was a very sweet little girl. Well, 10 years later my brother and this woman split up, very abruptly, and I haven't seen my little step niece in 6 years. She turned 18 and decided that she wanted to see my brother again as he was the most stable "dad" she had. Our family always loved her unconditionally and she was "ours" for 10 years regardless of the fact that my brother wasn't her biological father. So, she wanted to connect with all of us again. We used to live in Phx, but not anymore. So my brother brought her up here to see us all. It was really great. Just because someone is taken from you doesn't mean the love stops. It was quite the reunion. She turned into such a beautiful, smart, young woman. At first it was a bit weird, but by the end it was like no time was missed. Strange that she drives now and goes to college and moved out to get away from the craziness of all the family stuff. Hard to suddenly see that little girl driving...so adult and all. But it was wonderful to get her back!

So that's my long story of my ex-step-niece! hee hee! :)

Have a great night, Everyone!

Woofay! You are sooo ispirational, I love it!!! You are going to do FABULOUS on the south beach diet. What book did you get...I have been thinking about it and you just helped me "think" about it again!!! Keep up the motivation, it is soooo awesome!!!

I decided (don't know why) to re-measure myself and I have lost an inch everywhere, except my calves (I gained an inch there??)...maybe all the walking??? anyway it was a nice booster becasue the scales is not moving!!!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to post a quick introduction, and say thank you to all that have been posting on this thread for the last several months. I have followed your journies, and through them I have decided to be banded with Dr. K !! I am super excited, yet nervous. As Im sure you can all relate. I have my consultation with Dr. k tomorrow at 11:30, and then my surgery is sheduled for August 22nd!!! wooohoooo!!

I do have one question for you guys. How far is the hospital from the Dr's office?

I hope to get to know everyone and congrats on all the bands!

just~Congrats on your decision! You wanted to know how far the surgical center is from his office? Well, he uses two, one right accross the street from his office, but I had mine done at Crown Center in Parker and it is about a 15-20 minute drive from his office. Are you local? You are more than welcome to meet at Red Robin with us Aug 9th! We would love to meet ya'!!

Best wishes and there are enough of us Dr. K bandsters here to tell you that he and his staff will take great care of you!

Hi Mal!

No Im not local :) To bad, because a meet up sounds like alot of fun!

Another ? for ya, do you choose or does Dr. k choose which place you will have surgery? I'd like to book my hotel stay based on which facility I will be at.

Wonderful people. You inspire me!

Tiffany, best of luck. You won't be sorry.

Mal, what a sweetie. Thanks for the kind words.

Anita, hoorah on the South Beach. (great place BTW)

I wanted to tell you all that I decided to go into therapy for food addiction. When things are meant to be at a certain place, they go smooth as pudding for me. Once I decided to call my insurance company, they only had two in my county who did addiction counseling. Both were on the other side of my very large county. I asked for the county just north of me and the woman is 20 minutes from me and due west, 15 from my employer. The receptionist was quite familiar with my employer and said they had a special program through work that I get four free evals under my insurance provision. I need to do some HEAD WORK for sure.

New Years Eve. I said this would be the year all about me so here we go.

Lap Dancer~ congrats on your decision for counseling. Let me know how it goes. (you can pm me on your opinion of it...nothing personal of course) Might be needing some of my own also.

Mal~ Thanks for the kind words....heehee! Its a book that says "The South Beach Diet", by Arthur Agatston, MD. It's a hard back and I got it off of Biblio.com. I paid a whole buck for it. (used) It's in perfect condition. (all the books I get through them have been in great condition). I also got the small book to go with it called South Beach Diet, Good Fats Good Carbs Guide. I paid a buck for it also. I've had it since a week after surgery, hee hee! Flipped through it and said, "eeeeeeeeeeeew, no way". And Dr. K continues to tell me to go home and read it. He recommends it for everyone, not just his lap band patients. So I finally did. (three months later!) So, I'll let you know if it's made any difference. I think I got all the bad food outta my system with my brother! You're going Thursday, right? (you hafta)

Dynamo~hows your funk today? Hopefully doing better.

Justplainme~ congrats! Sure wish you were local...:o. Maybe we'll all figure something else out to somehow, someday meet up! It'll happen. We've met Marcy from Alaska, Lap Dancer from Florida...we'll add Tiffany from Missouri! Are you coming here for your fills and post care, or are you finding something closer for that? Welcome to the board!

Okay, have a good night....and I'm not dreaming about a nice fried pile of potatoes, okay? I'm not! With extra salt and melted cheese...maybe some sour cream. I'm not. Potatoes are bad. Very bad! Hee hee!:)

Woofay - I am doing better because I went and worked out. There is something about those endorphins that really helps me cope better. My band is really restrictive and I tried two kinds of Chinese food tonight, both PB'ed, and then one of my dogs got on the chair and ate the food left in the bowl. I gave up on dinner and had a yogurt and a Healthy Choice bar, which go down easily. Tomorrow I will have a Protein shake.

I am supposed to have another fill next week, that I think I will cancel. I don't see that I need any more restriction.

Lap Dancer - I am so proud of you for doing the head work. I have been going to therapy for a long time, but since banding my sessions have been very powerful. I think that not eating to take care of me emotionally opens up all sorts of things I need to work on. I am trying to be very brave and gentle with myself. Last week's session was about my family. If I lose weight and get healthy will they win? Because my weight has been my retaliation for their abuses about my weight. My therapist said that I need to consider that the family isn't the winner if I lose weight, even though they may think they are and say cruel, mindless judgmental things. It had a profound impact on my thinking. Some of my stuff is sooooooooooooo old. Therapy is another tool, like the band.

Mal - how is your son? You haven't mentioned anything recently, I hope that is because things are good. Hurray for exercise, it is the one place you are moving, because you choose to and not because someone else "needs" you.

Hugs all - hope everyone is considering the 9th at Red Robin at 7pm. Write for directions!

Michelle

Thanks for the welcome Woofay. Ya'll are great :)

Yes, I think I will be coming to denver for fills. They are $300-400 here. Just ridiculous in my opinion.

Woo Hoo!! I get to update my ticker!! April 7th was the last time. I lost a pound!!! I am so happy I got my port fixed!!:)

Congrats Shesha! You have been doing so great, hanging in there after all you have been through! Way to go!

Woofay~Yes, I plan on being at Red Robin (unless my drama has me too emotional). Thank for the book info, I have seen so many different titles, I wasn't sure which one to start with?? I forgot about that book site, I'll have to check it out, sounds great! I love your mindset! LOVE IT!!

Lap and Dyno~Therapy is a move that I really need in my life. Good for you. I have been through many therapists with my son but have yet to get one for myself...someday! I am a fir believer in therapy, just haven't made the time for myself...typical

Just~Dr. K decides where he is doing the surgery, he just lets us know where and when to show up.

Dynao~thanks for asking about my son. We still don't know what the problem is. They think it is a muscle tear some where in the abdomen and groin??? The only thing he can do is rest and motrin. No work for a while, they say it could take months. He is is terrible pain all the time, he is grumpy and very impatient, which is driving me up ALL the walls! He has had a tough go for so many years, this is yet another challenge for him.

I am off to the mountians tomorrow for some well desreved fresh air, relaxation, good friends and lots of drinking!!!

CHEERS!!:)

Shesha -- congratulations on that pound gone and the new port!!:whoo:

Justplainme --- Hi, it's great to meet you and so cool that I'll probably see you on the 22nd!! Marilyn has already told me that I'll be having surgery at Crown Point. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn across the way the night before so let's really do try to get together, even though we'll both probaby be NPO at that point. Maybe we can re-create the Lap Band Dancer pre-op thumbs up pose in a photo? (See page 44-- it always makes me feel better to look at that shot when I'm nervous about this whole deal!) This is so cool!!!!

Hey Maare/Marilyn, Only 12 days left until your big day! I'd like to hear the answer to your pre-op appointment questions too. Anyone? Anyone? (said in my best Ferris Bueller's teacher voice)