Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg I Just Ate Cake 8 Days After Surgery

Mishy.. as you can tell we all care for you. We just want you successful and healthy. For anybody reading this ...this is why psych, nut eval and diets are important. We all need help...

Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread. I do now understand that I am setting myself up for sabotage if I cannot gain any self control. I will be in control from now on. I will make myself a promise right now, to follow the post op diet to the letter. It was given to me for a reason. So I could not harm my body. And what I have been doing is exactly that, harming myself and not caring, taking a risk. I don't want to die, I don't want to end up in hospital. The thing is, I feel good, I feel normal. I am having a great recovery, i have been up and about ever since I got home from the hospital. I have so much energy I just don't know what to do with myself! I used to just sit and watch tv a lot and eat or snack. Junk food was my best friend. Now, watching tv is kind of boring without eating, so I try not to do it so much. I think it would be better once I start exercising. I have my post op appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and my nut the day after. Thank you again to everyone, I really do appreciate your help and support. Xx

Mishy, youll grow stronger as time passes. Just remember the important stuff (family and friends) and don't jeopardize your time with them! You did this to win and you can do it!

It takes time to adjust, you will be successful, I'm still adjusting but I remember all these same feelings that I read about through pre sleevers and just sleeved.. I'm only 8 weeks out but its so true .. time helps..pretty soon you will be on here helping someone cope..its a process and a journey. :)

(((Hugs)))

All I can say is to ask you this question- If you asking someone to cut you open, remove the majority of you stomach and go through the pain, time and expense to have this surgery is not enough motivation for you to do as you are told by your Dr. then you will not be very successful with your weight loss.

You need to realize you have done something voluntarily to your body that has changed you life forever. You do not have a choice, do it or hurt yourself. Wake up, buy in and enjoy the ride.

"Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall." - Oliver Goldsmith

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but I like the quote above. ;) You are "getting up" and learning from this. Stay strong!!

Mishy, I have to say that we all make mistakes, but this one could be really serious for you and your body. I see that you have committed yourself to doing better in the future, which is awesome! :) I hope that you do take the advice to see a therapist to help you deal with your food addiction. I'm not slamming you. I've been pretty open that I see a therapist for my food and other issues. I want to see you posting your successes as time goes on and I don't want to see a thread from you that you have complications because you couldn't wrap your head around the post-op requirements. This is a tough journey. Asking for help is a good thing and you've done exactly that by posting here.

I agree that using My Fitness Pal is a great thing. It helps you know exactly where you're at in relation to your goals. It also gives you a way to track whether you're meeting your Water and Protein goals per day.

Despite waiting 6 months, counseling and seeing a nutritionist...I cheat! I am 3 months out and I am human. None of us got here because we could effectively stick to a diet. The difference for me this time, is that I am forced to not slide too far and it is so much easier to get back on track. I have good days and bad days. My psychological make up likely won't change....but i am working on it. Please, please don't beat yourself up.

I think its important for everyone to remember that even though the procedure is the same, its path afterwards is different for everyone. I did the pre-surgery psych visits, I learned some great things but until I had the surgery I didnt fully understand what it meant to implement them. I was just like you, I tried two bites of cake 10 days post op, I felt awful - physically awful, but I learned that I cant eat cake. In fact, I cant eat anything that is bread related or Pasta related. My body fights it. I am almost four months post op and every now and then try to eat something that I know my body cant handle, its instinctive. Everyone knows that your brain is a very powerful tool but for sleevers you really understand that to a new level, it takes on an entirely new meaning. For most of us, eating was out of habit or was a way to soothe our emotions.

I agree with the previous posters you dont want to do anything to hurt your new stomach, its very sensitive right now. The liquid diet isnt any fun, its mundain, repetative and more than anything boring! Try to change your focus to other things that food. I had a really hard time adjusting at first. I knew what I had done to my body but I couldnt fully understand what that was going to do to me emotionally. All at once I felt as though every vice that I had was gone - I couldnt eat, I couldnt drink and while I could shop I didnt want to because it wasnt going to fit for very long. I turned to weekend trips, long walks on the beach, changed my hair, got a massage and have been reading.

For what its worth, Im proud of you for having the courage to admit your fault and move forward from it. Thats the best way to learn what works and what doesnt. Remember its not just weight that you will be losing, the losing will have different effects to your body. My doctor told me that as long as I kept my Water and Protein intake at the right levels nothing else mattered. Focus your nourishment on what will have the best impact to your hair, teeth and skin. Those are all important to consider as your body begins to change. Keep your head up, before you now it you will be done with the liquid diet and changing your focus. :)

You can try to spin this anyway you like to justify eating cake 8 days after surgery when you're suppose to be on a losing program, but it doesn't make any damn sense. What the hell are you playing at? Really, I'm at a loss. You were given a diet plan so that you can lose weight. You have small window in which to accomplish the lost of the majority of weight and you have just pissed it away. If you were 6 months after surgery, I would find some sympathy, but 8 days is just telling me and others, you're just messing about. Your head in not in it. All those cakes, Cookies and pies ain't going anywhere obviously. They will all be there once you reach goal or are close to goal. Contact a mental health professional, because you're going to need some help navigating your thought process when it comes to food. Wishing you tons of luck.

There are a couple of things going on here.

Lack of focus

Lack of willingness

Lack of discipline

My cousin said something that was freeing to me and also insightful. She said "Just because you have WLS - it does't stop you from liking the things that you liked. That doesn't go away. But, WLS does help you navigate more successfully with your diet"

I think the blow back to this person is that it's 8 flipping days after surgery. It's perplexing. It doesn't make sense. And for many of us who struggle to stick our diet it's distressing. We all know we have a small window of opportunity to lose the majority of our weight. I'm personally in the home stretch of a personal goal with my weight. And the last 25lbs are doing my head in! I can only imagine the pain and heartache this woman is going to experience because she didn't do the work up front.

The sleeve will not have failed her; she will have failed herself.

I'm sad for her. And really, she's needs a foot on her arse for this dumb stunt she has pulled. She risked her life having this surgery for blessed Mary sake! Survived the surgery by the grace of God. But is now pissing the gift away.

I'm sad, because she will probably never know just how wonderful life can and will be when you have taken the reigns of your life back.

Cake and ice cream in it's previous form is not even on my plate at six months out. I do however have recipes for Protein cake and Protein ice cream - both sugar free BTW.

I think a lot of us get frustrated after we have been tracking every molecule that goes into our mouths, chewing food to mush, gathering healthy food and recipes, going through this huge process and then hearing something like this. It's a face-palm moment.

I was on CLEAR liquid for two weeks pre and post-op. Then 2 weeks of full. Then 2 weeks puree.

Seriously, there are some who say junk food is fine in moderation for a sleeved person much later on, but we are the formerly obese. Most junk food slides and if we keep the bad habits we will eat around our sleeves and be fat forever.

I'm hiking up Mt. Whitney next year and going into the Grand Canyon backpacking. I WILL NOT BE GIVING MY LIFE UP. I AM NOT GOING BACK.

I'm not over-reacting. The OP needs a wake up call. I am praying she gets it. We HAVE to change.

I'm sure no one was trying to judge or belittle anyone, but instead, out of concern for a fellow addict we were trying to point out the seriousness of the issue. Thisnt a diet program someone cheated on, it can be life or death...it's major surgery and I'd hate to see the real concerns not being addressed while someone s hugging you and saying it will all be ok. It may not be ok, only her doctor can give a qualified answer to that and I for one won't mince words when it comes to someone's safety.

As to the counseling issue....most of us need it :). Most offices have it for a reason. So that we can all learn to do the right thing for our bodies long term. She mentioned she didn't have pre or post op counseling...I think that if she is willing to risk such huge stakes while healing that she should get the proper form of health because I don't want to read she has a leak next week. Counseling isn't an insult. It's help that most of us need.

Good response. Judgmental? Think of what her surgeon would say. I would be FURIOUS!

There is some serious head-hunger, food issues going on. I wasn't hungry for a month. I had to almost force my husband to bring a pizza home. In fact I went out and got it and brought it home for them because they didn't want to eat in front of me.

food around you is going to happen. We can no longer use the excuse that it's not fair that everyone else can eat like that and we can't.

Some of you who are being harsh on the OP are way past the liquid stage of the diet. As a day 6 post-op, I feel your pain OP!

A friend of mine who had bypass a year ago kept a diary of her post-op experience and pulled it out when I needed some support during my sleeve journey. She was amazed at how hard it was - she had completely forgotten. I think some of you may have forgotten how hard this is too. It doesn't mean that OP is sabotaging herself - she said she did it once. It was a mistake, she recognized it right away, and admitted it.

I've been getting tired of the monotony of eating - it's hard to get any nutrition at all if the thought of drinking another damn Protein Shake makes you gag. Sometimes you need to "reset" your tastebuds. Today I took a tsp and dipped the tip of it in some hummus. I felt like I ate a filet mignon! It was exactly what I needed to be able to stomach that shake for lunch. And it didn't make me even remotely ill.

Cut the OP some slack. She came her for support, not to be scared or criticized.

No need to make someone who struggles feel even more ashamed than they already are. Its one think to give advice and another to judge. just because it was so easy for you to follow doesn't mean it is for everyone else. I was eating things I shouldn't on my liquid diet and I don't feel guilty. Your body will tell you what you need to know when you eat something you're not suppose to and you will go through the discomforts and learn what you can and cannot eat. I recommend staying with your diet and not cheat but I bet we are not the only ones who have cheated. Not many people will admit when they have cheated. But reading some of theses responses tick me off cuz it always turns in to omg I can't believe you would risk your life or omg you need counseling. Just cuz you had the sleeve does not make you an expert! Just sayin!

Totally True I agree I am Puerto Rican and my Family have a lot of gatherings too but we all fail just got to learn from it