Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg I Just Ate Cake 8 Days After Surgery

I don't think anyone is being an "alarmist" or "judging". We are all offering advice and, in a sense, support.

It is not alarming to let someone know that their actions with food can now potentially kill them. This is the truth, plain and simple. They should have been fully aware of this.

Furthermore, saying someone should look into counseling is valid. We all most likely had food addictions. We ate ourselves almost dead. Some people don't stop even after the sleeve, it is a tool. Some need some help to learn how to use it and get to the bottom of their food issues.

With all that said, Mishy I don't think you caused a leak or did any real damage. BUT STOP NOW. One bite of this and that is a slippery slope. I got sucked back into sugar way too early out and have been struggling since then to kick it. I didn't even eat it until 2 months out and immediately got hooked again. To start it again so early out is insane. I am stalling left and right and I know it is because I am struggling with sugar.

The sleeve is a tool and you need to learn how to use it.

There is just a way to give advice and a way to judge. There are many judgmental people on here who get snappy at people who struggle. They know its wrong or they know it could hurt them that's why they post on this site. I think people should just answer the questions asked not scold people. I've been scolded on here and it didn't help me all I got were a bunch of people telling me a bunch of crap I already knew. my point is think before you speak. Having the sleeve makes no one on here an expert on everyone else. Advice is fine, informing or trying to teach is fine. But to belittle someone because they struggled and cheated is out of line and makes me not yup even want to use this forum.

Puddiing, Jello, Cream Of ____ Soups, and Cream Of Wheat we're what got me through the liquid stage. I do admit though that I cheated 3 weeks out and had a slice of pizza and suffered for it.

Oh yea sugar free popcicles and fudgecicles were a saving grace as well. Felt like I was eating something I shouldn't when I had those and helped with the mental aspect of it all some.

I didn't get a leak from something I ate but I had one and I can tell you, you don't want one. Correct your mistake sweetie and stay on the path you chose...take charge,,you can do it!! Good luck!

There is just a way to give advice and a way to judge. There are many judgmental people on here who get snappy at people who struggle. They know its wrong or they know it could hurt them that's why they post on this site. I think people should just answer the questions asked not scold people. I've been scolded on here and it didn't help me all I got were a bunch of people telling me a bunch of crap I already knew. my point is think before you speak. Having the sleeve makes no one on here an expert on everyone else. Advice is fine' date=' informing or trying to teach is fine. But to belittle someone because they struggled and cheated is out of line and makes me not yup even want to use this forum.[/quote']

I'm sure no one was trying to judge or belittle anyone, but instead, out of concern for a fellow addict we were trying to point out the seriousness of the issue. Thisnt a diet program someone cheated on, it can be life or death...it's major surgery and I'd hate to see the real concerns not being addressed while someone s hugging you and saying it will all be ok. It may not be ok, only her doctor can give a qualified answer to that and I for one won't mince words when it comes to someone's safety.

As to the counseling issue....most of us need it :). Most offices have it for a reason. So that we can all learn to do the right thing for our bodies long term. She mentioned she didn't have pre or post op counseling...I think that if she is willing to risk such huge stakes while healing that she should get the proper form of health because I don't want to read she has a leak next week. Counseling isn't an insult. It's help that most of us need.

Certainly be conscious of what you eat, you don't want a leak, as Peacequeen states (I had one also, not caused by what I ate) they are not fun!! You know, rationalizing with the low calories you get in now will be ok NOW but when you are getting in higher calories and can't say no to that cake? Not good. I have an aunt who cheats her lapband, melts M&M's in the microwave, drinks sugary coffee drinks - guess what, she isn't losing, in fact she has gained back what she did lose. You can cheat your sleeve with all sorts of bad for you stuff. Some might make you feel sick like the cake but some might not. Just think of it this way - when you are at goal, you can have those things in moderation - and even when you are in the losing phase and ok'd for real food, on a special occasion I say go for a small piece. But don't do it now, when you are healing. And don't do it often later. These are the things that got us in trouble to begin with.

Oh yea sugar free popcicles and fudgecicles were a saving grace as well. Felt like I was eating something I shouldn't when I had those and helped with the mental aspect of it all some.

I didn't have fudgecicles, but that is how I treated popcicles. I wouldn't eat them everyday for that reason. So I had a "treat". I was on full liquids for a month. So I feel the pain

I think you will be alright! Its just your mind getting to you. Im 4 days out and have been good, just drinking Water, a little diluted juice and tried crystal light today. I had like 3 spoons of Jello yesterday, it didnt seem to make a difference. My husband just literally got done cooking himself lunch and it smells intoxicating! I want ot eat something now, but I knw I cant. I weighed myslef this am, even though I didnt really want to- have lost 12 pounds since my surgery check in weight. Im going to assume Im losing water at this point though lol. I just wish there was more stuff to have during clear liquid stage. My manual my doc gave me says Clear Liquids for 4 weeks! I can start Protein on day 8 though. pureed food starts on week 5, soft food week 7 (if all goes well). I cant even imagine it, but Im doing it. Just try again, and talking it out helps alot!

Hi Mina

Thanks for replying, I really do need a wake up call. No I didn't need to do any counseling, approval or a pre op diet. I just figured if I chew enough it would end up being like liquid form when it goes down and it may be ok, because I am only getting in about 500 cals a day and I thought it probably wouldn't matter too much. I know it is wrong and it's the wrong way to think, but I can't help it. I just feel like I am going to fail, I just don't have any willpower. :(

Are you using myfitnesspal.com or anything to chart your food and Water? If you aren't try using it. You have the willpower to do it, and you need to stop saying you feel like you are going to fail. The more you tell yourself that the more you are ingraining it into your subconscious that you will fail.

All things like Cake, Ice cream, Cookies, donuts, breads etc. end up being chewed and go down in a liquid form. Those are carbohydrates.

If you didn't have any of the pre-op stuff, then perhaps we should concentrate on giving you tips on what you should be concentrating on. #1 Water. #2 Protein. What you ate is strictly carbohydrates.

The reasoning behind this type of diet, Protein first is your body will use up the carbohydrates first, then when it uses up all the carbohydrates for energy it will convert your fat stores to carbohydrates. If you keep taking in high carbohydrates, you will never end up losing the fat.

I am not trying to alarm you, or make you feel bad or purposely setting out to be mean or judgmental, as stated by someone else, so I am grateful you see that I was just trying to give you a wake-up call. You CAN hurt yourself. Though there is nothing sharp in the cake or ice cream, you could throw up, gut wrenching barfs could cause your stomach harm, it could cause a stricture, it could cause dehydration. Going from no carbs to high carbs when you come down from the high sugars you could have some problems with insulin and then hypoglycemia which would shock your system. These are dangerous for your health. Throwing up too much could cause dehydration, which again is dangerous.

Sometimes we all need wake up calls.

I had a rough surgery I am still struggling to get in 450 calories and I'm almost 6 weeks out. I'm 49 years old, I have a brain tumor, I have Lupus, and I refuse to tell myself I am a failure, why should you tell yourself you are a failure.

You made a mistake, just don't make it again. If you are struggling, make a post on what your biggest issues are. If it's family gatherings, eat before or after them, find a way to socialize around the eating and not with the eating.

If you can get some psychological therapy, in which I think anyone that goes into this surgery should have, because I've seen so many posts saying, food is their best friend, their comfort, their this or that, that is something that needs to be dealt with because all your food issues will still be there after you remove 85% of your stomach.

If you need advice, I'll be happy to help you with tips to deal with it. Instead of cake or treats, try 1/2 a cup of skim milk, that fills me up, walk around, brush your teeth (the thought of eating after brushing my teeth deters me).

I hope you are feeling better this evening, and I hope you know that the depression you may be feeling is something we all have dealt with. It is a long road but you need to start giving yourself some positive affirmations. I was 6 days after surgery I was actually up 6 pounds and I was only drinking water, decaff tea and could barely get a few ounces of Isopure in a day. It could have had me all depressed, but I know it does get better.

Next year if you want a bite or two of cake, you will get to have it, but until you are healed and you reach your goal go into this knowing you are going to be a winner and failure isn't an option.

Best of luck.

I'm sure no one was trying to judge or belittle anyone' date=' but instead, out of concern for a fellow addict we were trying to point out the seriousness of the issue. Thisnt a diet program someone cheated on, it can be life or death...it's major surgery and I'd hate to see the real concerns not being addressed while someone s hugging you and saying it will all be ok. It may not be ok, only her doctor can give a qualified answer to that and I for one won't mince words when it comes to someone's safety.

As to the counseling issue....most of us need it :). Most offices have it for a reason. So that we can all learn to do the right thing for our bodies long term. She mentioned she didn't have pre or post op counseling...I think that if she is willing to risk such huge stakes while healing that she should get the proper form of health because I don't want to read she has a leak next week. Counseling isn't an insult. It's help that most of us need.[/quote']

I understand all that its the way people come at people like "I did/do it why can't you" i'm not saying everyone is judging cuz I know there are good intentions. But maybe you haven't experienced these folks like I have. there is a rude way and a respectful way to put things.

I understand where people can think some people are being judgemrntal but doing this sugery is a life change and to go back to old habits is kind of.like having out for nothing for the most part I believe people on here care about each other we are all in this together. Therapy is not a bad thing this coming from a therapist

Once you get through your post op recommendations and are ready to try new things, find ways to enjoy foods it like but in healthy ways. I had a hankering for something cake-like today and made Protein doughnuts in a mini pan...one is about 70 calories and has the bonus of Protein in it! Recipe is at worldaccordingtoeggface.com (search for doughnuts)

When I was at your stage, and I wanted something I shouldn't have I started looking for healthy recipes an saving them away for when I could have them. Helped a lot!

Nikki and Mishi I totally UNDERSTAND I am going crazy on full liquids! I find myself thinking only about fast food, alcohol and weed YES my weed. I'm not a big smoker about 3 times a week (bad days at work) and usually one weekend a night. But omg I slurped down some ramen noodle with added chicken broth and I tried to eat a noodle. Plus slurped about two full ounces down one teaspoon right after another and I admit I had a bite of pizza and chewed it up and spit it out. Gross? Hell yes but I just had to have a taste of it. I am in bad shape here! I can't even believe I have to stay here 3 weeks

I'm not sure that I have any room to say anything yet. My sleeve is coming and I am in the liquid diet. I have read several posts about cheating. Its hard, if it were easy I'm not sure any of us would be here. I personally believe that food addiction is insidious, its the only form of addiction where you have to partake in your drug of choice to live. That being said...

Control is something that you can give, but can never be given to you. Control is something that you take. In my life I have given control to food, but now I have taken it back. Its not something that is easy, I'm sure that I will stumble, but for right now I have taken back control. Sometimes I am only able to commit to minutes...for example....for the next 5 minutes I will not put something into my body that could potentially harm me, then when that 5 minutes passes I am in control for another 5. Soon that 5 minutes has become an hour, a day, a week and so on.

This isn't judgment, as I have said all of us stumble. Its not the stumble that hurts us, its our inability to stand up and move on. As hard as some will be on you for eating cake, they can never be as hard on you as you are on yourself. So pick yourself up, dust yourself off and take control for the next five minutes.